Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-17-2020, 09:48 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Creativation 2020

Its that time of year, Creativation weekend is here again so I thought I'd start a thread for us to share what we see and might be interested in.

The only sneak peaks I've watched so far were Tim Holtz and a woman on youtube who had some of the upcoming Ranger products.

I've been pretty good (not great) about resisting impulse buys for the past few months and hope that continues and improves. With that said, though...............

I did pre-order the Distress Ink Pad tins from Marco's. I want to have my oxides accessible so I actually use them; I'm tired of having to find the box I store them in then take them all out to find specific colors. Since this is the year of organizing my craft hoarder's room into a craft room, I justified the purchase to myself.

In the video I saw on youtube, the new Ranger Stickles Glitter Gels (sorry, I could have the wrong name) looked really, really pretty. A jar will find its way onto my Pinterest Board for Black Friday Sales.

I'm liking the new layering dies Tim has of the animals, they remind me of vintage cartoons, but I can't see how I would use them so I'm being strong and not even putting them on the Pinterest Board. I think the new Alcohol Ink Alloys and blower (?) might make it on there after I see more demos.

And I have to say, I was both surprised but not surprised to hear Ranger wasn't doing more Distress Archival minis. Surprised because I thought his fans would have really supported them. Not surprised because I bought them when they were released and have never used them. For me personally, I'm glad they didn't continue them as I suffer from full-set syndrome and it would've been a huge waste of money.

I'm interested to see if anything can top the foil quill at this year's event.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2020, 11:37 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I'll be curious to see if there are any new tools. I'm loving my glass mat and have seen rave reviews about that thick white craft mat introduced last year. (can't remember the name as it's not something I'm likely to get.)

I've noticed more solid dies (as opposed to frame-style), I suppose a response to the Sizzix issue.

I wonder what else we will see?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2020, 05:10 PM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

We R Memorykeepers attempt to top the foil quill is a mold making machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2020, 05:30 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I'll be curious to see if there are any new tools. I'm loving my glass mat and have seen rave reviews about that thick white craft mat introduced last year. (can't remember the name as it's not something I'm likely to get.)

I've noticed more solid dies (as opposed to frame-style), I suppose a response to the Sizzix issue.

I wonder what else we will see?

One tool is Tim’s deckle guillotine trimmer. But the Creative Memories trimmer that came out last year has several blades, including deckle. That said, there aren’t any repeats on the Tim trimmer, unlike the CM trimmer or the old scissors.

Alcohol ink alloys are a must have. And if the air blower is larger than the one I have, I might get that.

Being a heat embossing addict, I’ll definitely get a couple colored, translucent embossing glazes!

BTW, Tim makes a good point about not using straws to blow through, due to the automatic inhale after blowing out. (A little fan to my side blows away the fumes when I use alcohol inks.) He explains in a video on his blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 03:15 AM   #5  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

So much great, new stuff! Over the next few weeks I will be seriously stalking the websites of my favorite stamp and scrapbook lines. I love this time of year!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:14 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

I saw a video with a WRMK all-in-one tool. A paper trimmer, score board, includes guides and punches for making envelopes and banners. She mentions a stamping platform, as well, but I’m not sure what else since each tool on there has a separate video for it. It caught my eye because I make all of those things and wouldn’t mind having them on one tool. I also like that the base of it (the part you can use without the extended arm open) is at least 6 inches from what I can see. That means I don’t necessarily have to open it for basic cutting.

Does anyone have a “slide” paper trimmer from WRMK? Does it cut well and are the blades easy to find for replacement?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 05:08 AM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by fl_beachbumView Post
I saw a video with a WRMK all-in-one tool. A paper trimmer, score board, includes guides and punches for making envelopes and banners. She mentions a stamping platform, as well, but I’m not sure what else since each tool on there has a separate video for it. It caught my eye because I make all of those things and wouldn’t mind having them on one tool. I also like that the base of it (the part you can use without the extended arm open) is at least 6 inches from what I can see. That means I don’t necessarily have to open it for basic cutting.

