Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2006, 03:11 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chipboard - how to??

The new chipboard looks totally cool! I have never worked with it before. for those with experience - can you help a newbie?

How do you color an entire letter, like the Cover "a"? Just use your ink pad directly on it? Or do you think markers may work best (that's alot of coloring!)? How would you cover it with DS paper? Use the hobby knife to cut around the edges, or would you fold the paper over the edges (seems like alot of work)?

I think a tutorial on chipboard would be quite valuable!
Thank you!!
Lauren
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 03:47 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thanks for asking, I have never worked with it either. Please help us learn how to use it. In one of the "how to use it boxes" in the catty it says you can use them to trace a letter onto cardstock and then use your background stamp to add detail. Why would you trace it and cut it out, why wouldn't you just stamp directly onto the chipboard piece?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:36 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

From what I understand you can do just about anything you want to them!

You can paint them with acryllic paints, then sand to get that distressed look.

You can trace onto patterned paper, then mod podge or just glue onto the chipboard piece.

You can use the chipboard 'template' that the letters and shapes come in to trace onto regular cardstock too!

I'm very excited about this new product for SU! I also recently bought the crop a dial which will punch holes easily into chipboard!

I also have been saving that lighter weight chipboard that comes in the catalog boxes to use for paper crafting. Now we can trace and make even more chipboard letters from one purchase of the alpha chipboard pack!

Woo hoo SU!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:41 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurenv
The new chipboard looks totally cool! I have never worked with it before. for those with experience - can you help a newbie?

How do you color an entire letter, like the Cover "a"? Just use your ink pad directly on it? Or do you think markers may work best (that's alot of coloring!)? How would you cover it with DS paper? Use the hobby knife to cut around the edges, or would you fold the paper over the edges (seems like alot of work)?

I think a tutorial on chipboard would be quite valuable!
Thank you!!
Lauren
Lauren,

Use your brayer to cover it with ink. With paper cut a piece slightly larger than the shape you are working with, trim as close as possible with scissors to the shape, then use a sanding block to remove the excess paper. On the inked shape, use the sanding block to distress the edges of the chipboard. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #5  
Crimping Master

I have been playing the the Bazzil chipboard letters and shapes for the last six months. I have put them on paint cans, mini albums and scrapbook pages.

I have painted them with acrylic paint - the metalic paint looks great. I have traced, cut out deorative paper, adhered paper to shape and ink the edges for the distressed look. I have also stamped the entire shape with craft ink and embossed with clear embossing powder which makes them look like plastic letters.

You want to stamp on card stock rather than chipbord since it is smoother and the image is crisper. Chipboard is cardboard.

I am so excited that I can now teach chipboard in my stamping classes. I took several mini book classes a Creative Keepsakes Convention in Manchester, NH in May and chipboard shapes were used in most of these classes.

Tina R
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

sorry- I forgot to say, you will adhere the DS paper to the chipboard with adhesive of choice first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:46 AM   #7  
Glitter Queen

Default How do you adhere them?

What is the best adhesive for the chip boards - especially if putting them on paint cans?

Thanks!

ps - I have also actually used mine like stamps - paint them and press down - pretty fun and very cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:49 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by kls1973
Lauren,

Use your brayer to cover it with ink. With paper cut a piece slightly larger than the shape you are working with, trim as close as possible with scissors to the shape, then use a sanding block to remove the excess paper. On the inked shape, use the sanding block to distress the edges of the chipboard. HTH!
Of course! I knew there would be a better way - thank you for sharing your expertise!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:51 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

Thanks to everyone for the awesome ideas!! I am so excited about these!! Can't wait to play:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:52 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by missouritab
What is the best adhesive for the chip boards - especially if putting them on paint cans?

Thanks!

ps - I have also actually used mine like stamps - paint them and press down - pretty fun and very cute.
I think that on anything on a paint can, Xyron is the best. That all over stickiness just seems to be the best option for me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 04:54 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by raspuzzi
Chipboard is cardboard.

Tina R

Thank you for this - I was thinking that chipboard was a thicker wood, like Balsa wood.......
now it makes sense to me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:12 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

I use Sticky Strip to adhere the painted chipboard letters on the paint can. That is the best adhesive I have found.

Tina R
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:44 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Last year at convention one of the gals used the craft reinkers as paint. She put the reinker on a plate and used the flat watercolor brush to paint with. This way you could have coordinating colors.

Visit my small but growing gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 05:45 AM   #14  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love using chipboard accents. All of the above tips are very good. I really like to paint mine using the little craft acrylic paints and then sand. But to demo at a workshop, I think the brayer and ink tip is a good idea. To cover with paper, place your letter on the wrong side of the patterned paper and trace with a pencil then cut out. This way you don't see the pencil lines. Cut out with a pair of fine tip scissors. To adhere, I like those big sticky dots we sell or dimensionals....makes them stand out even more. Tie ribbon around the accent or punch holes and tie a ribbon through also for cute accents. Add brads or hodgepodge too. The sky's the limit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:16 AM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just made a list of all these great ideas to this point:
What to do with Chipboard

Chipboard is made out of cardboard so stamping directly on it will not leave crisp clear stamped images. For smoother and crisper images stamp on cardstock or paper first and adhere that to your chipboard.

