Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-14-2020, 03:36 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts
Default I Just Used a Stencil and Loved It. Oh No!

I've put off buying a stencil because although I'd seen them used, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use them as easily as others. I recently threw caution to to wind and bought one. I loved the result so much. Oh no.

Now that I like them, I want more. I just put in an order for six new stencils at Simon Says Stamp. This is dangerous. I've found a whole new set of items to collect. As if I didn't already have a large enough supply collection, I've found a new money sink. I'm so happy to have found a new technique I love, but it does have it's monetary drawbacks.

Has anyone else recently gone through a similar discovery? I can't be the only one who was thrilled and then worried by uncovering a new technique. I'd love to hear your stories.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2020, 08:34 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunny
View Post

I've put off buying a stencil because although I'd seen them used, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to use them as easily as others. I recently threw caution to to wind and bought one. I loved the result so much. Oh no.

Now that I like them, I want more. I just put in an order for six new stencils at Simon Says Stamp. This is dangerous. I've found a whole new set of items to collect. As if I didn't already have a large enough supply collection, I've found a new money sink. I'm so happy to have found a new technique I love, but it does have it's monetary drawbacks.

Has anyone else recently gone through a similar discovery? I can't be the only one who was thrilled and then worried by uncovering a new technique. I'd love to hear your stories.

I went the opposite direction from you. I already had some stencils, but had never used them. Then I pulled out my ink blenders and inks ...and got hooked! Now I can't believe I let them gather dust for so long (I'm talking years here) and I want them in every pattern.

I love the stencils by Stamplorations. They have a huge variety, from tribal, to butterflies and birds. My favorites are nature-themed patterns like an all-over leaf design, or neutral patterns like the tribal ones.

Welcome to the club!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:01 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Comrade Bunny, what kind of stencil design do you like? There are some wonderful stencil sites, some with specials from time to time. Some sellers on Etsy will even size to our specifications.

I love stencils for paint, ink, pastes, etc. (Favorite, easiest acrylic paint for me is Paper Arty’s Fresco. I’ve never been into paint but at an ongoing LSS workshop we used Paper Artsy for a lot of backgrounds and stencils. It’s like buttah and even I can use it.)

I have a collapsible dish pan (less room!) so when done with a stencil toss it in the water-filled pan so cleanup is easy. Some just swipe off the medium and don’t care about clean stencils or clean them only when crusty. Some (me) are a little too obsessive but I like playing in water, but admire the paint/ink covered stencils in videos, thinking those belong to the real artists.

The nice thing about stencils is the cost compared to dies and stamps, though I have too many dies and stamps too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:52 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Have you discovered pixie spray that you spray on the stencil to help keep it in place? I think that's the name of it. I used it at a trade show one time and remembered loving it but never got any

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I use Pixie Spray sometimes - it’s great. But I often prefer to hinge the stencil onto a board or glass mat at the top with yellow Frog tape so I can lift it up from the bottom to see if I need to add anything. I think that was a Tim Holtz trick?

Sometimes I make a tiny tape tab at the bottom of the stencil to be able to easily pick it up.
The paper itself either just sits or I adhere it to a board with a “frame” of yellow Frog Tape (which gives a crisp border) or use one of Tim’s sticky mats on the board or on glass mat. Usually no special reason for which is chosen, just whatever pops into the brain first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeans
View Post

Comrade Bunny, what kind of stencil design do you like? There are some wonderful stencil sites, some with specials from time to time. Some sellers on Etsy will even size to our specifications.

I love stencils for paint, ink, pastes, etc. (Favorite, easiest acrylic paint for me is Paper Arty’s Fresco. I’ve never been into paint but at an ongoing LSS workshop we used Paper Artsy for a lot of backgrounds and stencils. It’s like buttah and even I can use it.)

I have a collapsible dish pan (less room!) so when done with a stencil toss it in the water-filled pan so cleanup is easy. Some just swipe off the medium and don’t care about clean stencils or clean them only when crusty. Some (me) are a little too obsessive but I like playing in water, but admire the paint/ink covered stencils in videos, thinking those belong to the real artists.

The nice thing about stencils is the cost compared to dies and stamps, though I have too many dies and stamps too.

I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning my stencils as well, otherwise the extra ink gets everywhere (including on me). My craft room is directly across from the upstairs bathroom so I just run water over it in the sink and pat dry. Don't even need soap if the ink or paint is still dry.

I've used paint in the past with my stencils, but it kept glopping and seeping underneath the stencil edges so I stick to ink blending now. Just found my stencil brushes in a major craft drawer clean up, so I put those out where I can use them as well.

I used to quilt, once upon a time, so had a few sheets of stencil plastic that is wonderful to use with dies to make your own stencils.

Comrade Bunny, one very simple way to use stenciling is to use a circle as a sun or moon. I have some simple die cut circles cut into heavy card stock that I keep just for that purpose.

Lots of fun in store!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermom
View Post

Have you discovered pixie spray that you spray on the stencil to help keep it in place? I think that's the name of it. I used it at a trade show one time and remembered loving it but never got any

I just recently heard about Pixie Spray and am going to have to check it out.

Right now I use washi tape to tape down the corners,, but some of the more intricate stencils (or worse..masks) need more help. Thanks!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 12:12 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I think I tend to like geometric shapes for my stencils. The first one I bought was diamonds. I'm sure I will expand my tastes as time passes.

Quick question. How do you store your stencils?

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 12:51 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazeka
View Post

Quote:

I'm pretty obsessive about cleaning my stencils as well, otherwise the extra ink gets everywhere (including on me). My craft room is directly across from the upstairs bathroom so I just run water over it in the sink and pat dry. Don't even need soap if the ink or paint is still dry.

I've used paint in the past with my stencils, but it kept glopping and seeping underneath the stencil edges so I stick to ink blending now. Just found my stencil brushes in a major craft drawer clean up, so I put those out where I can use them as well.
I used to quilt, once upon a time, so had a few sheets of stencil plastic that is wonderful to use with dies to make your own stencils.
Comrade Bunny, one very simple way to use stenciling is to use a circle as a sun or moon. I have some simple die cut circles cut into heavy card stock that I keep just for that purpose.
Lots of fun in store!
Karen

My husband’s bathroom is a couple steps from my office/craft room but when using more than one stencil I don’t like to get up: lazy and it interrupts the mojo, and goodness knows I have little enough of that as is. (Not kidding.)

I used to get glop-and-seep until instructed to use less paint, not too runny a paint, only pounce (not side to side), and use a foam stencil brush, other type of stencil brush or a flat sponge. No more seep. (Now that I said that, the next time it will happen, watch.) Of course there’s no requirement to use paint.

Sometimes I do a Paper Artsy Fresco background and stencil on top of it or do a partial stencil. We did that in the class too, not my idea.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-15-2020 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Sorry about all the extra lines, not putting them in and this time can’t remove them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 03:18 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunny

Thanks for all the wonderful tips. I think I tend to like geometric shapes for my stencils. The first one I bought was diamonds. I'm sure I will expand my tastes as time passes.

Quick question. How do you store your stencils?

I like geometrics and patterned stencils, rather than images, myself.  The Christmas card uses a patterned stencil with geometric trees. 
Although they're technically trees, they read more as a geometric all-over pattern. You can have fun with these. 
I've 
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 06-15-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 03:20 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Hmmm, looks like my previous post only shows one of my stenciled examples. Here is the coffee cup. I used it the leaf stencil on the sleeve.

Last edited by kazeka; 06-15-2020 at 03:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 03:24 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Comrade Bunny,
Here I used the same leaf stencil as an all-over pattern. You can see that they are recognizable as leaves but they read almost as a geometric. So you can really have fun with stencils.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Comrade Bunny,
It just happens that I've been changing my stencil storage around this week. I used to keep brass stencils in a drawer. My plastic stencils were in binders (page protectors), with the longer stencil stored sideways in a cardboard magazine holder on a shelf.

Just changed it so that the long stencils are hanging on book rings, from a hook where they don't get bent. Also, they're easier to remember to use them, because I have them in full view on the wall.
The brass stencils were NEVER used because they were hidden from my sight. So I've pulled them out and am storing them upright in a small box.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 03:32 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Bjeans, good tip not to use to much, and to use a foam pouncer. I used to store my stencils poorly, so a few of them got bent. The intricate inner parts won't stay flat anymore so they need assistance. I wonder if a temporary tape runner would work? I have an old Tombow Mono-adhesive with a repositionable refill in it and might give that a try.

Any ideas on how to flatten out a bent stencil? It isn't creased, just slightly bowed so it won't lie perfectly flat against the paper.

Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 06-16-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 04:47 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

View Post

Bjeans, good tip not to use to much, and to use a foam pouncher. I used to store my stencils poorly, so a few of them got bent. The intricate inner parts won't stay flat anymore so they need assistance. I wonder if a temporary tape runner would work? I have an old Tombow Mono-adhesive with a repositionable refill in it and might give that a try.

Any ideas on how to flatten out a bent stencil? It isn't creased, just slightly bowed so it won't lie perfectly flat against the paper.

Karen

First, love your stenciled cards - how fun and smart to give a pattern to the cup. And the all over simple, modern pattern for your peace card. Don’t get me started on birds. You have a good eye.

When I’ve bent inner picky pieces, CAREFULLY applied heat from a heat tool can bend them down. Apply a small amount of heat for a couple seconds, move the tool away, pat down the offending bendy bit(s), a little more heat, pat down the bits, etc. Not too close if it’s a powerful heat gun like a Wagner. The stencils can melt. And not a powerful heat gun used for paint, from a hardware store.

I used to occasionally make paint samples for clients on 18x24” Mighty Board - matte plastic boards that take paint extremely well. I was on the phone once while drying the first coat with a paint gun, wasn’t paying attention and got huge ripples in the very thick plastic. So a “real” heat gun would destroy a stencil in about 0.005 seconds.  

For a curl on the whole stencil, you can try rolling gently in the opposite direction in or around a mailing tube or other non-squishy tube - like a rolling pin (hard) but not a paper towel cardboard roll (squishy). Or weighting heavy books on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 06:05 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Comrade Bunny, here’s a recent thread about stencil storage. I think about switching to a binder, but when previously doing so I’d eventually switch to bins. It’s easier for me to leaf through upright stamps and dies pockets rather than flipping through pages and opening and closing binder rings, or if in page protectors or coin pockets, pulling items out, flipping to different sections and putting them away in reverse.

Pulling several or a bunch of stencils (or dies or stamps) to decide which to use is part of the process. (A placeholder piece is popped in when I remove a die.)

But stencils are floppier than stamps or dies, so upright facing me to see them well isn’t ideal. Mine are stacked in an Interdesign/idesign/frig bin by category. I like L page protectors for some since they’re open on two sides, rather than the ones with top or side openings only, but you can trim off the side or top of regular page protectors to get the L.

Stencil storage? - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 06:58 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Here’s a Jennifer McGuire system for storing 6x6 and smaller stencils. I think I’d rather cut down thicker page protectors to make them L-sleeves or buy L-sleeves but it’s a nice system.   https://m. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

A Colorful Life has amazing stencils - that’s all they make, including geometrics, punny, etc. All the 6x6 work for cards. I won a gift certificate to them last year here and got the layered Fluffy Flowers and am about to buy others. 

