Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Misti stamp tool - cleaning & use - just received mine

I just received my Misti stamp tool (12x12) and it has 2 pads with it. The note says to use the thin foam for rubber cling mount stamps and both with photopolymer stamps. ???? Is "rubber cling mount" a red rubber type? And "photopolymer" a clear cling stamp? Google was not helpful.

All my stamps are unmounted but I use Tack N Peel on my clear blocks to hold non cling stamps. What do you use on the Misti to hold stamps that are not cling type?

How do you clean the acrylic without damaging it? Do I need a special cleaner?

Thank you in advance for all your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #2  
Cardstock Collector

There are some good youtubes on how to use your Misti.
For ink spots I have a wet paper towel near to wipe with as I use it. I have used glass cleaner too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of Misti - a lot of fun will ensue.

To answer you question - the rubber cling mount refers to any stamps that have an attached pad; typically these are the red rubber (but I've seen gray rubber stamps with a pad as well). The "cling" stamps are either bare rubber or the clear photopolymer stamps - they don't have any pad with them. Basically, it comes down to thickness - if it's thick, 1 pad; if it's thin, 2 pads.

In terms of cleaning your Misti lid, for dye ink, a quick rub with a towel does the trick. For Staz-On, you will likely need something else to help get rid of any ink - there are a few discussion threads on this that will give pointers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 09:05 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Thank you

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanvm
View Post

Welcome to the wonderful world of Misti - a lot of fun will ensue.

To answer you question - the rubber cling mount refers to any stamps that have an attached pad; typically these are the red rubber (but I've seen gray rubber stamps with a pad as well). The "cling" stamps are either bare rubber or the clear photopolymer stamps - they don't have any pad with them. Basically, it comes down to thickness - if it's thick, 1 pad; if it's thin, 2 pads.

In terms of cleaning your Misti lid, for dye ink, a quick rub with a towel does the trick. For Staz-On, you will likely need something else to help get rid of any ink - there are a few discussion threads on this that will give pointers.

Thank you susanvm! That is very helpful and exactly what I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Tim Holtzs advice for cleaning his platform was hand sanitiser, It shifts any ink, Staz-on included. I'd imagine the Misti would be the same.
On stamp types- I have often found it better to be guided by the thickness of the stamp, rather than what it says on the product. For instance, Clarity brand stamps are clear photopolymer, so you'd put them on the 'clear' side/ use the recommended pads. However, Clarity stamps are super thick, thicker than many rubber stamps, so they're actually better used with the 'rubber' info.
To adhere bare rubber stamps, I've found a glue stick swiped across the back works fine, and can easily be wiped off afterwards. Again, these stamps are really thin, so you'd use them with the 'clear stamps' info.

Last edited by shazsilverwolf; 07-29-2020 at 09:46 AM.. Reason: forgot something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

When I first bought my MISTI (one of the original made-by-hand ones), Nova plastic cleaner was the recommendation. It was hard to find (and expensive), but I bought some and didn't love it. I'm not sure if the MISTI is made with the same "acrylic" as Tim's stamp platform, but I would be leery of anything containing alcohol. My acrylic blocks have crazing and cloudiness as a result of using something with alcohol in it.I usually hit the platform with whatever I just cleaned the stamps with - microfiber cloth + water or Simple Green or Ultra Clean (depending on ink used), or a baby wipe. Not too fussy and my MISTI shows it, lol... Still performs like a champ, though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,700 Likes on 1,827 Posts

As Sue said, Nova plastic cleaner is the recommendation. I have the second issue one, maybe, as it is not the hand-made one that Sue is referring to. Basically I clean mine with stamp cleaner, no alcohol, when it has ink that will not easily come off. If I use Archival ink, which I often use with watercolor, I tend to clean it with the Nova cleaner. I have never used the second cleaner she recommends for scratches, as I have never had a scratch.

