Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-06-2020, 09:30 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts
Question Foam blending circles & Embossing powders

Okay, couple of pick your brains thoughts. for the most part I am pretty organized but, I have a couple of things that make me crazy that I have not found my "thing" for them yet, one of them is

embossing powders because, all the containers are different sizes and shapes. I did buy some little boxes with lids that can seal for the ones I use the most but, I have not moved any powder to them because, I would need some idea of how to corral the boxes after.

and my other one is, those little foam circles that adhere with a Velcro system to those Tim Holtz blender tools.

I did for a while try sticking them to Velcro to the bottoms of the pads but, I have my pads inside these cassette tape holders that are so tight I can barely get the pads in and out of some of the holes ( and yes, the index stickers are scratched or distressed on the edges because of that, so the having the foam under neath I really did not like that) so, I am looking for some kind of a container that would hold them somehow maybe.

My Blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 02:35 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Could you attach the blending circles to the inside of one of those plastic school folders so you could just slide it into a bookshelf or something? The embossing powders in the little boxes could be lined up on their sides on a shelf or in a bin or drawer so you could easily see which one you want and not have to stack/unstack anything. I only have my clear embossing powder in a different container than it came in - the others are just upside-down in a shallow drawer so I can see what color they are.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I keep my jars of embossing powder in their original containers, upright in a shallow box. I labeled the tops with the color, so I can see them without taking them out of the box. That box sits on a shelf right beneath my craft table, and I slide it out wen I need to find a jar of EP. Extra powders that I don't use as often, are just stored in a plastic bin with a lid.
My foam ink blenders are just tossed in an open box that I keep on my desk, and I rummage through them for the color that most closely matches the ink I want to use. My ink pads are stored in a large wooden cassette holder on the wall, so there isn't any room to allow for attaching the ink blending pads to the ink either. I keep several handles in the same box with the blending pads and find that I can use the same ink blender for more than one shade of a color. For instance, one blender suffices for several different shades of blue. I just use scrap paper to get the excess old ink off, and go for it. I periodically wash my ink blenders, and when they're dry, I store them in a plastic lidded box that was sold to store kid's school supplies. If I need a new ink blender, I just grab one from the box. That's what works for me anyway.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 04:48 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I guess I should tell you stamp on a plastic folding table set to counter height ( because, it would make it up the U shaped stairs to the hobby room over the garage) so, I do not have any drawers... ( I wish)

but, I am thinking out loud now that I should have some page protectors that are those coin pocket sized and they would fit into my ink samples binder book pretty dang easily.

so, Thanks ladies.

I have a metal it has tiny little drawers thing that I got from a yard sale years ago and I have three drawers filled with jars of powders double stacked because, the drawers are narrow and long and that deep, and then I have a basket in the closet filled with jars of newer colors of powders, and then I have a handled tool tote thing that was something found at home depot a long time ago that is deep enough to hold the larger bottles of powders ( think UTEE sized jars.) (but they have to lay on their sides so sometimes they leak in this box and that makes me crazy) so, really I probably need to figure out just how many jars I have to figure out a better place to put them all. because, I would ideally like to have them all together.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 04:52 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I do have one of those rolling trolley carts from IKEA in the closet ( because, there is no carpet in there) and I am just glancing at it thinking ( I Moved the bulk of my punches to a get rid of them pile for the most part this morning) and now I have one bin on that trolley empty. that would work as a "big drawer" maybe...

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 09:25 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
I guess I should tell you stamp on a plastic folding table set to counter height ( because, it would make it up the U shaped stairs to the hobby room over the garage) so, I do not have any drawers... ( I wish)

but, I am thinking out loud now that I should have some page protectors that are those coin pocket sized and they would fit into my ink samples binder book pretty dang easily.

so, Thanks ladies.