Birch Press Designs has some gorgeous layered stencils. I fooled around with one set using colored pencils with some great results. Reminded me of Etch-A-Sketch a bit!  https://birchpressdesign.com/?target=search&mode=search&substring=stencil&inclu ding=all

Stencil Girl is another site. : )

Last edited by bjeans; 06-16-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 10:16 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

View Post

Comrade Bunny, here’s a recent thread about stencil storage. I think about switching to a binder, but when previously doing so I’d eventually switch to bins. It’s easier for me to leaf through upright stamps and dies pockets rather than flipping through pages and opening and closing binder rings, or if in page protectors or coin pockets, pulling items out, flipping to different sections and putting them away in reverse.

Pulling several or a bunch of stencils (or dies or stamps) to decide which to use is part of the process. (A placeholder piece is popped in when I remove a die.)

But stencils are floppier than stamps or dies, so upright facing me to see them well isn’t ideal. Mine are stacked in an Interdesign/idesign/frig bin by category. I like L page protectors for some since they’re open on two sides, rather than the ones with top or side openings only, but you can trim off the side or top of regular page protectors to get the L.

Stencil storage? - Splitcoaststampers

I used to store mine in binders too, but found that I just didn't use them because it was too much trouble to pull the binder out, flip through to find what I wanted, and then remember to put it all away again.

I've stores my smaller to mid-sized stencils in clear envelopes that are open at the top. Cut some dark card stock to size so it doesn't flop over, and so that the stencil really shows up. Then they're upright in a bin. The larger stencils aren't as visible, because of being stored in a magazine rack but they're too big to fit into any of my bins without falling over.

Just pulled all of my small brass stencils out of a drawer and looking through them. I am shocked at how many I have!! That just proves that out of sight is out of mind for me.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 10:25 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Bjeans,

Thank you for the detailed instructions on how to flatten a bent stencil. I'll have to pull the culprits out again and see what exactly is wrong with them. I have a heat embossing gun so that should be perfect.

I have a hibiscus mask that is the worst. Since it has a slightly tacky back, for better adhesion, I was worried about adding heat. However, it has a few long, thin parts that are so bent that I figure I have nothing to lose. Worst case, I'll trim the offending parts off and use the "good" part.

Some of the hardest stencils for me to store without damage are the long strips. I put them all on book rings the other day and am hanging them on the wall now. Hoping they stay flat that way. I wish I had been more careful about the way I stored these in the past. However, at least they weren't really expensive, so it's not a complete disaster.

By the way, you're an amazing source of information and have been so helpful. Thanks also for your sweet comments on my stenciled cards. I hope that it inspires Comrade Bunny to jump into stenciling and have fun.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 02:03 PM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Just don’t burn yourself! Maybe even pat the offending piece down with a cloth. I used my fingers but do as I say, not as I do.

The rings sound good - and handy. I have an old, huge encyclopedia that was my parents before I was born, and that has provided some heft to straighten things out.

And gee, thank you so much. We all help each other, have our little niches. I’m just happen to be an information junky. Too much sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 02:52 PM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm a stencil luv'er as well. I use them with ink pads, glitter paste, embossing paste and acrylic paint.
If you use acrylic paint I suggest you add a capful or two (depending on your tub of water) of Murphy's Oil Soap for easy removal of paint (I also use to clean up my red rubber stamps when stamping with acrylics).
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 04:06 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

And it’s super easy to color embossing paste. Just smoosh an ink pad onto your craft mat, add a bit of embossing paste and mix with a palette knife. If it’s too light, smoosh a little more, mix and apply. There are other methods too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 03:35 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Comrade Bunny, love the leaf stencil. Will go hunting. Lots of good ideas here. Will check out some of these sources. Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 04:08 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently started using stencils too. A hint I found that I like is to finish by covering the whole top of the stencil with medium, add a piece of card stock and run the entire sandwich through my Big Kick. It adds texture and gives two backgrounds and I don’t feel so bad about all that wasted ink. The reverse image is usually more subdued.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 05:45 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Speaking of stencils... this card by Stacy at Tattered Nest Design made me swoon. I’m more clean & simple than vintage/mixed media, but don’t mind crossing the line for this! And don’t you think the trees stencil can be used for far more than Christmas? The stencil is widely sold; I got mine on ebay. (I like using affiliate links as a thank you for the effort and inspiration bloggers give us, but Ranger is out and shipping would be high for just one stencil.)
http://tatterednestdesigns.com/merry...-speckled-egg/

