Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Using quotes question and request for help

I have a couple questions about quotes-

I may be overthinking this...we all know I tend that way :rolleyes:

First....do you really care what/who the source of a quote you really like is? Do you feel like if you use a quote, it implies you agree with/like the source?

I am thinking I do....I am thinking a person who I don't agree with at all normally could come out with a single quote that I like..... So I do try to find out who the people are before I use the stamp. It is rare I wont use one.

Second...

To that end I got two stamp sets at Technique Junkies.

One is a set called Peace Quotes and I don't recognize/cant find one of the sources. I contacted TJ, but they got this (and the next) as part of a line of stamps they bought out. She tried the old owner, but it has been many months and no word. I did check back once and no love from the old owner yet. Apparently it is a very old set.

Maybe one of you know this person/source?

Simha Bunam Q Burber

One is called Peace on Earth and has a bunch of that in foreign languages. I esp like it for the Portuguese, as I don't see that language often. But there is one I cant get translated, so I don't know what language it is. Does anyone recognize it? It is the 4th one down on the left side. Probably because I cant duplicate some of the letters. I can't see that I wont use it but I would like to know which language it is.

Peace on Earth - Technique Junkies

Thanks for the help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 01:55 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

When I was in my twenties I started putting quotes and sentiments in cards to fit the card recepients personality. Never, ever, ever again! I guess if you could say what was your number one mistake in cardmaking. That would be it! Now, those recepients think I feel the same way and hold their same beliefs.

I do want to know the source of the quote. I know in modern era that can be hard to find. I do still try to source. Serious as all can be I included a quote one time from Billy Graham. The recepient got so upset I gave her a quote from Pope John Paul. I know crazy right? It was a simple mistake. I did check but it was credited to the wrong holy man. My recipent really fell apart over that. I got on their hate list. Especially after I apologized and said I was really sorry. That both men were really sweet. I am a bad evil person, lol. I get it I can get persnickety about things like that to. I am much more careful now.

I hope I am looking at the right translation. Is it the Mup Ha one? I could get the side eye for this because Mup is common in several languages from Hindi to Cryllic. I think it's Russian. In Russian we say Mir Na Zemle (Peace on Earth). I will include the Russian version but it might not input correctly "񿡸р 񿩰 񺹵񿡻е" If it inputed correctly you can see the Russian alphabet is similar. I could be way off on this one. The font she used could be a totally different translation.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 04:39 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I love stamps with quotes, especially when the original author is credited. I use them in cards, journals and little pick-me-up notes for others. (I blame Oprah, BTW). Sometimes a quote or part of one will get stuck in my head and I can Google it and almost always find in on one of many quote sources.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Location: Michigan ( where else can you point out where you live on your hand)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m looking for a Quote a Splitcoast member has as part of her profile.
It’s something like. This is not a mess it is my office and these are not pajamas
They are my work uniform.
With her permission Id like to use it on a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you stamp the individual quote and list a photo, you might get an answer by searching Google for the image***

*** Highlight the image, which should open a dialog box (if using a mouse, right click first). Select Web Search then select search Google for this image.***

When I did it for the image with all the quotes, I mostly got results for TJ. Hopefully you'll get better results with the individual quote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have a couple questions about quotes-

I may be overthinking this...we all know I tend that way :rolleyes:

First....do you really care what/who the source of a quote you really like is? Do you feel like if you use a quote, it implies you agree with/like the source?

I am thinking I do....I am thinking a person who I don't agree with at all normally could come out with a single quote that I like..... So I do try to find out who the people are before I use the stamp. It is rare I wont use one.

Second...

To that end I got two stamp sets at Technique Junkies.

One is a set called Peace Quotes and I don't recognize/cant find one of the sources. I contacted TJ, but they got this (and the next) as part of a line of stamps they bought out. She tried the old owner, but it has been many months and no word. I did check back once and no love from the old owner yet. Apparently it is a very old set.

Simha Bunam Q Burber

One is called Peace on Earth and has a bunch of that in foreign languages. I esp like it for the Portuguese, as I don't see that language often. But there is one I cant get translated, so I don't know what language it is. Does anyone recognize it? It is the 4th one down on the left side. Probably because I cant duplicate some of the letters. I can't see that I wont use it but I would like to know which language it is.

Peace on Earth - Technique Junkies

Thanks for the help!

All four of the characters on the left are the phrase in simplified Chinese. (You can check this with google translate, which is what I used to look it up. It will display characters for you. Just start with the English and translate to simplified Chinese.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 06:46 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use quotes a lot. I especially like the quote stamps from Paper Artsy's Electica collection by Alison Bomber: Cling Stamps - Eclectica Alison Bomber
If the quote is serious/profound, I want an attribution. But if it's funny, I don't care who said it first.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2020, 01:06 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I always search on the quote, not wanting to inadvertently pass along a quote by a racist, anti-Semite, etc. How awful if the recipient thought I’d promote such a person. Even terrible people can come up with pretty words.