Does anyone have a “slide” paper trimmer from WRMK? Does it cut well and are the blades easy to find for replacement?

I have this tool. I got it to keep packed with my going-to-a-crop stuff, forgot blocks for stamps once and this cutter has a stamping plate. The blade is very sharp so be careful. I have not yet found replacement blades. It is aso nice to have an envelop maker on it, one less thing to haul to crops.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 06:37 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

The gal from Scrap Time Videos has already posted a great video last night. I saw a few things that caught my eye.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 07:35 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Scrap Happy has posted a video where they've got some reps explaining their items.

For those that have watched FaceOff, the We R Memorykeepers mold maker looks like a teeny tiny version of a vacu-form. It's shipping in May and is $129. The rep is saying its like a 3D printer which I'm not too sure is an accurate description; will have to wait to see a demo.

I haven't seen this in any videos yet and it might not be at Creativation but thought I'd share: Heidi Swap Toner Stamping Kit. Its a toner ink pad so you can stamp and foil in a minc (and hopefully in a laminator):

Heidi Swapp MINC Toner Stamping Kit
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 12:48 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

That Heidi Swapp Toner ink pad looks very interesting...am anxious to hear reports of how well it does...I know the toner ink pen wasn't very good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 02:45 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftyduoView Post
That Heidi Swapp Toner ink pad looks very interesting...am anxious to hear reports of how well it does...I know the toner ink pen wasn't very good.

Heidi is at Creativation and demo'd the Toner Pad:

The results were really nice but.....If I heard her correctly, after you fill the ink pad its only good for approximately 3 hours. It comes with a few refills but I'm not sure if that would be cost effective. She mentioned that she should've made a smaller ink pad to conserve the ink. I'm wondering if we could buy a separate empty mini pad and use that with a refill, depending on what the pad is made of, of course.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 05:32 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

So far it’s still just heat Embossing Glaze and definitely alcohol ink Alloys.

But Concord & 9th’s Honeysuckle ink pad - yes, just that one color! - called me, though who knows what it looks like in real life. And Altenew’s gradient washi is gorgeous. I’m curious about the material of their big crafting mat, not that I want/need another.

There was something about a beading pick-up needle that you just push into the beads by Clover, but maybe the blogger was incorrect, since no one from Clover was there to speak with.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 05:42 AM   #13  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
So far it’s still just heat Embossing Glaze and definitely alcohol ink Alloys.

But Concord & 9th’s Honeysuckle ink pad - yes, just that one color! - called me, though who knows what it looks like in real life. And Altenew’s gradient washi is gorgeous. I’m curious about the material of their big crafting mat, not that I want/need another.

There was something about a beading pick-up needle that you just push into the beads by Clover, but maybe the blogger was incorrect, since no one from Clover was there to speak with.

Beth

I didn't get to check out any videos yesterday but I'll definitely take a look at the companies you mentioned.

I have a beading needle tool. Its a special bowl and a very thin hooked needle. You put the beads in the bowl, spin it, dip the hook in and it catches the beads. Works amazingly for seed beads. I'm interested to see if this is different and how its different.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 06:34 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

The Pink & Main ergonomic blending brushes caught my eye on the SSS blog. For my particular hand issue, they may or may not be comfortable but I’d love to try them. Link to blog:
Spotted! Top Finds Inside the 2020 Creativation Stamping Village! - Simon Says Stamp Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

I really liked the new inks from Simon Hurley (Ranger). His background that can be used either as a whole, or taken apart are (I think) pretty innovative. He is 'up and coming' and has a fresh take on things. I enjoy his videos.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

The background/focal stamps are nice - thanks. SSS has some - maybe Kristina Werner designed them? - where the centers pop out. It’s lovely seeing a young man do so well so quickly. He does videos with Gina K’s daughter, Rina. Another young star.

The inks are nice inks, I figure, like so many. Many dye inks are manufactured by the same company and are the same other than colors and packaging, and they all stamp/blend/water color nicely.

