Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-17-2020, 09:50 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Closet Org Setup - Looking for Product Solutions

Unlike most of you, I do not have a dedicated crafting room. And in fact, the desk I use for crafting has to stay uber tidy when not in use. Fortunally, I have storage options IN the desk, and soon, in my closet.

It's the closet stuff I am worried about. I have a very small walk-in closet that I am going to re-hab. It's got 2 available walls of space, 1 along the left wall, and 1 at the back.

I plan to hang all my clothes on the back wall, and have cubes, boxes and a small flat surface on the left wall.

Traditional closet systems are horribly expensive, and I would prefer to not go that route anyways.

I'd like to start with something like the photo I have attached, and then buy cheap normal storage bin cubes for either side of what is shown in the picture.

The picture is the Artbin System, not including the top flat surface layer. This would work great for me in general, but the reviews of the cube products on Amazon are a bit scary.

Since I'm new at looking at this stuff, can anyone give me some advice on a decent system that I could get going for less than $300 and shipped to my house? Please and thank you!

P.S. Assembly is not a problem, assming it's not some super cheap chinese knockoff (dealt with that last month).

Edit: Clarifying that the reason I looked into this Airbin option is because I like the bins, and the bins FIT on those specific cubes, on rails. Which means you can access one bin at a time. Having said this, the reviews for the rails the bins sit on in the cubes is the issue.  I would have thought there were other brands that have these systems, and that's what I am interested in. I need to start buying bins, but don't want to until I know what system I am going with.

Also, I am hoping for a non-stark-white solution, because the closet IS a closet, and I am also working on matching bins for everything else, after finally finding a bin that will work just this week. That is this bin here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07351JB5P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 04-17-2020 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Clarity
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

That looks nice! These cubes are sturdy:

EKET Cabinet - white - IKEA

This combo may not work for you but there are other combos of Linmon tops or other desks, like Pahl. I assume you aren't interested in Alex units holding the desktop up because you want removable containers?

KALLAX Workstation - white - IKEA

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=pahl%20desk%20with%20add%20on%20unit

BTW, may people have part of a room or use a dining room table, etc. Justine Hovey, a well known blogger had her craft area in her bedroom for years, and after moving to Germany has a space that's part of a room. She recently gave a tour and is good for ideas.

I may be off track with what you need, but will try again if so! Whatever you do I hope you come back and show us.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 04-17-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
That looks nice! These cubes are sturdy:
EKET Cabinet - white - IKEA
This combo may not work for you but there are other combos of Linmon tops or other desks, like Pahl. I assume you aren't interested in Alex units holding the desktop up because you want removable containers?

KALLAX Workstation - white - IKEA
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/search/products/?q=pahl%20desk%20with%20add%20on%20unit
BTW, may people have part of a room or use a dining room table, etc. Justine Hovey, a well known blogger had her craft area in her bedroom for years, and after moving to Germany has a space that's part of a room. She recently gave a tour and is good for ideas.
I may be off track with what you need, but will try again if so! Whatever you do I hope you come back and show us.
Beth
Thanks for the links, Beth!

All that Ikea stuff is so darn white on white. Also, I updated my post with some pertinent date (ie, I need bins that work in the cubes, and I need a cube/bin system that is not too big). I'm with on a cream/beige pallet in the closet, which is currently under massive construction to accommodate my design requirements.

I looked up Justin and found her 2018 tour. Wow, impressive organization. But also, way more stuff than I will ever have. Since I'll mostly be staying in one general color pallet, my needs are way less varied.

I might end of having to go with a "bin stacked on bin" solution..but I'm hoping for another alternative before I put money down.

The Artbin solution solves several things..enough bins for my crafting goals, a flat surface to fold clothes on (desperately needed), and the cubes + a flat surface is right around $300. Bins cost extra, of course. Plus it's small enough to allow for 2 narrow bookcases on either side, which will end up holding, I hope, about 12 of those striped fabric bins, which will have custom hand-made tags. I think this will end up looking very nice and clean with my other beige bins, but not too matchy-matchy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 02:38 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Ah, I see - I thought you wanted white. Some of the pieces come in brown too. Ikea also has different colored bins that fit into Kallax (same measurements as the old Expedit) and small ones in different colors.

