Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-17-2020, 07:33 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Why am I a hoarder?

Great, SUs new catalog is out. There are sets I just have to have. But I have so many sitting on the shelf. Not to mention a dresser filled with everything imaginable. Along with plastic containers filled to the brim. Then there are all these tubs filled with fabric or unfinished quilts. I have background embossed cards, ready to be finished. I have face masks cut and ready to sew. CS cut and ready to make into cards. 4 quilt tops just need backing and batting. Not to mention my craft room needs yet another reorganization. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed? Why can’t I finish projects?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I used to be a craft supply hoarder instead of a crafter. Recently I parted with a lot of stuff and now I won't buy unless I'm sure I can use it more than once. I think in my case, I have an abundance of stamps and supplies with very little crafting space, so I had to decide what to do. I feel much better parting with unused stuff and really thinking before purchasing new stuff. Good luck figuring out what will work best for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 07:52 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 63 Likes on 27 Posts

Cher, I think that many of us can agree that we are craft hoarders and identify with everything that you have said- you are not alone!

I have so much "stuff" as my hubby loves to call it (affectionately) that at this point, I am concerned about using it all. I am trying not to purchase anything new (although I am failing at times when companies keep having 50% off sales), lol!

I have found that for me, limiting the supplies, stamps, etc. that I can use for a certain project helps me focus and not become overwhelmed! I have been pulling out stamps that I have never inked before (or that have not been used lately) and am making an effort to use those stamps/supplies. I also enjoy incorporating challenges here at SCS and at other challenge sites- sketches, colors, themes, etc. since they help me focus on creating with a specific purpose and getting cards finished!

I, too, have a lot of WIP projects and as I reorganize my craft room (a never ending process at this time, lol!) I am finding more unfinished projects! Organizing and reorganizing does help remind me what I have and helps me realize that I do not need anything more

Hugs and best of luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 03:50 AM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility. That paper or fabric or paint caught our eyes in the store and we thought of all the beautiful things we can create with it. But those ideas and feelings can be fleeting and we are sometimes left with stacks of possibilities while the finished projects never see the light of day. We have all been there at some point and it is like the last leg of a marathon or the final ascent to the peak -- we have to just push through and get 'er done.
Mary Beth
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 05:37 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

I tell people I have pack rat genes on both sides that go all the way back the family tree :mrgreen:

(maybe we are related?)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lynnewithane (09-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lutheran
View Post

As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility. That paper or fabric or paint caught our eyes in the store and we thought of all the beautiful things we can create with it. But those ideas and feelings can be fleeting and we are sometimes left with stacks of possibilities while the finished projects never see the light of day. We have all been there at some point and it is like the last leg of a marathon or the final ascent to the peak -- we have to just push through and get 'er done.
Mary Beth

Your first sentence says it all! As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
lynnewithane (09-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2020, 05:43 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I also had to learn to lose the "every color in the set syndrome." I bought the same ribbon in all different colors, then didn't use most of them. Or Tim holtz distress inks. I learned my lesson by the time his oxides came out and only have about 20 of them. They do get used though. I think when I started my card making I didn't know much, so anything new made my heart beat faster! I'm now 11 years in, and much wiser now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 05:50 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I totally agree with what Mary Beth said! I worked for many years doing upholstery and home dec items for several designers and three retail stores and accumulated A LOT of extra fabric, trims, etc., that I just KNEW I would turn into wonderful things for my own home and/or for family/friends and/or to sell. How much of that happened? Very, very little. I also collected roadside castoffs for the same reason (I had a large studio with a basement) - especially chairs. At one point I had 65 chairs waiting for some TLC, along with a few sofas and miscellaneous other pieces. I never met a bottle I didn't like, either, so I had shelves lined with many of all varieties. I ended up giving away/throwing away nearly ALL of my hoarded treasures when my mother was ill with leukemia and I moved in to help her before she passed. We never know what life will bring us from day to day, and I still look at things and see their potential, but I'm much more realistic about time frame and actual execution than I used to be, which has helped.

