Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2020, 06:49 AM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recommendations for paper trimmer/cutter for beginner?

Hello!

Anyone have any recommendations for a paper trimmer or cutter for cutting cardstock mainly? I just started in the cardmaking world and realized that I can never cut a straight line when I am looking to trim cardstock. Any recommendations would be helpful! ?Looking for something pretty affordable as I just need to cut one cardstock at a time! 

Thanks!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 07:37 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I personally love guillotine trimmers.  I have three different sizes and use them all.  Mine are all the Tonic brand and I believe that is who makes the Tim Holtz line now.  I think the mid-size one that cuts standard sized paper would be a good choice for you.  I can cut a tiny sliver of paper off something with any of mine and the best thing is that they are self sharpening.  Check JoAnns and Michaels for a coupon.....I think I got all of mine at JoAnns when they had free shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 08:02 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I have rotary, heavy duty rotary, guillotine and standard, and think I’d suggest a Fiskars. Despite the many I’ve used or own, Fiskars hasn’t let me down. 

Coupons are available at craft stores like Michaels. Here are the two I’d recommend, depending upon budget:

This one is on sale at JoAnn but can be found elsewhere, is on Jennifer McGuire’s “favorite things” list for trimmers, and the aluminum rail can keep you straight. It’s often quite a bit spendier:

I have this one, and while it’s not used that often since I mostly use a heavy duty one that cuts lots of sheets at once, it’s never let me down:

There’s a newer rotary trimmer from Creative Memories that would be more of an investment, but it’s quite nice and has different blades that store in the back, like deckle, scallop and scoring: 

And like rocky beta said, the Tim Holtz/Tonic guillotine trimmers come in different sizes and lots of people like them - also on the Jennifer M. fave list, though guillotine trimmers don’t tend to like me that much. (I have one for 8.5x11 paper.)

Enjoy - Beth

ETA: sorry about the long links - they still should work, but apparently there are a few bugs following an update here. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

just be sure to purchase as best that you can afford; I don't suggest rotary for a number of reasons -- including having to change out the blade quite often -- otherwise you have lots of jagged or unclean cut lines. The only rotary I would buy is a heavy duty one, i.e., carl, dahle. I also have the guillotine that I like but, again, make sure it is heavy duty. If you're not going to cut a lot of card stock, then a regular rotary would probably be okay. I have gone through so many rotary cutters and end up giving them away after about 6 mos. of use. just my opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 03:27 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Another recommendation for the Tim Holtz/Tonic guillotine cutters. I've got 2 sizes,  both bought back many years ago, before Tonic teamed up with Tim. Must be 10+ years old, and both still cut like a dream. Which, on one hand, is a nuisance, as I'd really like the new ones because of the Black handles,lol. I also have a CARL rotary cutter, with an assortment of fancy blades, but honestly find I only use it when cutting paper. It requires a lot more effort to cut than a guillotine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 06:28 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

I'm another one that would vote for a guillotine cutter. They are self-sharpening so you never have to replace the blade and I've never had one cut inaccurately (unless user error was involved). Every now and then I have to tighten the screw that attaches the blade to the base to ensure clean cuts along the entire length, but it's seriously so rare that it's a negligible detail.

I have a seriously hideous, bulky Xacto trimmer, but I love it. It has a laser option to show you where the cut will be, but I found it annoying so I took the batteries out...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 07:10 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just a thought - once someone was telling me how she could not get a straight cut with her trimmer. It turned out she was 1) sometimes using it on her lap, and 2) other times on her table, but wasn’t tall, so was not *over* the trimmer. 

If not getting a good cut, being over the trimmer is key. That means standing up, growing taller or using a shorter table, the latter two impossible (unless Alice) or difficult. 

Another issue may be moving the hand to the sideways - not so much to be noticeable, but enough. User error that Sue mentioned is a Real Thing. And we all have our favorite type or brand; one size does not fit all. 

Yesterday I grabbed my oldest trimmer, a little 9” Fiskars, because I was cutting notes to fit into die pockets at a crowded desk and didn’t want to keep getting up to go to the trimmer table. It made me smile - the cheapest little trimmer that fits into a binder (holes on the side) cut perfectly. 

The LSS near me has all types of trimmers and if the OP has an LSS near her, maybe they have different types and she can visit and try them out. Or come to my house - I have too many; it’s an addiction. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just received the SU trimmer and I love it.  It stays right at my desk and is so handy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I have an Xacto guillotine cutter, bought quite reasonably years ago at an office closeout store. I cannot cut straight with any of those sliding blade cutters, but I'm a PRO with my Xacto! Yes, it takes up room, but I've had it for at least 25 years and never had a problem with it- no replacing blades, no bad cuts. Buy quality and it saves you in the end.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really like the new stampin up cutter. the blades are a little bit bigger and last longer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 11:19 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Tonic brand trimmers are excellent!  Just recently purchased this smaller trimmer which I adore!  Tonic 808 8-1/2 inch guillotine paper trimmer. Recommended by Jennifer McGuire and was not impressed when I first got it...BUT this guy trims beautifully and cleanly...and SO easy to line up paper!  Only negative...won't cut large 12x12 paper.  I do have a larger Tonic guillotine one for that, but seldom use it now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 11:21 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Another vote for the Tonic guillotine.  I have the 12x6 version so I can cut larger papers but it isn’t too big to take along to crops.  I have noticed a big improvement in my card’s workmanship since switching to this cutter over a fiskars trimmer. My cuts are cleaner and square.

You do need to learn to hold down your paper firmly with the guide, but once you get in that habit it is pretty easy.  The fiskars does have the advantage of being able to see the exact cut line with the wire, but I haven’t gone back to it once in over a year.  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2020, 02:17 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Something else I'll mention in favour of the guillotine cutters- no replacement blade issues. As others have said, the blade sharpens itself in cutting. It was seeing another post about getting a replacement blade for a rotary cutter that is now discontinued made me mention this. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2020, 01:42 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Trimmer favorite

I recently bought the new Stampin' Up trimmer.  I like for the fact that it does an excellent job of making straight cuts. The extra-wide 7-3/4" cutting base and extendable 17" ruler accommodate large paper projects.  Also good is the ruler at the midpoint of the platform.  Best of all, the price is good at $25.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2020, 06:24 PM   #15  
Inking Addict

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am glad to see this post.  Paper trimming has been driving me mad!  I make my own card bases, and 9 out of 10 times, it is crooked, or my panel is crooked, or both lol.  Not sure if it is the trimmer or the user.  Very frustrating.  I have 2 Fiskars trimmers, one is with the sliding blade and the other is a guillotine 5" wide base.  I also wonder sometimes if my scoring tool is crooked... ???  It is an EK Success brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2020, 08:58 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparkle89View Post
Hello!

Anyone have any recommendations for a paper trimmer or cutter for cutting cardstock mainly? I just started in the cardmaking world and realized that I can never cut a straight line when I am looking to trim cardstock. Any recommendations would be helpful! ?Looking for something pretty affordable as I just need to cut one cardstock at a time! 

Thanks!!

Having a paper trimmer was essential for me because I can't cut a straight line with a ruler and Xacto knife, or with scissors. I know some people who are pros at using an Xacto knife but I still can't use one on paper. My first paper trimmer was a 9 inch trimmer by Fiskars and I still keep it in my crop bag. It was perfect for cutting card stock up to 8x11 (I would use it to make photo mats that were smaller than 9 inches), and for trimming my photos. Now I use it for small trimming jobs when card making. I had to get a larger one for 12x12 papers and I still went with Fiskars.  Fiskars trimmers tend to be readily available, and you can usually buy them at Michael's or JoAnns with a coupon to save money. They tend to have a small profile too, and can store in smaller spaces than some of the larger ones.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2020, 09:01 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockybetaView Post
I personally love guillotine trimmers.  I have three different sizes and use them all.  Mine are all the Tonic brand and I believe that is who makes the Tim Holtz line now.  I think the mid-size one that cuts standard sized paper would be a good choice for you.  I can cut a tiny sliver of paper off something with any of mine and the best thing is that they are self sharpening.  Check JoAnns and Michaels for a coupon.....I think I got all of mine at JoAnns when they had free shipping.

I've never seen a Tonic paper trimmer at Joanns or Michaels near me but they might be online. The guillotine trimmers are more accurate from what I understand, but are harder to store for me, and difficult to take with me when I craft away from home. A friend just gave me a Cricut trimmer for Christmas and I'm liking that one after my 13 inch Fiskars trimmer started cutting crooked.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyCichView Post
I am glad to see this post.  Paper trimming has been driving me mad!  I make my own card bases, and 9 out of 10 times, it is crooked, or my panel is crooked, or both lol.  Not sure if it is the trimmer or the user.  Very frustrating.  I have 2 Fiskars trimmers, one is with the sliding blade and the other is a guillotine 5" wide base.  I also wonder sometimes if my scoring tool is crooked... ???  It is an EK Success brand.

I have been using the Fiskars trimmers with sliding blade for years and years and always loved using it, but eventually they start to cut crooked. I don't know why that happens, unless the plastic slide guide starts to warp.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2020, 02:45 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathyCichView Post

I have been told in the past that often it can be that the cardstock itself isn't cut perfectly square at the manufacturers.  I found it can help if you have a 'T' ruler, or even a crafting mat with grid markings on, then you can check for square and trim as required.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2020, 04:14 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post

I have been using the Fiskars trimmers with sliding blade for years and years and always loved using it, but eventually they start to cut crooked. I don't know why that happens, unless the plastic slide guide starts to warp.
Karen

That is a great point.  Mine is pretty old, so perhaps it is time to replace it, maybe with something different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

I have been told in the past that often it can be that the cardstock itself isn't cut perfectly square at the manufacturers.  I found it can help if you have a 'T' ruler, or even a crafting mat with grid markings on, then you can check for square and trim as required.

I am going to try that. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2020, 04:15 PM   #22  
Inking Addict

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post

I am going to try that. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2020, 08:29 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I love my Fiskars paper trimmer. I have had it for years and just keep changing the blade every so often

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2020, 10:21 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default I'm a trimmer-holic

I'm a trimmer-holic, having multiples of several different types (you know how it is, "if I buy THIS one I'll make straight cuts all the time...).  I started with the small Fiskars 8.5" trimmer, still use it 20 years later, but mostly for light weight paper in my home office.  I then tried several of the 12" Fiskars and especially liked the one with the wire guide so I could see exactly where I was cutting.  Still like my Fiskars trimmers, which are now in my "go-bag," but started using the Tonic guillotine cutters for home because they are more substantial.  I especially like the 12"x6", which I think has really helped me make consistently straight card bases.  Right now my most used are a small Fiskars guillotine and the 8.5" and 12" Tonic guillotine, but the lighter weight trimmers are great for taking on the go.

Reply With Quote Likes