Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-14-2020, 04:41 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Being productive during isolation

I hope all of you and your's are well as we ride out this pandemic.
I'm using this down time to take on my craft room: condensing, purging and reorganizing. So far I have two boxes for donation and I'm not done yet I'm just taking a break to eat and post a few lines.

Today, I...
cleared the room, vacuumed and put down a chair mat... condensed 1-5 drawer tower unit of wood mount stamps down to 1 unit... reorganized and purged items from the 9 hole cubi unit... organized 8.5x11 cardstock by color in 5 slot paper organizer... cleared large metal shelving unit and organized 12x12 paper pads, acrylic & ink storage... moved lighting fixtures and phone... labeled storage cases for 6x6 paper pads and swapped out pads... labeled some binders for unmounted rubber stamps...
What are you doing to pass the time?

When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. Psalms 56:3
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 02:20 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I already did my room at the first of the year. I needed to organize some things better. I am so happy & blessed I was able to buy my storage items before the emergency announcements. This week I am working on my ephemera collection. I already did my tools & coloring supplies. I was able to order everything early.

The rest of my time I would like to finish cutting out all my ephemera I collected- books, papers, unique images I have found, etc... and make some junque journal embellishments.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 06:46 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I moved all of the shelves in my room over to one wall and split the two desks apart (I had them back-to-back previously) with a shelf between. Now I can just turn from one to the other in my swivel chair to use both surfaces - handy! I needed to have an empty wall for a piano.

I'm also getting very well acquainted with Airtable. I'm SO grateful that Lydia posted about her use of it and the video that provided very clear step-by-step on setting it up! I'm more than halfway through my stamps at this point - hope to finish up by mid-week.

As I've been cataloging, I've had inspirations hit with what to do with the stamps I'm listing, so I've been jotting down notes and will start on some of those ideas, as well. I'm over the endless organizing and indexing and need to PLAY! For some weird reason, my aversion to "techniques" is dissipating and I find myself becoming very intrigued by some of them, so more impetus to get inky...

I have been out of work for nearly two months now and our current climate is not exactly conducive to starting a new one, so it's a good excuse to stay home and do whatever I want, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 08:41 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I started cleaning and organizing my craft room. As I still am working during the week, this is going to take awhile.

One thing I will say...before all this, my husband liked to go out quite a bit during the week, since we've been staying home, I've noticed we are talking more and I never knew he was interested in my crafting, so I've been showing him a few things. Wouldn't it be funny if he got 'bit' by the crafting bug too? I'd need two craft rooms then! Ha ha!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow. I am so impressed by you all! Geez Bohodiva! You kicked butt today!

I fell down a rabbit hole and started looking at stamp companies new to me for my master list. There is some stuff I would like to follow up on. I really enjoy seeing new to me companies even if I dont like the style. Found several Polish companies and two Italian ones. It all started when I looked at a hop for International Women's day and noticed I did not know 3 of the participants.

But there is going to be a lot of time to do it all in the months to come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

DH was fixing the shower tonight. I played on Pinterest while waiting for him to yell for help. I am the second pair of hands. Pinterest surfing was actually productive. I found some cool techniques and ideas to use my stash more productively. I haven't played on Pinterest in months.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 04:02 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Reading about everyone's isolation crafting adventures just has me a little jealous. I still have to work. Even if we shut our doors (I work in IT for a Credit Union) I would still have to work from home. I'm grateful to still have that option and income. But I'm sad that I can't craft like everyone else.
If I did have a few weeks to not work, I'd organize my craft supplies and nap often.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