I have a metal it has tiny little drawers thing that I got from a yard sale years ago and I have three drawers filled with jars of powders double stacked because, the drawers are narrow and long and that deep, and then I have a basket in the closet filled with jars of newer colors of powders, and then I have a handled tool tote thing that was something found at home depot a long time ago that is deep enough to hold the larger bottles of powders ( think UTEE sized jars.) (but they have to lay on their sides so sometimes they leak in this box and that makes me crazy) so, really I probably need to figure out just how many jars I have to figure out a better place to put them all. because, I would ideally like to have them all together.
I stamp on a resin folding table that is only 4 feet long, so no drawers for me either. I buy those rolling Iris carts with drawers, that are lining the wall next to my table. The rest is all wall shelves. I have bins under my table with supplies, and one wire cube storage that I added an extra shelf to by hanging it with twist ties. That's what I use as my embossing powder shelf. All very much a slapped together storage system but I know where everything is (well, most of it at least).
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 09:29 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I do have one of those rolling trolley carts from IKEA in the closet ( because, there is no carpet in there) and I am just glancing at it thinking ( I Moved the bulk of my punches to a get rid of them pile for the most part this morning) and now I have one bin on that trolley empty. that would work as a "big drawer" maybe...
I have rolling drawers as well and, with the deeper ones, I layer shallow boxes as if they're trays. I store most-used supplies on the top, and rarely used tools and supplies on the bottom. The ink blending foams could be stored in a box on the upper level of a deep drawer, or in a shallow drawer if you have one.

Speaking of punches...ugh, they are so hard to store. Still trying to figure out convenient storage for them.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-06-2020, 09:57 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Stacy, I use ATC/sports cards plastic sleeves. They fold easily, or can be put in a binder. My EP's are all over the place Chickie, so I will pay close attention to the responses here.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 05:33 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am a sample nut so I have sampled all my EPs. They are in a big plastic box in mostly rainbow order with neutrals/specials at one end and they are stacked 3-4 high with cardboard dividers to keep them up.
Exceptions-I did the same thing we see bloggers doing with clear, white, gold, silver and black eps-they are in plastic sandwich boxes as the most used. I think I might also have my UTEE like that.
So

a) it is not the lightest box to be pulling down off a shelf.

b) I do still have to pull a few out.

But the 2 x 2 samples are easy for me to decide what I want/compare with other product I am using. I use the plastic pages and have them just on rings I hung on the back of the room door.

The foam pads...I do have them under the pads as much as possible. I started buying those drawer things McGuire got them to make-I stack them under my desk, No drawer. I imagine over time they wont be so pretty and white. (shrug) unless I let the foam dry first before putting it away. If I wanted to get OCD about it I guess I could cut copy paper into strips to line the rows but it would still hit the sides, etc. Plus my inky fingers.
https://www.organizemore.com/collect.../mini-ink-tray
I have a lot of large pads that I have not assigned foam to...it is very likely I would do the bunch in a jar or in a zip bag and just do closest color like Kazeka said. Or rinse them out...easy. What I used to do when I started out and didnt have 4 bazillion of them. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I wanted to add that many of my foam blending pads have a dark shade of a color on one half, and lighter on the other. That way my foam pads do double-duty. Most of my blenders are the original rectangular style, because that's all they had when I first started using them. I also have two round ink blender handles and about 10 round blending circles, and a handful of ink daubers. They are all stored the same way...open in a box. I use the blenders with every type of dye ink, not just Distress inks, so would have to store close to a hundred of them if I kept one blender per ink pad. That's why I don't even try. Oh, and then there are my Distress Oxide pads, which I just recently started buying...oh my.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

ooh I am only really using those foam circles with Oxide inks. for my regular distress I have stipple brushes and I do not wash them, the ends of the handles I wrote the color on them but, for the most part I can tell at a glance which one is which.
(and now that I have most the oxides I am finding the only old style distress pads I use on a regular basis anymore are antique linen and vintage photo)

found my package of page pocket protectors so, that is next on the agenda.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 11:33 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

in my other closet I found a long time ago you could get these I am not sure what they really were for but, they are metal drawers that were sold for office supplies ( like index cards?) and over the years I have bought a few of these at yard sales for a dollar or two. ( I had one divided smaller sized drawer one empty in the other closet where my baskets I use for displays when I do a card booth once a year hide) and so, a bunch of the embossing powders moved from the bulky leaks the powders handle storage box (home depot) to those drawers, and then all the ones from the basket went either into those drawers or the other drawers I mentioned the other day. so, now I only have 3 places to look for powders instead of 4 so that is something. :mrgreen:

I keep telling hubs I need a she shed.
( he has a barn and most of the downstairs of the garage)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Stacy, do you like all of your embossing powders enough that you might use them all? If yes, ignore this paragraph and the next one. If not necessarily, you put me in mind of reorganizing my containers/pouches/bins/totes a couple weeks ago. They were in four different places in the house, neatly stored. But gathered together they covered an entire dining room table and two chairs. :shock: 3/4s were donated to my favorite non-profit thrift shop. (It's closed but the owners let us bring a carload to drop off when they were there with no contact.)

When starting an organizing project I haul everything onto a table, sort it and purge. Sorting is just like with like: colors or categories (like containers or notebooks). The simple process is not my idea but is from a decluttering/organizing coach/on-line group and has helped hugely, plus the sorting has been fun. :shock: Look, 4 little aqua things!

Most embossing powder jars are upside down so colors are seen, in a shallow, clear box. White and clear are in Klip It containers a la Jennifer McGuire. White, clear and metallics are go-to’s almost always and samples would be fun but aren’t so needed and other to-do’s are higher on the list and there’s that PhD in procrastinating.

Foams! I had Tim Holtz mini cube tins that were no longer being used. So I pulled the plastic divided inserts out, stacked them in one tin, and put a foam in each section. I have several foams per color family, so light blues, darker blues, etc. It’s not a perfect system, a bit fiddly.

For Distress (not Oxides) at first I filled in the 60-color Ranger chart, laminated it and stick a tiny bit of velcro on each color. The pads stuck to the velcro but because there was so little, it was easy to pull them off. I might do that for Oxides but adhere the laminated chart to light/medium chipboard. (Switching to Distress mini cubes the foams were just stuck underneath each cube.)

I don’t like reaching into baggies or pockets to get foams, see “fiddly” above. Just personal taste, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla.

And here’s a video and downloadable pdf to make tiny “trays” to store foams underneath standard Distress pads, ink side up so they don’t get ink on fingers or on other pads if on top of each other. Some people might like that way.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-07-2020 at 05:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Bjeans,
Oh my goodness, why had I never thought to just store my EP jars upside down so I can quickly identify the color without having to label the tops? (slapping forehead). Thanks for the tip.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 07:30 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Ooop...I forgot about the finger daubers and the blending brushes! Oy. I have a box for the daubers one for dye inks and one for pigments. That was the original way I was blending. I had trouble with the rectangles and edges showing...now I would use those for detail stencil work I guess. Or maybe it is time to let those go...

Stipple brushes never liked me.

I have never been successful w putting color on top of anything-jars, inks, etc. The only place I have that is the sides of some ink pads. I prefer the samples. I can pull them out and play with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 08:06 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I have a box for finger daubers but, I do not use them often, I bought them for those old remember the pads with all the colors on one pad pigment inks? ( I used to smoosh the ink with the finger daubers through metal stencils then emboss with clear goop paste then cover with clear glitter) ( it actually looks cool when its dry, have not thought about that for years) but the finger daubers are in these round metal cans that had clear centers in the lids ( I think they were sold to alter to give baked treats in) or something so, those are in one of the drawers on the floor.

I am not sure what the containers I have are called off hand but, they seal and they came in packs of three boxes from bed bath & beyond I think for embossing powders so, I did find a few colors I have bought two or three jars of the same color and those went into the boxes.

I don't have that many jars in reality I bet they would fit inside one real sized drawer if I had them. and I do pitch them when they go bad. ( I had some jars from PSX that no longer stuck to the cardstock after it was melted)

after I did that I started making laminated cardstock dividers for all my stamps that are unmounted and in pockets in bins. ( this has been a few years long project) and I have been thinking on and off it would be great if I had hmph cupboards and I would totally put in drawers under them. but, the reality is I do not think it would work because the roof up here slants on the edges. so it has that its flat in the center of the room and then slopes down on the edges. and the spaces where there would be room for cupboards are in the slant. there are two 6' wide windows in the flat spots of the long sides of the room and the short side walls are all closets. ( so there are 6 duck in closets on the edges of the room) ( with wood paneling ala 1970 so, its like a cave too)

I really should campaign stronger for a she shed. ( with a room that I can walk wall to wall without ducking hahahaha)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Deflecto has a mobile craft organizing system that’s not drawers, but can be used like them. The caddies can be put on a rolling base and sections put on the table when in use. It can be built higher and has several sizes of sections. Scrapbook.com carries the various pieces and some stores have an already built unit. Michaels has a copycat.

