Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-14-2020, 09:31 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Do you make interactive cards?

It seems like interactive cards are all the rage right now on blogs and manufacturer websites. There are so many different dies for interactive card designs and they are everywhere you look.

I'm wondering if any of you actually make them? The most "interactive" I've gone is a shaker card, and that was only twice. Although I've tried a fancy fold or two, the interactive cards seem like something that would give me lot of headaches. I don't want to spend a lot of money on special dies that might only be used a couple of times. The idea of measuring and trying to engineer a card without the special dies makes me break out in hives!

So do you like making interactive cards? Do you make them, or do you just admire the ones that others make? Do you buy the special interactive card dies? Just wondering.

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 01:40 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Yes, I like making Interactive cards. But I think you'd need to make a LOT of them to justify the dies. Ones I've currently seen trending like the viewmaster style, the camera iris, the hidden message slider... I'm not going to make more than a couple of those a year and I can do that without dies. About the only one I can't imagine cutting myself, although I have directions in one of my books, is that one where you slide it to reveal a different picture ...it's several vertical strips, I can't think what it's called other than possibly picture change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 02:16 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Yes, I like making Interactive cards. But I think you'd need to make a LOT of them to justify the dies. Ones I've currently seen trending like the viewmaster style, the camera iris, the hidden message slider... I'm not going to make more than a couple of those a year and I can do that without dies. About the only one I can't imagine cutting myself, although I have directions in one of my books, is that one where you slide it to reveal a different picture ...it's several vertical strips, I can't think what it's called other than possibly picture change.
Yes, by the time you buy the dies, stamps and coordinating elements, you would have to make at least 20 of them to justify the cost. I do have one by Spellbinders that makes a swivel design, but I won that in a giveaway. I thought the die would cut and emboss the little swivel card that sits inside the main base but it requires cutting out 4 panels and adhering them all...then attaching it all to the main card. It's almost as much work as measuring and cutting it out myself.

My very first fancy fold card was a flip card, and I followed detailed instructions to make it. However, I ended up decorating the wrong side of the flip panel so that it's backwards! That wasn't encouraging at all, haha!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love interactive cards, at least the idea of interactive cards.😁 I do have the dies to make flip cards and have done them in spurts over the years. If I do make another style of interactive card, it’s usually once, and only for someone special, special.
I send out quite a few cards and prefer not to spend too much time on any one card. Most of my cards would fit in the “avid crafter” category. The frustration of some interactive cards would take the fun out of card making, imho.
Fun thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 09:57 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Is that the twisted pop-up card, Karen? They're fun, I've been wanting to make one again.

I know some people are allergic to cutting and measuring, so I can understand the appeal of dies for them. It doesn't bother me, except that it can be hard to find metric measurements. I often have to figure them out myself if I feature a fold in the TLC, to provide them for the non-USA part of the community. And personally I prefer a written tutorial but nowadays it can be hard to find anything other than videos.

But honestly, something like this is so easy (Hidden Message Slider Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers) that I can't fathom buying a die for it. In older tutorials I have to admit I sometimes do struggle to work out where the cuts and scores are, due to the style of cutter used .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 11:25 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Is that the twisted pop-up card, Karen? They're fun, I've been wanting to make one again.

I know some people are allergic to cutting and measuring, so I can understand the appeal of dies for them. It doesn't bother me, except that it can be hard to find metric measurements. I often have to figure them out myself if I feature a fold in the TLC, to provide them for the non-USA part of the community. And personally I prefer a written tutorial but nowadays it can be hard to find anything other than videos.

But honestly, something like this is so easy (Hidden Message Slider Tutorial - Splitcoaststampers) that I can't fathom buying a die for it. In older tutorials I have to admit I sometimes do struggle to work out where the cuts and scores are, due to the style of cutter used .
The die set that I have is the Becca Feeken Swivel and Sashay die by Spellbinders. I believe it's basically a twist and pop card, but with a smaller twist base than some tutorials I've seen. I have the pieces cut out but haven't actually tried putting it together yet so we'll see how I like it.

I like a combination of written and video tutorials (or diagrams), just to make sure I'm doing it right. Of course, I can tell when I'm not on the right road as it's being put together but some written tutorials are rather vague and not enough for me. I don't mind the measuring and cutting so much, it's the visualizing each step that sometimes confuses me.

That being said, I recently began following fancy-fold instructions on Mrs. A's Butterfly Spot challenge blog and her tutorials are just wondering. She doesn't do interactive, so much as fancy folds. I'll check out the hidden slider card tutorial that you linked to and see if that's something for me to try. As I said though, my previous attempts at even shaker cards and flip cards have been dismal.