You can use chipboard pieces for accents or use bigger pieces as backgrounds of covers. Add even more accessories to dress up your chipboard accents even more. Tie ribbon around the accent or punch holes and tie ribbon through that. You can also add brads or hodgepodge hardware.

You can paint them with acrylic paints; (the metallic paint looks great) then sand to get that distressed look.

You can also use the craft re-inkers as paint. Squeeze some of the ink onto a plate and use a flat brush to paint with. (This way you’ll have coordinating colors!)

You can trace onto patterned paper, then use Mod-Podge or just glue onto the chipboard.

You can use the chipboard 'template' that the letters and shapes come in to trace onto regular cardstock.

There is a tool you can purchase called a Crop-a-dial which will punch holes easily into chipboard.

Save lighter weight chipboard from packaging. Now you can trace and make even more chipboard projects.

Use your brayer to cover it with ink.

Cut patterned paper slightly larger than the shape you are working with. Adhere the paper to the chipboard with adhesive then trim against edges of shape with scissors. Use a sanding block to remove the excess paper.

On the inked shape, use the sanding block to distress the edges of the chipboard.

Use chipboard letters and shapes on paint cans, mini albums and scrapbook pages.

Cut shapes out decorative paper, and adhere paper to the chipboard. Then ink the edges for the distressed look.

Cover the entire shape with craft ink and emboss it with clear embossing powder to look like plastic letters.

It’s great to make mini books with chipboard covers.

For distressed images you can actually use the chipboard like stamps - paint them and then press down firmly with fingertips or brayer onto your project.

For paint cans use a Xyron or sticky strip tape to adhere chipboard to your project.

Use big sticky dots or dimensionals to add dimension to your project.
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...0&ppuser=16494

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:36 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a better edited list (sorry editing options were not available for me to edit the post above).
What to do with Chipboard
Chipboard is made out of cardboard so stamping directly on it will not leave crisp clear stamped images. For smoother and crisper images stamp on cardstock or paper first and adhere that to your chipboard.

You can use chipboard pieces for accents or use bigger pieces as backgrounds or covers. Add even more accessories to dress up your chipboard accents. Tie ribbon around the accent or punch holes and tie ribbon through that. You can also add brads or hodgepodge hardware.
You can paint them with acrylic paints; (the metallic paint looks great) then sand to get a distressed look.
You can also use the craft re-inkers as paint. Squeeze some of the ink onto a plate and use a flat brush to paint with. (This way you�ll have coordinating colors!)

You can trace cutout shapes onto patterned paper, then use Mod-Podge or glue to adhere to the chipboard.

You can use the excess chipboard backing from the punched out letters and shapes we sell as a 'template' for tracing to make other projects.

There is a tool you can purchase called a Crop-a-dial which will punch holes easily into chipboard.

Save lighter weight chipboard from packaging to use to make even more chipboard projects.
Use your brayer to cover it with ink.
When cutting shapes out decorative paper to cover a chipboard shape, cut the paper slightly larger than the shape you are working with. Adhere the paper to the chipboard with adhesive then trim against edges of shape with scissors. Use a sanding block to remove the excess paper. You can then ink of paint the edges of the chipboard if desired.
On the inked or painted chipboard shape you can use a sanding block to distress the edges.
You can use chipboard letters and shapes on paint cans, mini albums (makes great mini book covers) and scrapbook pages.

Cover the entire shape with craft ink and emboss it with clear embossing powder to look like plastic pieces.

For distressed images you can actually use the chipboard like stamps - paint them and then press down firmly with fingertips or brayer onto your project.
For paint cans use a Xyron or sticky strip tape to adhere chipboard to your project.
Use big sticky dots or dimensionals to add dimension to your project.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 08:56 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Wow - Thanks SO MUCH!! I will save this for reference when I get my hands on the chipboard packages!! Can't wait:-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:55 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

You can even emboss on it by adding versamark all over front, pour color of choice on, and heat. Repeat to build color up on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 11:44 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks so much for these instructions!!! I can't wait to order this!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My Chipboards

Okay...here is what I do.
1.) Pre-cut c/s or PP to approx 1/8 larger on each side than it needs to be (except in circumstance of Basic Grey tags - those are pre-punched.)

2.) Apply a generous layer of Mod Podge (**MATTE* finish variety) directly to the chipboard with an el-cheapo paintbrush - the kind that you get 12-for-$1 in the kids section at Michael's.

3.) Ensure that the piece is lined-up to your desire and press into place. For good measure and to ensure that the paper does not detach and curl, weigh it down with a heavy, clean, hard-cover book (I buy mine from the Goodwill store for $0.25 specifically for this purpose.)

4.) When the glue is completely dry (I generally stamp something [or 10] in the interim) using a *sharp* craft knife and trim the edges right up against the chipboard, being careful not to slice into the chipboard.