A nice company called Panyl makes vinyl coverings in a variety of colors and patterns to go over some of the Ikea pieces but also sells it by the foot. A couple of my clients used them. They were the first and their product is high quality, but there also are sellers on Etsy who I’m not familiar with who make decals/stickers.
PANYL Gallery

Justine has a more recent and smaller set-up in Germany. I’ll look at your updated info.

I had ArtBins and the quality is good plus they have loads of sizes and configurations, and many come with dividers. The problem was because they’re hinged, when open, they take up double the space. I prefer lids that lift off unless the container is tiny. I got rid of all of them except two that aren’t for crafting. But it wouldn’t bother most people, just my weirdness.

I didn’t know what you meant by not wanting white because the closet is a closet, sorry - but I’m sure you’ll get other suggestions and make a wonderful space.

Last edited by bjeans; 04-17-2020 at 02:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2020, 11:30 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

I got my 9-cube storage from Menards. They have other sizes of cube systems than 9. Mine are white, but they have other color options.

Here is a link for a 12-cube in cottage finish:
https://www.menards.com/main/storage...50-c-12646.htm
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 06:15 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Another place to consider browsing for options that would work for you is Home Depot: Cube Storage and Accessories

or Lowes: Storage Cubes and Drawers and Storage Bins and Baskets

I have several of these: ClosetMaid Espresso Laminate Cube and the 3-drawer Sterilite units fit in them, as well as some of the bins/baskets. I wanted shelves that were only 5" apart on one of them, so I bought two of the units and pre-drilled my own holes for the extra shelves. One of the "side" pieces is spanning a space between two units to create more usable area (wastebasket underneath, coloring mediums on top). These can also be stacked (pegs included to hold the units together), so you could go vertical very easily.

It sounds like you are creative enough to custom-design your space with some out-of-the-box thinking, so I would suggest looking at unconventional sources and see what floats your boat...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Another place to consider browsing for options that would work for you is Home Depot: Cube Storage and Accessories
or Lowes: Storage Cubes and Drawers and Storage Bins and Baskets
I have several of these: ClosetMaid Espresso Laminate Cube and the 3-drawer Sterilite units fit in them, as well as some of the bins/baskets. I wanted shelves that were only 5" apart on one of them, so I bought two of the units and pre-drilled my own holes for the extra shelves. One of the "side" pieces is spanning a space between two units to create more usable area (wastebasket underneath, coloring mediums on top). These can also be stacked (pegs included to hold the units together), so you could go vertical very easily.
It sounds like you are creative enough to custom-design your space with some out-of-the-box thinking, so I would suggest looking at unconventional sources and see what floats your boat...
Oh, good point about ClosetMaid, Sue! I cut their shelves into pieces to put in an Alex unit instead of drawers. Well not me personally. 

BTW, Alex also comes in a nice gray though many love white, including me. (Just not white walls, please.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 06:58 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Well after my initial post yesterday (and watching part of Justine Hovey's 2018 tour video several times), I have several ideas on how to do this. The Artbin system, while nice, is actually pricey. I actually already have a BUNCH of the clear Interdesign containers Justine uses.

Thank you, Sue, for that vote of confidence. I must admit I was hoping to just pick something and buy it, so I can concentrate on my other projects, but dang it. I'll regret it later if I just throw something together without thinking of my closet as it's own little pleasant area. (Gonna have lamps in there and all that).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-18-2020, 08:25 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Here is a really lame mockup of where I am at the moment with this. I think clear bins like what Justine uses is going to have to do, unless I can find actual crafting bins that fit in the piece of furniture in this mockup.

I'd cover the FRONT of the furniture with something more ah..vintage looking, and cover the top with some kind of creamy giant lacy thing.

In this mockup, I have 2 of those stripe bins right now, and 2 of those beige zippered ones. I also have the mirror. The problem right now is that I also have a bunch of misc bins, because everytime I buy a few, they get discontinued before I buy more. In fact, those nice stripe bins...the normal seller is out of them. DAMN IT!