I look at stamp company releases and new catalogs and really like some of what I see, but I'm still not tempted to actually buy any of it until I have a solid idea of what I'm going to do with it in the almost-immediate future. If I still love it later and have plans to execute, I can get it then rather than as soon as it's released.

Beth (bjeans) likes to refer to her "desert isle" supplies - what would she want if she were stranded? - and it's a good way to look at the surplus and whittle down. We will be moving again in the next month or two (buying a condo) and I am going through the process of whittling as we speak. I am appalled at the sheer number of stamps that are still in my space after so many purges - and at how many have never seen ink! To be fair, many of them came in sets where I only wanted/needed one or two of the stamps and I can gladly part with the hangers-on, but still...

They say that "unfinished projects are the sign of a creative mind", and I hope that this is true, rather than just that we're all Master Procrastinators! Maybe it's some of each... Ooh - shiny! (Yup, that plays into it, too...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 08:49 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We do love new stuff! I finally had to just give up and pick a hobby that actually spoke to me. Moving helped me de-stash some of the things that didn’t fit. I was happy to pass some beautiful fabrics on to a sewer/quilter. Some crafting items I just had to recycle.
If you get to that point, maybe you can find a group that may be able to use it. A senior center or a children’s organization are a few. There may be a quilt organization that donates quilts for fundraisers. Perhaps they’d be happy to finish them and donate them. Who knows, your spark might be ignited and one hobby or project will speak to you!
I guess I’m saying, don’t feel guilty, find a comfortable way to de-stash and enjoy your chosen hobby.
As someone above mentioned, try to limit what’s out on your table when you go to craft. Too many “shiny objects” can be a great way to lose focus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 09:28 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I try not to think of myself as a hoarder. I'm the curator of a card making supply collection.

Seriously, though, I had to destash a bunch of items when I moved in October. It was freeing. I still have to go and tackle the craft room I had at my father's house when I was looking after him. I was all over the place with crafting supplies. The stuff I didn't bring when I moved to Texas is mostly going to go to thrift stores or the DAV. I figure, if I haven't missed it in six years, I don't really need it. It's tempting, though.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 12:23 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Well....cuz....it's preeeetyy....or it's cute....or it's your fav color.....or it's half off......esp for something you always wanted to try.....or the video did it's job and made it look super simple....or it is an image you always wanted that finally came out...or it is something in the now (Like the doc/nurse stamps) ....need I go on?

Creative minds don't live in boxes. We flit around the world looking at this and that....like butterflies We can struggle and try to contain ourselves but in the end...our true nature will win out.

Some people control it by having a budget that forces the "desert isle" idea...it's limited but you do get to have something. Some work with "one in, one out".

(shrug) I have so many other issues to deal with, I don't beat myself up about this stuff. I just try to cull stuff out here and there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 02:58 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cher

Great, SUs new catalog is out. There are sets I just have to have. But I have so many sitting on the shelf. Not to mention a dresser filled with everything imaginable. Along with plastic containers filled to the brim. Then there are all these tubs filled with fabric or unfinished quilts. I have background embossed cards, ready to be finished. I have face masks cut and ready to sew. CS cut and ready to make into cards. 4 quilt tops just need backing and batting. Not to mention my craft room needs yet another reorganization. Does anyone else feel overwhelmed? Why can’t I finish projects?

Two things you're talking about resonate with me. Not sure I have any solution, but some thoughts:
Why do we buy that next darling thing when we have a store house of yet to be used darlings? Much of the time, I can remind myself that there are always going to be darling things, and even if this thing I'm taken with is gone in a year, there will be new ones coming. My budget is my guide. But lately, between the news that is so hard to grapple with and the inspiration of my favorite crafters, I've been doing a bit more spending than usual. It beats ice cream as a comfort go to, right? And I'm happy with knowing I have thousands of unborn cardbabies waiting for me when the time is right.
Another part that you're talking about is all the started but not yet finished projects, and that can start to really pull a person down. On that front, when I'm getting overwhelmed with too many works in progress, I push myself to pick one and finish it. That's a boost that can lead to more finishing or a creative period.