Unrelated (?), even well established stamp companies occasionally incorrectly attribute a quote, or the words aren’t what was actually written or said. I just saw one the other day. Not offensive, but accuracy is nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 08:28 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Simha Bunam Q Burber
Could this be a typo or an alternative spelling for Simcha Bunim do you think? Not somebody I’ve ever heard of but a bit of Google magic made me wonder (wiki profile here)

Quote:

One is called Peace on Earth and has a bunch of that in foreign languages...It is the 4th one down on the left side. Probably because I cant duplicate some of the letters. I can't see that I wont use it but I would like to know which language it is.
Aren’t all those characters on the left a single phrase (presumably “peace on earth”)? We write horizontally and left to right but plenty of other writing systems go vertically or right to left. Maybe somebody who understands simplified Chinese would be able to tell you for sure.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 09:03 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 09:16 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I did a search on Google Translate and the closest visual is Bulgarian, as some of their letters look different. Peace on Earth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh boy. That's what we get for trying to super personalize a card!! If people dont know you well they could think it is your belief too.

I said that wrong. Dee Ann I do mean the Mup ha one....not the chinese. But thanks for that one too! One day I might learn my left from right...and then I will be dangerous! I know it is peace on earth-it is just the language I want to know now....
No..Joanne I saw that name, but I have written it as it is....the writing is spidery, but I have my big trusty magnifier out LOL. It is a puzzler. Maybe they do mean that person...as some said...they do make mistakes...

Louisa May-those quotes are a riot. I have some.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 11:29 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper That is why I print out sentiments. To hard to translate the stamping ones, lol. If you just change one angle on a letter in a foreign language you could mean Happy Birthday and just told the person their Mother looks like a monkey, lol.

My DH is studying Japanese and one brush stroke the meaning is completely different and it will be a little tiny minuscule brush stroke.

I think some of our stamp companies think the font is pretty and go with it. I don't think they realize they shouldn't go with it, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 02:09 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

No..Joanne I saw that name, but I have written it as it is....the writing is spidery, but I have my big trusty magnifier out LOL. It is a puzzler. Maybe they do mean that person...as some said...they do make mistakes...
I’m sure you’ve got what it says on the stamp, I as wondering if the stamp had it slightly wrong. More google magic, the exact phrase appears in this book, with Buber attributing it to something said by Rabbi Bunan - so that’s two people, not one, and the spelling is slightly different for each of them than what’s in the stamp! The page with the quote is here (just after the sub heading)

My blog

Last edited by Angelnorth; 05-05-2020 at 02:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 04:46 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Unrelated (?), even well established stamp companies occasionally incorrectly attribute a quote, or the words aren’t what was actually written or said. I just saw one the other day. Not offensive, but accuracy is nice.
Ohhh, this makes me cringe.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-05-2020, 01:23 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
I’m sure you’ve got what it says on the stamp, I as wondering if the stamp had it slightly wrong. More google magic, the exact phrase appears in this book, with Buber attributing it to something said by Rabbi Bunan - so that’s two people, not one, and the spelling is slightly different for each of them than what’s in the stamp! The page with the quote is here (just after the sub heading)

I wonder if the Q burber that wave jumper typed is an annotation for as quoted in buber, which is a pretty good match for what you found. And if the original name is in Hebrew, then anyone spelling it with the Roman alphabet is just doing their best with phonics, which is why some sources may differ on the spelling.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Well I feel better....much smarter people/researchers than me are also stumped so....I just wont use that stamp until I ever find which language it is.

If any stamp mfgs ever read this...PLEASE put in what language the stamps are on the index.

I should have told you the quote for Q Burber...I dont know if you can read it online. This print so tiny and spidery.

You cannot find peace anywhere save in your own self...
this is very similar to a Marvin Gaye quote as it happens lol...and some others.

Anyway...thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
It’s something like. This is not a mess it is my office and these are not pajamas
That could possibly be me!

You are most welcome to use it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 02:05 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdeyes9View Post
That would be me. Feel free to use it!

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST. SENIORITIS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 07:20 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Here's the Google translate for "Peace on Earth" to Russian. Any visual differences have to do with different fonts.

I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-14-2020, 10:21 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks fionna51 for posting a screenshot. I tried to write it Russian and I knew it would get garbled.

wavejumper- Is that the one you were trying to translate?

Reply With Quote Likes