Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Do you spend more time on cards that you send to crafters?

I used to make and send very elaborate cards, that took a long time to make, to all of my family members. Then I realized that the only one who kept any of them for longer than 2 days were my mom and my sister. My sister actually keeps all the cards I make, and displays them every year for holidays, birthdays etc. Wow, when I found that out I was astounded! The funny thing is that I apparently sent her the exact same card twice, two years apart. I guess I had made duplicates, just changing the colors in each. When I found myself short of time, I sent it to her. She placed the duplicate cards in her Thanksgiving display, as always, and we had a real laugh over the two twin cards. She does the same for her birthday, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Easter. So I always make sure to make her a special card, and try to make it unique..haha!

My other sister tosses everything out after a couple of days, so I make her simple cards that are often duplicates of those I might add to my donation box. I used to just send her purchased cards, but I make so many cards that I never send those anymore at all.

As a cardmaker myself, however, I keep almost all of the handmade cards I receive. My favorites are stored in a plastic bin, where I can pull them out for inspiration. Others might be recycled at some future date. As none of my friends and family make cards, my collection isn't too overwhelming. In fact, none of my local friends are even sending cards at all anymore..it's all email or e-cards (sigh). I'm lucky to get 4 cards for my birthday. This year however, I signed up for the Birthday RAk and have been sending 5-7 cards a month and was just showered with beautiful handmade cards for my birthday last month. Wow, I felt so special! Those cards are all still on display and I was really surprised at how many came in the mail. I expected no more than about 7-8.

So my question is this. Do you purposely spend more time on cards that you send to other crafters/stampers? Do you send simpler cards to those who will probably toss them right away? Do you make cards more for creative expression, or to send out?
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't know that I spend more time on cards going to fellow crafters, but I do pay more attention to detail. I don't send that many cards anyway, so the simplicity/complexity of them has more to do with the personality of the recipient than anything else. Full disclosure: I'm looking for alternative ways to use all of my tools and supplies rather than cards for just that reason (the infrequency of the sending)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 03:18 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I don't know that I spend more time on cards going to fellow crafters, but I do pay more attention to detail. I don't send that many cards anyway, so the simplicity/complexity of them has more to do with the personality of the recipient than anything else. Full disclosure: I'm looking for alternative ways to use all of my tools and supplies rather than cards for just that reason (the infrequency of the sending)...
I actually started out as a scrapbooker, and discovered card making as a result of looking for ways to justify a die cut machine. I loved the look of embossing folders, but after making a few tags for my scrapbooks, I ran out of good ideas. Then I heard about a few groups that were asking for card donations and I took off with that. Now I rarely scrapbook, and most of my crafting turns out to be card making. I make all my Christmas cards, and gift tags. Also make packets of cards as gifts for my friends and family who don't make cards.

My daughter uses her tools to make home decor and party decorations and favors. I am usually corralled to help out with those as well. My family often has requests for things like party invitations, party banners, or gift bags.

A lot of stampers make mini-albums, planners, journals etc, but I don't have the room to store things like that, so I stopped making them. I like to make cards because the finished product usually leaves my house, and they don't pile up. I began volunteering to teach card making at our local Senior Center some years back, and often donate cards to their gift shop. They sell individual cards for 50 cent to $1.00 each.

