Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I am in paper trimming H-E-Double Hockey Sticks!!!

I am super frustrated with paper trimmers.... or myself.  I am not sure which is the problem :-).  I started to talk about it in another post, but thought I would complain in a new post....

I have two Fiskars trimmers.  One is a pretty old slim trimmer with the sliding blade and the fold out arm for larger paper.  The other is a small guillotine trimmer that is 5" wide and about 8 inches long.  Most often cards bases and panels are crooked, one or both.  Every now and then, something comes out straight.  I thought maybe I need a better trimmer, so I recently ordered the Tonic guillotine trimmer that is 6" wide and 8 1/2" long, which I thought was great because it would be easier to cut the 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" measurements.  With the 5" wide trimmer, I was using the sliding blade trimmer to cut the stock in half so I could cut at 5 1/2".  Not too crazy about the Tonic trimmer. Same problems!  So it can't be three trimmers that are inaccurate.  Must be me, right?  But I have tried using the paper up against the bumpers, I have tried using the grid marks.  I make sure to hold the guard down to to hold the cardstock in place, and still get inaccurate cuts.  And once in a while, it comes out straight.

I have also considered that the cardstock may already be crooked upon purchase, so after I cut it in half, I would trim all four sides slightly to try to square it up before proceeding.  Hit or a miss.

I am not sure what to do.  I thought about abandoning making my own card bases and buy them pre-made, but I would still have to contend with cutting panels.  If I can't get accurate cuts I might as well hang it up.  I am contemplating sending the Tonic trimmer back and tempted to try yet another trimmer. 

Any thoughts and suggestions most appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 03:42 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

No advice on trimmers - I don't know of any that get good results for everyone. 

What are you using to score your card base? Maybe the score is slightly off? Some of my customers used to find it difficult to hold the paper in place and get a straight score...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 04:19 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

I, too, am frustrated right now.  I cut the paper on either my new SU! trimmer or my new WRMK tool in one and get card bases that are just a hair off after scoring.  I've tried scoring using the trimmers and a scoring board and the results are the same.  I'm hoping the card recipients do not notice!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 07:32 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Most of the cardstock that I have purchased is slightly "off" true 8 1/2" x 11", so I always trim it down to true measurements before moving on to cut what I actually want to end up with. This has solved this particular issue for me. In other threads, bjeans has suggested that standing up and looking down at the whole process makes it easier to see if you have everything butted up properly and held in place properly, etc.

As far as trimmers, my Xacto guillotine trimmer is the best trimmer investment I've made. It's huge(ish) and hideous, but I get accurate, clean cuts every time and I never have to replace blades because the blade is self-sharpening. There are several Xacto options out there - mine is the one with the laser because I wanted the guard that also holds the paper in place rather than the one with just a wire guard - too much "wiggle room", which translates to "error" at my house. I took the batteries out, though, because I found the laser thing annoying. The one I've linked to looks like a re-make - mine has a maple platform, and this one has a gray platform. Slightly prettier, and probably easier to read. There are also markings on the platform for common sizes and several diagonals, so that's handy, too.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I too use a guillotine cutter and have found the following tips useful:

1. I always score my card stock and fold it before I cut it. That way if the cuts are off slightly the cut sides will match and be less noticeable. If you cut first then fold, one side will be wonky and its hard to cut a sliver off without ruining the whole piece.

2. I found when using the guillotine I wasn't always putting the arm all the way up in the proper position. If the arm is even a millimeter in the down position the paper doesn't get placed on the base completely square.

3. The grid and the ruler on my board are not accurate. They don't even match up. If I line my paper on the 5 inch grid on the base of the cutter, the paper will be butted against the 5 1/8 mark on the ruler at the top. So I don't use them. I usually use a metal ruler and make a little tick mark on my paper where I want the cut to be and line that tick mark with the cutting blade. This works great if I'm only cutting one sheet of card stock but if I'm doing multiples that would take forever so I use Tip #4 for that.

4. Becca Feeken uses a 45 degree triangle (video below) with her paper cutter so that there are 2 straight edges to butt the paper against. This is especially useful if your paper is a scrap piece and less then 2 inches wide. And when I cut multiples I place the triangle where I want my cuts to be and then tape the triangle to the base of the cutter and I can cut a bunch of pieces of card stock without having to measure each one.