Anways, this is not to scale, and I haven't measured yet. Clothes will be on another wall. I also have a vacuum, a step ladder, and a folder clothes dryer rack that needs to be in there somewhere.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 06:54 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I dont have an answer for you other than to say mom once covered an old file cabinet that was going to be out in view with a dark wood look contact paper. It was not terrible. If all else fails and the only actual physical thing you like is white...there are many choices of sticky back vinyls out there now.

I might suggest if you are going to put lights in there, just stay really aware of how much heat they throw off-like halogen bulbs. They are going to be physically close to you and the space is not going to ventilate super well depending on window position in the room. You may end up needing to have a small fan in the summertime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-19-2020, 07:27 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I dont have an answer for you other than to say mom once covered an old file cabinet that was going to be out in view with a dark wood look contact paper. It was not terrible. If all else fails and the only actual physical thing you like is white...there are many choices of sticky back vinyls out there now.

I might suggest if you are going to put lights in there, just stay really aware of how much heat they throw off-like halogen bulbs. They are going to be physically close to you and the space is not going to ventilate super well depending on window position in the room. You may end up needing to have a small fan in the summertime.
Contact paper - Great idea. I've been looking at contact paper lately, but for a totally different reason (black mini-fridge in an office with all white furniture)

Pretty sure your thinking I'm going to craft in that space. No way! It's a storage solution for clothes and craft supplies

This is where I craft (it's behind me as I type this):

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Default I AM an idiot....

:oops:

So here I am, preparing to create a ton of decorative containers (and a few other things along the way), and I am worried about bins to use to store my craft materials. :rolleyes:

Yesterday I came across a random Youtube video where someone posted a "stamp storage box" video, and I was like OMG, duh!

So that closet mockup in my one of my previous posts shows a piece of furniture that will be perfect in my closet. And I have a huge pile of cardboard boxes in the garage that I can use for this. I've got wrapping paper rolls, can print most anything I want, and for "espec'ial" things, I can use nice cardstock sets.

I was not kidding about the cardboard boxes I have been hoarding all of 2019 and up to now...

Right now they are a mess, but as soon as it warms up some I'm going to get out there and organize these so I know what I have.

Cardboard Boxes Extravaganza!

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 04-20-2020 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:46 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish you were closer to NC. I have used the Artbin system for years, and I really liked it. However, I'm lucky to have a whole room. My grandson just built two walls of drawers for me. I have a TON of Artbin cubes and cases that I would give you. Shipping would probably be prohibitive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeeleebView Post
I wish you were closer to NC. I have used the Artbin system for years, and I really liked it. However, I'm lucky to have a whole room. My grandson just built two walls of drawers for me. I have a TON of Artbin cubes and cases that I would give you. Shipping would probably be prohibitive.
That is a very nice thought, but yea, shipping would be a monster.

In any case, I am pretty sure of how I am going to proceed. Make some boxes myself, and then anything I don't want to make, measure and buy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Posting an updated mock-up because I have measured, and the initial furniture piece I liked was just too huge for the closet. With this new solution, I actually get more storage, the furniture matches, and the finish on the furniture will be fine with the purchased bins I'll be using (have 2 more of those stripe bins on order right now). The stripe bins are for holding personal items, shoes, supplies, tools, etc.
I'll be making cute tags for those.

And like I have stated in previous thread updates, I can make several of the crafting storage bins I need myself. And it will be great to customize them the way I want. The only thing I'll probably buy are 1) Binders, 2) embellishment storage trays, and 3) misc stuff.

Binders are for the templates I'm making, which I have already started to do. I create the template file in Photoshop, print on cardstock, then trace onto chipboard. I can than print a copy of the template file on normal paper, with a photo of the finished piece. The paper and the cardstock pieces go in a sheet protector.

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 04-22-2020 at 09:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 06:44 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

I think I would install 3 or 4 regular white closet shelves all the way around on the 3 walls. You could hang your shirts from the bottom shelf. Some of the shelves have the hanging bar for hangers. Maybe you could fold your pants and put them on a shelf or fold them over a shirt hanger so that they're the same length as your shirts. You could have a TON of space for storage on the shelves.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:02 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

ah...I saw the desk and thought you were putting one in the closet-people have done that. You are just addressing the understorage in that unit. Sorry.

