Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-29-2004, 10:43 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prismacolor colored pencils

I just got my new Prismacolor pencils! Can't wait to play, I know I can't demo them, but they are so so nice! If anyone is looking for a great price on them, I was referred to www.aswexpress.com, and got the 72 count set in the metal tin, after all rebates for $40.94, and ordered, shipped, and delivered in under a week! The sale price of $44.99 and $15 rebate is only good until the 31st, so act quickly if you want them!
Just thought I'd share..........I thought it was a great value!

Valeie

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 11:12 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to neighbor_nancy
Default I love them and my Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils too!

I got my Albrecht Durer watercolor pencil set (120 pencils for 109 right now!) from them at http://www.aswexpress.com/

What is wonderful is that in addition to being a fantastic watercolor pencil and having more than a few colors, I can replace the ones I use most often (although on a different site http://www.dickblick.com/zz205/67/pr...m=0&ig_id=5612 - for only 1.19 each)

I use both my Prismacolor pencils and Albrecht Durer watercolor pencils on a regular basis. I LOVE coloring images!

Thanks for sharing info about the sale!

Nancy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 11:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I LOVE my Prismacolor pencils! I use them all the time. I bought mine with a 50% off coupon at Michael's about 2 yrs ago. I know I can't demo them, but I still love to play with them. Have fun with your new purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 12:25 PM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I tried at the 3 Michael's near us to buy them, but all they had was the 12 color set...not near enough colors! Then I found this deal, which was better than the coupon would have been!

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 04:31 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I just got the 24 pack at michaels the other week, to try with the Magic Colored Pencil technique...I am excited, but have to find the time! Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 04:49 PM   #6  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

What's the Magic Colored Pencil Technique, curious minds want to know!

Thx,
Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:11 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Default MCP Technique

I was introduced to this technique by my friend, Michele, who owns Purple Onion Design stamps....I will post a link to her instructions....and will try to copy/paste them, too....with the link, though, you can click on the example photos...if you just want the jist, then read on...Kerilou

http://www.twopeasinabucket.com/mb.a...read_id=139259

I have gotten quite a few emails on how I color many of my cards. I keep saying I will write something up to post so here it goes. I just took pics of a very simple example. It really has more impact when using darker colors and with larger areas of space. You can get a better idea when looking at the cards I have posted. This example was done in a few seconds but will give you an idea of what you do.

My Cards

The coloring technique I am most hooked on for my images is known as Magic Colored Pencil. It is very easy and tends to be fool proof. Magic Colored Pencil makes the colors "pop" & and gives a great shaded look. The technique involves coloring with colored pencils and then breaking down the pigment with mineral spirits & a blending stump. The stumps are traditionally used with pastels. They are dipped into the mineral spirits and the image is colored by moving around the color with the stump.

Materials Needed:

Waterproof Dye Ink (Archival, Memories, Ancient Page)
Prismacolor Pencils (or other good quality colored pencils)
Odorless Mineral Spirits
Blending stumps or Tortilions (# 5 or #6 & small one for little areas)
Magic Rub or White Plastic Eraser
Pencil Sharpener
Fine emery board or Sanding Lead Pointer (sandpaper paddle for pencils)
Stamps
Cardstock
Prismacolor Colorless Blender Pencil (optional)

Click here to see a pic of the supplies used

1. Stamp your image using the waterproof ink. I tend to stamp alot in black. Make sure the
image(s) are completely dry. This shouldn't take more than a few seconds.

2. Next pick out your colored pencil palette. You should try to use about 3 different colors. This doesn't necessarily mean you will only use 3 pencils but 3 color families. You could use 2 or 3 shades of a color within that family. Using too many color families makes the coloring too busy.

3. Now take your pencil and lay down a line of color along the inside of the stamped lines. You always want to start lighter and add more color when needed. Also, add lines of color in any shaded areas of your stamped image.

Figure 1

4. Take the largest blending stump and lightly dip it into the mineral spirits. Make sure you tap the stump a few times on a piece of scrap paper before blending. You don't want the tip to be too wet.

5. Start to break down the pigment by rubbing the stump back and forth along your colored line. Start in one area and as the color starts to break down move your stump in small circular motions to pull the color into the open area.