(A while back the honesty of the Impression Obsessions owner was refreshing when she said her new inks weren’t anything different, but she wanted to fill in couple gaps with her light/medium/dark colors.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 07:25 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Here’s the Pink & Main “ergonomic” blending brush. It wouldn’t be ergonomic for me - still have to make a “claw hand” bending the lower thumb joint against the palm/fingers. But it’s another blending brush to add to many choices people now have, which is nice.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 03:15 AM   #18  
Gabfest Goddess

My wish list is pretty long and got longer after seeing those cool Simon Hurley background stamps!  
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

New electric die cutting machine. Pros and cons for me, albeit with limited info:
Pros
- accommodates 6” and 9” plates. (C’mon, Gemini - come out with 9” plates!)
- white (no Barney purple stripes)
Cons
- must keep your finger on a button while cutting. (Geminis don’t have a button - just “present” the sandwich to the machine.)
- large (l like the slimness of the Geminis; fit nicely on a desk corner)

A video solely about the machine doesn’t show it die cutting, so didn’t include. Fast forward to 2:00 in the following one to see it in action: 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Just a note that

It’s the Sizzix Switch, shipping in May for $259 retail in case anyone is interested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 02:05 PM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
For those that have watched FaceOff, the We R Memorykeepers mold maker looks like a teeny tiny version of a vacu-form.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it! I remember playing with my brother's vacu-form in the 60s; since lava lamps are coming back, I guess it was time for this, too!

My faves from Creativation are the Cosmic Shimmer Aurora Flakes and Lawn Fawn's Stamp Scrubber.

Last edited by LemurLover; 01-21-2020 at 02:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm starting my list with Gina K Designs, the Electro Pop Glitz glitter Gel, Flock and Enamel! Stickles Glitter Gel, Cosmic Shimmer Aurora Flakes, Deco-foil Blanco gel, Tim Holtz 15 new alcohol inks, Alloys and the Alcohol Blower.  I like the idea of the Heidi Swapp Toner Ink, but will wait for reviews. A short list for me, but I love all things sparkly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't understand why we need any MORE stamp pads/inks!  The market is absolutely saturated with a gazillion inks, which drives me nuts.  Simon doesn't do it for me either...too young, speaks too fast and sometimes just a bit silly.  But good for him to try to make it in this world!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 07:52 PM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default We need stuff in Houston!

I wish we could have a few of those companies come out to Houston.  For a town this size it’s amazing what a papercrafting desert it is here.  Like 3 ISS around, but none where I live.  CKC is shrinking every year.  They need to change the side of town they set up on.  Hobby Lobby, Michaels and JoAnn don’t carry much new stuff.  I want to see, touch, and smell things before I buy.  Sorry...rant over.  But back to the original question........I think the stickles gel looks interesting, and I like Simon Hurley - he’s a breath of fresh air.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 02:21 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

For me it's the Embossing Glazes, and that new Alcohol Blower. I use a straw, but find that when I make a batch of backgrounds, which is what I normally do, I get breathless- COPD. So that should be useful to me.The AI Alloys might be interesting too. I'll also mention that new Deco Art stencil paste, called Deco Duo. Apparently it can be heat set, or used cold by running through a die cutting machine, so this may be interesting to anyone wanting to try foiling?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 07:50 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
I don't understand why we need any MORE stamp pads/inks!  The market is absolutely saturated with a gazillion inks, which drives me nuts.  Simon doesn't do it for me either...too young, speaks too fast and sometimes just a bit silly.  But good for him to try to make it in this world!
I think some people like having all things from a certain brand, matchy-matchy. I would LOVE to have a full set of Gina K ink cubes (I didn't have the money when they were 50% off).  Not all ink brands come in the same colors even though they are in the same color family (I'm still looking for my perfect yellow).  As for Simon, to me, he's like a breath of fresh air.  Isn't he around 17?  I think he has done amazing things for the industry for someone so young.  He is also keen on keeping prices within reason, he talks about that in his videos.  He's young, he should be silly, we ALL should be a little silly.  I'm 63 and I can be a complete goofball.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:03 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I saw  WRMK has a new "Project Cart!" It's like the Rascog Carts, but they have trays you put your projects on. Being able to work on several projects at once. Making a way for you to have space on your desk, just take the tray off & begin to work on that particular project! NICE! AND WRMK is coming out with a Glass Mat, like the TH one--- only it is white & not black, & has the area for mixing paints etc. on too! The size is 16" x 22" (TH is 14" x 23") I like the white background better than the white. It is hard to see things on a black background. I've been mulling it over for years now on the TH one.... MAYBE, with the white background one by WRMK, I'll buy one? LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:06 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post