Last edited by August29; 02-12-2020 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
bobbijl (10-19-2022)
Old 02-12-2020, 05:48 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

You are not alone. I would guess that trimmers are the bane of many of our existence. I certainly see (and experience) the most problems with them of any tool we use as a group. 

Thank you for that vid! I have that cutter and a triangle (someplace) I will try that. I find that that the arm on the cutter seems loose to me. 
I have never found a cutter that works for me in the "affordable range" for me. I was really disappointed with the small tonic guillotine that Jennifer McGuire uses constantly. Same thing. 

Some seasoned vets-have gone with the rototrims (abt 250-300) which are more, but seem to be a serious piece of equipment that should last forever; but you need to have the room for them. (ie look at Lydia's blog Understanding blue at the supply list-it is almost always in there) 

Bjeans uses one that is about 100 she likes. 

One thing that has helped me is that after I score, I fold over and line up the corners of the card and I force the fold with my bone folder so it matches up. If it is just a smidge off, it isn't really a problem and the score still helps me. 

I will say this: I have started to notice that recently JM and other big bloggers have slightly off layers at times. I don't know if it is bc they laid it off, or the paper is off. (she was getting Kinko to cut her paper for her as she uses so much) I don't particularly care, just saying we are not alone.  This is just one of those things that always catches my eye and makes me nuts in my own work. I am watching JM lay the layer and I am saying "no no! straighten it out!" She has a very sharp detail eye so I am always surprised when that happens but she isn't looking at it straight on either due to the camera. She isn't the only one.

So it may not be you at all.  

Last edited by wavejumper; 02-12-2020 at 05:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2020, 09:56 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I find that the card stock might be straight, but when it's scored it can end up wonky if the score line isn't exact..or the pressure on the bone folder is off. I cut my card, then score. Then I lightly fold and butt the cut side of the folded card up against the left top edge on my scoreboard before I carefully press down with my bone folder. When I do that, it's almost always nearly exact. I use my scoring board corners to help make sure the card edges are all square.
Hope that makes sense?
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 06:00 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Another option for cutting card bases is to have your local office supply (OfficeMax/Depot, Kinko's) cut your cardstock horizontally or vertically which is a tip from Jennifer McGuire. They charge approx .50 a cut and they can cut a ream at a time. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2020, 07:11 PM   #9  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I still love my Fiskars "Original Craft Rotary Paper Trimmer" It's got a big platform so I can cut up to 12" paper. I bought it years ago at Michael's with a 50% off coupon, and have only replaced the blades and cutting bar a few times. I have a cutting and scoring table so I always stand up for these processes. I can see when I set the paper on the cutter if it's 'square' or if I need to trim edges before making real cuts.
I have seen a big difference in the 'squareness' of cardstock in that the better brands are square and Michael's and Joann's house brands are not. You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2020, 08:42 AM   #10  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am cutting up to 100 times a day and I am meticulous with my cutter.  It is a love/hate relationship with my big cutter.  My TH guillotine small one is now all wonky again.  So frustrating.  I just purchased the newest stamping up cutter to see what all the fuss is about.   lol

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Another option for cutting card bases is to have your local office supply (OfficeMax/Depot, Kinko's) cut your cardstock horizontally or vertically which is a tip from Jennifer McGuire. They charge approx .50 a cut and they can cut a ream at a time. 

Sometimes they cut it wonkily. It can depend on the person or the machine I guess? Others have reported that too. But at least we can’t blame ourselves then! 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 06:49 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

And Hobby Lobby's paper is a tad longer than 11"........no matter what I used to fold my card in half one side was always a bit longer.  I came on here and took a look at other postings and was so happy to see I wasn't losing my mind....!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Kathy, it could be your trimmers, paper, you or a combo. Or like Karen said, from scoring/folding. That’s where I’ll have a problem if there is one, though the card can then be folded and squared using a Carl trimmer that clamps paper down and can cut through both layers if needed.

Without watching you or testing your trimmers it’s impossible to know. 

I have the Carl that cuts through lots of CS at once, which is the go-to. For some cutting or at a class one of two Fiskars is used. Occasionally I’ll use a Tim small guillotine for strips but it’s my least fave. A newer Creative Memories is in the mix. They all work. One Fiskars with three holes on the left to fit into a binder I had before I began card making! 

A few things to check to eliminate user error: 
- Stand up or make sure you’re high enough to be directly above the trimmer. 
- Hold the paper so it won’t move even a hair.
- Make sure you’re not inadvertently pushing the blade sideways. Think straight down.

If you have an LSS near you, the owner might check your trimmers. I did that with a die set to check if it was the dies or my manual machine. (It was the dies.)

Good luck!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 01:05 PM   #14  
Inking Addict

Thanks for all of this great information and suggestions!!! I am glad to know that it isn't just me struggling so much LOL.  I just have to keep on going, and on the occasion when things do cut square, to pay attention to what I did that made it work. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

I did try yet another trimmer today and debating on if I like it.  It is a Fiskars with the sliding blade, but it the blade is attached to a long bar to help keep it straight.  It also has the scoring attachment.  On first try, it seems more accurate than what I have, but when cutting through something fairly heaving like the Neenah Solar White Classic Crest, it feels like it really drags through the card stock.  Cuts much more smoothly with a lighter stock.  I am not crazy about the scoring attachment, but I have only just tried it a bit today and need to experiment more.  However, the 5" wide Fiskars guillotine that I have, although perhaps not accurate (jury still out), I find it cuts heavier stock pretty well.  I have never used a rotary trimmer.  Does anyone who has rotary trimmers find that it cuts heavier stock better than guillotine or sliding blades? 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 02:04 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

It depends? It depends on the brand plus our individual comfort level. Six people, seven opinions. ;) 

Respectfully, I might not worry too much about which one cuts through the paper more easily; they all should do that well. Maybe the Fiskars you used had an old blade? Or could you have been applying more pressure than was needed? That was actually the one I was thinking you might like since the bar is stable. 

The most important thing is whether one cuts straight for you. And do you use a scoreboard like the Scor-Pal? Because eliminating thinking about that function again could let you concentrate on one single thing: straight cutting, which can drive one bonkers. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 02:10 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Tonic trimmer, but if you aren't used to using a guillotine trimmer it may take a little to get used to. If you are using a scoring board or tool to fold your cards that could be the culprit. I find that making sure the front and back panels of the card base are even before burnishing my card after folding really makes a difference. I hope that makes sense.

Stacy

Last edited by love5523; 02-15-2020 at 05:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 04:07 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyCichView Post
I did try yet another trimmer today and debating on if I like it.  It is a Fiskars with the sliding blade, but it the blade is attached to a long bar to help keep it straight.  It also has the scoring attachment.  On first try, it seems more accurate than what I have, but when cutting through something fairly heaving like the Neenah Solar White Classic Crest, it feels like it really drags through the card stock.  Cuts much more smoothly with a lighter stock.  I am not crazy about the scoring attachment, but I have only just tried it a bit today and need to experiment more.  However, the 5" wide Fiskars guillotine that I have, although perhaps not accurate (jury still out), I find it cuts heavier stock pretty well.  I have never used a rotary trimmer.  Does anyone who has rotary trimmers find that it cuts heavier stock better than guillotine or sliding blades? 
The sliding blade may be an actual single blade, where the rotary has the cutting blade all the way around. I have an old Fiskars (Looks kinda like the Scrapbooking Paper Trimmer on their website) It had the tiniest razor-type blade inset into the sliding thing which ran in the middle of a plastic bar. That bar could spread while I'm cutting and get a tiny bit wavy. I wanted something that would not wave so I got the big guy I listed above. YES the rotary cuts thicker paper better than the sliding blade....with a smoother edge. It cuts foam, cardboard, plastic. Everything I have needed. I do have to press a bit harder for thicker things, but that's to be expected.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 08:59 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Kathy, I use a Fiskars rotary cutter for all of my heavy weight card cutting, such as for card blanks. All of the sliding blade cutters that I have don't handle more than one layer of heavy cardstock, so I keep my rotary cutting trimmer out and available. Supposedly it will cut up to 20 sheets of text weight, and I can cut about 5 sheets of heavy card with it. I use my sliding cutters for lighter card stock, and individual sheets.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 07:31 AM   #20  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I've been using the same Fiskars purple sliding blade trimmer since I started scrapbooking and stamping over 18 years ago.  Here are some tips I can share:

1.  A lot of the paper being manufactured isn't cut straight to begin with.  I usually check it before I cut it and trim as necessary.
 2.  Some paper isn't cut true to size.
 3.  I always hold my paper in place while I cut.
 4.  I always push the blade up toward the top of the paper, which helps to keep the paper from moving.
 5.  Probably the most important tip of all is to not worry so much about things being perfect.  Unless you're selling your cards, the recipients probably won't notice (or care) if it isn't perfectly even or straight when it's folded.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 09:52 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was just me! I have several paper cutters. One big Dahle/Carl and it's fantastic but it takes up so much room! It's great for cutting a lot at a time and it's pretty accurate. However I got a CutterPillar Pro on a great sale at HL. I love it. It's 12x12 and it's really accurate. I take it to crops and events because it's lightweight too. I love the rotary self-sharpening blade.
However for my desk-work, I need something a little smaller. I mostly make cards and do a lot of trimming at my desk. I'd like to get an accurate cutter just for my desk. I currently have a fiskars rotary trimmer with a folding arm, but I am looking for something a little more accurate and convenient for desk work and little trimming. I think this is they tupe of cutter we all struggle with getting convenience and accuracy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 01:41 PM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Do you have a Carl or a Dahle? I love my Carl cutter. 

This little 9” Fiskars is really accurate for me, but note the size. I just use it for small pieces occasionally - like at my computer desk, which is where I die cut, I might cut scraps smaller to fit a die, or cut strips for strip cards while watching a video.

That said, sitting at a desk and cutting at the wrong angle - too low - can throw cuts off. Usually I use my Carl standing up at a trimmer table (adjustable Ikea legs). I’ve seen people sitting and unhappy with cuts but if they stand up they’re fine. 

Last edited by bjeans; 02-16-2020 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: Autospell changed Dahle to Dale
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2020, 03:22 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Do you have a Carl or a Dale? I love my Carl cutter. 

This little 9” Fiskars is really accurate for me, but note the size. I just use it for small pieces occasionally - like at my computer desk, which is where I die cut, I might cut scraps smaller to fit a die, or cut strips for strip cards while watching a video.

That said, sitting at a desk and cutting at the wrong angle - too low - can throw cuts off. Usually I use my Carl standing up at a trimmer table (adjustable Ikea legs). I’ve seen people sitting and unhappy with cuts but if they stand up they’re fine. 
I picked up one of these at Hobby Lobby with a coupon, so it was a really good buy! I got it on your recommendation but haven't taken it out of the package yet. I'm excited to give it a try, though!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:27 AM   #24  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Kathy, it could be your trimmers, paper, you or a combo. Or like Karen said, from scoring/folding. That’s where I’ll have a problem if there is one, though the card can then be folded and squared using a Carl trimmer that clamps paper down and can cut through both layers if needed.

Without watching you or testing your trimmers it’s impossible to know. 

I have the Carl that cuts through lots of CS at once, which is the go-to. For some cutting or at a class one of two Fiskars is used. Occasionally I’ll use a Tim small guillotine for strips but it’s my least fave. A newer Creative Memories is in the mix. They all work. One Fiskars with three holes on the left to fit into a binder I had before I began card making! 

A few things to check to eliminate user error: 
- Stand up or make sure you’re high enough to be directly above the trimmer. 
- Hold the paper so it won’t move even a hair.
- Make sure you’re not inadvertently pushing the blade sideways. Think straight down.

If you have an LSS near you, the owner might check your trimmers. I did that with a die set to check if it was the dies or my manual machine. (It was the dies.)

Good luck!

Last edited by janesprando; 02-18-2020 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: What is LSS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have multiple trimmers but I highly recommend the Heavy Duty Carl trimmers. If you card make a lot, they are well worth the investment! It locks the paper down so it cant move and has a magnetic locking guide to keep the edges straight. It is a little bigger, but worth the space as well. Rotary cutter always pleases me, as the blades last a long time. It is my main go to!
The 15":
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757429-REG/Carl_CUI72220_DC_220_15_Heavy_Duty_Rotary.html
or the 18":
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761678-REG/Carl_CUI72238_Green_Machine_Professional_Rotary.ht ml

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:29 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

Default The best trimmer was a StampinUp one but alas they no longer make it. So the next bes

Quote:

I am super frustrated with paper trimmers.... or myself.  I am not sure which is the problem :-).  I started to talk about it in another post, but thought I would complain in a new post....

I have two Fiskars trimmers.  One is a pretty old slim trimmer with the sliding blade and the fold out arm for larger paper.  The other is a small guillotine trimmer that is 5" wide and about 8 inches long.  Most often cards bases and panels are crooked, one or both.  Every now and then, something comes out straight.  I thought maybe I need a better trimmer, so I recently ordered the Tonic guillotine trimmer that is 6" wide and 8 1/2" long, which I thought was great because it would be easier to cut the 5 1/2" x 4 1/4" measurements.  With the 5" wide trimmer, I was using the sliding blade trimmer to cut the stock in half so I could cut at 5 1/2".  Not too crazy about the Tonic trimmer. Same problems!  So it can't be three trimmers that are inaccurate.  Must be me, right?  But I have tried using the paper up against the bumpers, I have tried using the grid marks.  I make sure to hold the guard down to to hold the cardstock in place, and still get inaccurate cuts.  And once in a while, it comes out straight.

I have also considered that the cardstock may already be crooked upon purchase, so after I cut it in half, I would trim all four sides slightly to try to square it up before proceeding.  Hit or a miss.

I am not sure what to do.  I thought about abandoning making my own card bases and buy them pre-made, but I would still have to contend with cutting panels.  If I can't get accurate cuts I might as well hang it up.  I am contemplating sending the Tonic trimmer back and tempted to try yet another trimmer. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:31 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Default just like you until....

I too had the same issues as you. I bought several different trimmers without any improvement. I searched and asked, searched and asked. I found the one I wanted, but it was over $100! Then one black Friday I found it on sale for $45 and I jumped at that deal! I have been happy ever since with my Fiskars Procision trimmer. It has all kinds of advantages. It is large enough to cut 12 x 12 accurately, but folds neatly in half for smaller projects. It is sturdy and steady however you use it. The blade is a self sharpening rotary blade and after about 5 years is as good as ever. I know there are lots to choose from, and several new one's since I had mine, but I would let anyone tell me theirs is better than this one. BTW - you can cut chipboard or several layers at a time, too! Now you can pick them up quite cheaply!

Last edited by Julieblake; 02-18-2020 at 08:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:32 AM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

I am having a problem replying—so sorry if this is duplicated!

BJeans —- what is LSS?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Like gregsgurl, I have an Xacto guillotine, 12 X 12 that I bought years ago (over 20) at an office supply clearance store. I love my cutter! Note again- over 20 years use and still going strong. If I get a little off, folding after I score, then I shave it straight with the Xacto. I am very fussy about not using anything flimsy for a card base, so my go-to is minimum 110# cs (sometimes 120#, or even 134#). The Xacto handles it all. The only learning curve at all is learning to use a little pressure to the left when cutting, although I agree with an earlier poster that you have to be sure the arm is all the way up. With all the solid and dotted lines, it's way easy to line up your cuts. Yes, some cs is not perfectly 8 1/2 X 11, but I use the lines and my cuts are exact. Yes, it has a footprint that takes up space, but I find it worth the space to have a tool that gets used all the time and does it's job. I have NEVER had good results with a sliding blade trimmer, and my former SU demo who used one always made miscut layers, so I decided a trimmer is NOT for me. (And, yes, I always stand when making cuts, just like I stand when layering, or positioning a wood mount stamp- perspective is important to doing a good job!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:34 AM   #30  
Cardstock Collector

Several friends have the Cutterpede (?) and are in love with it! The best feature, according to each of them, is the full length light that shows exactly where you are cutting. It’s oversized 12x12 and has a rotary type blade. My favorite trimmers are my Fiskars, even though I own Creative Memories, SU, Cricut and 3 guillotine cutters AND I have made trimming errors with all of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:40 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrulymaterialisticView Post
I have multiple trimmers but I highly recommend the Heavy Duty Carl trimmers. If you card make a lot, they are well worth the investment! It locks the paper down so it cant move and has a magnetic locking guide to keep the edges straight. It is a little bigger, but worth the space as well. Rotary cutter always pleases me, as the blades last a long time. It is my main go to!
The 15":
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/757429-REG/Carl_CUI72220_DC_220_15_Heavy_Duty_Rotary.html
or the 18":
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761678-REG/Carl_CUI72238_Green_Machine_Professional_Rotary.ht ml

I have the 12” and it’s my absolute go-to too. However, if needing to cut a narrow strip from an already narrow strip, it’s tricky or sometimes not possible, like for many types of trimmers. Then I turn to one of my other trimmers. The Carl lives on a trimmer table; it’s not really mean to be mobile, though it not all that heavy.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

i used to think it was just me too.  tried just about all of them and i, too, have a gullotine one and i still get things on a slant.  i've learned to just let it go because (1) rarely does anyone notice; (2) my mom used to yell at me because my head was always tilted and that i should hold it up straight so i chalk up my "slantiness" to that and (3) it adds character to your creation.  right now i use a PAPER STUDIO one.  i did find i like FUN STAMPERS JOURNEY one the best.  i rarely have trouble with that one. trust me... don't sweat the small stuff.  people appreciate that you took the time to make the card. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Trimmers

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
I am having a problem replying—so sorry if this is duplicated!

BJeans —- what is LSS?

Local Stamp Store
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 08:54 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Can't count the number of trimmers I've had over the years!  My old and new Tonics work well..not perfect, but close enough.  I've come to realize & make peace with "not perfect cards"...they ARE HANDMADE after all!  And in actuality, we are WAY too hard on ourselves...our recipients never notice as slightly wonky card or a layer not totally straight, etc.  Relax and enjoy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 09:29 AM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fiskars

I too bought the Tim Holtz guillotine trimmer (small one) for crops and don’t care a lot for it.

I use the Fiskar Procision rotary blade and find it cuts straighter than others that I’ve had. I do have to take my time and make sure the paper is straight against the edge and that the blade is pushed up (or down) to be sure it is not touching the paper while aligning.

Standing up definitely helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 11:36 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Default Trimmers

I love my stampinup trimmer. Best I’ve ever
Purchased FYI. Might try that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 12:20 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

I sent 2 Fiskars trimmers back as they were shredding the paper and not giving me clear cuts. (LOL! Fiskars suggested that I shop with a different company)  I had an old Carl Cutter that was not cutting straight and because of the life-time guarantee, they sent me a replacement.  I love it!  While I was waiting for the new Carl Cutter to arrive, I used this:

Marigold Paper Guillotine 12" Metal Base Plate Paper Trimmer Cutter (GL410)

It is unavailable on Amazon right now, but worth keeping your eye on.  It cuts several sheets and gives me a smooth edge.  There is a learning curve to using Guillotine cutters, but I can't add anything to the others remarks.

www.leslielarkin.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #38  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by leslielarkinView Post
I sent 2 Fiskars trimmers back as they were shredding the paper and not giving me clear cuts. (LOL! Fiskars suggested that I shop with a different company)  I had an old Carl Cutter that was not cutting straight and because of the life-time guarantee, they sent me a replacement.  I love it!  While I was waiting for the new Carl Cutter to arrive, I used this:

Marigold Paper Guillotine 12" Metal Base Plate Paper Trimmer Cutter (GL410)

It is unavailable on Amazon right now, but worth keeping your eye on.  It cuts several sheets and gives me a smooth edge.  There is a learning curve to using Guillotine cutters, but I can't add anything to the others remarks.

Now that’s funny (Fiskars comment)! I do think the “wire” type of trimmer has a learning curve too for some. And some get it instantly, some after a while, and for some it just isn’t meant to be. Same with guillotines. And people we dated. 

Beth

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 01:12 PM   #39  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't like most Fiskar tools and the cutter was horrible.  I use a guillotine that I bought at Staples or Office Depot that cuts 12" x 12" paper.  It used to light up but light doesn't work.  Just stick with a guillotine cutter and don't buy small - you will regret it in the long fun.  My X-Acto Guillotine has all of the fine lines you will need for all of your perfect measurement.  When putting the paper down on the Guillotine, the ruler holds it into place.
Reply With Quote Likes