You all sound so ambitious. Instead of doing what I am supposed to be doing, cleaning my craft space, I am sitting here reading with envy, all you are doing! Bye, I am going to go down and get busy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 08:08 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I did some organizing recently, putting stamps with coordinating dies. BOY, does that feel good! LOL Tomorrow, I start Spring Cleaning the house! Other than that, I will keep crafting away here! Not much change for us. We're home-bodies anyway. ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Funny this virus should hit as I just completed moving and installing new shelves. I am retired but all my outside events have been cancelled so more time to get everything cleaned and moved. Finding items I no longer need...sold a couple of items on Facebook this last week. Re-organizing stamps/dies and updating my inventory sheets.
Hoping everyone stays safe and ride out this calming time..relax and enjoy your family.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had boxes of cards people had sent me over the years just sitting in several places in my room. I gathered all of them up and sorted them first by size - 6x6 and 5-1/2 x 4 -1/4. Then I went through every one. Any with no hand written messages or signatures went to one pile to reuse. Those with written messages or a stamped message and a signature to another pile. Then I cut the fronts off any with hand written anything. The cut off fronts I remounted on plain card bases to be used for any type of card I may need. Now I have 1 shoe box of just birthday and 2 more shoe boxes of usable cards at my disposal. I used up some of my cardstock. And I have just a tad more space, but a much neater looking room!

Kathy's Knook

Last edited by kathg3262; 03-18-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:17 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathg3262View Post
I had boxes of cards people had sent me over the years just sitting in several places in my room. I gathered all of them up and sorted them first by size - 6x6 and 5-1/2 x 4 -1/4. Then I went through every one. Any with no hand written messages or signatures went to one pile to reuse. Those with written messages or a stamped message and a signature to another pile. Then I cut the fronts off any with hand written anything. The cut off fronts I remounted on plain card bases to be used for any type of card I may need. Now I have 1 shoe box of just birthday and 2 more shoe boxes of usable cards at my disposal. I used up some of my cardstock. And I have just a tad more space, but a much neater looking room!
Good idea! I added the task to my never ending project list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:37 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

I organized my ephemera better tonight. I just have my paper shelf and I am done. Then I am Spring cleaning. I have a very large garden in. Yes, too my girls who follow my gardening exploits it is huge this year. I know I will probably not be able to do starters. I have over two hundred packets of seeds. My volunteers have started popping up. I have several hybrid blooms peeking at me.

Art wise I am starting next week to make junque journal ephemera my style.

You know we all have this thing about how to pronounce ephemera. I was watching Mozart in the Jungle. Rodrigo brought up ephemera and Hailey corrected him on how to say it. I laughed so hard and thought about us.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2020, 04:29 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I’m working from home during the week, so I’ve been being more creative than organizational this weekend—especially since I just got the latest Hero Arts kit. But one thing I’d like to do is get some ink swatching done. My last chart is pretty but sadly outdated at this point.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2020, 06:51 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlkView Post
I’m working from home during the week, so I’ve been being more creative than organizational this weekend—especially since I just got the latest Hero Arts kit. But one thing I’d like to do is get some ink swatching done. My last chart is pretty but sadly outdated at this point.
I did the inks a couple of weeks ago, but this week I finally got my Prismacolor pencils swatched. Santa brought me the 150-color set, so it was time...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Wow, how funny to see this thread. I spent about two hours cleaning and reorganizing my craft space yesterday. It's always nice to move stuff around based on what i'm using most. My hubby just rolled his eyes and walked away. Smart man ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2020, 12:39 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

I was working in the den today on the painting side of the room.
I rehung a piece of artwork over the paint station. Then I decided to go to the 99 cent store to pick up small clamps and another plastic shower curtain to cover the table. (They're shower curtains are much thicker than the ones sold at $1 store). I also picked up 3 bright colored ceramic plant pots to store my paint brushes, and a clear small tall latch lid container to hold DO sprays (which is a perfect fit). Now my paint station is ready for the next round creative play.

