Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-24-2020, 10:18 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need ideas on storing unmounted stamp sets

Ideally I would like storage to go, so when I go on my weekends i can take them and be able to see the names of the stamp sets.

Thank you for all your tips
Attached Thumbnails
need ideas on storing unmounted stamp sets-stamp-sets.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 06:38 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I had to finally realize that the dvd-type cases waste a tremendous amount of room. I have moved those to the plastic envelope type of storage. It reduces the space by about 3 times (or more).

I'm sure that you like the cases, however, so if you only go for weekends, you might consider taking a limited number of sets. This may require some pre-planning to some extent so that you also take the inks and paper that would work with the sets you choose.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 04:58 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

If you do take the stamps out of the cases...I would keep some for travel.
I am thinking on this too-raw rubber storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-26-2020, 06:19 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I have my stamps in 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders in page protectors that I sewed dividers in to make pockets - some are in quarters and some in half, with laminated cardstock cut to fit. I had them like this, decided to try a "flipper" version (as opposed to "leafer") and put them in pockets in bins like everyone else on the planet seems to, but I found it annoying and went back to the binders. Plus side: a small binder is easy to grab and flip through when traveling, so no need to re-gear. I repurposed some of my DVD cases to hold dies. The cases also work well for rulers, markers, small scissors, etc., when traveling.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2020, 09:10 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I have mine on Crafters Companion EZ Mount Panels, I cut them down and store them in Avery Elle storage pockets. Most of mine were old wood mounted stamps that are hard for me to use (bad hands). I stamp them onto a piece of copy paper and store that with the stamps 

Last edited by dancingpurplecat; 05-27-2020 at 09:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2020, 02:04 PM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

I still prefer the the plastic DVD cases...so much so that I purchased many more that are similar to Stampin' Up for all my rubber and photo-polymer sets. I also found adhesive backed magnetic sheets that fit the inside cover of the case so I can now store the matching dies with the stamps. No more fumbling around trying to find the dies that match the stamp sets. And I used the little round disks from The Happy Planner system to make mini-catalogs of all my stamp and die sets. Now if I want "Babies and Kids" or "Birthday" I can go to the appropriate catalog. And as another step in my OCD-ness, all of my cases have a small colored dot on the bottom: red for Christmas, green for trees and plants, pink for flowers, etc. Makes putting them back on the shelf in the correct place much easier. It was a lot of work but since starting this system, clean up goes so fast! It was all done over the winter on days I needed to be busy but lacked creativity.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2020, 11:13 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I use currency/trading card/postcard storage pocket sheets in Lever arch binders for unmounted rubber. They're available in lots of different sizes in A4 format, so not found a stamp yet that won't fit. Search Amazon for Currency/etc storage .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Shaz-they dont fall out of the pockets if you tilt the binder?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-02-2020, 04:03 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't find that, as they are not 'baggy' holders. Then again, I store them upright, and tend to lay them flat on a desk when I'm getting something out, so it would be possible I suppose. But I have some really small stamps, in the coin holders, and not lost one yet.

Sorry for the size, can't seem to resize them, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 02:54 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

For my cling mounted stamps, I either laminate the printed index sheet that comes with the stamps or I stamp them out onto an a5 (uk) sheet of card and laminate that. Then I store the stamps and laminated card with them clung to it in grip seal bags (6"x9"). I round all the corners of the card and the laminate to stop them snagging the bags. I then label the bags with what is inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-03-2020, 07:39 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

My unmounted stamps are stored in plastic cases from Daiso by category. They aren't lucky enough to be in little separate areas but they sure take up less space than when they were on wood blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 06:12 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am so happy we are having this chat as I too *really need* to figure out something.

I am loving the way that looks Shaz and big pictures are great for these eyes ....I just dont have room for more binders..

It looks like the indexes are opposing on single sheet...what if you get rid of a stamp and replace it? You xerox a new sheet right with the new image? I was thinking I would put the indexes in with the stamps....

I forgot to ask the pocket folks like Sue and Shaz..., they don't get stuck inside the pockets, esp when it gets warm/humid?

I was thinking about CS laminated sheets they could stick to with an index sheet in a sheet protector and then a bunch of those can go in a box...I have so many now I unmounted from wood and a lot of them are larger....I cant envision which way would hold more-I need volume storage. Right now it is NOT feeling like I will gain that much space for having unmounted so much wood. :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am so happy we are having this chat as I too *really need* to figure out something.
I am loving the way that looks Shaz and big pictures are great for these eyes ....I just dont have room for more binders..
It looks like the indexes are opposing on single sheet...what if you get rid of a stamp and replace it? You xerox a new sheet right with the new image? I was thinking I would put the indexes in with the stamps....
I forgot to ask the pocket folks like Sue and Shaz..., they don't get stuck inside the pockets, esp when it gets warm/humid?
I was thinking about CS laminated sheets they could stick to with an index sheet in a sheet protector and then a bunch of those can go in a box...I have so many now I unmounted from wood and a lot of them are larger....I cant envision which way would hold more-I need volume storage. Right now it is NOT feeling like I will gain that much space for having unmounted so much wood. :(
All of the stamps are on on laminated cardstock cut to size to fit in the pockets, with the corners rounded. When I laminate the cardstock I do a half-sheet and feed that end in first to prevent catching in the rollers and getting scrunched (had to take the laminator apart several times to clear a "pouch jam" before I got smarter, lol). This results in having half a sheet of laminated cardstock and half a sheet just sealed to itself, and remaining clear I then cut both to size and use the clear as covers over the stamps, so they sill slide easily into and out of the pockets and not stick to them. I have two sizes, as I have sewn the page protectors so that some have two pockets (4" x 5 1/2") and some have four pockets (2 5/8" x 4"). Very rarely I need the full 5 1/2" x 8 1/2", so there are a handful of those for larger stamps (Lorrena from Prima/Julie Nutting, a Lavinia house, a flowery flourish from Unity). I have put the same protectors upright in bins like others do, and it was a passable system, but I am pretty much a leafer rather than a flipper, as bjeans puts it. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

