Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-03-2006, 06:53 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm disappointed.........:(

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a couple of stamp sets (Spunky Greetings & Happy Easter) from Close To My Heart. I was so excited and couldn't wait for my package to get here.

I was away when they arrived and only recently sat down to test them out.

I'm more of a beginner stamper then I thought. When I ink the stamp it doesn't ink the way I want it too. I have to press really hard but then the acrylic block gets ink on it.....ugh I'm so frustrated. I bought ink pads in black, green and cranberry. So I can only stamp in those colors.

Someone told me that they use markers and stamp their image in black....then color it in. Thinking this was a bright idea I bought the Crayola Sketching markers because of the variety of colors.....another mistake. They bleed too much......so I should have bought something with a finer tip.

Does anyone else have these problems? Can you offer up some words of wisdom. I'm bummed out because I was so excited to start making cards. Now I'm not so confident! Should I just give up CTMH and invest in SU?

Ok....vent over.

Amanda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #2  
Watercolor Wizard

I've never used CTMH, and I wouldn't dream of saying to give them up without having first hand experience with them, but I would recommend contacting the demo you purchased them from and explain your concerns. Part of being a demo for EITHER company is customer service. If you aren't happy with the product, or need a hand with learning the techniques to use them, that is part of our jobs as demonstrators. If that doesn't work perhaps someone from the party you attended (assuming you attended a party) would be willing to give you a hand. And that is part of the fun of stamping, getting together with someone else who enjoys it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2006, 07:48 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Hi -

I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble with your CTMH stamps. Here are a few tips: Inside each stamp set is a foam piece, don't throw this away when you stamp put it under your project and your image should be much clearer. Also, stamps need to be seasoned so before you stamp ink and stamp off the stamp several times, that should help. You don't have to use CTMH ink pads with the stamp sets, so you can use other companies.

I can't help you with the markers other then I would invest in some fine tip markers

�So many of our dreams at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we summon the will, they soon become inevitable.�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2006, 07:59 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ-1
Someone told me that they use markers and stamp their image in black....then color it in. Thinking this was a bright idea I bought the Crayola Sketching markers because of the variety of colors.....another mistake. They bleed too much......so I should have bought something with a finer tip.
Most craft stores, and also WalMart and sometimes Target sell fine tip markers for stamping. If you're just starting out these might be worth trying before you invest in good quality markers, like SU Marvelous Markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2006, 08:16 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

I am so sorry your frustrated. It is hard to sit down and make cards when you dont think your getting anywhere.......I know how you feel.
I have a couple sets of CTMH stamps. I like them but I only use SU! ink pads. The CTMH ink pads are made like SU!'s so the ink is upside down but they are smaller. That may be where your having problems. They also tend to bow in the middle. I also dont like the way that they open, I always get ink on my fingers.
SU! ink is the best!
Hope I have helped!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

You have to have the foam piece under it..also if its a solid image it is much clearer to color it in with a marker and then stamp.
I think the CTMH stamps are not etched as deeply, its more like a watercolor image..tiny bit blurred ..not in a bad way but.....If you are used to using SU!, it is a change, a much diffeent look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 02:53 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ-1
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased a couple of stamp sets (Spunky Greetings & Happy Easter) from Close To My Heart. I was so excited and couldn't wait for my package to get here.

I was away when they arrived and only recently sat down to test them out.

I'm more of a beginner stamper then I thought. When I ink the stamp it doesn't ink the way I want it too. I have to press really hard but then the acrylic block gets ink on it.....ugh I'm so frustrated. I bought ink pads in black, green and cranberry. So I can only stamp in those colors.

Does anyone else have these problems? Can you offer up some words of wisdom. I'm bummed out because I was so excited to start making cards. Now I'm not so confident! Should I just give up CTMH and invest in SU?

Ok....vent over.

Amanda
When you want to stamp an outline image and then color it in, you need to use the black ink that is permanent and doesn't bleed. Then you can color in.

Leslie J
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #8  
Mini Quack

Default I"M

Hi and I agree that you need to talk to the person that you bought from...have her use your stamps and show you her opinions on things... I am not a big "acrylic" fan, I prefer SU...but that is what learned on...many prefer CTMH ... it is just a preference...
as far as the inks...they should be similar, again...have your demo use them and show you...
sorry...it is a disapiontment when you want to "create" and have spent $$... but do not give up... it will work... just ask for help...