Enjoy your MISTI! I love mine and use it all of the time.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 01:41 PM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an original MISTI too. When I couldn't get the NOVA plastic cleaner locally I emailed My Sweet Petunia and was told you can use plastic cleaner also. It's what is used to clean and polish plastic headlights. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the car cleaning aisle. It can also be used on plexiglass, brake lights, plastic convertible windows, motorcycle windscreens, helmet face shields, boat windows, bug deflectors and CD's. Most of the times I just use a baby wipe as soon as I can and save the plastic polish for the most stubborn stains.

Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish, 10 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2020, 05:47 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by August29
View Post

I have an original MISTI too. When I couldn't get the NOVA plastic cleaner locally I emailed My Sweet Petunia and was told you can use plastic cleaner also. It's what is used to clean and polish plastic headlights. I got mine at Wal-Mart in the car cleaning aisle. It can also be used on plexiglass, brake lights, plastic convertible windows, motorcycle windscreens, helmet face shields, boat windows, bug deflectors and CD's. Most of the times I just use a baby wipe as soon as I can and save the plastic polish for the most stubborn stains.

Meguiar's G12310 PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner & Polish, 10 oz - Walmart.com - Walmart.com

Thanks for the heads-up - I'll have to investigate this. I typically don't have a problem with just a bit of water, but if I do, this might be the way to go.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

OK, so I have discovered "The cat's meow" for using plain red rubber in the MISTI.

Now I must say that someone (I can't find it again!) put a piece of tack-n-peel on a sheet of cling vinyl and places the cling vinyl on the MISTI door when using nekkid red rubber. I've not tried that, but I've seen others use this method.

However, the greatest solution I've found is this: Purple Onion Designs makes what they call a "Clear Mounting Stamp". It is a clear piece of something that comes protected with plastic on both sides. Instead of me describing how it works, watch this video:
Using Red Rubber stamps: no more mounting! - YouTube
It can be used for any size of red rubber that has no mounting foam on it.

It is often out of stock at Purple Onion's website and you need to ask to be notified when it's in stock and then order it as soon as possible! I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and it is truly "the cat's meow!"

Edited to Add: It is currently in stock at Purple Onion, and comes in two sizes. Here's a link:
Shop - Stamping Supplies - Purple Onion Designs
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 08-01-2020 at 11:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-01-2020, 11:28 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I know, I'm an enabler. It comes with the territory!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 06:33 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
OK, so I have discovered "The cat's meow" for using plain red rubber in the MISTI.

Now I must say that someone (I can't find it again!) put a piece of tack-n-peel on a sheet of cling vinyl and places the cling vinyl on the MISTI door when using nekkid red rubber. I've not tried that, but I've seen others use this method.

However, the greatest solution I've found is this: Purple Onion Designs makes what they call a "Clear Mounting Stamp". It is a clear piece of something that comes protected with plastic on both sides. Instead of me describing how it works, watch this video:

It is often out of stock at Purple Onion's website and you need to ask to be notified when it's in stock and then order it as soon as possible! I got mine a couple of weeks ago, and it is truly "the cat's meow!"

Edited to Add: It is currently in stock at Purple Onion, and comes in two sizes. Here's a link:

Diane,
I think SU has the same, or similar, product available to make stamps without cling (think SU former cling stamps that wouldn’t cling!)
It’s a new product in the annual catalog. It’s called Cling Adhesive - 152452 is the ordering number. Price is $8 for 5? Sheets that are about 5x7.
I am on my second package of these. It has excellent cling, and once you get the hang of how to apply it to the back of the red rubber, it’s simple to use.

Recommendation from me is to make squiggle lines with sharpie marker all over the back side of each sheet of release paper. That way if you have a small piece left over, or cut it from big sheet, you don’t have to guess which side is the back side (part that clings to stamp) of the product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

PS. As others have mentioned, DO NOT use any product that has ALCOHOL to clean your MISTI. It will leave a permanent Etched smear mark on your plate.

I used alcohol on a bedtime reading light that had similar acrylic plate and ruined it. Live and learn...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 06:58 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

A great place to find the Novus (not Nova) cleaner is a motorcycle shop. And the Memory MISTI is quite an investment, so I wouldn't use alcohol to clean it.

Last edited by uncbballfan; 08-03-2020 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: Addl'l info
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 07:09 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossView Post
Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51

Diane,
I think SU has the same, or similar, product available to make stamps without cling (think SU former cling stamps that wouldn’t cling!)
It’s a new product in the annual catalog. It’s called Cling Adhesive - 152452 is the ordering number. Price is $8 for 5? Sheets that are about 5x7.
I am on my second package of these. It has excellent cling, and once you get the hang of how to apply it to the back of the red rubber, it’s simple to use.

Recommendation from me is to make squiggle lines with sharpie marker all over the back side of each sheet of release paper. That way if you have a small piece left over, or cut it from big sheet, you don’t have to guess which side is the back side (part that clings to stamp) of the product.

Not to argue, but these are not the same product. The one Diane is talking about is not permanent on the stamp. The one you are referring to is permanent when applied to the stamp.

I own neither. I do see the one Diane posted to be quite helpful when going to bare rubber and not wanting additional adhesive. I also see the one that SU has to make the older sets now cling as useful. I basically have not applied stickers to any of my red rubber sets and use them all as cling mount ones.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 11:02 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quick report back on SU Cling Adhesive. It may not be designed to use on bare red rubber stamps, but it works quite well.

I just experimented with the SU cling adhesive on the back of bare red rubber stamp that I had removed from a SU wheel/roller stamp. This rubber was clean, there was no trace of old adhesive on rubber. I applied the cling adhesive to the back of the rubber, popped it in the MIST and stamped.
Worked great!
The rubber held securely to the acrylic plate for repeated stamping and released from the MISTI like a regular cling stamp. For storage, I placed the stamp on a slim strip of stamp storage sheet. Easy peasy!
As for it being permanent, I’m pretty sure I could remove it by using a pokey tool to lift it off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you so much, Susy. I was having understanding, so I really thought they worked differently. Glad you did the experiment. I need to purchase some of that new cling for rubber stamps from other companies that have a sticker and just will not stick.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 02:26 PM   #18  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Thank you so much, Susy. I was having understanding, so I really thought they worked differently. Glad you did the experiment. I need to purchase some of that new cling for rubber stamps from other companies that have a sticker and just will not stick.

You are welcome! I’m so glad you pointed out to me that the product might not work on bare red rubber. I totally forgot I HAD bare rubber stamps that were lingering in a drawer in unusable condition! Your comment lead to this serendipitous discovery. So thanks back at ya!

One important detail to keep in mind, the back of the red rubber needs to be squeaky clean, with no debris leftover from other adhesion methods. I’m certain that if there was any gunk on the surface of the rubber, the cling adhesive would not stick securely to the surface.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Talking Wow!

Quote:

Oh my! This is awesome. I need to decide which size to order. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Popping in to post a link to a video by SimplySimpleStamping that shows how to apply/use the new SU Cling Adhesive. Her tips are excellent! Once you start using it, you will find your own best way, that being said her tips will guide you to a good result,

https://simplysimplestamping.com/how...o-cling-style/

Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 08:25 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cleaning Misti

I use the SU shammy To clean my stamps & ink from the Misti. I use Dawn & water to clean the shammy. Rinse most of the Dawn off it & keep it damp & I put it in a plastic container with a lid to keep it moist on my desk for cleaning stamps & Misti. My old Misti is still in great shape after 7 years but I wanted the new one with the updates & I love it. If you take care of it it will last a long time. I also have a bottle of the Novus plastic clean & shine & use that to clean my Misti once or twice a year. Hope that helps

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got two of the clear mounting stamps from Purple Onion. I left one intact and cut the other to accommodate smaller stamps. The clear mounting stamps are truly the cat's meow for unmounted stamps. However, it is sometimes difficult to determine the stamp's image with no imprint on the top (like on a wood block or cling stamps with an image sticker). Does anyone have a solution?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 12:07 PM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Misti

There is no right or wrong way to clean a Misti. Very hardy tool and sometimes I use baby wipes or just water to clean the surface. If you stamps don't stick, just use the baby wipes to clean the back of the stamps. If you have wooden stamps, just put them in the microwave for 15 seconds and peel off and stick in the Misti. Sometimes, I use thicker foam in my Misti for very thin stamps. Inking brands are most important and I use the Altenew or Versafine Clair inks for best ink for less repeating the inking and then stamp on cardstock. I had my Misti for years and gave my small one to a friend and bought the medium size one. I wish now I bought the 12 x 12 which will be next when this one wears out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 12:35 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Question

Does the clear mounting stamp come off the Misti easily? I don’t want to leave it on there permanently.

