Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-26-2006, 03:24 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who UM and then CD stamps

I put all my leaves together, roses together, etc. How do you keep track of which go to which set? Does it even really matter? Do you stamp the images on a card and put it on the front of each CD case? I cannot see the need to do this except with words because one look reminds me of the stamp. I have put labels down the back with a main category followed by sub-categories. For example I have Flowers/ Roses/ 2 step style.

Share your hints about organizing when you switch to this method, please!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:18 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Annabelle....you are already waaaaay ahead of me. I keep mine in sets....though I think I will remove all the words and categorize those together. Yes, I do stamp a sheet of c/s cut to fit the inside of the cover. I also try to put the label on the end, but don't always get that done. I will do that when I reorganize when I move. More work then, but no time now! How do you store your CD cases? I have a few storage units, but of course I got them at Target and now they don't have any more of that style. I'm thinking of buying one of those HUGE units that store 500-1000 CDs....that might do the trick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:20 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't use CD cases for my UM. I use 6 x 9 catalog enve. cut in half. I have a 4 x 6 photo insert that my UM clings to. The contents are stamped on the front and I have over them in a Karen Foster Snap & scrap photo box.

I do keep all my SU set together, rather mounted or UM. I have a pgoto copy of each set in a 3 ring binder for fast refference. The binder is in the same order as my drawers, shelves and photo boxes. All other stamps are kept by theme, verse. flowers, oriental, etc.

I do not use cling or rubber cushion on my UM either. Just the rubber with Scotch Restickable Glue that holds it to my arcylic mounts. I use a piece of fun foam under my cardstock when I use UM and it work great.

This is just another way of storing rubber!

Karen

...My life is like a stroll on the beach...As near to the edge as I can go...Thoreau...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:34 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Long ago I got 2 wood look CD holder towers that are like shelves. They look really nice and 10" or so wide and about 4 feet tall. Each one holds 150 CD cases so I am set until I hit over 300 CD cases. I also have some plastic boxes that hold all my background stamps so they won't go in these main units. I am SO loving this new way of storing stamps. My stamp room already looks SO much bigger as I reduce the iris carts one by one. I am soon to be on hold until I receive my next Wilde Ideas order with my new sheets of EZ Mount and my sheets of Grafix Cling for the ones who have good foam to begin with. I am hoping it comes tomorrow so I can work on them over the long weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

How much does Wilde-Ideas charge for their EZMount? I usually get it from www.rubberstampdepot.com
But, since I get my Xyron refills from Wilde-Ideas, if the price is good, I may be able to save on shipping by buying them together. I have enough EZMount right now....stocked up at the last stamp convention I went to.
I probably have 300 CD cases now! Plus 3 shelves of a bookcase still full of wood mounted stamps that I need to convert. That was my goal for this year, until I became a demo....now that goal is out the window. Maybe I can get some of it finished....but, not all, that's for sure. My two 10 drawer Iris carts have all my miscellaneous 'stuff' in them, no stamps.
Thanks for all the info....sounds like you are well on your way to a VERY organized stamp room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 05:13 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

The Rubber Stamp Depot link won't work for me. I wanted to compare.

I paid $3.99 a sheet and then got in on a 10% off sale. One of the reasons I ordered from them was so I could also get my Grafix cling at the same time cheaper than I can find it elsewhere and also because the shipping prices are great. I have found down to $3.50 per sheet of EZ mount but those places charge huge shipping costs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 06:14 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Well, DUH! Do I feel like an idiot. It's:
http://www.rubberstampingdepot.com/S...untingFoam.htm

And, they aren't as cheap as I thought. Or their prices have gone up since I bought last. I'll have to check out Wilde-Ideas. Thanks for the tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 06:24 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Hi, I'm curious... so you don't mount the stamps? How do you use them? (Please don't laugh...I am kind of new)

I mean when you are doing a workshop, or are you just using the EZ Mount on personal stamps?