Everyone is so individual, so this may or may not work for you, but if any of it is useful, take it and run with it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 03:07 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

And I'm happy with knowing I have thousands of unborn cardbabies waiting for me when the time is right.

Great line!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn
View Post

I tell people I have pack rat genes on both sides that go all the way back the family tree

(maybe we are related?)

Thank you!!!! I'm going to join your club & case/copy/steal/use your pack rat genes line from now on! SO glad to find my tribe is here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-18-2020, 10:02 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have a rule about creative hoarding. If it costs more than a $1 I am not allowed to hoard it. That is an investment. ROFL!

With the announcements of Consumer Crafts & Darice closing. Online shopping is bigger than ever and B&M stores are closing at a fast rate I know my "browsing" purchases are going to be curbed greatly. The way we purchase our pretties is going to change.

I use to love to go to the craft stores and look at all the pretty shiny things that were full of possibilities. They ended up in my cart. Now, that I online order I am like "Do I really want to pay S&H for that?" "Shiny toy is going to cost me and it is a freeloader who doesn't pay my mortgage." Hmmm, no that's the bad boy that is so tempting but you admire him but he can't move in, lol.

That is my hoarding rules. Don't hoard the bad boy. Remember what your Mother told you about bad boy's, lol.

Seriously, if you are overwhelmed you are already "over it". You are not going to finish that project. It lost it's creative potential for you and became a job that is stuck in a rut.

I finally got fabric for face masks. It was all in a pretty pile. The stress of face mask fabric buying and the sewing all my other creative projects started to turn out sucky. It was like everything I touched turned into a disaster. When I saw I could buy face masks online and my local grocery store got some in I snagged them up and put my fabric aside. My creativity came back. Even my DH couldn't create because of this face mask thing and now his creativity came back.

It's ok to give up. Slogging through keeps you back and you never go forward in learning who you are as an artist.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2020, 06:07 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for that, DeeAnn! I truthfully have never looked at the unfinished projects as mojo-killers, but you could totally be right! I'll have to think on this a bit...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2020, 06:49 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by lutheran

As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility.

Your first sentence says it all! As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility

This says it all to me. I've been looking at my craft room yet again and wondering how the heck did I get all this?! Then I read the above quote and realized it fit me to a 'T'. I am always on the lookout for 'potential' and 'possibility' and projects I can do 'when I have time'...except the only time I have is when I make it..and I rarely make it! I think I'm going to do some heavy rethinking and reorganizing and see what I can purge. It's been awhile and I always feel better after. The challenge is not to fill the space up again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Lutheran/Mary Beth - you hit the nail on the head when you said "As crafters we thrive on potential and possibility."
My husband said to me years ago that I live in a world of endless possibilities. I see this in myself with craft supplies, but also at the grocery store, where I can smell and taste all the wonderful meals I can make for my family. I am still grappling with it, but I think being self-aware helps a lot. I am slowly purging my craft room of things I don't use and starting to tackle the UFOs (unfinished objects) that are hanging around. I appreciate that wisdom that sometimes you just have to let them go because they have become a burden.

I don't buy near as much as I used to and I'm trying to make it a point to think of similar items I already have when I see all the new shiny and pretty things calling to me. The struggle is real.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 06:53 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

As you can tell from others replies, you are not alone! Many of us collect and hoard craft supplies as a separate hobby unto itself.
But there comes a time when I become overwhelmed and dragged down by all the supplies and unfinished projects.

The hardest thing for me is to admit I’ve bought too much. I spent money on a whim and now lack the interest or motivation to use the supplies and complete the project. The GUILT can keep me frozen. Unable to create anything and unable to let those supplies go.
But I got tired of being in that negative mindset. I got tired of being in a “stuck” place and not being able to enjoy ANY of my creative pursuits, especially now. Creating and crafting is supposed to be my stress release, what keeps me sane.