Speaking of storage, here’s the blog of the Jennifer McGuire storage in case anyone wants to more easily see the containers she uses: VIDEO: Stencil Storage... and Giveaway! - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Comrade Bunny and other posters, you have revved up my stencil gene!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 06:42 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I have recently leaned toward floral stencils with ink and colored artist pencils. Inspired by a gorgeous card from Kristina Werner, I have also incorporated the design on the envelope (she calls it mail art). I find that I am including the envelope art more and more...sort of like a "sneek peek" of something beautiful inside for the recipient!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

View Post

And it’s super easy to color embossing paste. Just smoosh an ink pad onto your craft mat, add a bit of embossing paste and mix with a palette knife. If it’s too light, smoosh a little more, mix and apply. There are other methods too.

I haven't tried embossing paste yet, but I recently got a small jar of white. Also bought 3 really small jars of colored paste last year...but still haven't opened them up. I think it's time to just jump in!

After all this talk about stenciling, I ended up ordering 4 new ones with a gift certificate I had last night. So now I'm ready with my stencil brushes, ink blenders, stencils and maybe even my embossing paste.

Thanks for all the ideas !

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 09:29 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by psmiller
View Post

I have recently leaned toward floral stencils with ink and colored artist pencils. Inspired by a gorgeous card from Kristina Werner, I have also incorporated the design on the envelope (she calls it mail art). I find that I am including the envelope art more and more...sort of like a "sneek peek" of something beautiful inside for the recipient!

Kristina's decorated envelopes are so gorgeous! I'd be scared to send those through the mail because some of my envelopes get pretty mangled. However, such is the case with mail art...it's not meant to be permanent.

Stenciling on an envelope would be a wonderful way to add design without bulk though...never even thought to do that.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 09:32 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

View Post

Speaking of stencils... this card by Stacy at Tattered Nest Design made me swoon. I’m more clean & simple than vintage/mixed media, but don’t mind crossing the line for this! And don’t you think the trees stencil can be used for far more than Christmas? The stencil is widely sold; I got mine on ebay. (I like using affiliate links as a thank you for the effort and inspiration bloggers give us, but Ranger is out and shipping would be high for just one stencil.)
http://tatterednestdesigns.com/merry...-speckled-egg/

Speaking of storage, here’s the blog of the Jennifer McGuire storage in case anyone wants to more easily see the containers she uses: VIDEO: Stencil Storage... and Giveaway! - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Comrade Bunny and other posters, you have revved up my stencil gene!

Oh my goodness, that is one gorgeous card! I read through the instructions to see how she got that wonderful color and texture on the trees. I am also more of a CAS card maker, but vintage, artsy projects like this always make me take notice.

This thread is definitely getting my stencil interests ramped up!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 10:27 AM   #31  
Matboard Maniac

I've only used ink so far with my stencil. I've never tried texture paste, glitter paste, embossing paste or anything like that because I don't like a big mess. Is it easy to clean paste off of a stencil?

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 11:42 AM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

My first card made by using a stencil.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 11:54 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Palette icon

Woo! {applause} Good going, very pretty. Love the variation. Aren’t you happy?
And yes, it’s easy to clean paste off of stencils. You can gently wipe it off if you want and then either wash it off as soon as you’re done with it, or plop it into a container/dish pan/etc. with water to soak until the end of your crafting session. That’s what I do, and have a collapsible dishpan so storage is easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 11:56 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

View Post

Woo! {applause} Good going, very pretty. Love the variation. Aren’t you happy?