6. Add more colored lines if you want more shading or if an area has a large open space and needs more color. The object is to leave the center lighter to create the shading. You can use the eraser to remove color if there is too much.

figure 2

7. You will need to sand off the old color before switching to a new color. Use the sanding paddle or an emery board to do this. Remember to try and keep a pointed shape to the stump. Once all the color is removed you are ready to move to the next. I usually scribble with the stump as I am tapping off the mineral spirits to make sure there is no residual color before starting up again.

8. Now your ready to lay the lines for your next color. You can also use more than one shade if you care too. I normally stick with just one color and am happy with the results. I added a few lines of a darker yellow to the daffodils on this example.

figure 3

9. Once again dip the stump in the spirits, tap off and begin breaking down the color. Add or remove color as desired.

figure 4

10. Keep repeating the steps till you are finished.

I also use a Prismacolor Colorless Blender pencil for small areas where the stump will not work too well. This pencil blends the color and smooths out some of the lines.

I hope I hit all the important parts. Please post any questions you may have. Once again take a look at my cards for better examples of the way the technique looks.

***UPDATE on locating Odorless Mineral Spirits***

It seems some people have problems finding this product. Your best bet is probably a local art store. If you don't have one then one of the major craft stores will hopefully have an equivalent product.

I happen to use odorless mineral spirits from a home improvement store. I have had it in the house for refinishing furniture way before I started stamping. I just decided to use that.

These are some of the product names others have mentioned within this post when trying to locate the odorless mineral spirits.

This is from Debbie Gimbel:

Hi, there, I just had to poke my nose here, as I am the mad inventor of Magic Colored Pencil. I'd be real happy if you used Gamsol Odorless Mineral Spirits, and certainly not turpentine- so much safer. You can order it from Dick Blick or Art Supply Warehouse - and they both have good quality stumps by the dozen (and yes, they are cheaper by the dozen - love to say that

Then other names to possibly be found at both the art or craft stores:

Sansodor by Windsor Newton
Gamlin Gamsol
Mona Lisa Artist Odorless Paint Thinner by Houston Arts (if you read the label it supposedly says 100% odorless mineral spirits).

I hope this helps!

~michele
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #8  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

WOW, thanks for the tutorial! I'll have to give this a try.....I think I have most, if not all, of the required tools.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 06:23 PM   #9  
Embossing Fanatic

I have a few of the watercolors but i have a set of the colored pencils and i just love them

~inkyfingers4u
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:53 PM   #10  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Prismacolors! My favorite!! :-D I have a hard time demoing the solid color pencils just because I have a 120-set of Prismacolors and can pick a shade to my heart's content from them. . .

I used a set of 72 all the way through college in my art classes and finally gave them to my younger sister a few years ago and got the larger set. Honestly, the set of 72 was just as good as 120--maybe better since they are in a smaller box that you might just use more.

Prismacolors have more pigment and less waxy binder than many other colored pencils out there, and they can also be replaced one pencil at a time when you have used a color up.

Thanks for the tutorial from Michele too!
My SCS Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 01:37 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for the info. I've been wanting these for a long time. Where can I find the information on the $15 rebate?

Thanks,
Santell
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 01:53 PM   #12  
Crimping Master

Oh, how I wish SU sold Prismacolors! These are my favorite FAVORITE artist's material ever invented (really!). I got the 120 box set back in college (way back in 1981) and I still have them. They are so great. I do have SU watercolor pencils for demoing, but I use these much more often in "real life". They are not nearly as fragile as the pure color pencils. I'm a little scared of those, to tell you the truth!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Default update!!

Okay, tonite i tried this technique for the first time...all I can say is WOW!! It is alot like using the SU watercolor pencils, and a blender pen, but the paper doesn't get all eaten up if you rub it too much....try it, you won't be sorry..very theraputic, too..Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 05:12 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Just an FYI - Prismacolor also makes a blending pencil. It is sold with the individual colors. It works great for taking the lines out and for blending the colors together. I use it all the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 06:17 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

I tried doing on a search on the Prismacolors and the Albrecht Durer watercolor pencil set and it said no records found. What am I doing wrong?!?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2004, 06:47 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

I have had the box of 48 prismacolors for years ( about 7 years), I love them , always have. They are wonderful. I also have the blending pencil. Great stuff!

I use SU!'s watercolor pencils also. They are great. My MIL uses another watercolor brand that work nicely too.

I also have about 50 Crayola colored pencils- not comparable to either the above but, tolerable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:24 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Kendra---I got the colorless blenders yesterday! Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 06:35 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by 11Valerie11
I tried at the 3 Michael's near us to buy them, but all they had was the 12 color set...not near enough colors! Then I found this deal, which was better than the coupon would have been!

Valerie
Most drafting/art supply stores carry them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 07:19 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ASW sale ends today (Friday 12/31). I called about the rebate & was told that it's mentioned in the catalog but not online: $15 mail-in rebate with purchase of 72-color set and $30 with purchase of the 120-color set. I was also told that the 72-color set comes in a cardboard box, not a tin.

They didn't carry the Prismacolor blending pencil & said they didn't think Prismacolor made it any more, but weren't sure. You can get various sizes "blending stomps" though.

Shipping is by dollar amount.

I also ended up getting two wooden mannikins for $3.99 ea. - of course I don't need them, but....

http://www.aswexpress.com/art-supply.../0046720000000
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I got the colorless blender pencils at Michael's yesterday...they were in a 2 pack for 2.79....hanging on a hook up above the shelves...Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 01:25 PM   #21  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

FYI - As far as the tin vs. the box, I received the tin..........also included 2 art stix and a sharpener, even though the ad said box.

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 01:37 PM   #22  
Mad Swapper

I like the box better than the tin. It sets upright at slant and you can see all the colors (similar to crayola crayon 64 count box)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 02:13 PM   #23  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Now that I have the tin, I can certainly see the advantage to the box and its setup...........with the tin they have trays that have to be removed to get to the lower colors. No worries, I am just so happy to have them, finally!

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 09:35 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I got my set of 36 today at HobbyLobby they came in a tin haven't had a chance to play with them yet. so i guess i know what i will be doing this weekend

inkyfingers4u
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2004, 10:21 PM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

I've had the pencils for some time and just bought the Nupastels, (on sale at Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago), has anyone use them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2005, 03:45 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have been thinking about getting the prismacolor colored pencils because of all the color options. My only question is are theyacid free? I can't tell from the display at Michaels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 01:07 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I went to Michaels yesterday and got a set of prismacolor pencils.. all of their sets are 50% this week plus they had a mail in rebate so instead of paying $60 I will end up paying about $15.. incredible deal. I found everything else I needed there too.

I used prismas in college and so wish I had learned this technique then.. it turns out so neat! I could have used this on many projects!!

I did some experimenting as well. You really can get the same sort of effect with the watercolor pencils and a blender pen.. but not as fine as this new technique.. the blending looks so smooth! Plus the color selection with prisma pencils is way more impressive. And yes I agree.. how theraputic this is.. I am one who loves to watercolor pages images as well to destress myself. This will be another technique I keep close to my side!

Hopefully I can get some card samples up of finished cards... I have half a page colored from just last night.

Does anyone have samples up yet using this technique? Please share! I perused the 2peas site and was really excited by what I saw there.

Heather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2005, 01:57 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 123 Likes on 59 Posts

I got the BIG box of Prismacolors on sale awhile ago - actually I haven't used them much! They are put away, and out of sight, out of mind, you know! I remember that on 2Peas we had a discussion about how to sharpen them. Some gals said you shouldn't use an electric sharpener because that could break the lead inside the pencil. I used a hand-held Prismacolor sharpener, and that seemed to eat up the pencil!

Wouldn't it be awesome to have this quality of pencils in all of the SU colors? Has anyone tried to match the SU colors to the Prismacolors?

I also have a big set of Cretacolor Pastel pencils - they're kinda like our pastels, but in a pencil. I used them a lot with blender pens - just take the color right off the tip of the pencil. Since I became a demo I haven't used either of these pencils sets!! :oops:

Susan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2005, 06:26 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I waited and waited for the Michael's in my area to get more than just the 12 count box, it never seemed to happen and that is why I shopped the internet

Valerie

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

so, has anyone else tried this Magic Colored Pencil technique yet?? Kerilou
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2005, 10:44 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

KITTT
for all of those people still wondering, this link is great, thanks Kerilou!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2005, 07:55 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

This technique looks really neat, and I am dying to try it. Does anybody know if it is safe to use in scrapbooks?

Thanks,
Janna
Reply With Quote Likes