Anyway, those are ways I get rid of the cards that I make, or use my supplies in different ways. What do you use your tools and supplies for, besides cards?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 03:28 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I make cards it’s usually for my own expression. I do send cards out weekly and try to pick a card from my stash that will fit the recipient. If a special occasion comes up I do make more elaborate cards for those I know will appreciate them.
I don’t sign them and many pass them along. They keep them for a while and then use them as needed, which pleases me no end.
The long and the short is, not really. I create what makes me happy and send them out as they comevto the top of my stash. 😉
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, I spend more time on cards I make for friends who are cardmakers or crafters and also for family and friends who I know really enjoy them because they usually let me know that they liked the card I sent. I made lots of "generic" cards of all types, floral, masculine, cute, etc. and these I send out to the rest of the people I mail cards too. In the almost 30 years I've made cards, my brother and sister-in-law have never said one word about them but their grown kids and grandkids love them and always let me know that they enjoy them, often asking questions on how I made a particular card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 03:49 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
When I make cards it’s usually for my own expression. I do send cards out weekly and try to pick a card from my stash that will fit the recipient. If a special occasion comes up I do make more elaborate cards for those I know will appreciate them.
I don’t sign them and many pass them along. They keep them for a while and then use them as needed, which pleases me no end.
The long and the short is, not really. I create what makes me happy and send them out as they comevto the top of my stash. 😉
Exactly what I do!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 03:59 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

The actual crafting time is probably the same for all cards but for fellow crafters there is much more thinking time involved. New techniques, new color combos, more embellishments are all part of the equation. After much thought, the parts usually fall into place quickly.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 04:18 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

If I know the person will appreciate it, I make a more detailed and involved card. If the card is for someone who I know will just toss it after a day or two, I spend less time. If it's for my father-in-law, who once folded up a detailed card and shoved it in his pocket right in front of me (yes, I actually gasped out loud!), I just slap on a piece of patterned paper and a die-cut sentiment and call it done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 04:37 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I have to be honest and say that I've never sent my cards to other card makers. I'm scared to. I've seen the work people do here and I'm amazed and worry my cards won't be good enough to justify receiving a nice card from someone else. Yes, I over think things. I'm trying to build up my courage to join a swap. I'm sure I will spend a lot of time on the cards I send because I will want them to speak well of my skills.

As others have said, for family and friends, it depends on the recipient. I made cards for a friend of mine to give to her family members, so I worked very hard on them even though I didn't know how they would be received. I wanted them to speak well of her. I made an accordion folded card for my uncle's 80th birthday with 80 candles. I didn't know if he would keep it, but he said we couldn't give him gifts, so I wanted my card to be like a gift. I send simpler cards to my girlfriend who I know throws them away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I have to be honest and say that I've never sent my cards to other card makers. I'm scared to. I've seen the work people do here and I'm amazed and worry my cards won't be good enough to justify receiving a nice card from someone else.
This just makes me sad. Regardless of your "perceived" skill level (your own perception), anyone/everyone enjoys being thought of and a card reinforces that this is the case. ANY snail mail indicates thought beyond a passing one, so it is even more validating than a phone call or email or text, as there is considerably more effort involved. Brave up and send some out - you'll likely be surprised at how well-received they are!

I think it's a lot like body dysmorphic disorder (say that six times fast, lol) - what we see in the mirror isn't what others see when they look at us. What you see when you look at your cards may be the flaws, but the recipient will see a kind gesture and something unique that they didn't have before. I tend toward CAS but still send my cards to my friend who does very involved, layered, embellished cards. Mine look like a kindergartener's compared to hers. Does she care? Nope - she loves and saves them all. Win/win for both of us...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I have to be honest and say that I've never sent my cards to other card makers. I'm scared to. I've seen the work people do here and I'm amazed and worry my cards won't be good enough to justify receiving a nice card from someone else. Yes, I over think things. I'm trying to build up my courage to join a swap. I'm sure I will spend a lot of time on the cards I send because I will want them to speak well of my skills.

As others have said, for family and friends, it depends on the recipient. I made cards for a friend of mine to give to her family members, so I worked very hard on them even though I didn't know how they would be received. I wanted them to speak well of her. I made an accordion folded card for my uncle's 80th birthday with 80 candles. I didn't know if he would keep it, but he said we couldn't give him gifts, so I wanted my card to be like a gift. I send simpler cards to my girlfriend who I know throws them away.
Yes, yes, yes, send them to everyone!!! Your cards are beautiful when lovingly hand made!! The recipient will love that you thought of them.
And as has been said, you may be amazed at how well they are received by most. I am always amazed at the stories of how my family and friends use them and the reactions of the mail carriers that deliver them! (Decorate the envelope.)
Sooo, send them out to everyone!! Card makers may even be the most appreciative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 10:10 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
Yes, I spend more time on cards I make for friends who are cardmakers or crafters and also for family and friends who I know really enjoy them because they usually let me know that they liked the card I sent. I made lots of "generic" cards of all types, floral, masculine, cute, etc. and these I send out to the rest of the people I mail cards too. In the almost 30 years I've made cards, my brother and sister-in-law have never said one word about them but their grown kids and grandkids love them and always let me know that they enjoy them, often asking questions on how I made a particular card.
Most of the cards that I send to family and friends aren't even acknowledged at all, but my crafting friends usually take the time to thank me for sending one. I still send cards anyway, but it's always encouraging and motivating when I at least get a notification that the card arrived.

An interesting thing is that I used to make handmade cards for my father-in-law for every occasion and never knew if he liked it or not. Even when I gave it to him in person, he would thank me for the card and gift, but I didn't know what he thought about the card. Didn't bother me, but I always assumed he tossed them fairly quickly. Imagine my surprise when he passed away and we found every single card I'd ever made him, tucked away in a box.

So, I suppose you never know how much enjoyment your handmade cards can give to the recipient. I guess that's kept me motivated as well.
Karen

Last edited by kazeka; 06-11-2020 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 04:40 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

Most of the cards that I send to family and friends aren't even acknowledged at all, but my crafting friends usually take the time to thank me for sending one. I still send cards anyway, but it's always encouraging and motivating when I at least get a notification that the card arrived.

An interesting thing is that I used to make handmade cards for my father-in-law for every occasion and never knew if he liked it or not. Even when I gave it to him in person, he would thank me for the card and gift, but I didn't know what he thought about the card. Didn't bother me, but I always assumed he tossed them fairly quickly. Imagine my surprise when he passed away and we found every single card I'd ever made him, tucked away in a box.

So, I suppose you never know how much enjoyment your handmade cards can give to the recipient. I guess that's kept me motivated as well.
Karen
Amen! I don’t often get comments from those I send cards to, and that’s OK.
I used to send cards to a cousin, after he passed away his partner told me he kept them all in a basket. I never knew. My sister fusses over each card and use to share them with the post office ladies. (She has home delivery now.) I have another cousin that keeps two or three and passes the others along as she needs a card. Her daughter now does the same. 😁😉🤗
Keep making and sending them out. It may be the best thing that happened to them that day. As mentioned above, your stamping and crafting friends will most likely acknowledge and appreciate your card!! There’s no better motivator than to know someone appreciates the thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 06:43 PM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't have any crafting friends or relatives. But I do admit to choosing the one with best details to send to those I perceive as critical. I make cards for our nursery workers at church with an uplifting message, and most of the recipients say they have kept every one I gave them. Other recipients give little response except my close friends.
I keep sending positive messages, and they read them. Most are just to lazy to comment or respond. "Modern times"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 04:37 AM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Good question!

I don't know in general.....hard to say. I want the card to fit the person if I am pulling from a made stash...if I am starting from scratch, then yes, if I know the person is going to toss it, it will be simple.

If it is a bud who sends me cards then yes, I would try harder. Problem is when I "try harder" I can end up with a mess of too much. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 08:12 AM   #16  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

No, I don't save the fancier cards for crafty friends. I make cards as I'm inspired, with no one in particular in mind. So when it comes time to mail them, I pick from my stash the card I think the recipient would enjoy the most.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 09:03 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Good question!

I don't know in general.....hard to say. I want the card to fit the person if I am pulling from a made stash...if I am starting from scratch, then yes, if I know the person is going to toss it, it will be simple.

If it is a bud who sends me cards then yes, I would try harder. Problem is when I "try harder" I can end up with a mess of too much. lol
Oh, I know that feeling. I make cards all the time, but when I'm trying to make a special card then the pressure mounts!! Half the time I end up paralyzed and can't even start on it..ugh.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 10:01 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
This just makes me sad. Regardless of your "perceived" skill level (your own perception), anyone/everyone enjoys being thought of and a card reinforces that this is the case. ANY snail mail indicates thought beyond a passing one, so it is even more validating than a phone call or email or text, as there is considerably more effort involved. Brave up and send some out - you'll likely be surprised at how well-received they are!

I think it's a lot like body dysmorphic disorder (say that six times fast, lol) - what we see in the mirror isn't what others see when they look at us. What you see when you look at your cards may be the flaws, but the recipient will see a kind gesture and something unique that they didn't have before. I tend toward CAS but still send my cards to my friend who does very involved, layered, embellished cards. Mine look like a kindergartener's compared to hers. Does she care? Nope - she loves and saves them all. Win/win for both of us...
You're right. I see only the flaws. My mother was a perfectionist and I am trying hard to fight my tendency to be one too. It makes my perception of what I make skewed. I think I will go have a look at the card exchange. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
Yes, yes, yes, send them to everyone!!! Your cards are beautiful when lovingly hand made!! The recipient will love that you thought of them.
And as has been said, you may be amazed at how well they are received by most. I am always amazed at the stories of how my family and friends use them and the reactions of the mail carriers that deliver them! (Decorate the envelope.)
Sooo, send them out to everyone!! Card makers may even be the most appreciative!
Your right. I've gotten lovely complements from the people I sent tiny cards to as part of the package I sent for Pay It Forward. Crafters probably are the most appreciative as they know what it takes to make a card. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 10:07 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Your right. I've gotten lovely complements from the people I sent tiny cards to as part of the package I sent for Pay It Forward. Crafters probably are the most appreciative as they know what it takes to make a card. Thanks.
Hi Karen,
As one who has received one of your adorable (and beautifully made) tiny PIF cards, I can't believe you don't feel confident enough to send cards out to other crafters. Your coloring and design is just wonderful. As you know, that little card just charmed me.
I say go for it! You have nothing to worry about because the sample that I saw was definitely in the top 5 of cards that I've received.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

You're right. I see only the flaws. My mother was a perfectionist and I am trying hard to fight my tendency to be one too. It makes my perception of what I make skewed. I think I will go have a look at the card exchange. Thanks.
Karen,
I used to feel really self conscious about my cards as well but one way I got past it was to start donating handmade cards to several organizations. I still donate many cards to nursing homes and the thought that it will cheer someone up and be appreciated (even if it's not perfect) is a real motivation. I still have one or two clunkers that I make, and have to resist re-doing them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes, I do spend more time on cards going to fellow card makers. A lot of my friends that used to be card makers are not anymore. Card making is my therapy, so I make and send them regardless. I do love that a couple of family members tell me that they look forward to my hand made Christmas cards every year. They get special cards. Great post!
Laurie's Cards & Ramblings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 08:59 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 460 Likes on 307 Posts

I think it all depends - I find that in general I'm spending less time on each card these days in an effort to be able to produce more. But, yes, if I'm making one for a fellow cardmaker, it may not be the most-of-the-day designs I'd always done in the past, but I'll take longer than for a card for a non-cardmaker. Good question - thanks for sparking the conversation!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 09:53 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have been making cards for 30 years. I send cards for all the major holidays and birthdays. When sending cards to other crafters/stampers I try to send a unique card incorporating a new technique or new product. It can be a card that I CASE or something of my own design. I spend more time on elaborate cards for my closest friends and dearest relatives. These are the special people in my life that always call/text to tell me they received my card and how much they like it. My mother saved every card I ever made her. I did not know that until she passed away. One time I was in a hurry making my father’s birthday card. I did not decorate the envelope. I figured he wouldn’t notice. I handed him the envelope (Daddy written on the front) and he turned it over and over. He said, “There’s nothing on the envelope!” My mother chided him and said, “She made the card inside.“ I never gave him a naked envelope again! Who knew? My brother and his wife have never acknowledged a card. They get my prototype card. His daughters always acknowledge my cards. Thankfully they do not follow his example. I make cards for both creative expression and to send out. A card from me means I am thinking of you and I made this just for you. I sign my cards. I do not write in them. To me the card says it all. I have been teaching card making classes for 8 years. During the Shelter in Place I have been sending out free card kits to 20 of my clients/crafty friends. I include a completed card (blank) and the supplies to duplicate the card. They are not difficult cards as I do not send instructions. It allows me to stay creative during the lockdown, to let my friends know I am thinking of them and helping me to de stash a huge patterned paper stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 10:13 AM   #25  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello everyone, I do not have alot of people to send cards to and I do it more as a hobby. The cards I make or the most part go to Cards for Soldiers so they can be sent to the Military overseas, veterans, etc. Of those cards, some are simple and some have a bit more detail. Since they are going overseas for the most part they are never overdone and do not use glitter or anything sparkly that could come of on the soldiers and make them glisten. Could be a bad thing. As far as receiving cards that is generally only from my mom and daughter for which neither of them are in to paper crafts. :(.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 11:31 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunny
View Post

Comrade Bunny I chuckled when I read your post because that is me too. I have been card making for quite awhile now and I joke with my friends that this is God's way of teaching me to let go of perfectionism because I am totally incapable of creating a PERFECT card. I am now guided and inspired by Amish quilt makers who deliberately make a "mistake" in each quilt because they know that only God's creations are perfect. Even if you aren't religious, the truth is that no one creates a perfect card....period.

Also, I have learned that what I think is fabulous is not always what others think. I am often amazed when a card I make is highly complimented when I thought, "Meh, it's ok. I will post it anyways." LOL. And, because everyone does have different taste, vastly different styles, looks, etc. appeal to others. So, I quit trying to figure out if my cards were "good" and I just go with it now. I encourage you to do the same. You will find a lot of freedom in your crafting.

Finally, I also learned that I rarely create the card that is "in my head". I do not have the artistic ability to put onto paper what I imagine. And so often when I finish a card I am disappointed with the product. My good friend, who is a crafter but not a card maker, told me "don't worry about it -- just go to bed and the Craft Elves will fix it overnight -- don't know how they do it but they do." And you know, they do. I think the simple truth is that when you look at a card you just finished you see all the ways it didn't meet your expectations. But the next morning you are just looking at a card -- no expectations -- and you see it for what it is. And often, it's even better than what you had in your head. At least that's true for me. So, thank-you Craft Elves.

So, please, start sending those those cards and creating happy smiles.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 11:39 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 661 Likes on 443 Posts

Quote:
                                                                 Originally Posted by kazeka                                    
                I used to make and send very elaborate cards, that took a long time to make, to all of my family members. Then I realized that the only one who kept any of them for longer than 2 days were my mom and my sister. My sister actually keeps all the cards I make, and displays them every year for holidays, birthdays etc. Wow, when I found that out I was astounded! The funny thing is that I apparently sent her the exact same card twice, two years apart. I guess I had made duplicates, just changing the colors in each. When I found myself short of time, I sent it to her. She placed the duplicate cards in her Thanksgiving display, as always, and we had a real laugh over the two twin cards. She does the same for her birthday, Mother's Day, Thanksgiving and Easter. So I always make sure to make her a special card, and try to make it unique..haha!My other sister tosses everything out after a couple of days, so I make her simple cards that are often duplicates of those I might add to my donation box. I used to just send her purchased cards, but I make so many cards that I never send those anymore at all. As a cardmaker myself, however, I keep almost all of the handmade cards I receive. My favorites are stored in a plastic bin, where I can pull them out for inspiration. Others might be recycled at some future date. As none of my friends and family make cards, my collection isn't too overwhelming. In fact, none of my local friends are even sending cards at all anymore..it's all email or e-cards (sigh). I'm lucky to get 4 cards for my birthday. This year however, I signed up for the Birthday RAk and have been sending 5-7 cards a month and was just showered with beautiful handmade cards for my birthday last month. Wow, I felt so special! Those cards are all still on display and I was really surprised at how many came in the mail. I expected no more than about 7-8. So my question is this. Do you purposely spend more time on cards that you send to other crafters/stampers? Do you send simpler cards to those who will probably toss them right away? Do you make cards more for creative expression, or to send out?Karen

