Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2020, 10:55 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Big Shot vs Spellbinders Platinum 6

My Big Shot is on its last legs. I've taken it apart and oiled the gears but it is still grinding and slipping so I know that I am going to be purchasing a new machine soon.

I've been looking at the Spellbinders Platinum 6 and would like opinions on this machine. Can I use all of the Big Shot plates and bases with it or would I need to invest in new ones specifically for the SP6? How does the SP6 work compared to the BS? Better or worse or about the same?

Thanks in advance!
Judi

Sorry for the double post, I got an error message after posting the first one.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Judi
I have a Big Shot....with a large batch of plates.
I just bought a Platinum 6, but I haven't had it a ton of time. I'll share my ideas with you.

I bought the Platinum 6 partly for aesthetics and partly for the smaller amount of space that it takes up. It comes with platform, two cutting plates, an embossing mat and plate. I have not needed anything other than what it comes with.

I have found that 3D embossing folders have the same challenge on the Platinum that they do on the Big Shot. There are a whole bunch of different thicknesses for those embossing folders. You just have to experiment to get the right collection of plates and shims to get the folders to emboss the way you want them to. But that will be the same issue on any machine.

I have found that in most cases the Platinum is easier to crank the sandwich through. Some of that depends on the type of die...some easier than the others. The Platinum cutting plates also have a bit of a bevel on the ends to make it crank in a bit easier.

As for the Big Shot, it has a lot of different stuff to make it work: it has a platform with tabs, it has a platform that comes with a shim (the Solo platform), it has a magnetic platform, it has cutting plates, embossing plates, 5 different thicknesses of embossing mats (if you count Sizzix and SU brands), shims, etc. And there's a precision cutting plate too...oh, don't forget the 3D embossing plate, which doesn't work with every folder. I have them all!

When I got the Platinum I measured (with a caliper) every platform and plate that I had. There is definitely similarity from one brand to the other. I've made a table that lists them all with their thicknesses to make a comparison. It's only hand-written for my own use but I can type that up and share the file here at a later time.

Bottom line? You will get all that you need with the Platinum 6 when you buy it. They have a 3D plate (currently out of stock everywhere but it won't work with every brand of 3D folder anyway), a magnetic platform that takes the place of the regular platform, and a thin metal sheet for detailed cutting. I haven't needed any of those.

I prefer the Platinum myself. It takes up less room on my work table and it's white. ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 07:33 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thank you for your input Diane.

I was hoping that all the platforms and plates I have for the Big Shot would be compatible to the Platinum because I was only going to buy the machine by itself without anything else.

Joanns has the BS on sale for $89 and the Platinum is on sale for $84. Only a $5 difference. If there had been a huge price difference I probably would have gone with the least expensive.

I'm still considering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

If you want a Platinum 6, Spellbinders has a sale going on this one: Platinum 6 Die Cutting Machine - Fun Stamper's Journey

I think they even have it at 15% less than the sale price and it looks to be the exact same machine as the white one. If color isn't important, it might work for you. I did cave and ordered it yesterday. I have a perfectly good Big Shot Plus, but am wanting a smaller machine for using my Glimmer Foiling and think this might help me. I probably do not really NEED it, but it just kept calling to me.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2020, 06:05 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My BS stopped cutting properly so I bought the larger Platinum last year and am over the moon happy with it. It cuts so much better than my bs ever did and yes you can use all the plates you already have for your BS with the Platinum.

Like most machines it is a bit tight when you first start using it but unlike others it still cuts like a new machine even after it loosens up. Love my Platinum "workhorse".

Last edited by stampin stacy; 07-25-2020 at 05:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 03:56 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I love my Big Shot, I recently tried the Spellbinders Platinum 6 and
found it to be too wobbly and unstable, I actually injured my wrist
using it. I think (just my opinion) many crafty YouTubers switched to
Spellbinders because Sizzix sued Hero Arts and other machine makers, so
to show support they stopped using and recommending the Big Shot. Like I
said, just my personal opinion. The Big Shot has a good solid base, no
wobbling, very steady. I returned my Spellbinders Platinum 6. I also
own the full size Gemini, Gemini Go, and the Vagabond 2. Love the
Vagabond, but wanted a machine with a larger cutting surface so I bought
the Gemini and then I wanted one of those cute mini cutting machines so
I went with the Gemini Go because I have arthritis, but I do use my Big
Shot the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both the FSJ 6" and 8" die cutting machine and also have the electric Big Shot. I much prefer the big shot. I'm selling both the FSJ machines because I want to buy the new die cutting machine from Stampin' up!.
My finally growing gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2020, 02:19 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My big shot did that and I contacted the company and they sent me new parts for free
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2020, 06:37 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

My thanks to all for you input. I made the decision to buy another Big Shot. I got it yesterday and it works like a dream. My old machine was 12 years old and a lot of dies and embossing folders have gone through it over the years. On to more creating!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2020, 08:35 AM   #10  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Amaze machine

Quote:

Originally Posted by jah636View Post
My Big Shot is on its last legs. I've taken it apart and oiled the gears but it is still grinding and slipping so I know that I am going to be purchasing a new machine soon.

I've been looking at the Spellbinders Platinum 6 and would like opinions on this machine. Can I use all of the Big Shot plates and bases with it or would I need to invest in new ones specifically for the SP6? How does the SP6 work compared to the BS? Better or worse or about the same?

Thanks in advance!
Judi

Sorry for the double post, I got an error message after posting the first one.
So I have the Platinum 6 and not for very long. It's not as strong as I think it should be and the pressure seems too light and there's some s slippage now and then. I picked up a Funstampers Journey Amaze on the Spellbinders site clearance for 30.00 on a whim and to get the magnetic platform that comes with it as the platinum uses the exact same platform but sells the magnetic one for 30.00 so it was quite a deal for me. It is an AMAZING machine, was so surprised, really heavy duty but light enough to carry around easily, feels very solid! I think they still have it for 50.00. you can't go wrong with this one and Id recommend getting it because they stopped making it but since it uses the P6 platforms and cutting plates you will be able to always buy them. I think they also have a full sized Amaze too.
Reply With Quote Likes