Soni B
Live Life With a Smile
My Gallery
http://sonisfrontporch.blogspot.com/
Love being a part of MMTPTCC
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 04:38 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

You might want to try a different cardstock, too. Some take coloring much better than others. I wouldn't give up just yet!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #10  
Chat Box Chick

Sometimes when rubber stamps are new, the rubber has a "residue" on it from being molded. It seems like part of the image will ink fine but other parts won't. You can take a pencil with a pink eraser, and rub the eraser over the rubber. Then clean the stamp and try again. I have had it really help on some stamps! Hopefully it will help!

My Blog- Inky's Delight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default Thanks Everyone....

Unfortunately the demo I bought from lives in BC and I'm in Toronto but I have emailed her and she's going to get back to me.

I did use the foam thingie that came in the sleeve with the stamps. Maybe I do need to ink the stamp and stamp on to a piece of scrap paper to condition them. I'll try that later today.

I like the sentiments stamps but the other ones just weren't doing what I wanted them too I have been wanting to try Stampin' Up as well, so I'm going to contact the demo I know to see what I can buy. I won't give up on CTMH just yet though.

Thanks for the encouragement! You guys are great.

Amanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 06:54 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkStazOnMe
Sometimes when rubber stamps are new, the rubber has a "residue" on it from being molded. It seems like part of the image will ink fine but other parts won't. You can take a pencil with a pink eraser, and rub the eraser over the rubber. Then clean the stamp and try again. I have had it really help on some stamps! Hopefully it will help!
This is so true! Sometimes when the stamp is new/old and stored near sunlight or has sat for any length of time unused, areas of the rubber can start to hardened or dry. The other thing I've done with my BRAND NEW stamps is use my SU! Stampin' Scrub and SU! cleaner to clean any residue off them as well, usually works great!

I forgot to mention in my PM that I do own and use the wood mounted and new My Acrylix rubber stamps by CTMH! Just as good as SU!, which I own a b-zillion of too! ;)

Good Luck! Please don't be discouraged, as they say "brush yourself off and get back on that horse and try, try again!" You'll be so happy you did! Something like that anyway.....

((((Hugs))))
Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:00 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

I'm not a big fan of acrylic either. I believe that it is more difficult for a new stamper to master. As a new stamper, remember that having quality materials is important. Regardless of who the manufacturer is, a non-smearing black stamp pad should be your first purchase. You will use it more than any other stamp pad you buy.

Stamping is a lot of fun, but its not a cheap hobby. If you're going to spend your time stamping, make sure you have quality materials to work with. Every stamper has their favorite brands of inks and adhesives. I don't know any stamper who likes the crayola brand though. Crayola is made for kids, and if you purchase their products, you probably won't be too happy with your finished product.

Please don't give up!
Happy Stamping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:01 AM   #14  
Glitter Queen

I have two other suggestions: First, try turning your stamp rubber side up and applying the ink by tapping the pad onto the stamp instead of pressing the stamp to the ink. This way you can see how well your stamp is inking up and apply more where needed.

The Crayola markers that you bought might work very well for coloring directly onto the stamp before stamping on your paper. You do your coloring, highlighting and blending right on the stamp so you have more color options than your three stamp pads. Remember to "huff" on the inked surface to remoisten the ink before stamping on your paper.

Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-04-2006, 07:55 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I have both CTMH and I have SU-- I like both alot. The clear acrylic has a lot of advantages- but the SU wood stamps do as well. I am finding I love both & I find myself mixing and matching alot. As noted above-- try stamping on scrap paper a few times. Cleaning the residue works well-- as noted above. Do not push to hard-- and use the piece of foam if needed. I hardly use the foam--just once in a while when I can not get the image just right. I have both of those sets and they are among my favorites, If you need art ideas PM me I have a ton for the happy easter. if you are getting ink on the block you are pushing to hard on the ink pad. tapping a few times should do it.-- that solid egg in the happy easter set stamps best once its stamped off 1x. and since the set is clear-- you can re align it pretty easy. try different types of paper too. Practice-- Good Luck
Reply With Quote Likes