I agree with Sue. I don't necessary take more time, but I am probably more careful with the details. I make cards for each specific person I mail to and the design is dictated by that person and my inspiration at that moment. When I do make extras they are usually for donations. 
When I retired, I decided card making would be my go-to hobby. It's as easy as you want it to be; in the end (ignoring the cost of stamps, inks, dies, equipment, etc.) it's just paper; I can give cards endlessly without overburdening the recipients storage (unlike a quilt or embroidery or stained glass that may or may not suit their decor); and, if they decide to throw it out, I won't know and that's perfectly ok because, in the end, it's just paper. But, I am surprised and really pleased that several of my family members and friends do save my cards and appreciate the amount of work it takes to make them. They, of course, tend to be the ones who are crafters too; although not card makers. I think crafters, in general, appreciate the work that goes into any handmade article.  
So I say make the card that you enjoy making.  The recipient will get joy too just because you thought enough of them to make something for them and to send it.

Last edited by DebbieinOC; 06-16-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #28  
Glitter Queen

I'm kind of depressed reading this about card receivers. Out of 5 children, 11 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren, I usuallly receive a thanks from one or two elderly women whom I'm not related to. Even on wedding cards with money enclosed no responce. Kind of sad, but I keep sending them, it keeps me busy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:02 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Heart

Since I'm a CAS kinda cardmaker, my cards are usually pretty quick. If I know I'm going to send one to someone who especially values them I might use better embellishments etc. But generally I let the recipient determine what the card looks like. I think most people prefer less fussy cards in general. After all, look how popular Papyrus cards are.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:24 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I make cards-some elaborate and some simple. I send them because I want the person to know I was thinking of them. I don't expect a thank you and I don't care if they toss the card after a few days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by this is fun
View Post

Since I'm a CAS kinda cardmaker, my cards are usually pretty quick. If I know I'm going to send one to someone who especially values them I might use better embellishments etc. But generally I let the recipient determine what the card looks like. I think most people prefer less fussy cards in general. After all, look how popular Papyrus cards are.

Yes, I think a lot of the fun of making handmade cards to send are that you can tailor them to the recipient to some degree. I make more CAS cards for younger people (and by "young", I'm speaking from the point of view of a 68 year old..eek!). I do donate cards to a couple of nursing homes, and they often like the fussier designs. So I can use all of my various supplies and stamps either way.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nancy Hill
View Post

I'm kind of depressed reading this about card receivers. Out of 5 children, 11 grandchildren and 4 great grandchildren, I usuallly receive a thanks from one or two elderly women whom I'm not related to. Even on wedding cards with money enclosed no responce. Kind of sad, but I keep sending them, it keeps me busy.

Edited to add: Does anyone know why the spacing is off on these posts the past two days? I didn't have any space between my paragraphs but it's posting with huge gaps.

Yes, it is sad that so many people these days feel that it's okay not to acknowledge gifts. My mother used to refuse to give us the gift that someone sent to us UNTIL we wrote a thank you letter! Believe me, we learned how to write thank you notes right away, haha! I did the same thing for my two kids and my daughter is a stickler for sending thank you notes. She is also carrying on that tradition with her own children. My son, on the other hand is terrible at it.

While I don't expect a thank you or acknowledgement of the cards that I send, I do expect acknowledgement of gifts. However, that doesn't always happen. So I follow up and outright ask if they got my gift, and that usually gets a response. My pet peeve is when someone says, "I figured that you would notice when I cashed the check, and know that I got it"..argh.

End of rant.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:58 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

It's one of several bugs affecting the forum at the moment, along with issues posting photos and links.The best place to check/report anything like that is the support section here: Site Support, Technical ?s and Suggestions - Splitcoaststampers
In this case, as it's all part of an ongoing problem, the thread title doesn't relate much to your actual question.

Sorry. Having trouble getting the link to format. Site Support is right down at the bottom of the forum sections.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/forums/site-support-technical-s-suggestions-f12/?daysprune=365
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 01:59 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My sweet sister-in-law, Tracey, has told me that she saves every card she receives from me. That makes me feel good. I make sure to send everyone a nice card. Sometimes, it ends up that I use pretty/handsome paper and a sentiment. We always write inside, according to the event. We don't care how long they are saved. I quit sending cards to my 8 grandchildren for their birthdays, because it seemed as if they didn't appreciate it. I do, however, send their mother and step-father cards for their birthdays and mother's/father's day. I just finished making Tracey a bunch of Thank You cards to use, and I sent my father-in-law 25 christmas cards to send when the time comes. I hope he doesn't lose them! Senior moment and all...

Webster8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks Sabrina.
I thought it was something I was doing wrong at first but when I tried to edit, the odd spacing still showed up.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 01:51 AM   #36  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I too spend a little ore time on cards for people who appreciate them. I belong to 2 swaps and my mom does too. Sometimes the cards you receive back are not as complex but I tell my mom everybody has their own style. There are no bad cards, just different. I am just glad there are still people out there that like to make cards. I envy the gals in Britain as they really seem to love papercrafting over there. Wish it was that way here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #37  
Glitter Queen

I started out making cards to accompany the bead jewellery I used to make. Gradually the cardmaking took over but eventually that was not enough to keep me occupied so I started junk and art journaling. Now I make junk journals and little mini books or folders with ephemera in them, sometimes designed to be sent as a card/gift combined. I only make cards these days if I want to try out a new technique or if I am making a special card for my husband or close friends. I still have all my jewellery making kit so maybe one day I'll be combining the three crafts together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 08:01 AM   #38  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieinOC

Quote:

My good friend, who is a crafter but not a card maker, told me "don't worry about it -- just go to bed and the Craft Elves will fix it overnight -- don't know how they do it but they do." And you know, they do. I think the simple truth is that when you look at a card you just finished you see all the ways it didn't meet your expectations. But the next morning you are just looking at a card -- no expectations -- and you see it for what it is. And often, it's even better than what you had in your head. At least that's true for me. So, thank-you Craft Elves.

So, please, start sending those those cards and creating happy smiles.

So true! That’s a great term...Craft Elves. So many times I have made a card that I wasn’t happy with, but the next day I look at it and think “Wow, that’s not bad at all!” Now, I set all my new projects aside and give them a fresh look the next day. It’s amazing

So yeah, thank you Craft Elves
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 09:36 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2cards
View Post

I too spend a little ore time on cards for people who appreciate them. I belong to 2 swaps and my mom does too. Sometimes the cards you receive back are not as complex but I tell my mom everybody has their own style. There are no bad cards, just different. I am just glad there are still people out there that like to make cards. I envy the gals in Britain as they really seem to love papercrafting over there. Wish it was that way here!

I read a lot of the UK card making magazines and their style seems to be different from ones that are popular in the US. Seems like many work with lots of ornate dies, layers, paper flowers, and very feminine themes. I tend to stick to more simple cards, due to mailing issues.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2020, 05:28 PM   #40  
Glitter Queen

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I tend to spend more time on cards to people that I know really enjoy getting them or other crafters that I want to feel special. I also do a lot of clean and simple cards and I just love to make them. It is my therapy so I donate a few hundred to different charities every year to bash the collection. I started out as a scrapbooker and fell to cards and my current project is mini albums! I love them as I am trying to get to every state park in Georgia this year to hike and I put a couple of visits in each album.
Reply With Quote Likes