Hedgehog Hollow explains it, and deflecto.com shows every piece.

More ideas for organizing with the Deflecto Caddy » Hedgehog Hollow

Just tossing out ideas in case they help you or others - apologies if they’re off track and not what fits.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Default Re: foam blending circle storage

I keep my circles in baggies. One labeled distress inks, one distress oxides, one distress paints and one archival. I use a foam for each color group so don’t have one for each color. I just rub on a moist paper towel and rub on dry to mix between tones in a color group. I keep the baggies in an origami 5 drawer storage tower on wheels, right next to my craft spot. Each baggie is labeled with ink type. It’s saved me lots of time and money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use empty spice jars to keep daubers, brads, and such in.
They come with their own holder and only cost less than $25. at ross or TJ Max. [ QUOTE=JBgreendawn;21960582]I have a box for finger daubers but, I do not use them often, I bought them for those old remember the pads with all the colors on one pad pigment inks? ( I used to smoosh the ink with the finger daubers through metal stencils then emboss with clear goop paste then cover with clear glitter) ( it actually looks cool when its dry, have not thought about that for years) but the finger daubers are in these round metal cans that had clear centers in the lids ( I think they were sold to alter to give baked treats in) or something so, those are in one of the drawers on the floor.

I am not sure what the containers I have are called off hand but, they seal and they came in packs of three boxes from bed bath & beyond I think for embossing powders so, I did find a few colors I have bought two or three jars of the same color and those went into the boxes.

I don't have that many jars in reality I bet they would fit inside one real sized drawer if I had them. and I do pitch them when they go bad. ( I had some jars from PSX that no longer stuck to the cardstock after it was melted)

after I did that I started making laminated cardstock dividers for all my stamps that are unmounted and in pockets in bins. ( this has been a few years long project) and I have been thinking on and off it would be great if I had hmph cupboards and I would totally put in drawers under them. but, the reality is I do not think it would work because the roof up here slants on the edges. so it has that its flat in the center of the room and then slopes down on the edges. and the spaces where there would be room for cupboards are in the slant. there are two 6' wide windows in the flat spots of the long sides of the room and the short side walls are all closets. ( so there are 6 duck in closets on the edges of the room) ( with wood paneling ala 1970 so, its like a cave too)

I really should campaign stronger for a she shed. ( with a room that I can walk wall to wall without ducking hahahaha)[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

I keep my embossing powders in labelled plastic food storage containers from IKEA along with the plastic spoon I use to sprinkle the powder on the project. The snap-on lids keep the powder from spilling and they stack nicely on a shelf. I tried to attach a photo, but I can't because it's not the right format, or some technical reason!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 10:04 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

For the foam circles, I put them in small little individual baggies (from the Dollar Store) labelled with the colour. I have a separate box for foam applicators.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Funny that this topic should come up as it's only this past week that I have come up with an idea to store and identify my round foam blenders. I grabbed some sturdy cardboard( I think you call it chipboard in America),and cut it to size. The one I have in my hand measures 10 and a half by 6 inches. I cut strips of sticky back velcro...the side with the hooks on...then laid each strip down the length of the cardboard with enough space between to write the color name beside the foam pad. I write that in pencil so it could be changed if I needed, there are 24 of the foams on the board but I guess you could easily adapt measurements to whatever number you need. I have a second one of these storeage cards, a bit smaller but it was just the size of offcut I had to hand They could have a hole punched and a keyring inserted and be hung or just put in a convenient place...aka...wherever there is space in a cluttered craft room. ..ahem...
I have a collection of Distress Oxides and Inks which have been well used but honesty pushes me to admit I have only just begun to blend with them the correct way and so my new skill encouraged me to find a way to have them easily accessible and the colors identifiable as I like to keep each one to it's allotted color. As to my EP's they are in a drawer , rarely used apart from the Clear as I can stamp any image in the color of choice then restamp with Versamark and then emboss with the Clear. I have made my own colors also by mixing in pigment powders but hardly bother with them. More space taken up with unused but "might be one day" craft items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 659 Likes on 442 Posts

I also stamp on a resin table in our guest bedroom. My main table is 6', but I also have a second resin table that I repurposed that is 4'. I bought these little wire mesh drawers at Staples years ago. There are two drawers in each set so I have 8 sets. They sit on the back of the table and I still have plenty of room to work. I think they would work on a 4' table as well. I have embossing powers in four drawers; stickles in two drawers; embellishments like sequins, and a bunch of other stuff in the various drawers. I find it really handy to have them right in front of me as I am working. Here's a pic of my messy work station (all those Copic pens are sitting there waiting to be cleaned) and a pick of two drawers with ep and stickles.

The box storage on the very top holds all my copic ink refillers. My hubby designed and made that for me. I just read that Copic is changing the size of their reinkers. Ugh. I guess he might have to go back to the drawing board. LOL.

I don't have a good solution for the pads. Right now I store them in baggies separated by Distress, DO, and Catherine Pooler but its really not ideal. Especially for the DOs because sometimes they rub off on each other. So, I am not recommending this method, Just sharing what I do right now. I have two plastic drawer units (6 drawers total) in the closet and I keep them in one of those drawers, Good luck.

Last edited by DebbieinOC; 06-09-2020 at 06:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 11:05 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

Glad you started this thread, Stacy. I have my e.p.'s stored in a shallow 3 drawer cardboard storage thing similar to this:

WHSmith Amaya Butterfly 3 Drawer Storage Unit | WHSmith

But it never occurred to me to store them upside down. I had them marked on the lids, but I have now turned them over and will see how it goes this way.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 04:36 PM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

I stamp on a plastic folding table set to counter height, so I do not have any drawers... ( I wish).
I also have a counter height table with no drawers. I bought a couple of IKEA Raskog rolling carts that fit nicely underneath the table to serve as my “drawers”. Michael’s also have very similar rolling carts that may be cheaper, especially if you use a discount coupon.

Quote:

I should have some page protectors that are those coin pocket sized and they would fit into my ink samples binder book pretty dang easily.
Yes, the 2”x2” coin pocket protector pages would be a perfect solution to storing the foam applicator pads; there are 20 pockets per page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-09-2020, 04:57 PM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Smile

Quote:

Okay, couple of pick your brains thoughts. for the most part I am pretty organized but, I have a couple of things that make me crazy that I have not found my "thing" for them yet, one of them is

embossing powders because, all the containers are different sizes and shapes. I did buy some little boxes with lids that can seal for the ones I use the most but, I have not moved any powder to them because, I would need some idea of how to corral the boxes after.

and my other one is, those little foam circles that adhere with a Velcro system to those Tim Holtz blender tools.

I did for a while try sticking them to Velcro to the bottoms of the pads but, I have my pads inside these cassette tape holders that are so tight I can barely get the pads in and out of some of the holes ( and yes, the index stickers are scratched or distressed on the edges because of that, so the having the foam under neath I really did not like that) so, I am looking for some kind of a container that would hold them somehow maybe.
Hi Stacy
To store my circle blending foam pads I laminated some acetate/plastic sheets and stuck strips of Velcro on one side of each sheet, just wide enough apart to hold the circles without them touching each other. It doesn't matter if the rows are horizontal or vertical. I have one sheet for each color family, because I run card making classes and I have more than one foam circle for each color. You could probably put a few colors on one sheet.

I hole punched the sheets and they sit in a lever arch folder on the shelf alongside my stamp folders, which are also stored on laminated plastic sheets (minus the velcro strips of course - lol). If you want to keep them in boxes, you could store the sheets on the top of each other.

I hope that helps to solve your storage problem.

Jean  :-)

Last edited by Aussie Jean; 06-09-2020 at 05:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 07:06 AM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

My blending foams I have stored in small gripseal bags labelled with the ink colour. I bought some self adhesive hanging tags so I could then put them on book binding rings. I then put those book binding rings on scarf hangers (the ones that come with a scarf when you buy them).
I have one for distress inks, one for memento inks and another for 'other' inks.
This is a similar idea to mine

My embossing powders are just in a single tub but my most used ones decanted into 1litre plastic tubs with a plastic spoon attached to the inside of the lid with a small command clip.

These are the tubs I use.

Last edited by Kathleen Mc; 06-10-2020 at 07:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 08:53 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I do pretty much what Susie Australia does with the little foam sponges for blending, only I use Coin Holders & label each for the colors- using my Brother Label Maker.

I do have a post here:
Organizing my Oxide Inks. by TLady at Splitcoaststampers

For the Embossing Powder:
Here is an idea that I have for glitter, but would work just as well for EP! ( I think I'll be using this idea now for my EP now too!)I have been collecting Spice Jars--- (Each has little plastic sifting pieces for each when pouring) I can usually find them at Walmart--- glass spice jars with metal tops with spices in them. I dump out the spices into a larger container, like you'd get a Sam's. (Example: Cinnamon, I have to have LOTS OF cinnamon on hand! My favorite spice!) The spices usually run $1 at Walmart. OR you can buy the jars on Amazon in bulk here:
https://www.amazon.com/Aozita-Glass-...s%2C240&sr=8-4

You can also find a NICE Spice Rack to store them in at Michaels Crafts.

I subscribe to their flyer, & you have to watch for it! It is a VERY REASONABLE PRICE when you can get it on SALE! It has taken me a LOOONG TIME to get one, as they were ALWAYS OUT when I would go to order-- $17.99! GOOD PRICE! To find one comparable they usually run $40 or more! Sometimes, they have them at Michael's, but you have to go in to the store to get them. I got lucky when they had them for sale on the web during the pandemic! Still have yet to hang it & even to collect all of the glitter & jars! LOL But I also use my Brother Label Maker for labeling the jars too!

*** This rack is HUGE & will hold 36 Spice Jars! And I was worried about filling it up with glitter! LOL BUT, adding my EP to it will help! ***

HOPE THIS IDEA HELPS!!! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 02:50 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I put my foams underneath the small distress ink. They fit pretty tight and none have fallen out as yet.

For the large distress and oxides I just take some snail and run it on the bottom of the ink pad. The foams easily stick on there then, if they don't stick that well after a time, I just do it again.

My EP's are stored in a small fabric box I found at a thrift store. Thanks a bunch for suggesting to turn them upside down to see the colors!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 06:21 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Really? I've never had EP go bad...hmmm, I'm going to have to check some of my older stuff. Huh, you mean I have to PLAY with my EP, ALL of it tonight? Dang, I hate when that happens and the dinner dishes aren't done yet! (snicker)

I do think you deserve a she shed! I'd go for at least the square footage of 3/4 of the garage, given hubs has that AND another place to play <G>.

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-10-2020, 06:28 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DebbieinOCView Post
Here's a pic of my messy work station (all those Copic pens are sitting there waiting to be cleaned) and a pick of two drawers with ep and stickles.
::looks around, looks back at your desk:: You call THAT messy? Oh my, Debbie, clearly you either don't have enough stuff, or you are obsessively neat!

Joni, teasing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 05:13 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

Last thought on embossing powders. While storing mine upside down does the trick, if you have a lot or have colors that look quite different when heated versus dry, the top can be removed, covered with Versamark, powder sprinkled on it and heat embossed.

Just don’t burn yourself or heat it too long or too close. The lid can be held with pliers or tweezers, etc. I don’t remember where I first saw this tip, but then today a video landed in my youtube feed by... have to find it ... Ingrid Blackburn, who has gazillions of embossing powders and does this - especially since she has a colors very close to each other, like reds and blacks.

Or most powders still can be stored upside down but the ones that need a sample or are similar colors could be right side up with the lids embossed. I’ll do one today.

Last edited by bjeans; 06-11-2020 at 05:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

I heat embossed the lids and it worked well on plastic and metal. A couple clear tops didn’t have white liners, so I punched a white circle out of CS and stuck it on the inner side of the top in order to see the color better. A little brush or a microfiber towel was used to clean off the sides of the lids if necessary.

Since it was so easy, hypnotic and non-creative I kept going. I re-discovered a color that made me swoon and found a few color duplicates (same colors different brands) I can donate. And it was fun moving the jars around in various color combos, like playing with blocks.

My Sparkle Sweeper brush showed up. I bought it when the owner of an LSS taught me to heat emboss and it works well but I forgot about it. And I knocked over a jar of powder because it’s me.

So thank you, Stacy, for bringing this topic up!

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 06-12-2020 at 01:23 AM.. Reason: Adding photo added tons of extra lines
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 PM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also saw Ingrid's video and found the idea intriguing. Thanks for confirming it's not difficult to do. I don't emboss much any more except with clear and white or sometimes black, so it would be a great way to force me to go through all my EPs (some of which are way old).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2020, 04:12 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris4436
View Post

I also saw Ingrid's video and found the idea intriguing. Thanks for confirming it's not difficult to do. I don't emboss much any more except with clear and white or sometimes black, so it would be a great way to force me to go through all my EPs (some of which are way old).

Reverse tweezers made it simple. Ingrid said she poured powder onto the lids rather than pressing lids into it. Trying it both ways I didn’t see any difference. Funny the video popped into my youtube feed; I hadn’t heard of her!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawn
View Post

and
my other one is, those little foam circles that adhere with a Velcro system to those Tim Holtz blender tools.

I placed all my powers in labeled sealed containers from Mednards and then cached them in one of the Really Useful Boxes and had room for coffee filters, versamark pens, heat tool and a spoon. The box holds two layers of the containers three across and 4 the other way if that is any help...I keep it in one of the bins on one of my rolling carts and easy peasy to pull out, use and put away.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have all my embossing powders in basically the jars they came in. I emboss a dot of it on both white and black cardstock and glue it to the lid along with the name. I bought 3 picture frames (8" x 10") that are basically plastic boxes without lids when the cardboard inserts are removed. These stack inside one of the drawers I have, but since you don't have drawers, you could find an appropriate box to put them in and store them on a shelf or table top. My dream is to make it to a Container store and buy all the same size jars, as that would make my OCD happy. Behind the stacked containers, I keep the larger jars of UTEE, so all embossing powders are together.

Blending tools and the foam or felt pieces are in a clam shell box in a drawer with all my other applicators (sponges, brayers, brushes, etc.), as I don't use them all that much. I really am a sponge person and am now into the makeup brushes.
Attached Thumbnails
Foam blending circles &amp; Embossing powders-embossing-powder-storage.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2020, 05:11 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

I used to do that with wood mounted stamps a long time ago the clear shadow box frames were the right depth for that. that is cool that you can see all the way around the jars when you pick the tray up.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Still organizing my dd old bedroom, now called mom's craft room. I still can't find supplies i need when making cards. I keep moving them from the rolling IKA cart to containers or baskets on the book case to the iris cart drawers. That's were I put my embossing powder and glitter in the small iris cart drawers.

Believe it or not, I use old folgers coffee plastic containers to hold my dubbers, sponges, and the round TH sponges. Oh and I have a container also for my scissors.
What can I say, still can't find them when I need them. I think I spend more time looking for supplies than making a card, Seriously!
You may laugh at me, it's ok, I can handle it. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2020, 06:42 AM   #40  
SCS RAK Coordinator Alumna

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLady

I do pretty much what Susie Australia does with the little foam sponges for blending, only I use Coin Holders & label each for the colors- using my Brother Label Maker.

Coin holders- brilliant idea. Thank you for sharing this.

BRAK Volunteer The Birthday RAK is always accepting new members- check it out!

Last edited by mycatstamps2; 06-21-2020 at 06:43 AM.. Reason: editing text
Reply With Quote Likes