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 12:37 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pamstamper2967View Post
I got two of the clear mounting stamps from Purple Onion. I left one intact and cut the other to accommodate smaller stamps. The clear mounting stamps are truly the cat's meow for unmounted stamps. However, it is sometimes difficult to determine the stamp's image with no imprint on the top (like on a wood block or cling stamps with an image sticker). Does anyone have a solution?

I’m not sure if this is what you are looking for but I’m keep a stamp catalog where I’ve stamped each image so I know what it looks like. I then include on the page where the stamp is stored and the manufacturer/stamp name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Your stamps should just peel off easily when ever you want to remove them. I have left mine on for a week during Christmas card making. Misti takes a lot of abuse and I have even step on my Misti for thin stamps to get the ink on the paper (not advisable in the long run).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2020, 01:04 AM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

There is also Scotch clear removable mounting squares - I think these are made of the same stuff as the Purple Onion sheet. They are soft and sticky on both sides and come off the Misti OK. And they can be bought here in Australia.  Someone here recommended them on another Misti thread. I also use a sheet of clear "window cling" plastic between the Misti lid and the stamp when I am using Stayz On or other hard to wipe off ink. Again, something I learnt here on SCS.

Last edited by AussieJenny; 08-05-2020 at 01:05 AM.. Reason: punctuation
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2020, 07:49 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Disappointed in Purple Onion product

Heard about the product & immediately bought it. Totally a major disappointment as it did.not.work....for me. Contacted them and they were no help. For my many unmounted stamps, I use diluted Tack it Over & Over....a very, very light application on the stamp works incredibly well!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2020, 12:13 PM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyteaspoonView Post
Does the clear mounting stamp come off the Misti easily? I don’t want to leave it on there permanently.

Yes, it peels off just fine. Then you store it putting the protective sheets it came with back on it.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

There is a lot of terminology and products to get used to. You will!

I have the purple onion product and I like it. Esp that is it clear so I still see what I am doing. If it stops sticking you just give a quick wipe with water or mild cleaner and she is good to go again.

I have always had plastic cleaner in the house bc of posters-many come with a plastic, not a glass plate. I really try to stick to it so that does not get fogged up over time.

Stamps:
Fast history.
Wood started us..piece of wood, some sponge and the rubber image...
Then we shed the wood for storage and lower price though you can still buy new woods stamps.
Cling stamps:
Red rubber cling...is the (red) rubber image with a cling backing. Usually grey. It gives you the give for nice impressions. Sticks to acrylic blocks, the misti, etc. to stamp. Some companies offer plain rubber the cheapest, then to mount for you on cling...If it is only a dollar I might let them. Other wise I mount myself.
Cling stamps-are often the grey cling with a picture on its back of what it is.
for example:
https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...RoCHgIQAvD_BwE

Clear stamps are photo polymer or other materials and are literally clear. They are the thinnest of stamps. They stick directly to blocks, misti, etc. Good quality ones often stain from inks. We should rub them a little with cloth to get off mfg residual and always stamp it once before it goes to to your CS. You get a much better image that way. The index (image) may or may not be on it. But once you ink it, the image is very clear to see.

https://www.simonsaysstamp.com/produ...b?currency=USD

Bottom line: You want to have some kind of cushion when stamping for best images. Whether the cushion is attached to the stamp, a stamping pad, or a gush pad inside a platform (the misti)...I have been known to just use a bunch of magazines in the old days.

Stamping your stamps for records purposes is calling making an index for yourself. I have them. Really helps to figure out what stamp I want to use or most of the time keeps me from duplicating stamps.

HTH! If not maybe YT "types of rubber stamps" and seeing them talking about them will make it clear.
Reply With Quote Likes