Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:08 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb New Stamper Needs Help

Hi! I'm new to stamping and card making and would like any tips you have to make a card go from Flab to fab. If you have any tips, I would appreciate them and any other advice you may have to offer. Thanks. :???:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:25 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

embellishments are the way to go, whether you use eyelets, brads, ribbon or glitter they are all sure to make your card POP!

My avatar is my hubby and my girls at Santa Cruz beach.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with kkrenn, embellishments give your card that extra little umph.

I found for me sometimes going out of my "comfort zone" and trying new techniques really help too.

The only other thing I would suggest is just browse the gallery and case a few that you really like. You will find that you really can do all the neat things that everyone else is doing. Once you have done a few, you will also build your confidence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yeah...what she said! I love to use metal and ribbon on mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:28 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Smile

Hi there - Have you had a chance to peruse the gallery yet? It's a great place to get some inspiration and see the current stamping trends. You'll also be able to see what people are doing to add embellishments to their cards.

One of my favorite techniques to dress up a card is to add texture - either with my cardstock or illusion. Like a background stamp in tone on tone or using Versamark to create a watermark.

My SCS gallery: https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...00&ppuser=8965
My Webshots gallery: http://client.webshots.com/user/tbenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:32 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Hi!

I can say that my stamping has improved SO MUCH since I found this place! Just copy copy copy... that's the way to learn, by imitating what you think is awesome.

Have you tried the challenges? My stamping has grown a lot since I started doing the challenges. Here's a link to the forum: Forums at Splitcoaststampers. There is a new challenge posted every day except Sundays (since there is no uploading on Sundays!).

Give the challenges a try, you'll surprise yourself!

Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 06:44 AM   #7  
PAPER SCAPER

For me, I love layers and not much naked cardstock unless it's textured but I also like simple and for someone who is just starting out here is gallery to view that is pure elegance the simple way.
JulieHRR's Gallery at Splitcoaststampers

I think the more layers the better, I do about three and love to see black but it's hard for some stampers to get layers even until you've been doing it a while.
I also like sponging on a card and once again with practice you'll be doing a card in 30 seconds or less and what a differnce in depth it can make. Just type in sponging in the gallery search bar and feel free to ask question on tehniques, most stampers don't mind sharing.

One thing that really helped my stamping is the challenges and you can click on them from my signature. Once again if you have questions just ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 07:03 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I would suggest you go through the galleries. Look at the cards that catch your eye. Ask yourself, what is it about the card that you like? Is it the color combination, the layout, the embellishments, the backgrounds, etc. Don't be afraid to print them out so you can study them. Then try to duplicate the looks you like. Takes some trial and error to figure out which things work together and which don't. Also try the challenges as others have already said. They're a great learning tool and give you lots of samples of specific techniques. HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Thank you for your advice. It helped... a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 09:08 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Browsing others card is a great way to learn. Also click on the resources at the top for tutorials on different techniques.
And just practice practice practice. When you look at your first cards then look at your work a year later you'll be amazed at the difference. Card making is like most anything else, the more you do it the better you get!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:05 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

CASE copy and steal everything! I agree with those who say to look in the gallery. I have made several cards that I love from other peoples layouts and color schemes. Even when you are getting your insiration from someone else, your card is all your own and you are learning. The more cards you make, the more you will learn. I do like layers and embelishments--I admit I'm a sucker for all those fancy techniques, too. I spend hours looking at the new technique forum and getting ideas from there. Sounds pathetic, but I'm having a blast!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:18 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Backgrounds, backgrounds, backgrounds!!! And it doesn't have to be an actual background stamp either. I don't use a ton of embellishments because 1)they are expensive, 2)I have limited storage space and 3)when I stamp it looks like my dining room table vomited up a craft store. The less I take out to work with, the better.

You can create interest and depth on plain cardstock by stamping with versamark or the same color ink, or even a different one for the background. Use one stamp or layer a couple. If you are layering cardstock, stamping a different background or pattern on the little bit that is showing can add a little something too. One other thing you can do is use DTP (direct to paper). I like to run the edges of my main image across the ink pad -either the same color that I am layering on, or another one from somewhere else in the card. It makes that center image pop a little bit more.

Have fun and keep experimenting and playing!

My stuff (I think I am starting to get the hang of this obsession!):
http://gallery.splitcoaststampers.co...00&ppuser=7739
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:22 AM   #13  
Kookie Creator

gallery and embellishments and get some cardmaking/ scrapbooking magazine...they have a wealth of info and inspiration!

www.celebratinghome.com/sites/lorettan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 11:04 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Try sponging the edges of your cardstock. It looks great and you don't have to spend any money to get new tools - I like to use cotton balls. Like everyone else said, check out the gallery and you'll see lots of cool examples.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #15  
Compulsive Stamper

I have been stamping for 14 years and it pains me to look back at my first years of stamping. Over the years I have gotten many people into stamping and taught them many tricks. I always tell them to use my experience to skip over the the first few phases so you are comfortable and pleased with your work.

First and foremost, keep it simple! You can get in to more time- consuming and complicated tecniques gradually. What is simple? Layers, using all solid or with a patterned paper thrown in. Colors! I tell everyone to pick a color combo that appeals to their eye or style. Ribbon. Ribbon is affordable and just adding a small piece with a glue dot or putting it around the whole card is easy and adds dimension and texture. Folds. Simple, different folds make a card stand out. Tearing. Adds dimension and texture and can be done with one good fingernail. Finally, copy!!! This gallery is the best thing since sliced bread. You do not need to copy the entire card but if one thing catches your eye in a project, adapt it to a simple card or page or project.

Best of all, be proud of everything you do. Whatever it is, someone is out there appreciating the time you took for them and showing it off. These things we make are saved and treasured almost all the time. They truly are special gifts.

Enjoy, keep stamping and relax! Nothing is or needs to be perfect but just truly from our creative hearts.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 12:56 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Embossing powder! It leaves your image looking so professional and it is so easy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 02:03 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Hello and welcome!!

My suggestion is background stamps. They really give that extra something to a card. I just recently bought my first 2 and have 3 more on the way. Since I started using them, I am so much more impressed. It gives more texture to the card. And of course ribbon. I think I'm a ribbon nut right now. LOL.

Have fun and start a gallery if you haven't already!:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 02:57 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

Thumbs up

Maybe you could teach me how to start a gallary? I have a few cards I have photos of on my home PC and would love honest imput about them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2006, 04:29 PM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Stickles! A little bit of Stickles always adds just the right amount of bling!!
Reply With Quote Likes