SO.... I just accepted that I am imperfect. I’m human. I made a mistake buying every color of ink pad in a certain line. Buying yards and yards of fabric because it’s pretty. It’s okay. Everyone makes mistakes.
I will sort out what supplies I have but don’t or won’t use. They go in a box and get put in another part of the house. If I have any doubts about purging them I can just put them out of sight for a while and see if I miss them. Some supplies I can just accept that I will not use and I will donate right away. IF I have time I might check Ebay or someplace to see if there is a market for this stamp set or paper or whatever and might sell it if I want to deal with that process.

But, ultimately, it does feel great to let go of any of the stuff that is cluttering up your physical and mental space. Even if all you do is take it all to Good Will or someplace like that. Your donation could end up really blessing someone else who will be overjoyed to find your items on the shelf for purchase. Don’t get bogged down trying to find the “perfect” charity to donate specific items.

And finally, I’ve stopped telling myself or my DH or the universe that I will “never” over purchase craft items again. I probably will. And that’s okay. I stay aware of my faults and weaknesses and try and exercise some caution. If I make a mistake again so be it. Some charity or some other person will get a deal down the road.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

A lot of us hang onto "stuff" because we are guilty of committing the Sunk Cost Fallacy, as defined by Arkes & Blumer:

Individuals commit the sunk cost fallacy when they continue a behavior or endeavor as a result of previously invested resources (time, money or effort).

I think of it as "flogging a dead horse", lol...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 06-23-2020 at 07:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 08:16 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

While we all may talk about having all of our items and laugh a bit, I sense some real pain here and wish you loving kindness. Please think about how you are feeling and reach out to family or friends. You might think about when all the collecting started to happen and whether there was painful event around this time. If this doesn’t resonate ok. I would encourage you to pick one item and commit to 20 minutes to work on it. It might be great if this is an item you could finish. A card to someone you love? After 20 minutes decide if you want to spend another 20 minutes. I have moved away from looking at all the emails and such with product ideas and instead come here and search for ideas with existing products, colors and tools. Plus Instagram is great as it sparks an idea.

All the best to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I have found places to donate some of my patterned paper - that one's pretty easy. But what to do with the stamp sets that I no longer want and would love to pass off to someone else (not to sell, but to donate). Can those of you who have de-stashed stamp sets share where you have found to donate them? Or if you've sold them, what platform did you use...although I'm not currently looking at selling them. I started card making when my kids were 6 and 3 so I have a LOT of really cute stamps that don't fit with what I'm doing now that my kids are 19 and 16.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 10:05 AM   #23  
Cardstock Collector

Check to see if the art teacher at a school near you could use any of your supplies. I would imagine that you could find one who would. They would especially appreciate paper, adhesives, and markers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 10:41 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default Have you tried the No Buy Groups on FB?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa Dechand
View Post

I have found places to donate some of my patterned paper - that one's pretty easy. But what to do with the stamp sets that I no longer want and would love to pass off to someone else (not to sell, but to donate). Can those of you who have de-stashed stamp sets share where you have found to donate them? Or if you've sold them, what platform did you use...although I'm not currently looking at selling them. I started card making when my kids were 6 and 3 so I have a LOT of really cute stamps that don't fit with what I'm doing now that my kids are 19 and 16.