However what started out as a quick trip to the store with 2 items on my list turned into almost a hour spending $24. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2020, 03:20 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I bought some of Concord & 9ths huge sale last week and they came in the mail. I sorted all of my dies onto magnets and normally, I would not do that for months . I'm having fun with my new stamps and die cuts.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2020, 04:05 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

- I "rediscovered" this site! Glad to see this discussion going on because it's exactly what I was wondering.
Like many, I tackled my craft area when I could (have kids at home and have to help keep them on track with school) and surfed the internet quite a bit. Came across Lindsey, the Frugal Crafter on YouTube and was motivated to share the "shop at home" projects I am doing.
If you'd like to check it out, it's Starlight Musings
or if you'd like to check out more Pinterest boards, mine is https://www.pinterest.com/daylightdesigns/boards/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2020, 04:49 PM   #20  
Stampin' Fool

Since my retirement in April, I made and distributed face masks... and spent a good bit of time working in the garden. I've amended soil, planted veggies and a variety of perennial flowers. I made garden signs and added more yard art. I'm done except for watering and harvesting.

Now I'm preparing myself for possible back surgery after many years of suffering.
This is not the retirement I planned for but it is what it is, God is in control, HE is the Great Physician.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2020, 12:42 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm jealous of your garden - I only have a tiny balcony for my desert apartment, so growing anything is not really possible (succulents, maybe). I really miss my yard and garden back East...

Good luck with your surgery! Back issues are nothing short of debilitating (two of my daughters have degenerative disc disease and both have had surgeries). I hope you have a good support system! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Photos from anyone!?

I'm a container junky. Empty containers - boxes/plastic envelopes/bags/pouches/holders/etc. - from my office/craft room and three other places in the house (!) were all brought to the dining room table and chairs by my husband, and I did a big sorting/purge/re-org. Two donate boxes filled plus a larger piece ready for Life4Animals thrift shop when the world re-opens a bit.

I’ve been doing a foove (made up word for fake move) for a looong time in the entire house. Foove because moving is often when people get rid of a lot, but we’re not moving. I’m pretending we’re downsizing to about half the space to keep me somewhat ruthless.

Also sorted, purged and re-organized my dies, started on the stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 10:51 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Good luck with your surgery! Back issues are nothing short of debilitating (two of my daughters have degenerative disc disease and both have had surgeries). I hope you have a good support system! I'll be thinking of you and praying for you.
Thank you for the prayers. I've been dealing with back issues since 2007. I too, have degenerative disc disease (lumbar spinal stenosis). Walking and standing too long set off the nerves... You know since your daughters have similar issues. I hope your daughters had a successful outcome after having the surgeries.

As I wait for surgery scheduling to reopen, I'm finishing the dishwasher paint project. I painted it chili pepper red.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 04:56 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

OMGoodness Bodiva! You are doing 5x more than the rest of us together! And with a bad back! I too have that. 5 herniated discs and they said that isnt the bad part (!!) it is the stenosis so I suppose at some point I also may need surgery. I wish you well. It has come a long way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Thank you for the wishes and prayers. I have peace about my decision to have the procedure. I'm been praying for relief and healing and if this is way so be it. My Heavenly Father is the Great Physician, He will heal me, and He will work through the scientific community and will cast out the virus.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2020, 10:17 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Photos from anyone!?
I’ve been doing a foove (made up word for fake move) for a looong time in the entire house. Foove because moving is often when people get rid of a lot, but we’re not moving. I’m pretending we’re downsizing to about half the space to keep me somewhat ruthless.
Also sorted, purged and re-organized my dies, started on the stamps.
Love it! Great job you!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 04:27 AM   #27  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At first I made birthday cards as I was out of them. I made so many that I got burned out so I started scrapbooking. One scrapbook is done but only covers 5 months. LOL. It's nice to look on the past and remember what it was like to go out, be with friends and family. Don't think we'll see that for another year.

So glad everyone is finding their mojo to do new things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 05:58 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

I am inspired by all the energy and ideas here. I am a cardmaker and I learn so much from everyone. I gathered boxes of UFOs (unfinished objects), WIPs (works in progress), samples and leftovers from classes, swaps, challenges and crop giveaways. Stuff accumulates and multiplies overnight. I sorted into individual project kits and added what was needed to finish. Now I can craft more efficiently and the abundance of "things to do" isn't so overwhelming to creativity. I cut cardfronts off cards I have received and adhered new cardbases and added envelopes. I gift cards to folks I know will use them. Non-profits and service organizations appreciate donations of cards to be sent to their benefactors. A recipe box or other attractive container filled with cards is great for basket auction fundraisers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Reorganized 3 times and still can't find supplies, joined Kit and Clower coloring classes and bought more copic''s and the right kind of paper for the class.

And on my 3rd stamp purge since the beginning of the year.

Now going through the upstairs for a city wide yard sale on Aug 8th.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 01:51 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

I have outgrown my stamp storage. I am going to do a small purge and reorganization this week. I need to get my WIP's in order. I have been dabbling so much during Covid. One day I will dabble on one WIP, next day dabble on another. I think I have eight dabbling projects on my desk right now, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 04:19 AM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I hear you with the dabbling, DeeAnn. But then I love the days when I take all the pieces and have a bunch of cards whipped up in no time. Good luck with your destash!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 05:20 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Good to know "dabbling" is a thing. It is not a lack of concentration. It is creative flow!
GramT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 08:59 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope it's ok to jump in here.

The covid thing is just stressful, as we all know, and my state the cases are just exploding. Wearing a mask is challenging for me at least, (we are so hot here, 90s and heat index of over 100) but, I see the need for it because I have underlying conditions.

Honestly, I don't know what I would be like without paper crafting, it helps to keep some normalcy in my day and a way of expression too .

I did do some reorganizing in my craft room too, and a good thorough cleaning. Have you ever kept stamps or items that you don't use or just don't like? Yes, I had a whole bag that I shared with a few friends.

I think for me I tend to reorganize when I am stressed and then comes creativity. I have been watching quite a bit of techniques on Youtube too. It's wonderful to watch it on the tv with the larger screen! So many great ideas from Jennifer McGuire and so many others, that makes me more enthusiastic. I am more inclined to really look through what I have to use and buy just a few new things. I think I am done with shopping though looking at ye old budget. LOL
Keep safe all and be crafty!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-12-2020, 10:53 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by hultenlk
View Post

I hear you with the dabbling, DeeAnn. But then I love the days when I take all the pieces and have a bunch of cards whipped up in no time. Good luck with your destash!

I think the older I get the more I enjoy dabbling, ROFL. When I was younger I would take a project and would not stop working on it until it was done. Now that I getting close to 50 I just enjoy working on something one day and then something else the next. I am so much more productive. I agree with you. It seems like the more dabbling I do the faster my projects come together when I need to do one from start to finish.

bgpunky- I hear you about reorganizing when stressed. It's my go to balm. My DH was considered essential early in Covid. We lost six people and we almost lost a baby. I was freaked, stressed out and so panicky.

I always do a big bulk shopping in Feb/Mar & Sept/Oct. I also prepare my home for Winter/Summer during that time. In our area we have wacky seasons with barely in Fall or Spring. I had to bulk buy during that time when everyone was out panic shopping. I looked like the toilet paper hoarder, lol. I also bulk buy any consumables I need for my art. I needed so much this year. Even though it was stressful and crazy I am still laughing about how I had to shop during this pandemic. It wasn't funny when I had to do it but it's funny to me now. I never ever thought I would say that during this terrible and stressful time in all our lives I could start laughing about things. I hope all of you will be able to find something amusing. Trust me I am not downplaying the virus. So many of you were in my rock when my loved ones passed. It's nice to laugh, dabble and have a new normalcy.

Now, that my room is all nice and stocked up I will look at one of my boxes and think "Why is that lid crooked?" Then realize all those new stamps I just shoved them in the box and somebody needs to reorganize. ROFL! My reorganization is making me laugh. I even played with those stamps during shut down and still shoved them in a box like a two year old throwing toys in her toybox, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes