Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-02-2020, 08:57 AM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Cling Stamps Too Thick for Stamp Platform?

I have the Tim Holtz platform. I have only two cling stamp background stamps at the moment, but when I use them in the platform, they seem slightly too thick when I close the lid to stamp, and don't get an evenly stamped image. I definitely have the lid turned to the position to use cling stamps. I think the brand of these stamps is My Favorite Things. I don't have any Tim Holtz cling stamps and wonder if they fit better. I suppose some brands may in fact be thicker than others, but have no basis of comparison (yet...) Does anyone else have this problem? Do some brands work better in the platform or other stamp positioners?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Just flip the lid over and try the other side. I have 'bare rubber' stamps that I use on the 'Clear' side of the lid because they are so thin.I also have clear stamps by Clarity- which are super thick clear stamps- that I use on the Rubber side. Be guided as much by the thickness of the stamp as by what it says on the lid.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2020, 09:08 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have photopolymer MFT stamps and they work fine, but if yours are too thick, just flip the lid to the rubber side. And if they’re a little too thin for the rubber side, you could just add some sheets of cardstock or paper to build up the thickness.

(It’s the opposite of what I have to do with a few unmounted rubber stamps. They’re too thin for the rubber side but too thick for the photopolymer side. So I add a little thickness using the rubber side of the Tim positioner, or take out the Misti pad and add thickness.

(I shouldn’t admit this but the word cling stamp always throws me. I realize Stampin Up uses terms differently than all other stamp companies, but I don’t have many Stampin Up sets. So if you mean something different than photopolymer, my apologies!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2020, 12:28 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

The Tim Holtz platform doesn't say "cling," clear or rubber are the choices/sides. I think all stamps would have to be cling to work in a platform(s) - even if you applied an adhesive. As suggested by others, just try the other side and/or use shims.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2020, 04:34 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My Favorite Things background stamps are red rubber cling stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2020, 03:49 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans
View Post

(I shouldn’t admit this but the word cling stamp always throws me. I realize Stampin Up uses terms differently than all other stamp companies, but I don’t have many Stampin Up sets. So if you mean something different than photopolymer, my apologies!)

Several years ago SU stopped using their "clear mount" designation for their cling rubber stamps. So they are now in line with the rest of the industry.

"Cling" or "Cling Rubber" means just what it says. Rubber on cling foam to be able to mounted temporarily on a clear block (or in the positioner) for stamping.

Photopolymer (and cheaper acrylic) are transparent and thinner.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2020, 04:00 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

As for addressing the original question...I don't use the Tim Holtz positioner, but I don't think that the trouble you are having are the fault of the positioner. I also have a few stamps that do the same.

The problem seems to be that the rubber on these stamps is slightly thicker. [**No, not all sheets of rubber are the same thickness. That was very obvious when I unmounted thousands of pieces of rubber when I took them off the blocks.**] It seems to be a problem more when the stamp is large because it is thicker near the hinges and the far side doesn't touch the paper at the same time as the part near the hinge.

Try turning the stamp around and see if it works the same. Mount it as far from the hinges as you can get it. If you cannot get an acceptable impression then you will have to use that stamp without the positioner.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2020, 05:05 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans

Several years ago SU stopped using their "clear mount" designation for their cling rubber stamps. So they are now in line with the rest of the industry.

"Cling" or "Cling Rubber" means just what it says. Rubber on cling foam to be able to mounted temporarily on a clear block (or in the positioner) for stamping.

Photopolymer (and cheaper acrylic) are transparent and thinner.

I didn’t know that SU changed, thank you. I’m familiar with all the terms - but “cling” alone can throw me, since it’s occasionally used differently than cling rubber. (In real life people here occasionally use terms a bit differently than on SCS too. Not that there’s been real life since March.)

Speaking of rubber thickness differences, I have naked rubber stamps from a European company that are thinner than any of my photopolymer stamps, so they’re used with the clear (photopolymer/acrylic) side of the Tim positioner lid and have to be shimmed. They came in a sheet.

And agree - stay away from the hinges if there’s an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

You are so right about the use of the term cling! lol I should have specified cling rubber or just said rubber being that is the way it is labeled on the lid. It always threw me too, especially when I got back into stamping after many years and being introduced to all sorts of new stuff and terminology lol. I would think, well the rubber and clear both cling, so this can be confusing. Thanks for the suggestions!!

I have never used a MISTI -- Does this happen with it as well, or is there more height to accommodate a bit thicker stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2020, 05:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

You can also place your stamp face up on the positioner. Attach your cardstock to the door using temporary adhesive and then close the door. Rub your hand all over the door so that you are applying pressure at different points on your page.

Or just go old school... place your stamp face up on your work surface. Ink up, then layer your card stock over it. Use a piece of cheap paper (printer paper, mail, whatever) and rub with your hand all over. You should be able to get a good impression this way.
Last, also make sure the stamp itself is clean and doesn’t have some sort of film from manufacturing still on it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Some videos that may help:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 11:37 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think all stamping platforms have different things attached to them to make them function differently.

Just watching the Tim Holtz You tube. I had no idea you could changed it out like he showed.

I know with the Misti platform for thicker stamps you need to pull out the foam rubber and then ink the stamps and stamp your image.

Clear Photoploymer Stamps you need to keep the foam rubber in the platform in order to get the proper image.

i think they all have good qualities.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2020, 01:41 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I own the travel TH Platform, WRMK Precision Press Advanced, mini WRMK advanced precision press, Hampton Art Stamp Perfect, two older Fiskars stamp presses and once had a regular size Misti and a full size TH Platform (both of which I sold).

I use cling rubber almost exclusively and a lot of my collection are 6" x 6" background stamps (IO, MFT, Hero Arts, Stampendous, etc.), 5" x 7" or A2 sized backgrounds (I'm obsessed with the versatility).

My experience with the platforms:

The MISTI and the Stamp Perfect did the best with large, thick cling rubber background stamps. The thinner acrylic plate allows more give, so you get a crisper, even impression, but is also what makes them the most fragile. After only a few uses with the Misti, I noticed cracks in the hinges forming, so I sold it. The Stamp Perfect is smaller, and so I can't use it with my 6x6 stamps. It does a better job with smaller stamps and sentiments, but it too formed cracks, where the hinge is stuck to the base. I'm keeping it till it dies.

The larger TH Platform was terrible for large cling rubber background stamps--never got a good image. There wasn't sufficient space heightwise between the top plate and the bottom so the plate bowed when I tried to stamp near the hinge (placement is pretty unavoidable with a large background stamp). The middle of the stamp never stamped out because most of the pressure was on the outside edges, despite pressing on the center of the plate repeatedly. I then placed some fun foam in the shape of an oval under my cardstock, in the middle, and the image stamped out, but I noticed that the areas by the hinge were overstamped because of the pressure by the hinge. I still have the travel TH platform, I use it, but still have problems with the large backgrounds. The foam helps. I am debating whether to keep it-- mostly because it is so well made. I just wish it had springs, more clearance/height and a foam cushion, then it'd be perfect.

I bought the WRMK Advanced Platform for my 6 x 6" stamps and wood mounteds. It works for the wood and cling backgrounds, but still not the absolute best. The image touches the paper once you rest the plate in the grooves, because there isn't enough clearance between the top plate and the bottom. The rubber feet are pretty much useless when using cling rubber. The WRMK platform does the job, but I find that my paper doesn't always stay put and with such large stamps, I can't use the magnets to hold the paper down because I'm using most of the magnetized space for the stamps. What I do like about this positioner is that the plates can be turned 45' to do mandala/kaleidoscope stamping, you can purchase additional stamp plates, and there is a printing accessory and a pattern plate to make stripes or other repeat patterns.

I still don't feel like I have the best positioner for every use. I am now considering purchasing one of the newer stamp positioners with the spring feet in the hopes that they have enough clearance to allow the cling rubber to hover until pressed and won't overstamp by the hinge. My only concern there is that there is no corner on the base to fit the paper into to allow you to remove it, replace and stamp in the exact same place.

I have an old Fiskars stamp press that has foam feet, but since there isn't a hinge, you can't get it to repeat stamping. I hope they invent a stamp positioner that does it all.