What are the dimensions of this closet?

I would suggest you put paper on the floor the depth you are thinking about going on the left wall. 12 inch deep? 14? You described it as a tiny closet. Just pile up boxes at that line upward so you get the sense of what it will feel like once you fill up that wall before you commit to buying things. I often find what I think in my head will work actually does not. Technically, I can fit it, but it is SO unpleasant to be around or try to work with that I have to back off. There is this desire to pack as much in as you can over time as you accumulate more.

Your best bet might just be bracket shelving the full wall so you can adjust the shelves over time as you want to. If you want a beige look just get blond wood shelves at Home depot-you can get pre-cuts or have them custom cut them either from wood or a pre-cut. One they are full of stuff you wont see them much anyway.

Then you can put decorated boxes on the shelves, bottles of buttons, equipment like a big shot, etc. ?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:10 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by sostinkincuteView Post
I think I would install 3 or 4 regular white closet shelves all the way around on the 3 walls. You could hang your shirts from the bottom shelf. Some of the shelves have the hanging bar for hangers. Maybe you could fold your pants and put them on a shelf or fold them over a shirt hanger so that they're the same length as your shirts. You could have a TON of space for storage on the shelves.

Also, I actually have crafting storage in the main crafting area. My shiny new Spellbinder is actually in my crafting desk, in the space that is normally used for a Computer Workstation. I have a HUGE printing station with oodles of storage. And as I have said already, I am not going to have THAT much crafting stuff. All of my projects are going to be for me or the house. 1 color pallet for my stuff, and another for the Kitchen area / garage workstation. I will have paper, inks, some embellishments, and lots of cardboard / chipboard. And of course all the glues, adhesives, etc.

Only have 2 available walls (it's a weirdly shaped, TINY walk-in), and the wall in my mockups is just craft and personal stuff STORAGE. The other wall (not seen or really discussed) will be 2 bars of hanging clothes. (I will be getting a dresser/tv stand eventually, until then, I have other options).

I also REALLY want a flat surface in that closet. I want to be able to do small item folding (I do something sorta like that lady ah....Kondo?), and to put a bin / container / box on and look through it.

Also, I rent very long term..long, complicated explanation aside, this is why anything super $$$ / complicated / requires installation is out of the picture. House owner doesn't care, but I'm not keen on spending a ton only to leave it here sometime down the line.

Finally, I am weird. I admit it fully, and without shame. My solution for all sorts of things often makes people go huh? Mostly because I am often determined to take months to find a custom configuration solution to all sorts of things. (Translation: given time, I can pack a 1 bedroom apartment into a 5 x 10 storage unit, AND get stuff out of it whenever it's needed).

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 04-22-2020 at 07:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 07:42 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
ah...I saw the desk and thought you were putting one in the closet-people have done that. You are just addressing the understorage in that unit. Sorry.

I often find what I think in my head will work actually does not. Technically, I can fit it, but it is SO unpleasant to be around or try to work with that I have to back off. There is this desire to pack as much in as you can over time as you accumulate more.
No worries. I realized after reading you previous comment that my post might have looked like I WAS going to spend a lot of time in there! Haha!

I get that what looks good on paper does not always translate to a comfortable experience. I've been dealing with small spaces for years, so I have a bit of experience with this. In fact, my current home office and crafting area is currently IN MY BEDROOM. Yeesh. It's a room FULL of furniture, but I manged to find the most feng shui arrangement, and in a short amount of time, too. It looks a little weird, but it's very cozy.

Anways, I've now measured the closet six ways to Sunday. I'm actually many inches BELOW the maximum allowed space restrictions on the storage wall. My clothes are currently hanging on the wall in my mockups, and said clothes extend 20 inches into the main closet area (which is a whopping 54 inches wide). The furniture in my latest mockup extends less then 15 inches. So it will actually feel more airy. And hanging my clothes on the back wall will actually make that wall look less congested than it is now and this will help as well.

When I say this will end up being a pleasant (though perhaps odd) arrangement, I've done my homework.

