Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-16-2020, 05:57 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wink Our craft room stash saves the day...again

How many times have you needed to fix something, do something etc at home and you head straight to your craft room to get what you need. Our husband's even come to us to borrow stuff because they know whatever it is we will likely have it in our stash.

Now once again we save the day as that bottle of alcohol, hand sanitiser, etc get pulled out of hiding to be used in ways WE hadn't intended. ;-)

... oh wait you mean they aren't craft supplies, are you sure :lol:

I hope this moment of light hearted sarcasm made you smile today, something we all need more of me thinks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #2  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

I actually made some hand sanitizer from my stash...an elderly neighbor was having anxiety...she is less anxious now
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 2,180 Posts

I gave my stash Hand sanitizer to my parents, but I was able to find a large bottle afterwards so we are both set. I still have my alcohol, but I had just bought an extra bottle last month. And don't forget the rubber gloves saved for mixed media projects!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 06:11 AM   #4  
Mad Swapper

Good for y'all for sharing those precious "stamping" supplies.

How about some stories from the past, I'll start:

A few years ago a squirrel chewed a hole in one corner of our roof and we needed to cover it up until someone could come fix it. Quilt batting, wire mesh, a large plastic bag I was saving for messy projects and my heavy duty staple gun and we were good.

Of course I had to make sure hubby remembered to thank me and my messy room for saving the day.... and yes I razed him about it over and over again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 06:46 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,910 Likes on 2,180 Posts

My Tim holtz tiny attacher has saved a bag of French fries from freezer burn!

Last edited by muscrat; 03-18-2020 at 05:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 08:23 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Yes - very handy that we already had alcohol and hand sanitizer, for sure, and thanks for the smile...

I've used a lot of my "crafty stuff" for many purposes other than what they were intended for - in my previous work as a decorator/finisher and around my home. DH has used paint pens and markers from my stash many times for work. I replace them because they get trashed, but it still saves him because he usually needs it "right now", and I can wait. Tape, staple gun, glue gun, various small tools, notepads, binders - yeah, he likes to shop my room from time to time, lol...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 10:15 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

For some reason my art room is my DH's garage! It is more fun to steal my things than use his.

I am taking "the social distance" pretty seriously. In bad timing award DH & I are doing a huge remodel of our bathroom and kitchen. The bathroom needs to be done because last year's horrible Spring flooding caused damage and we have a mold problem now. It's not big but we don't want to get it bigger.

I have to keep running back to Menards for things. Last night DH broke a tile in our shower replacing the fixtures. I said he could use my tile that I use for a palette, lol. I was going to sacrifice my tile for the greater good.

We needed a new pipe. Then DH found that the socket for where our new dishwasher will be was 70 years old. That's not a joke. We had to go to Menards so we wouldn't have a flood and fire. We picked up more tile. DH was getting six. I told him to pick up ten since if we had extra left over I would use them for my art.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 05:15 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

When my son was little it didn't matter that I had purchased him is own pencils etc. His response was usually, "no mommy, yours are better", it was true but he wasn't supposed to be able to figure that out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 07:01 AM   #9  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't have a hubby to dig in my stash, but if I did I bet he'd be using my crop-a-dile. That sucker can poke holes through just about anything. I last used it for an extra hole in my leather belt and have also used it on plastic items for various reasons such as holes for a new handle on a broken bucket.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 03:46 PM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My son had to do an art project with "found" materials around the house to represent himself this year. Apparently when the class got the criteria they all groaned and turned around to complain that the assignment wasn't fair, his mother had everything!

He made a Harry Potter Christmas tree, with each ornament including a quote. He was able to make a dozen ornaments from my supplies. The class wanted to complain about the stamps used to decorate one side of the tags but they had been used for his brother's Valentines. Then they complained about the paper but it was all from scraps. The ribbon was saved from various gifts and flower bouquets. The baubles I'd saved from the side of the road. The grommets on the tags were being thrown out from my school because no one could close them. I wish all art projects were that easy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:21 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
How many times have you needed to fix something, do something etc at home and you head straight to your craft room to get what you need. Our husband's even come to us to borrow stuff because they know whatever it is we will likely have it in our stash.

Now once again we save the day as that bottle of alcohol, hand sanitiser, etc get pulled out of hiding to be used in ways WE hadn't intended. ;-)

... oh wait you mean they aren't craft supplies, are you sure :lol:

I hope this moment of light hearted sarcasm made you smile today, something we all need more of me thinks.
I'm glad I have them on hand and pulled them from my stash. I even came across 2 boxes of nitrile gloves that I use for alcohol ink techniques.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 PM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

When I need something for my craft projects or supplies I'll shop my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Like I use: instant coffee to stain craft paper, mica eye shadow and unscented hair spray to seal it on projects, dental brushes for alcohol ink, Murphy's Oil Soap to clean gel plates and brayers and to clean up acrylic messes; and good ole' Dawn to clean stamps with plastic pot scrubbers...

Last edited by Bohodiva; 03-18-2020 at 06:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
When I need something for my craft projects or supplies I'll shop my kitchen and bathroom cabinets. Like I use: instant coffee to stain craft paper, mica eye shadow and unscented hair spray to seal it on projects, dental brushes for alcohol ink, Murphy's Oil Soap to clean gel plates and brayers and to clean up acrylic messes; and good ole' Dawn to clean stamps with plastic pot scrubbers...
So do I!!!!! I swear my room resembles a garage, pantry and bathroom cabinet, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2020, 05:06 PM   #14  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

My husband has used my Goo Gone a number of times.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:55 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 345 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

I'm glad I have them on hand and pulled them from my stash. I even came across 2 boxes of nitrile gloves that I use for alcohol ink techniques.
I've bought nitrile gloves for hygiene reasons in the current situation. When this is over, they will be going in my craft room for fun purposes, I've been meaning to get to know my alcohol inks better :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have given out car kits that included disposable gloves from my stash.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 10:49 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think my husband has used some of my tools more then I have. "What happened to that heating gun you used to use?", "Can I borrow that tiny flat head screw driver you have"?, "Where do you keep that strong glue you use?", Do you still have that fine sand paper square?", Hey hon, do you happen to have sizzers that are really pointy?", "What happened to that tape that's sticky on both sides?" I could go on and on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 01:48 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

DH has availed of both my Crop-a-Dile and WRMK hardware to make improvements on motorcycle boots. He's used my springy Fiskars eyelet setter to lightly texture the surface when repairing a leak in his motorcycle petrol tank. And I know he's used my larger ball styluses for something, I just can't remember what. He borrowed my hemostat/reverse action tweezers often enough that I bought him his own. I will admit that when he needed a small hammer for watch repairs last weekend, he knew that his one was in fact in one of the many jars on my desk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

My husband has borrowed so many of my craft items that he now has his own trimmer, score tape, circle punches, Un-Du, and Tim Holtz scissors. But to me fair about this, I have several of his hemostats, tweezers, and bandage scissors from him since he is retired and doesn't need these anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2020, 02:42 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillisView Post
I think my husband has used some of my tools more then I have. "What happened to that heating gun you used to use?", "Can I borrow that tiny flat head screw driver you have"?, "Where do you keep that strong glue you use?", Do you still have that fine sand paper square?", Hey hon, do you happen to have sizzers that are really pointy?", "What happened to that tape that's sticky on both sides?" I could go on and on.
That's my husband, lol. Does your DH ask for you to buy those things for him? My DH took my little polymer clay tools because they are excellent for working on electronics. I had to order another set, lol. I have more instances where DH has more stash than I do because he just had to have his own.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2020, 06:33 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Ladies, when your DHs complains about you spending money on craft supplies remind them how they come in handy when they (DHs) need to borrow from your crafty stashes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 08:16 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep...mine just recently asked if I had a bone folder (well, duh!) in order to separate and take apart a liner in his car...lol!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 09:37 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Wow I didn’t know Murphy’s oil soap for gel plate. Will have to order some. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 10:52 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
Wow I didn’t know Murphy’s oil soap for gel plate. Will have to order some. Thanks
I add some to a spray bottle w/water and spray my gel plate, and I fill a small wash tub with MO soap and water to clean stencils and brayers, just let them -soak for a few minutes before scrubbing with a non abrasive sponge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 11:01 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Don't forget plain old vinegar is a natural disinfectant too, I use it for all my cleaning needs and it's dirt cheap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 11:02 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 108 Likes on 70 Posts

My husband made me a har opener for the pantry. To make the grippy part, he "stole" some of the cling rubber scraps from my SU stamps. I thought it was quite a clever device and now I don't have to go to him to open tight jars any more! Win-win.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2020, 11:05 AM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

My hubby has used my cropodile to punch an extra hole in his leather belt and when his metal zipper stuck I lent him my Cutter Glide Blade Treatment products to coat it and it fixed it perfectly. He also used my Elmers Glue to glue wood bits and my Fabritac and Glossy Accents for other things ?????
I tell him to bring them back as soon as he is done in case I need them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

My husband has asked for my paper piercer, some glue that will work on X, really pointy scissors, my paper trimmer, and I'm pretty dang sure there are other things as well.

In high school, my daughters projects came out awesome! She was definitely happy to have access to the many toys and such in my craft room.
Reply With Quote Likes