I am part of a No Buy Group on Facebook and have found a home for many craft items plus you might find a new craft buddy too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teresa Dechand
View Post

I donated my unwanted stamps to some nursing homes I work at. The activity directors were really excited to get them. I even bought some washable ink for them to use as they didn't want to stain their resident's hands.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 10:52 AM   #26  
Glitter Queen

As a professional organizer, I have a phrase that I must use even as my own mantra and that I advised my clients dealing with clutter and collections to focus on: Delayed decisions are the cause of the clutter and excess. "Someday" never comes. As someone previously described, take 15 or 20 minutes and sort one category of items; all your inks, all your dies, all your stamp sets, all DSP/cardstock. You certainly won't get one category finished in the 15 minutes but you started. Take a break then go back for another 15 minutes of focused time. Repeat until all categories are finished. You have to take the emotion out of the process (I spent too much money. I might need this some day. Aunt Tilly gave this to me as a gift...etc.) and be honest with yourself, your time to craft and your true motivation to craft whether it's cards, quilts, memory books. My mother had a rule that stuck with me through life. You cannot begin another project until you finish the first. Hide those UFO as someone called them and only have what you need visually present to complete ONE project. When that's done, don't hang on to it but give it to the friend, or sell it (to supplement the spending habit), or donate it to a worthy cause (raffles at schools, nursing home projects, etc). ONE more thing is gone but you received satisfaction from creating it. THEN move to a different project. Again, some things need to be "out of sight" so they can remain "out of mind" until your mind and time have been cleared. Recently, I realized I have too much inventory that didn't sell at craft fairs last year and it's taking up storage room in my reach in closet in my craft room. My plan (and I have it set on the calendar) is to package them into brown bags as Secret Shopper Bags. A set price for each bag but they will all have some different finished projects, some craft materials/supplies. I have had the fun creating them and now someone else will get the pleasure of enjoying them or giving them to someone else.
ONE step at a time until one small mountain has been breached....then REPEAT. Once you have everything reduced to fit into your crafting space where you have ease of access, then you can begin to let your muse flow and enjoy your craft. YOU ARE MORE THAN THE SUM OF YOUR STAMP PADS/SETS/PAPER. Honor yourself and respect your space. Send me a message if you'd like some help. I can work virtually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 11:09 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stacey JBGreendawn!! You're my sister!! I have tons of pack rat genes going back so far they almost reach Adam and Eve!
I have boxes, bins, envelopes, bags, any container full of stuff. My hubby started calling my beloved stamp room "The Stamp Swamp". hopefully he won't dare tread into the Swamp for fear of being attacked by an unknown monster.

Kathy's Knook
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 12:13 PM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Hoarder.

I’ve always kept my sewing and crafting supplies “well stocked”. When CoVid-19 hit I was able to make almost 400 masks using what I had. Ha ha ha. I like to say my fabric stash is out there saving lives. And I’ve been able to stamp to my hearts content while staying safe at home. So my hoarding paid off!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 01:20 PM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

This could have been written by me. LOL. I have yarn, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2020, 07:51 PM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had to buy alot of things to get started and am sure I overbought.There's a lot of temptation to buy stuff you see demonstrated on YouTube plus I was not too saavy about what was really necessary. I've tried to buy what I think is essential and what I think I'd have fun using and really wanted to try to learn different things. I do keep anything I'm working on in a basket next to my desk and won't start a project until I've finished what's in the box. This forces me to "do the hard work of creating", ie break through the bordom and finish what I've started. I've vowed to not buy anything else until next year. That's hard because shopping is really fun for me. I've really enjoyed creating my craft space and stocking it. But I enjoy actual making stuff much more. I've seen craft room tours and how much stuff people have and I think thats just too heavy a burden and I don't envy them. Makers have the most fun with less stuff to make with I think. Im really glad I "overbought" though because I have good tools to work with and stuff I really like using. I've waited a lifetime for "me time" to do art and I'm not going to beat myself up about it and neither should you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2020, 05:48 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wendy, you speak to exactly how so many of us end up with so much - it takes trial and error and exposure to a lot of different things to find our true creative "voice", and we acquire a lot of tools and supplies on that journey. I think where the trouble comes in is that, even after we have a more clearly defined idea of what we do/don't like or will/won't use, we don't give ourselves permission to eliminate the misfits from the stash. Then, too, many (most?) of us are still evolving and/or cycling and we fear that we will regret getting rid of something. Back to Sunk Cost Fallacy, possibly, but the struggle is real.

I have to remind myself that I don't even remember the items I've given away over the years, so what is the hangup? there will always be more available to us, should we require a stamp or paper or tool or fabric or yarn or whatever. In my old-age wisdom (lol), I have to have an almost-immediate plan for whatever I bring into my space, or it doesn't get to come in. I have only very rarely sold anything - I pretty much give stuff away. The few times I have sold, I determined that it wasn't worth the effort to package, photograph, list, send, etc. I try to give things where they are wanted/needed - like newbie crafters or schools - but have also donated to Goodwill and the like...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2020, 07:07 AM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fun givaways

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Wendy, you speak to exactly how so many of us end up with so much - it takes trial and error and exposure to a lot of different things to find our true creative "voice", and we acquire a lot of tools and supplies on that journey. I think where the trouble comes in is that, even after we have a more clearly defined idea of what we do/don't like or will/won't use, we don't give ourselves permission to eliminate the misfits from the stash. Then, too, many (most?) of us are still evolving and/or cycling and we fear that we will regret getting rid of something. Back to Sunk Cost Fallacy, possibly, but the struggle is real.

I have to remind myself that I don't even remember the items I've given away over the years, so what is the hangup? there will always be more available to us, should we require a stamp or paper or tool or fabric or yarn or whatever. In my old-age wisdom (lol), I have to have an almost-immediate plan for whatever I bring into my space, or it doesn't get to come in. I have only very rarely sold anything - I pretty much give stuff away. The few times I have sold, I determined that it wasn't worth the effort to package, photograph, list, send, etc. I try to give things where they are wanted/needed - like newbie crafters or schools - but have also donated to Goodwill and the like...
I love donating stuff. I've always gone through my closets each year and donated tons of stuff, I never miss what I've given away. And I've never had a problem accumulating more stuff, lol! Giving stuff away is actually keeping it forever in a different form, it just feels good to be generous while lightening your own load. My goal is to empty my house by 2/3. THAT would make me happy 😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

When I first started stamping back in 2005 I thought I needed every thing. First it was SU then I found local stores, but where I lived back then it was an hours drive one way. Then it was internet shopping.

I saw on SCS all the new stuff and all the design teams cards for new releases for on line companies.

Being a one income family back then with two little ones, I learned the hard way, I could not keep up with the all the new in stuff.

Then I would think if I don't buy such and such now I might not have money in the future to buy stamping supplies and stamps (this is were hoarding came into play). I bought stuff that was "cute" then found out later I really didn't like the stamp set, paper or what ever.

I finally bought a house with a basement and was able to spread everything out. I was thinking what am I keeping all this stuff for if I don't use it.

Every time I moved per the Air Force I purged. I purged many times but always kept the SU sets that I knew was going for high prices on ebay and SCS.

Now that my daughter has completed college and continuing her education and moving out of state and do to being in a knee brace and can't do stairs down to the basement. So back in Dec my son and daughter moved all my stamping stuff up to her bedroom.

I am on my second purge in the past year. And guess what. All those SU stamp sets that were going for big bucks way back when, I can't even sell them now for $3-4.

Live and learn I am paring down to basics and favorites. Getting rid of stamps I have used for years and years. If I really like a stamp I am selling and it sells, I stamp myself a bunch of images and I have a container full of images. That sure takes up less room than the stamp or entire set.

But the only problem I have now is that I rearranged all my supplies like 3 times since moving into the room is that I can't find the supplies I need when I am making a card. It takes longer finding the supplies then making the card LOL
But all my stamps are organized.

It takes time but at least I found what is good for me and what is toxic for me. Actually thinking about going through my stamps again to pare down even more.

Good luck to everyone that wants to purge and to everyone that hoards, I hope you never run out of space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringer
View Post

Then I would think if I don't buy such and such now I might not have money in the future to buy stamping supplies and stamps (this is were hoarding came into play).