5.) Use a sanding block to remove both excess glue. For a weathered, rustic look, also remove the edges of some of the patterned paper. For a rustic look, apply some darker ink via DTP to the sanded edges.

TIP: I use one of the *many* fake "Discover" cards that I get in the mail each week to get rid of any air bubbles when pressing thinner paper into place.

TIP: When you're working with Double-sided paper, make certain that you adhere the *WRONG* side to the chipboard...:mrgreen: ...otherwise, you're either stuck with a pattern you don't want, you'll lose a layer of chipboard trying to remove wet & gummy adhesive & paper mess, or you have to wait for the whole thing to dry to start over. (I've done all of the above.)

Here are some of the pieces I've done...they're not in my gallery.
I�ve included both the �naked� chipboard and the �finished� or �near finished� pieces. First example are the Basic Grey tags (Oh, Girl! tag covering corresponding un-Distressed tag,) second is Bazzill Chips (oval, covered in SU d/s PP,) third is Rusty Pickle chipboard alphabet (covered in more SU d/s PP.)
Attached Thumbnails
Chipboard - how to??-bgtags.jpg   Chipboard - how to??-flowoval.jpg   Chipboard - how to??-letters.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:15 PM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Finally! I am able to attach my list including all of the info to this point. Enjoy and thanks for all the great ideas! Nan
Attached Files
File Type: doc What to do with Chipboard.doc (24.0 KB, 412 views)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2006, 06:18 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Okay, why would I go to ANY other website??

You guys are the BEST.

my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2006, 03:46 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

The chipboard letters I have are from Basic Grey - not Bazzil. Basic Grey also sells a set of precut alphabet letters from coordinating decorative paper which is the same size as the letters for $4. This was an easy way to cover the chipboard letters with matching decorative paper. I made name frames which were quick and looked great.

I am looking forward to making similar name frames now with new Stampin' Up! products which I can now teach as a class. The chipboard and new decorative paper are on my first order going in today.

Tina R
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2006, 07:12 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Check out this threat too. I posted a tips/instruction sheet to post #21. Enjoy, Nan

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2006, 08:15 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

OOps I posted to the wrong thread above. Here's a link to check out - The Many Faces of Chipboard:

http://www.scrapbookandcards.com/magazine.html#omeone shared:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by kls1973
Lauren,

Ditto on this technique. I learned to do this for wooden letters and it's amazing. I've done it on chipboard, so it works. It adheres the edges beautifully and keeps you from having to worry about cutting the paper out exactly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great ideas, ladies! Thanks to everyone who posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Hi ladies - just one more note on the chipboard craze. I have used mat board for the same purpose and these things make great scrapbooking embellishments, because unlike dimensionals or foam tape, you can't crush these once they are in your scrapbook. I usually run my cardstock thru the Zyron and then adhere to the matboard and using a fine grade sandpaper or SU's sanding block sand off the excess paper and smooth out the edges. A little DTP and it's done! Matboard is available wherever framing is done and many comapnies 'give' it away for nothing!! It is archival safe since this is also used for framing in museums and should last forever in our scrapbooks. I have a carl cutter and it is able to cut thru chip board or matboard. I can't wait to try out the new chipboard pieces from SU, but I will still use up my free stash of mat board! Try Lexicon of Love on a chipboard piece and you'll fall in love with this stuff! Happy Stamping! Tanya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2006, 06:18 AM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Creating Keepsakes Magazine in April 2006 has some really GREAT ideas on how to use ChipBoard. If you get a chance go to the library and check this mag out. I was hoping and wishing that SU would come out with chip board so that I could "teach" some of these techniques... I AM SOOOO VERY EXCITED TO SEE SU heard my prayers! ha ha ha
some of the ideas it has in the mag are:
Dye it and then emboss it.
Engrave it - (with a sharp tool scrape designs into it and then use a paint brush to paint over and wipe off any excess paint that don't fall into the cracks.
Punch em - with hole punches and such.. then tie ribbon through the punches... you can attached several letters to spell out a name or title.
They say, Use fabric to cover them (or cardstock)
You can sew on it.
Carefully cut lines in chip board after you have colored it... then carefully peel the top layer (or two) to creat a grooved design.
There are several magazine articles out right now to get inspiration... Chip board is definately a TREND right now... and I am excited that SU has jumped in on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2006, 06:55 PM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

thank you so much!!

Art is intended to provoke an emotion from a total stranger. If you�ve succeeded in this, consider yourself an artist. Paper Shanks Blog. Love me or hate me, you are still talking about me
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2006, 08:53 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

To add to the ideas above.....The last few times that I have used chipboard in my scrapbook I have used liquid chalk just around the edges to give it a bit of color but not too much. Works really well with pages that have an earthy feel to them. My sister has stamped on her letters with a flower stamp and then distressed it with sandpaper or the edge of scissors and this looks great too! Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2006, 12:20 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

Another easy way to cover the chipboard is using small ink pads like SU stampin' spots. They are really easy to manage (I think easier than a big pad, or a brayer or brush). You can use classic (dye) ink for more translucent coverage, or craft (pigment) ink for a smoother, more opaque look.
Reply With Quote Likes