And yes, it’s easy to clean paste off of stencils. You can gently wipe it off if you want and then either wash it off as soon as you’re done with it, or plop it into a container/dish pan/etc. with water to soak until the end of your crafting session. That’s what I do, and have a collapsible dishpan so storage is easy.

Where did you find a collapsible dishpan?

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 11:59 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

On Amazon. Just search on collapsible dishpan - there are a bunch. I got this one but quite a while back and you may see others you like better. Since some of my stencils are large I wanted to make sure they’d fit the bottom of the pan: https://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Pro...5-4be35d7258cc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 12:04 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Comrade Bunny...
YES!!! This is beautiful, and the perfect background for that floral image. So glad you jumped on the stenciling bandwagon because you're going to love it . What did you use to apply the ink? I love the gradations of color and tone that are possible with stenciling. You get dimension without bulk.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 12:33 PM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

Not looking for a stencil (really!) I stumbled across a cake stencil on Ranger with lots of different elements, so could use different mediums for different parts of the cake - like paste for frosting. Not my usual style but I could see using it. [Note to self: Beth, STOP buying stencils.]

https://rangerink.com/collections/ne...6x6-cake-maker
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 01:39 PM   #38  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Great first go! You are a natural!

To me, that was a great first choice b/c the pattern is small... that makes it more versatile-you can do a total cover like you did, or you can do panels or shapes like you could that on a circle die cut...

I have tons of them and one reason I love them is you can do a lot and they don't cost a lot esp when on sale About the only tool cheaper might be embossing folders on sale...on the other hand the stuff you use with them could get pricey.

You might want to watch some YT vids just to see what people do with them to help you learn what is versatile..ones with clean looks making backgrounds like you did.

I store them either in the original packaging which I adjust to be 6 x 6 or less...if that falls apart, I switch to 6 1/4 square (?) cello bag. I often pop some cheap thin black cs behind them to see the pattern well and fast as I flip thru them in a bin. I divided them with 3/$1 cutting boards that I cut down as dividers. The dangerous bit I suppose is you can have a LOT of them in one box.

One note: There is a difference between masks and stencils. AND there are stencils that are mylar meaning they are very thin and far more flexible. I personally would have a hard time working with those if I wanted to hinge them for paste etc. I have a few and that's just me.

Treat them like everything else-can you see several choices to do with them? There are spectacular one trick pony stencils but they are still just a one trick pony. Which is fine. I would limit those for now.

I could talk stencils all day, but your question was have we fallen down rabbit holes after trying something we had resisted? I would say for me...Oxide inks. I sat back on those for a long time. Now I have em all...will I get all the new colors? I don't know. My drawer is full and I am not anxious to have to figure out a new storage idea.

That to me (aside from cost and space) is one of the GREAT things about this all...there is always some product you have not tried yet...it is like a never ending fun adventure. And you try it in the privacy of your home where no one sees you (unlike learning to ride a bike usually). Whoot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 02:10 PM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

View Post

Comrade Bunny...
YES!!! This is beautiful, and the perfect background for that floral image. So glad you jumped on the stenciling bandwagon because you're going to love it . What did you use to apply the ink? I love the gradations of color and tone that are possible with stenciling. You get dimension without bulk.
Karen

I used blending brushes to apply the ink. I have the round sponges from Ranger, but they never seem to want to spread nicely for me when I use them. I really like the brushes.

-Adam Osborne-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 05:13 PM   #40  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I might use pixie spray if you are using brushes as they can get under your stencil. Some patterns that might matter.

I like the Holtz shifter stencils. Nice way to make a background and it lines up for you.
This demo explains them...and also the grid sticky paper. There are a lot of choices.

I like the "build a" series at Altenew...hearts, grid, etc.

https://altenew.com/collections/sten...uilder-stencil

Have fun! Lots of stencils to play with and more all the time
Reply With Quote Likes