Guilty of that! That is such a big one. I have been really poor. When I had some money I stocked up. I am a bit of a "prepper" anyway because I have been poor. What is funny when I was poor I was a better artist. Go figure? I only could afford a sketchbook. I didn't know about pattern paper and I did have cardstock that I got in the art section. Everything I used to embellish was a creation I made or something I frugally found like flowers I dried that I picked from my garden. Things off of packaging.
My art setup as an adult was a little card table that my landlord gave to me because he was tired of seeing me hunched over with my sketchbook on my lap. I had a RubberMaid box full of supplies. That's it. Now, I have a room.

I love having a room. Over the years I have collected a beautiful collection of ephemera that I have either found or made. That to me is part of my history.

I was thinking of this thread the other day. I was in my stamp box getting out a favorite stamp. I thought to myself "Why do I have some of these stamps?" It came to me I think of them as part of my ephemera collection. That is so laughable. I can't believe I did that.

This is all me and nothing about stamps or those who collect stamps. It is laughable because of my personality. Stamps always to me were a tool that I upgraded when I learned new skills. Trust me I know stamps can be historical pieces. They are just not to me. Stamps are a tool like my cutters. I upgrade them. They are not part of my bead collection that I culled over the years that have history since that is my collecting field.

I did think of this thread. I think a few of us think of it as a collection and not upgrading. Even if it is a collection even those need to be upgraded.

Leslie- I hope your knee gets better.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts

Love that saying!!! I can't agree more.
And I'm happy with knowing I have thousands of unborn cardbabies waiting for me when the time is right.

I am guilty of too much stuff. But, I am happy with my stuff. In the past I would buy things because it was a "good deal", or so I thought. I have purged a few times. Waiting for COVID to calm down before I do another large lot sale (I don't sell online). I still have over 400 stamp sets. That is a lot, but oh well. I have a binder with each image and they are numbered. I now only buy quality stamps and supplies. I am fortunate enough to have a bedroom dedicated to my crafting. It is my happy place.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2020, 12:27 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

to continue on the "why can't I finish projects?". I look at the SCS galleries on a fairly regular basis, and flag ideas. Then I subscribe to blogs, watch inspiration videos, see cards using paper, stamps, ribbon, or embellishments I already have in my stash. But the actual process of making cards is a challenge. Since retiring from my full time job shortly before COVID hit, I've tried to spend an hour or so each day sorting what I want to make, and gathering supplies-but they're spread over a large part of my guest room. So I resolved to go back and decide which projects do I want to complete-those go in a plastic shoe box, ready to be assembled. I find I work on a couple of those daily, and mix them with the most recent ideas I've gotten elsewhere. Eventually, I want to get to a refined system, but at this point, any progress is something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2020, 08:27 AM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I started to join card swaps so I will start using my stuff instead of hoarding it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like to think of myself as a collector, rather than a hoarder, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Well my hoarding/collection is getting smaller, purging both the craft room and basement.
AND feeling good about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 08:26 AM   #40  
Glitter Guru

Received 853 Likes on 510 Posts

I finally broke down and donated some fabric. I had plenty left for masks or whatever I wanted, but I kept my favorites, and got rid of the ones I thought I wouldn't use. Mostly it was large pieces for quilt backs, as I was quilting for a a charity, but my health doesn't allow me to do that now, and I don't see me getting to it, so I donated it. I figure someone could use it, as the stores have been hit pretty hard with people buying fabric. I also donated the ones that I thought I could live without or didn't really suit me, etc.., but I kept my favorites.
It felt really good to have more room and helped me reorganize my craft stuff. I am trying to appreciate what I have and use it more, and remember that when I donate something, someone else can use it.  
I think I would pick one area and work on that and try to decide what you like the best.  That being said, I don't go too crazy getting rid of too much, because I know I'll just spend money replacing it.  I tried to look at it and ask myself if I would ever really use it.  It felt really good to have that accomplished.  I think you are in good company with the rest of us.  I know I am a dreamer, and my capabilities don't match up with my imagination.

Last edited by hoptownracer1; 07-16-2020 at 08:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes