Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside of card??

Hi everyone! I'm fairly new to the stamping and card making world and had a question.i feel like the front of my card always looks so pretty and polished but then the inside..ah!!! Any tips for the phrases or sentiments inside of a card? Any stamps sets worth buying? Or does anyone type up something and glue it in? So lost... Haha
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-09-2020, 08:20 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi
Insides can be fun too...you can always carry over a strip of the same DP for along the bottom, or use a small die cut that goes with the topic, or stamp....like a small flower. You could a light color blend to add a little umpf behind the sentiment...many choices.

I use you tube all the time for this kind of search:
Gina K is a big industry name

I found a bunch of vids. Just ask it for HT decorate the inside of a card.

Did you have something in mind?

Sentiments...well... you can always use standards like Happy Birthday.
There are some large general sets out there with a wide variety of sentiments that could go inside or out.

Some companies make what they call "insides"....

Papertrey Ink calls them Inside Outs. One for the outside, one for the inside.

Altenew calls them beautiful insides.

DRS has a lot of longer sentiments that would good for an inside.

Or you could continue a theme...let's say it is a happy birthday card...and you have a critter marching along carrying a cake....on the inside if you have a small cake slice stamp for a corner....kwim? Beach scene cover, beach ball inside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2020, 04:06 AM   #3  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I handwrite a lot in my cards so I skip stamping sentiments inside, but I do decorate the inside. I stamp the same images as on the front of the card, or other ones in the same stamp set. I also will do what wavejumper suggested above and glue an extra strip of patterned paper in the inside. This is a great trick if you have a leftover strip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-10-2020, 01:00 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The inside (for me) is generally for a handwritten note and sometimes a stamped sentiment, but for adding a little harmony, the sky’s the limit. I often put something small inside the card that plays nice with what’s on the front. It might be a small stamp from the same set, part of a larger stamp (stamping off an inside card edge with scrap paper underneath the card), a small die cut or part of a die cut adhered off the edge and using scissors to cut the overhang off.

Sometimes it’s just a few enamel dots if I used them on the front. It’s a touch of continuity, not the main event. 

If the inside has a pocket for a gift card, I decorate more heavily. 

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 03-10-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:03 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

The inside (for me) is generally for a handwritten note and sometimes a stamped sentiment, but for adding a little harmony, the sky’s the limit. I often put something small inside the card that plays nice with what’s on the front. It might be a small stamp from the same set, part of a larger stamp (stamping off an inside card edge with scrap paper underneath the card), a small die cut or part of a die cut adhered off the edge and using scissors to cut the overhang off.

Sometimes it’s just a few enamel dots if I used them on the front. It’s a touch of continuity, not the main event.

If the inside has a pocket for a gift card, I decorate more heavily.

Beth

I'm like you. The inside of my cards are for handwriting my message as well as a stand-in for a letter. Often I will stamp just one small image that coordinates with the front in one of the corners, but mostly, it is just blank.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:41 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I try to find a sentiment befitting the occasion. (I used to stay away from sentiments too, working on getting main images. But there comes a time, you will want sentiments!)

I like to do a lot of encouragement cards, so just an encouraging sentiment fits nicely for off-season occasions. I sign my cards, but I like to keep the writing minimal! If I want to write a longer note, I write it on note paper/stationary paper & slip it inside the card, or use it for padding when mailing! Some cards might have rhinestones or some kind of embellishment that needs that extra padding. I don't necessarily want EVERYONE who enters the house to read my personal notes, nor do I think the recipient wants everyone to know their business, & those who want to display my cards feel more free to display them too.

I am wanting to work on learning Calligraphy too, which helps in creating your own sentiments & applying them to your card!

And don't forget to stamp part of your main image inside your card for added interest! Don't feel like you need to color it in either! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post
I try to find a sentiment befitting the occasion. (I used to stay away from sentiments too, working on getting main images. But there comes a time, you will want sentiments!)

I like to do a lot of encouragement cards, so just an encouraging sentiment fits nicely for off-season occasions. I sign my cards, but I like to keep the writing minimal! If I want to write a longer note, I write it on note paper/stationary paper & slip it inside the card, or use it for padding when mailing! Some cards might have rhinestones or some kind of embellishment that needs that extra padding. I don't necessarily want EVERYONE who enters the house to read my personal notes, nor do I think the recipient wants everyone to know their business, & those who want to display my cards feel more free to display them too.

I am wanting to work on learning Calligraphy too, which helps in creating your own sentiments & applying them to your card!

And don't forget to stamp part of your main image inside your card for added interest! Don't feel like you need to color it in either! ;)<3

If the design allows, and if often does, I will put the greeting on the front. In the cases where it doesn't then it goes on the inside and I write above it and below it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Default messages

I always type up a sentiment and attach it with a small piece of tape to the inside of the card so the recipient can remove the sentiment easily and reuse the card when sending a greeting to one of their friends.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2020, 10:40 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I have a couple of books that have neat sentiments and verses in them. I also google specific occasions sentiments and find verses and poems there. I copy them, using my word processor and design it to fit the card. I then print it out on 65 lb. card stock and trim it to fit the card. You can always skip the word processing part and just hand write it on cardstock. I like finishing it with a small stamped image on the facing page of the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 03:02 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet n Sassy stamps has some great stamps they call "innies". I also got a set from Anna Griffin that has nice sentiments for the inside & outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2020, 12:45 PM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A small design on the edge is wonderful, and leave the inside blank for now. I have a stash of pretty cards with no writing. When I need a specific sentiment, I stamp it then, or hand write a message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 08:32 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Welcome to the wonderful world of card making! I never stamp a sentiment inside...always computer generate a verse/sentiment and then add a handwritten note. Pinterest is great for find all sorts of verses and keeping a database of them! Always sign my name and the year on the back too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 10:04 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 654 Likes on 439 Posts

I would also like to welcome you to the world of stamping. So, on my cards I do both: stamped sentiments and computer generated. I like the stamped look better because the ink colors are more vivid then the printer ink, but sometimes a card needs it own special sentiment inside and there isn't a stamp available. Whether I stamp or computer print, I almost always use a separate piece of paper that I adhere to the inside -- even on my white cards. I think it sort of balances out the weight from the layers on the front. If I stamp directly onto the card front then I stamp directly inside as well.

All the stamp companies have sentiment stamp sets and many sets have sentiments along with the images. I started with basics: happy birthday, thank-you, etc. but as all things with this hobby have now accumulated a bunch of sentiment stamps for different occasions, The wonderful thing is you can always computer generate if you don't want to invest in stamps. Happy stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

If the body of the card is a dark color, I put a white or lighter color panel inside and tend to decorate the panel. Lately I have been using the same or coordinating stamps to make faint images on the insides (after stamping off on scrap paper several times). And don't forget to decorate the envelopes with matching stamps for a polished look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2020, 02:07 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Hi
Insides can be fun too...you can always carry over a strip of the same DP for along the bottom, or use a small die cut that goes with the topic, or stamp....like a small flower. You could a light color blend to add a little umpf behind the sentiment...many choices.

I use you tube all the time for this kind of search:
Gina K is a big industry name

I found a bunch of vids. Just ask it for HT decorate the inside of a card.

Did you have something in mind?

Sentiments...well... you can always use standards like Happy Birthday.
There are some large general sets out there with a wide variety of sentiments that could go inside or out.

Some companies make what they call "insides"....

Papertrey Ink calls them Inside Outs. One for the outside, one for the inside.

Altenew calls them beautiful insides.

DRS has a lot of longer sentiments that would good for an inside.

Or you could continue a theme...let's say it is a happy birthday card...and you have a critter marching along carrying a cake....on the inside if you have a small cake slice stamp for a corner....kwim? Beach scene cover, beach ball inside.

Thanks for introducing Gina K. I'd never seen those videos before but have now found lots of great ideas! Of course, she makes it look very easy, but it's definitely inspirational.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:13 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

There is a set from Spellbinders called "Inside Out" and it is my go-to for inside sentiments.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Hello Sparkle 89! I normally don't have a lot of personal words to write inside a card. I make cards for 'defined' occasions, so my cards all have a target. I have some birthday sentiment sets that match a statement for the front of a card, but I'm more likely to combine sentiments from different sets.
I make a lot of cards for our nursery workers at church, so they all have an encouraging quote and a scripture. I create what I want with Word program, with lots of choices of fonts, sometimes a word or phrase for the front of the card, and use the same font for the inside message. If I use a stamp for the front, I use matching or coordinating font for the inside.

I make lots of cards for now-teen grandkids and take quotes from Pinterest and other placed to print on cardstock for front or inside cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #18  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Wavejumper....Thank you so much for linking Gina K.'s video for the inside of the cards! Her video really inspired me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2020, 03:30 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Papertrey has great stamps for inside of cards as stated. Love them.
Reply With Quote Likes