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 11:27 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Sabrina,
That hidden slider tutorial is exactly the type that appeals to me, with the step by step written instructions, accompanied by photos! Maybe I'll start with this and see how I like it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 05:40 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Karen Burniston has many interactive dies. They are mostly generic making them quite economically. She provides very easy to follow videos for each of her dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm fairly allergic to interactive cards, but I did buy the picture-changing card dies and add-ons. I have yet to do anything with them, but I'm glad they are in my stash. If/when my mojo returns, I'll break them out and make something, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 08:38 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I do a lot of interactive cards for our grandchildren. I don't purchase the die sets though because once you have done one style of that particular style where else would I use that die set! I usually just watch a video tutorial on YouTube and "wing" it. So far I haven't had any total failures. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:34 AM   #11  
Glitter Queen

Default Interactive cards

I love interactive cards but don't usually buy special dies to make them. I like to watch a YouTube video and figure it out using the tools I have. I have a good friend, who is a fellow stamper and she and I always share YouTube videos of different cards with each other. I love the challenge. Been stamping for over 25 years so always looking for something I haven't seen before.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I haven't made a interactive card because I see it just frustrating me. I do however have a pop-up die set that I got on clearance at Michael's. I haven't used it yet, but I might. I have to admit, I'm a little scared to try them. Afraid I'll glue the card closed or some such thing. It's on my to do list, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2020, 10:00 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I like making interactive cards but I am SO slow at it. I also like light up cards and now that I found Pear Blossom Press E-Z Lights, I will be making more of them. I found the other brand more complicated, but these are a breeze.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
It seems like interactive cards are all the rage right now on blogs and manufacturer websites. There are so many different dies for interactive card designs and they are everywhere you look.

I'm wondering if any of you actually make them? The most "interactive" I've gone is a shaker card, and that was only twice. Although I've tried a fancy fold or two, the interactive cards seem like something that would give me lot of headaches. I don't want to spend a lot of money on special dies that might only be used a couple of times. The idea of measuring and trying to engineer a card without the special dies makes me break out in hives!

So do you like making interactive cards? Do you make them, or do you just admire the ones that others make? Do you buy the special interactive card dies? Just wondering.

Karen
I love making interactive cards! Sometimes I’m tempted to buy a die but so far have resisted except for a set of Mama Elephant pop up dies that were super low cost so I added those to an order. That being said, I don’t make as many cards as I used to, so I have time to make the interactive ones. If something looks complicated, I try it on scrap paper first to hopefully avoid mistakes! I really enjoy fancy folds, too, so appreciate some of the suggestions for tutorials in this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 09:42 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComradeBunnyView Post
I haven't made a interactive card because I see it just frustrating me. I do however have a pop-up die set that I got on clearance at Michael's. I haven't used it yet, but I might. I have to admit, I'm a little scared to try them. Afraid I'll glue the card closed or some such thing. It's on my to do list, though.
Haha, you sound like me. I have two interactive dies (one swivel and pop, and one simple pop-up) but haven't used either of them to actually make a card yet. I've got all the pieces cut out for the swivel and pop card but need to set aside a day to put it together. The die doesn't have very good instructions on the packaging. So that means I need to find a video of how to put it together. That extra step is one thing that's stopping me.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love the idea of interactive cards! I don’t make many because of the time involved. I did make one yesterday to send to my Dad. I believe it’s called the wiper card. It was so fun, and actually quite easy, to make. I think I’ll be making more. ( I need to stretch my brain! 😉😜 These cards don’t that!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

I LOVE interactive cards, it's what I make now. I find making cards that don't 'do' anything boring. And yes, I buy many of the dies on the market. I'm lazy. I can't do math, so having someone else work it all out for me is awesome, and I still get the credit for the amazing end result.

Whenever I make a plain card now, I show my family, and they're like 'but what does it do?' Something always has to move, shake, spin or pop up on mine. I don't make a lot of cards now, so when I do I want it to wow. And it means I get to spend the time to plan and put it together.

I have a whole list of interactive cards to try, some without dies, and some with. If I made one kind a month, I'd probably have at least 3 years worth of options at least.

I particularly love Lawn Fawn and Karen Burniston for their interactive dies. They take all the guesswork out of it, and the end results are always amazing. Now whenever I give a card, people always look out for the magic of what it can do, and it makes me happy that they can get a bit more fun out of it other than just admiring it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 08:32 AM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I do, I am lazy and have interactive dies, LF iris die, slider dies and Sunny Studio sliding window die. I make a lot of box cards and eventually will buy the die. I make them for children, they love the interactive cards. Dies are easier, and I am a visual learner, so there is usually a link to a how to video.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 10:59 AM   #19  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I don't make a lot of interactive cards but when I do, I love the tutorials here on SCS. The fun for me is in following the tutorial, measuring, cutting, etc. so I don't buy the dies. We have 4 sponsor kids and I like to send interactive cards to them since they get so impressed with them! Since they take more effort, it's nice to get such an excited reaction!
Reply With Quote Likes