That is sounding like more work than I want to do-sticking the stamp to a base is one extra step...having to protect it is another. How come you dont just cut grafix or acetate since it is red rubber and not clear and do the clear laminate?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
That is sounding like more work than I want to do-sticking the stamp to a base is one extra step...having to protect it is another. How come you dont just cut grafix or acetate since it is red rubber and not clear and do the clear laminate?
I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by an extra step. I use laminated cardstock instead of Grafix, and the clear laminate is just so the stamps don't stick to the pockets and are easier to slide into and out of them. I don't have the stamps "sticking to a base" in the sense of using them that way, if that's what you were thinking. I already have reams of cardstock and lots of pouches, so it just made sense for me to use them instead of buying Grafix or Duralar to make carrier sheets to store the stamps. I've found that even rubber can "grab" the pockets and make it harder to remove them, so I just cover everything with clear to be safe. Maybe overkill, but I get cranky if I have to wrestle with the stamps in order to use them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-08-2020, 05:20 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

right, so I have started using some laminated sheet ( the laminated went through the machine with no cardstock between it) inside the pockets with clear stamps so they do not stick to the insides of the pockets ( because, its more cost effective than buying boxes of Grafix)

I have a lot of stamps and I do not take mine out "on the go" unless it's just a set or two but, I did save some of the dvd cases and iris project cases so, I do have some hard translucent boxes I could use to keep things from falling out if I did say haul them to work or something lend them type of a thing.

but, what I have found is I am entirely more likely to stamp something I want to color and just haul the stamped image to work to color in the hurry up and wait phases.

I am more likely to haul dies to work so, those I just put inside my tote bag that has my wallet and everything else in it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 08:10 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51
View Post

I had to finally realize that the dvd-type cases waste a tremendous amount of room. I have moved those to the plastic envelope type of storage. It reduces the space by about 3 times (or more).

I'm sure that you like the cases, however, so if you only go for weekends, you might consider taking a limited number of sets. This may require some pre-planning to some extent so that you also take the inks and paper that would work with the sets you choose.

Hi Diane,

Can you share a picture of your plastic envelope type storage you have? I would love to see it see it and hopefully move out of the cd case storage system I have. Thank you in advance for your help with this I really need to downsize and get a better system going. I am one of those types of stampers that doesn't like to break sets up and I am tired of of the cd cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2020, 11:41 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I don't have a pic of my pouches (or pockets) but I'll share this picture from Jennifer McGuire...

I purchased my pouches bulk (in packs of 200) and they are like these. The size is about 5-3/8 by 7-5/8 and I cut a smaller sheet of laminated cardstock to fit inside. My stamps are mounted on that sheet. Jennifer just puts her sets in the envelopes as-is, with the index sheet, etc.

Well, the picture didn't add as it should.  Go to this webpage and look at her pictures...
https://www.jennifermcguireink.com/2016/06/pockets.html
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 06-23-2020 at 11:42 AM.. Reason: picture didn't insert as desired.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2020, 03:49 PM   #19  
Crimping Master

Thank you so much Diane, I truly appreciate it. I really am getting tired of the cd cases and the bulk. Now onward and upward.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2020, 04:53 PM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

My stamps are stored in clear storage pouches (like an envelope that opens at the top) I have 3 sizes to fit various stamp collections. The sizes are 5 1/8 X 5; 5 3/4 x 7 1/2; and 6 3/4 x 9 3/8. I usually keep the non stampin'up stamps on their acetate sheet, place a white sheet of paper which fits the pouch behind them so they are easily viewable. I also use these for my dies which are on a magnetic sheet and placed in the pouch. All of these afore mentioned are stored in refrigerator storage containers which are 4 x 14 or variations of that. My stampin' up stamps are mounted on the inside front of the case they come in, matching die sets are placed on magnetic sheets and placed inside the back side of the original case. All the plastic stampin up cases are then stored alphabetically in 8 3/4 x 6 1/2 plastic containers. Primarily this is for active stamps and the sets that are no longer active or I rarely use are in bookcases, label out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2020, 07:01 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post

I have mine on Crafters Companion EZ Mount Panels, I cut them down and store them in Avery Elle storage pockets. Most of mine were old wood mounted stamps that are hard for me to use (bad hands). I stamp them onto a piece of copy paper and store that with the stamps 
I do the same thing. I still have some wood mount stamps that need to transferred to full size binders or storage pockets which I'll work on soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2020, 08:32 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post

Hi dancingpurplecat,

I love the stamps in the picture you shared.  Who manufactures them and where did you get the?  I've been collecting under the sea stamps and these are a perfect addition.

Thanks and best,
Doreen 

Reply With Quote Likes