View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #1
Katchoo1
Crimping Master

Default Embossing Struggles

Heat embossing is the thing that first captured my attention (an in-store stamping demo at the late lamented Binders Art Supply store) and a Marvy tool and Judikins powders were some of my first purchases, but it's something I have gotten away from over the years.

A few months ago I was trying to emboss something and it just wasn't working. I concluded that my heat tool was dying because the powder wouldn't melt at all, and gave my beloved old Marvy a decent burial and bought a new tool. I got a Chandler heat gun.

Well I've tried some embossing again lately and I'm still frustrated. Do embossing powders expire? Because I haven't bought any in years so all of mine are well over 10 years old, most 20+. (Holy cow).

So I'm not sure if it's the powders, the new tool or some combination. I noticed when I was trying to emboss that the color of the cardstock was immediately changing no matter how careful I was with the gun or which heat level I was using, and I did scorch the paper as well before I got more careful. Despite that, the powder never seemed to fully "develop" and melt together.

So here are my questions:

--DOES embossing powder expire? should I just replace mine?
--if so, which brands are current faves - recommendations?
--is it the learning curve with the new heat tool -- anyone else familiar with the Chandler that can offer some tips (high or low setting, best distance from page, should I take the horrible clear plastic cover off the tip or no?

Thanks!

Colleen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!