Last edited by gemxh7764; 05-26-2006 at 06:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

EZ mounting all of them. My SU demo has all hers EZ mounted too. She just puts her acrylic blocks out there and lets us go at it. She says the beauty of it is that she no longer ends up with ugly stained wood. Her stamps stay pristine. It has sold many of us to go to the same system. What convinced me was seeing her 8 full iris carts become a small bookshelf of highly organized stamps that were so much more useable. When we stamp as a group there are not inky blocky stamps all over the place and at home my table stays so much more clear for working room!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 07:29 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I organize mine according to subject. Of course, I don't have as many stamps as a lot of you. I've got about 60 M's stamps and they fit in 6 cd cases - animals are together, flowers/nature are together, birthday/celebration are together etc. I don't have any sort of index created as I've only got 9 cd cases at the moment (which hold over 80 stamps, btw - though not many SU ones for now) so it's easy for me to manage. I believe the index would be a good idea if you have hundreds of stamps to keep track of. I do keep my sets of SU together in a cd case and I stick the clear label to the spine of the cd to keep track (I'm so glad terrific tags and too terrific tags all fit in one cd case!)

I LOVE using unmounted stamps - the smaller space they take up is just a bonus!

Kelly Bee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 08:42 PM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Annabelle1947 could please explain what Grafix is and how you use it?

http://mysweetcards.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 09:00 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Grafix Clear Cling Vinyl is sheets of the clear cling without any foam. It is perfect for mounting stamps already with the foam like your SU stamps when they arrive. Saves LOTS of money because it runs less than $1 a huge sheet and saves time! You trim your SU stamps with the paper on the foam. Then peel off the paper and lay it directly on the vinyl sheet and then pull of the backing paper. You end up with something identical to the EZ mount at much savings. I use EZ mount only for the bare rubber stamps I buy or for those stamps that when heated come off without the glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2006, 09:18 PM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

So, does that mean that if I put my already mounted stamps into the microwave and remove them from the wood, if they are still sticky I can put the Grafix on the sticky part and be done?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 03:56 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by annabelle1974
I put all my leaves together, roses together, etc. How do you keep track of which go to which set? Does it even really matter? Do you stamp the images on a card and put it on the front of each CD case? I cannot see the need to do this except with words because one look reminds me of the stamp. I have put labels down the back with a main category followed by sub-categories. For example I have Flowers/ Roses/ 2 step style.
This is how I do it.
  • Stamps that come as a set, i.e. TAC and SU, stay in a set. I put them in my CD cases and label the end with the catalog number (like T-2634), name of the set and the number of stamps in it. Number of stamps is importand to me so I keep all the parts together.
  • Single stamps I unmounted are simply categorized by type - flowers, collage elements, faces, fish, etc.
  • For word stamps I cut a piece of paper to fit the front of the cd case and stamped them on it so I know what words are in what case. I plan to reorganize them at some point so that they are housed according to type - thanks, birthday, inspirational sayings, etc.
Organizing takes some time up front, but having everything well put together saves a LOT of time when you're stamping. Not only with your stamps, but other supplies. It keeps you from buying duplicates when you can't find the first box of glue dots. (Can you say 4 open packages of glue dots?) It's also sooooo much easier to create when you don't have to shove stuff off the table to have a 6 x 8" place to work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 06:58 AM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belly_Dancing
So, does that mean that if I put my already mounted stamps into the microwave and remove them from the wood, if they are still sticky I can put the Grafix on the sticky part and be done?
Exactly. It will save money and time and works very well. It is so easy to cut this stuff perfectly too! I only use the EZ mount on stamps where they don't come out sticky or on old foam stamps where you pull of the rubber and have just bare rubber. I also sometimes buy bare UM's and use EZ mount for them too. Otherwise 90% of my stamps just have the layer of Grafix on the already existing foam. Once stuck it becomes permanently stuck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:05 AM   #16  
The Digi-Freak

where can I get grafix?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:13 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I like www.wildeideas.com because their shipping is very cheap and they have many, many other products I use. I also buy my EZ mount there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:16 AM   #18  
The Digi-Freak

oh, I can't support that site after their treatment of a fellow SCS'er. They treated her pretty horribly when her package arrived missing several items and I just can't support them.

Is it a pretty widely available item though? Like HL and Michaels might have it?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 AM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Go to the Grafix site and use their store and online store locator.

In defense of Wilde Ideas, I have used them extensively and have never had anything but wonderful service. I received one item damaged and they replaced it through priority mail and I did not even have to send the damaged one back!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:33 AM   #20  
The Digi-Freak

not to beat a dead horse, but you may want to read this thread.... the owner of the company posted here and I find their responses enlightening as to their company's customer service:
Forums at Splitcoaststampers

Anyway, sorry to bring that up! I will definitely look for the grafix! that's a great tip, as I was getting ready to peel the rubber off my sticky-foamed stamps and get them ready to put on creative cling! I think you saved me some $!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:39 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Sorry I posted the wrong link. It is www.wilde-ideas.com

I am sorry someone had a bad experience. My stamp club and I have been using them extensively for years (about 20 women and myself) and no one has ever had anything but stellar service. When there have been a couple of minor problems they have been more than fair and fast in correcting these things. I am not sure one person should be allowed to ruin a company!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:42 AM   #22  
The Digi-Freak

you're right, and I'm sorry I hijacked your thread and brought it up here.

If Jane were not a personal friend, I probably wouldn't feel so strongly about it. But they are threatening her with legal action, and it is just not right to me.

I'm glad you've had good service in the past from them and I hope that continues for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 07:51 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

Thanks for your kind response mamakimberly. I appreciate your willingness to return to the topic on the UMs. I guess the other thread is the appropriate place for discussion of the company. That being said, I don't think anyone who has used it would deny that Grafix Vinyl Cling fills a much needed place with those of us going UM.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2006, 08:04 AM   #24  
The Digi-Freak

it looks like they do carry it at HL and Mike's too, so I'll be running out to see if I can get some today

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 11:30 AM   #25  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

PLEASE don't shoot me. I think you guys are all working too hard. I store my unmounted rubber, with NO backing in my CD cases which I have coated one side of with Tack it over and over.
I have put the same Tack it over and over on my acrylic blocks so that the unmounted rubber will stick to it when I stamp.
I always stamp on a large pile of paper so the cushioning is fine.
This works VERY well.
I have some EZ Mount pages and plastic storage sheets that I would sell if I wasn't so lazy, along with tons of little wooden blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 04:10 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

[QUOTE=annabelle1974]Go to the Grafix site and use their store and online store locator.

Annabelle,

Thank you so much for your help. This will make unmounting my stamps so much quicker. However, when I went to the Grafix site there were a few different types of Grafix to choose from. Which one do you use?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 05:40 PM   #27  
Mad Swapper

Mine comes in a package that is light green. In the top left corner it says Grafix 6 sheets of 9 x 12 Cling Vinyl, CLEAR.

Mamakimberly says her Michaels' has it for $7.99 for 9 sheets so it may come packaged a bit differently. It does come in varying colors and sizes. The most important thing is that you get the cling vinyl and not the other vinyl as it is non-stick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Smile Great EZ Mount Site

For anyone who would like to buy EZ Mount, this web site
http://www.stampandgo.com/cartMOUNTINGSUPPLIES.html
has an 8.5 x 13 inch sheet for $3.39 (scroll way down). They have flat rate shipping and great prices on every kind of ink pad and re-inker you can think of.
I have gotten excellent service on multiple orders from this site.
Anita
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2006, 08:23 PM   #29  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsbyanita
For anyone who would like to buy EZ Mount, this web site
http://www.stampandgo.com/cartMOUNTINGSUPPLIES.html
has an 8.5 x 13 inch sheet for $3.39 (scroll way down). They have flat rate shipping and great prices on every kind of ink pad and re-inker you can think of.
I have gotten excellent service on multiple orders from this site.
Anita
These are the BEST prices I have seen and I love that they have the gridded acrylic blocks. This site is a keeper! thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2006, 08:18 AM   #30  
Mad Swapper

A TAC rep told me that she thinks the Grafix is better quality and has better sticky to hold to the foam.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2006, 11:11 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

I am just starting to go UM With acrylic blocks.and never thought of buying a cd or dvd holder what a great idea.you can hold so many dvd in there.I only have a couple sets that are mounted right now.bUT gee takes up much less space this way.
I plan on storing my byt the set.whatever came with the set that is how it will be stored.seeing how if I want to sell or trade it later eveything will be right together and no guess or trying to locate what stamps came with that set.
I also read on another thread that a couple of people stamp the set with stazeon ink right on the cd itself.then when your all done stamping with it ,it goes right back in the same place all the time so you can just close the case and each image has a spot designated for it.I also have an album with the name and images of every stamp set I own.this way I can easily find certain images from different sets if I am looking for a certain item.
For instance certain sets have these little stamps in a set and you forget about them but when you have an album of all your sets you can find things much easier this way just flipping thru pages rather than pulling each set out to find something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

What the heck are you guys talking about? I feel like you're all speaking some strange, unfamiliar language. Seriously, what is this post about?
Reply With Quote Likes