Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2020, 07:31 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cards drying wavy?

I like to layering..layer cardstock ontop of a card base but when they dry they still dry wavy instead of flat. I feel like I dont use too much glue..is my cardstock too thin? Any advice-or any recommendations on glue?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't like liquid glue much, I use a tape gun or tear type tape mostly. I also like a Xyron for words and small die cuts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2020, 07:20 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

could be a combination of paper weight and amount of liquid.

you could try using a dry double sided dry type adhesive and or heavier weight cardstock and see if you still have the same issues?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi sparkle89. I am going to make an assumption by your join date you are just building a stash. I am going to tailor my answer to new stash builder. If I am wrong just let me know.

Are you using a wet adhesive? If that is all you have at the moment just put your card under a heavy book to flatten it. Of course if it has a ton of embellishments don't do that, lol. Wet adhesives always warp.

Dry adhesives work better with layers to keep them flat. You don't have to buy anything expensive or fancy. You can use double sided tape you can get at WalMart for $1.00.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 06:57 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 33 Likes on 6 Posts

I find liquid glue is my best bet! When I first started making cards I used double-sided tape but found after a year or so the tape developed a stain showing through the cardstock and finally released. Now I use liquid glue ..Cosmic Shimmer from Creative Expressions and love it. Also use something heavy on the top to hold it down until the glue dries. I find this really helps it to dry flat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 09:02 AM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a combination of liquid glue and double sided tape --liquid glue on the card front, double sided tape to attach the card front to the folded base. Most of my cards have mixed media elements and dry warped. I put them under a huge unabridged dictionary overnight, and they emerge flat with dimensional elements still glued secturely. My card base is 110lb card stock, but the front holding the design varies greatly, sometimes just tissue over thin card stock, and the dictionary works even with those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 10:01 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

The type of liquid glue matters. Many of them have a very high water content which will make the cardstock wavy.
I use, almost exclusively, Tombow multi-purpose liquid glue. It's a white bottle with green lids.
All it takes is a tiny dot in each corner and a few dots along the edges for your pieces to stick together pretty much forever. One bottle lasts me about 75-100 cards depending on how many layers there are.

I don't like the dry tape adhesives. Every card I've ever made with that type of adhesive has eventually fallen apart. I have Tombow cards that I made 6 years ago that are still holding strong.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 11:20 AM   #8  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

For a newbie, this probably isn't going to help, but I have a Minc and when I have a piece warp, I run it through the Minc (I suppose any laminator would do as well). Flattens everything right out. Especially helpful after playing with wet mediums, like Color Bursts, which can be VERY wet during the process, and really wonky when they dry.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 04:05 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I use all kinds of glue for my cards, and I think the key to not warping them is that less is more. I use it very sparingly, and I also use heavier cardstock. I almost always use glue when I'm attaching a watercolor panel to a base.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I only use Tombo Mono and Gina K little tube for adding small die cuts to cards. For panels and bigger die cuts I use Zip Dry. THIS IS NOT WET. I have tried several famous brands of white glue made for card crafting and they all warp because they are WET.
Zip Dry dries fairly fast, but gives enough time to slide your panel into place. It is shiny, but you can roll off any excess with your finger. No eraser needed.
Scrapbook Pal has a good price (since mfg price went up recently) and $2.49 shipping at $25.01. Use your coupon for 40% off at Hobby Lobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:09 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Zip Dry dries fairly fast, but gives enough time to slide your panel into place. It is shiny, but you can roll off any excess with your finger. No eraser needed.
Scrapbook Pal has a good price (since mfg price went up recently) and $2.49 shipping at $25.01. Use your coupon for 40% off at Hobby Lobby.
Sometimes when I have tried liquid adhesives, I’ve noticed I can see a bump or the line of adhesive through the layers. (I tend to use white layers a lot so that’s probably part of the problem.) when you assemble your cards, can you see a bump or any indication of where the adhesive is between layers?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes, at times. Less so with thicker cardstock. Wtih Zip dry not being wet, it tends to spread less than other liquid glues. But it holds amazingly well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 03:01 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I've used Zip Dry; I compare it to a hot glue gun, only without blobs of glue.

One glue I never hear mentioned is Crafters Pick; they have several types designated for specific purposes: fabric, jewels, decoupage, tacky, basting, memory mount, and my absolute favorite: Crafters Pick The Ultimate. This is what I used exclusively until I got my ATG gun. And this was back when I was adding ribbon, bows, charms, buttons - all kinds of embellishments, and once they dried, you could only remove them by ripping your card. Used sparingly, spread with a credit card, it will not warp the cardstock.

The best part is that it's available at Michael's and Hobby Lobby; it's about $6/bottle, but you can use a coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 06:52 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I'm terrible with glue. Even when I use very little, I like to have it near the edges so it doesn't pull up. It always squeezes out, gets all over my fingers, the rest of the card and, if I'm not careful, my work table. I always have used a double sided tape of some kind. Regular Scotch brand works for most things, but if there is glitter, heat embossing or some other surface that makes it difficult to hold tape, I will use Sookwang. I do have some glues like E 6000 for embellishments, and do use my Xyron when I have something thin that tape would show through, but mostly I'm a tape girl. By the way I have some samples I have kept to use for decorations through out the year that are 20+ years old and they are still holding perfectly. Wish I could say that about things I have put into files using rubber cement. It doesn't wrinkle the paper, but after a short while it yellows, hardens and the paper pops off. Aargh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 07:40 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

If you use a liquid glue, after adding your layer, use your bone folder, with a strong hand, to smooth out the glue beneath your layer.. this will spread the glue out so thinly (wipe escaped glue bits with the side of your fingernail--it won't show).. no warping, flat even layers. *smile*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 07:44 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

i use tombow glue exclusively because tape runner had the cards falling apart months later. if it's watercolor or thick cardstock you can run them thru your diecut machine to flatten it out. either before you attach it to the card or after
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-06-2020, 10:58 PM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

sparkle89- If you pick up a bottle of Tombow (Green Cap) it is a latex glue. If you are allergic to latex that might not be a good option.

Reply With Quote Likes