Bottom line, as some suggested, if the TH platform doesn't work with your large cling rubber stamp, consider upside down stamping-- stamp image face up on table, paper placed on top of inked stamp, and then hand smooth the paper on the stamp to get it to stamp out. That technique seems to work best.

Best of luck,
Doreen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 09:32 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Yep. Flip the lid over. I made the same mistake but in the reverse. I couldn't figure out why my photo-polymer stamps weren't making an impression. Then I notice the labels on the lid and the fact that you can remove it and flip it around.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:36 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 658 Likes on 407 Posts

How funny! I've not had the problem of stamps not stamping properly as I figured out the spacing issues all by myself. I knew about the lid from reading the instructions. But seeing the still shot of the Tim Holtz stamping platform video made me laugh out loud. He's got it upside-down, lol. 😉
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:45 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renata Joyner
View Post

How funny! I've not had the problem of stamps not stamping properly as I figured out the spacing issues all by myself. I knew about the lid from reading the instructions. But seeing the still shot of the Tim Holtz stamping platform video made me laugh out loud. He's got it upside-down, lol. 😉

Tim has it positioned correctly.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:47 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 658 Likes on 407 Posts

I know. It was a joke. I use it upside-down. Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renata Joyner
View Post

I know. It was a joke. I use it upside-down. Lol.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Watch the video & you'll see it's not upside down.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2020, 12:49 AM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, From what you're describing, it sounds like the same issues I had with the TH platform. I have both the MISTI and the platform, (got a good deal on the second and thought why not), but like you, I can not get a good clean image on my larger stamps, especially if I put them up in the corner. I have the top on rubber, and have to play with moving my stamp all around on the platform, trying to find a spot where it will get good pressure! It became so frustrating, that I have put it away, and just use my MISTI. In fact, when Iliana had a sale on her large 12 x12 size, I ended up getting that one, and use it especially at Christmas when I stamp the front image and inside greeting. I heard they had issues with some of the platforms not stamping right and giving a clear impression, but they ended up getting pulled/recalled after the copyright issues, that I never messed with it. It just never worked as good as the MISTI for me, which I prefer anyway. But, I know exactly what you're talking about, because it has been very frustrating for me to use with my rubber cling stamps. I don't have an issue with clear stamps, just the rubber ones, and usually it's the larger ones.

Sorry I can only empathize, however, you might try moving the stamp more to the middle of the platform, or middle bottom and see if you're more successful, that helped me. Good luck!!!

Last edited by lovetostamp3; 07-08-2020 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2020, 03:36 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Stacy is reminding me of a strategy I use with my TH positioned that has become automatic and I didn't even think about it until her post. I have a (3x3ish) shim I put under the whole positioner in the center. It helps overall in getting a good impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2020, 04:17 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovetostamp3
View Post

Hi, From what you're describing, it sounds like the same issues I had with the TH platform. I have both the MISTI and the platform, (got a good deal on the second and thought why not), but like you, I can not get a good clean image on my larger stamps, especially if I put them up in the corner. I have the top on rubber, and have to play with moving my stamp all around on the platform, trying to find a spot where it will get good pressure! It became so frustrating, that I have put it away, and just use my MISTI. In fact, when Iliana had a sale on her large 12 x12 size, I ended up getting that one, and use it especially at Christmas when I stamp the front image and inside greeting. I heard they had issues with some of the platforms not stamping right and giving a clear impression, but they ended up getting pulled/recalled after the copyright issues, that I never messed with it. It just never worked as good as the MISTI for me, which I prefer anyway. But, I know exactly what you're talking about, because it has been very frustrating for me to use with my rubber cling stamps. I don't have an issue with clear stamps, just the rubber ones, and usually it's the larger ones.

Sorry I can only empathize, however, you might try moving the stamp more to the middle of the platform, or middle bottom and see if you're more successful, that helped me. Good luck!!!

You’re right - you reminded me Tonic had issues with a batch of platforms - I got one. With a phone call - and maybe a photo? - they replaced it immediately, and did so long after they stopped selling them in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Likes