Not to mention, next time I move, I'll have lots of furniture right from the get-go. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Also, if anyone is wondering why I am putting so much effort into this, the answer is a little odd...
Up until late December of 2019, I was in this house, but spread out over 2 rooms. I was working on upgrades to the closets in those 2 rooms WAY before that. I have fancy hangers (getting even nicer ones soon), nice looking (but not yet matching bins), and I color code my clothes. The reason why I care so much about this is because I was already working on a total closet re-hab before I got into this crafting obsession.

Also, I've got something that I've been wanting for years. The ability to customize my environment to my own idiosyncratic needs. And not just in my own area, but a whole house. So I'm taking it slow and trying to find the best solutions for everything.

I've manged to do something pretty awesome in my main work/craft/bed room (most everything matches, and in another few months it will ALL match). I just want the closet to be as nice, if not quite the same feel.

Additional: I also have a much larger private, bathroom now, with a SOAKING TUB. (haven't used it yet, too cold, but I have salts, bombs, the whole kit n caboodle). I'm working on this too! You totally do NOT want to see the photos I took of this area when the house owner (male, bachelor) moved out. It was filthy and all around horrible. It's much better now, but still needs a fair amount of work to make it cozy and inviting, because the entire area is cheap, builder grade crap. Example: the floor tile is also the counter surface..I mean, who does that. Also there is a mirror over an entire wall (a serious ***** to keep shiny), and horrible vanity lights. The entire vanity area needs a re-hab, and I'm fairly sure it's in the house budget for 2021. And I will be managing that project, thank goodness.

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 04-22-2020 at 08:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-23-2020, 10:25 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Default Good for you

That you are taking the time to think through what you need. I have a good system for my Art Bins. I got it at Michael's and it holds 7 Art Bins on shelves, not tracks. It's also on wheels but you can leave them off. The total height is 30.5"without the wheels. Michael's always has sales on the storage stuff or you can use a coupon. This will have to wait until they are open again or you could try online. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2020, 08:32 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Progress with Cardboard

Spent most of last weekend in the garage.. Got a new tenant moving in this coming weekend and need to clear some space for him.

Also, I went through all the cardboard I've been hoarding for the last few months. All the good stuff is shown in front in this photo. The rest I either trashed or used for lids, which I made for a few garage boxes that I wanted to keep bugs out of.

It's still pretty chilly at night, but I found a bunch of spiders behind my personal boxes along the back wall, behind the boxes I'm saving for crafting.

Garage looks a ton tidier too!

I'll start working on inside bins in another few days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-16-2020, 07:57 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Figured I'd post an update to this thread regarding using shipping box cardboard.

Watched a lot of videos of people using this kind of cardboard. Either they don't care about the results, or well..who knows.

My take on using shipping box cardboard for boxes: Forget it. At least, normal everyday shipping cardboard. First, it's actually softer than chipboard. Also, the edges are VERY soft, so it's tough getting clean edges and corners. Much harder to get exact measurements. Easy to damage during box assembly.

Exception to this is boxes that have double (or triple) layers. The cardboard from these boxes will be VERY thick, but much more useful than standard shipping box cardboard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2020, 07:01 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Agreed on the shipping boxes - hard to get precise. It limits size, for sure, but I've successfully made boxes using cardboard from cereal boxes and such. If I want thicker/stronger, I double up the layers (spray adhesive works well for that).

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2020, 07:41 AM   #25  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Found at HomeDepot, took doors off closet. The people who owned house before us were smart and added shelves inside the closet making once unusable space usable. I love this cart, sorry I accidently sent this to your message box....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by AbbyRose1995View Post

Found at HomeDepot, took doors off closet. The people who owned house before us were smart and added shelves inside the closet making once unusable space usable. I love this cart, sorry I accidently sent this to your message box....
That's cool, but not what I need. And no, your post is right in this thread. Nothing in my Inbox, hehe.

That is a nice cabinet though. I have a walk in closet, and there are shelves. Just not on the right wall. Also, I want a flat surface to fold clothes on. The bookcase is going to be full of bins of my personal stuff and some crafting stuff, and the other piece will all be crafting stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes