Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-02-2020, 08:52 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Do you make and send a lot of Thank You cards?

I see a lot of bloggers who mention always needing thank you cards for their stash, and they seem to make a lot of them. I also make a lot of thank you cards, but almost never send any. That got me thinking about when people actually give or send thank you cards. Am I in the minority for not needing many at all? I've got whole stamps sets (at least 6) that are ONLY Thank You sentiments, but barely use those sentiments. When my son was in the hospital for a week, I made thank you cards for the nursing staff, and also made little thank you toppers for a plate of brownies that I left for them (this was pre-COVID by the way..when something like homemade brownies were safe..if not healthy...to eat!). The rest of the year I send no more than three or so.

I understand that I could always hand them out to my mail carrier, store clerks, and so many who are stepping up during this COVID crisis, but I'm not necessarily asking for ideas on who to thank. I'm just wondering what others do with theirs.

Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 05:13 AM   #2  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

i send quite a few thank you cards, for gifts, nice gestures, teacher appreciation. Even if people are not expecting a card it is nice to get mail so I will keep up with it.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I work for a property management company and when I call one of our sub contractors to work for me, they refuse to charge me! Tree trimming, plumbing or A/C repairs! I send thank you cards and often food gift cards, because if I sent a check they would not cash it. But they all like Cracker Barrel !!
I always send Thank You cards for gifts even if I thanked the giver in person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I work for a property management company and when I call one of our sub contractors to work for me, they refuse to charge me! Tree trimming, plumbing or A/C repairs! I send thank you cards and often food gift cards, because if I sent a check they would not cash it. But they all like Cracker Barrel !!
I always send Thank You cards for gifts even if I thanked the giver in person.
What a wonderful way to thank someone who won't take money for something..a gift card to a place they like! My daughter's neighbor often helps her out in small and large ways, and will never take payment. So my daughter gives her grocery store gift certificates to her favorite store...and tells her to "buy something for her kids".

I also always send a thank you note for any gift that I receive, even if I've thanked in person. However, my family has stopped giving gifts and my local friends and I don't give gifts to each other either. So that's probably one reason these thank you cards have been piling up the past several years.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 11:00 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I do send a lot of thank you's. When making a batch of 6-8 cards, say birthday cards, several of them are easily converted into thank you. Even the hand written thank you note does not have to be wordy, like a letter, but an expression of how much you appreciate them. Because so much of "thank you" is done verbally these days-my people really appreciate the hand written short note. It costs me a stamp, woop-de-do, and yet can mean the world to the recipient that you took the time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I don’t have need for many on a regular basis. I find that I use “thinking of you” the most because they can be used for any occasion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I send just a couple thank you cards a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I almost never need - or send - any. I'm very much a homebody, DH and I do pretty much everything we need to have done, and there's no one that we get gifts from or anything else. Lest you think we're anti-social or that our lives are pathetisad, do not fear - we just have a VERY small social circle (by choice) and we enjoy each others' company rather than gifts and such. If my sister sends me something (which she does at random times), then of course I'll send her a thank you. I still make thank you cards from time to time, though...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 08:51 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I almost never need - or send - any. I'm very much a homebody, DH and I do pretty much everything we need to have done, and there's no one that we get gifts from or anything else. Lest you think we're anti-social or that our lives are pathetisad, do not fear - we just have a VERY small social circle (by choice) and we enjoy each others' company rather than gifts and such. If my sister sends me something (which she does at random times), then of course I'll send her a thank you. I still make thank you cards from time to time, though...
You sound exactly like me (and my DH). I do get gifts from my daughter and her family, and from son and his..but that only requires 2 thank you cards each per year. That leaves...hmmmm...about 55 thank you cards still in my stash! You would think I'd stop making thank you cards but then what would I do with all those Thank You sentiments?!! Ahhh...life is so complicated, ha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions from everyone. I'm thinking that I may just start sending thank you cards and notes to replace my usual Thinking of You cards. I already send cards for every possible holiday to family and friends, but I can add to that a "Thank you for being there for me etc" card each year as well. Of course, they may start avoiding their mailbox because I already send them a LOT of cards! As a card-maker, I love handmade cards in the mail. However, some of my family members don't like "clutter" and toss the card as soon as it's read. That's why I usually send to my elderly relatives..they love getting real mail.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 09:06 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions from everyone. I'm thinking that I may just start sending thank you cards and notes to replace my usual Thinking of You cards. I already send cards for every possible holiday to family and friends, but I can add to that a "Thank you for being there for me etc" card each year as well. Of course, they may start avoiding their mailbox because I already send them a LOT of cards! As a card-maker, I love handmade cards in the mail. However, some of my family members don't like "clutter" and toss the card as soon as it's read. That's why I usually send to my elderly relatives..they love getting real mail.
Karen
LOL! I doubt most of the recipients avoid their mailbox so as not to get your lovely handmade cards!! I send out quite a few too and the responses from the vast major are, “you made my day”, “it arrived at the perfect time”, and “thank you so much, you shouldn’t have”.
I too do not have many occasions for sending thank you cards. Our families stopped exchanging gifts years ago and we don’t exchange gifts with our small group of friends either. Spending time with each other is more important.
Interesting thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 11:45 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I occasionally sent thank you cards similar to thinking of you cards. The sentiment on the front might say thank you, and inside the continuation would be thank you for being you, or thanks for caring about the wildlife, or thank you for helping so many people, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 02:01 AM   #13  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sad to say not many people; especially the young ones just don't send out thank you cards. Seems like it's more on facebook, texting, etc. I have given gifts for baby showers, weddings, etc. and did not receive one thank you card.
I make a lot of Thank You cards and I Always carry a few in my purse just in case I may need a card for one reason or another.
Not often, but when me and my husband go out to eat, guess what the waitress tip money goes into? If you guessed a Thank you card, you are correct.
When our truck needs to be serviced our mechanic gets a Thank you card showing our appreciation.
My daughter took me out for breakfast for Mother's Day at my favorite eating establishment; made and sent her a Thank You card.
Cashier @ the grocery store receives a card sometimes.
Everyone who came to celebrate our 50th anniversary last year, all where sent a thank you card for coming ^ sharing that special day with us.
The person who cuts my hair gets a card to go with her tip.
I could go on and on of the people that would appreciate a nice thank you card; especially when you receive a gift from someone
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 04:17 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Thank You cards whenever something kind is done for me. Whether it's a B.D gift, or Christmas Gift, or Just Because! Sending Thank You Cards doesn't have to be just when you receive a gift either, it's WHENEVER a thoughtful jester is done. It is a way of showing appreciation, of validating that you noticed a kind act being done. It is a way of encouragement if you think about it. We ALL need encouragement! AND it's NICE to be appreciated! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 04:20 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Karen
When making cards, there is the "Trash Factor!" If you know they're throwing out your cards, but you want to send them, just don't spend much time on them! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 04:53 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I occasionally sent thank you cards similar to thinking of you cards. The sentiment on the front might say thank you, and inside the continuation would be thank you for being you, or thanks for caring about the wildlife, or thank you for helping so many people, etc.
This is an excellent idea: outside of card as Thank You but the inside can be for exactly as stated: for being you...for just listening... for letting me vent... for being my friend... etc. I know in the past I may have done that once or twice, but now I think I need to do it more often.

Thank you for mentioning it !
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 04:58 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

I sent a thank you card to our veterinarian and staff. The die cut on the front says “grateful” instead of thank you. Inside I thanked them for the loving care they gave Thaddeus during a surgery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 06:52 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I send a lot of thank you cards---for gifts throughout the year, of course, but also for kind acts. A while back, our trash man (who picks up the rash with "arms" attached to the truck), got and picked up trash that blew out before it made it to the opening in the truck. It wasn't even our trash, but I thought that was amazing, so he got a card the next week. Our neighbors give us some tomatoes or zucchini from their garden and even though we say thanks in person, they get a card. A friend sends a couple truly meaningful emails that brightens my day, she gets a card. A receptionist that goes out of her way to be extra kind, the waiter who makes the time to visit for a minute and lately, the many people who are delivering food, groceries and products to our house all get a special thank you cards. I know some cards get thrown away after opening, but I make cards because the process brings me joy, so once it leaves my hands, I forget about it. Often, however, I will be told how much the card meant to the person and that is the extra jolt of joy. (My husband often teases me by saying are you going to send a thank you card for the thank you card?) Any by the way, if you regularly send cards to people that you think just throw them away or don't like the clutter of such things, any personal writing can be done on an extra piece of note paper an folded inside, leaving the recipient the ability to send it on to someone else to give you cards a second life bringing happiness to another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #19  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have much reason to send Thank You cards. I do make a lot of "Just Because" cards though, along with the normal holiday and birthday cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 08:11 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

After reading this thread I may start making more thank you cards and sending them for less-than-obvious reasons, as many of you have listed here. I have hesitated to join challenges for some time for lack of a place to send the cards, but if I make a bunch of thank you cards with the challenges in mind, that's a double benefit! Thanks, everyone who has given me many more reasons to be grateful (and show it)!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 08:55 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

I too have a stash of Thank you cards that I don't send very often. As I was reading this I'm wondering if I might just try stamping everything but the greeting on the card and then add that when I need a particular type of card. Does anyone have success with this method?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain StamperView Post
I too have a stash of Thank you cards that I don't send very often. As I was reading this I'm wondering if I might just try stamping everything but the greeting on the card and then add that when I need a particular type of card. Does anyone have success with this method?
I do this a lot! MOST of the time, I just like to create cards & don't want to put a sentiment on the front. ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A little spinoff - I make sets of thank you cards and give them as an accompaniment to baby shower gifts. It is so much fun to make 20 little baby dresses or giraffe and teddy bear cards. Who knows? The recipient just might write thank you cards - at least to me.
General thank you cards can be also "just because." Thanks for the great visit last week, thanks for helping my son, thanks for being a good friend. I make a lot of cards with no message, and then do what Mountain Stamper was wondering about. I add the message as needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 11:37 AM   #24  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

We send a fair amount of thank you cards. People are SO kind to us that it seems I or my daughters are always having a reason to send one. Thinking of you cards are the ones I make and send the most of, however.

I sell my cards and the top three requested are thank you, birthday, and sympathy. So there are people out there still using them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 11:55 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

About an 11-year-old who writes thank you letters and decorates the envelopes:
11-year-old girl writes thank you letter to mail carrier, gets dozens from USPS workers in return - ABC News

And the rest of the story:
Taylor Swift Sends Package to 11-Year-Old Fan Who Wrote Touching Thank You Letter to Her Mailman | News Break
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 01:01 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Well, that's just cool!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
A little spinoff - I make sets of thank you cards and give them as an accompaniment to baby shower gifts. It is so much fun to make 20 little baby dresses or giraffe and teddy bear cards. Who knows? The recipient just might write thank you cards - at least to me.
General thank you cards can be also "just because." Thanks for the great visit last week, thanks for helping my son, thanks for being a good friend. I make a lot of cards with no message, and then do what Mountain Stamper was wondering about. I add the message as needed.
Great idea! I do that for Christmas thank you cards as well. I make up about 5 each and tuck them in with gifts to my local friends. As you say, maybe they'll even send them out, haha!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 01:14 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

I've started doing that more often, so that I can add a suitable sentiment later. I also stamped sentiments on a strip of card stock or decorative label, and covered over the Thank You sentiment if I needed a birthday card, etc.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-13-2020, 02:20 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Most of my cards are made without a sentiment on them; I add one when I'm going to mail it. My cards are made with all sorts of stamps and paper - floral, geometric designs, cute images, etc. and I just add a sentiment when needed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 03:06 PM   #30  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I sent a thank you card to our veterinarian and staff. The die cut on the front says “grateful” instead of thank you. Inside I thanked them for the loving care they gave Thaddeus during a surgery.
The Vet! That is a great idea. My friend is involved in a cat rescue organization and she said they have trouble finding vets that are willing to offer reduced/bulk rates to the charity. I am going to make the best thank-you card I can imagine for the vet they use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 03:19 PM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Here and ThereView Post
The Vet! That is a great idea. My friend is involved in a cat rescue organization and she said they have trouble finding vets that are willing to offer reduced/bulk rates to the charity. I am going to make the best thank-you card I can imagine for the vet they use.
That’s so sweet of you! I’d love to see it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have Sue's lifestyle. Not anti-social but small inner circle. I do send Thank You cards. I am a bit behind but they always get sent.

Bjeans mentioned Taylor Swift. She is very big into sending Thank You cards and all the things the older generation thinks the younger generation has forgotten. I read that Lady GaGa is a big Thank You note, card, gift person. I know a lot of Generation Y&Z's that love the art form of Thank You cards, Sympathy cards, Happy Snail Mail. They are bringing it back. I think my generation X helped perpetuate the trend of not sending Thank You's or snail correspondence. I always felt weird in my group for doing it. I know some of my friends thought it was weird even though they thought it was sweet. You know "It's her cute quirkiness" thing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have Sue's lifestyle. Not anti-social but small inner circle. I do send Thank You cards. I am a bit behind but they always get sent.

Bjeans mentioned Taylor Swift. She is very big into sending Thank You cards and all the things the older generation thinks the younger generation has forgotten. I read that Lady GaGa is a big Thank You note, card, gift person. I know a lot of Generation Y&Z's that love the art form of Thank You cards, Sympathy cards, Happy Snail Mail. They are bringing it back. I think my generation X helped perpetuate the trend of not sending Thank You's or snail correspondence. I always felt weird in my group for doing it. I know some of my friends thought it was weird even though they thought it was sweet. You know "It's her cute quirkiness" thing.
Unfortunately, that trend to send everything (including holiday and birthday greetings or thank yous) by electronic mail has even spread to my social group, and we're all seniors. Many of my local friends are also scrapbookers or quilters, and used to send cards...but have stopped. I'm the only one who still sends them out! I always drilled it into my kids to send written thank you notes and my daughter has continued it, but my son has not. My daughter even has her own kids write thank you notes, which I love.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-15-2020, 03:20 AM   #34  
Mad Swapper

I just made up about 30 and sent sets of them to 2 people who work in non-profits. They are always needing to thank volunteers, and since they are working from home, they were glad to get them. They have time to catch on sending them while in lockdown.
Reply With Quote Likes