I think some people like having all things from a certain brand, matchy-matchy. I would LOVE to have a full set of Gina K ink cubes (I didn't have the money when they were 50% off).  Not all ink brands come in the same colors even though they are in the same color family (I'm still looking for my perfect yellow).  As for Simon, to me, he's like a breath of fresh air.  Isn't he around 17?  I think he has done amazing things for the industry for someone so young.  He is also keen on keeping prices within reason, he talks about that in his videos.  He's young, he should be silly, we ALL should be a little silly.  I'm 63 and I can be a complete goofball.

May I ask what kind of yellow you’re looking for? 

I applaud Simon’s success, with help from Gina K. and others. Also Rina K., who’s in college (still?). I’m in my 60s - let’s hear it for the kiddos!  
As for his talking fast, I hadn’t noticed, maybe because slow talking causes me to shut down a video fast. It’s 100% fine to stop talking for a moment while waiting for the next step to narrate, and then speak normally. But to talk... like... this... to... match the video speed is nails on a blackboard. 

Or add fillers, like Laura Bassen does. But others love a blogger I no longer watch because of slow... talking. So YMMV.

As for too may inks, ditto an occasional rare color is still desired, though it’s impossible to be sure using a monitor/device, and I’ve guessed wrong. But it’s like sweater brands, who cares how many manufacturers there are?

The only concern is that with too much competition, some good lines may disappear due to lack of sales and not enough marketing that grabs people. 

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:07 AM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

Actually, I was leery about the TH black background too, but now that i have it, I absolutely love it!  I mostly use white paper, and it shows up so much better than "white on white".  Quality "tool"!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:14 AM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Simon

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post

Not disparaging this very young kid (16), but Ranger, Gina K and whoever else seem to be using him to draw in younger crafters. For me, he simply has no credibility in this industry...I've been stamping longer than he's been alive! So exactly what has "he" done that's been amazing in the industry? He's supposed to be in high school being a "kid"! Lots of time left to be in the adult world.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto. The contrast helps me. Plus if using black paper if I need contrast I just shift to the right (white) side. 

Last edited by bjeans; 01-23-2020 at 03:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 AM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Received 301 Likes on 141 Posts

There is a brand new company, i-crafter, that has a self-healing cutting pad that looks amazing and I'm super excited about. It is tied for first place on my wants list with the WRMK Project Cart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:21 AM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

May I ask what kind of yellow you’re looking for? 

I applaud Simon’s success, with help from Gina K. and others. Also Rina K., who’s in college (still?). I’m in my 60s - let’s hear it for the kiddos!  
As for his talking fast, I hadn’t noticed, maybe because slow talking causes me to shut down a video fast. It’s 100% fine to stop talking for a moment while waiting for the next step to narrate, and then speak normally. But to talk... like... this... to... match the video speed is nails on a blackboard. 

Or add fillers, like Laura Bassen does. But others love a blogger I no longer watch because of slow... talking. So YMMV.

As for too may inks, ditto an occasional rare color is still desired, though it’s impossible to be sure using a monitor/device, and I’ve guessed wrong. But it’s like sweater brands, who cares how many manufacturers there are?

The only concern is that with too much competition, some good lines may disappear due to lack of sales and not enough marketing that grabs people. 

Beth

I didn't watch the video that you're talking about with the "fast talking," but I was told once I talked fast. I think it has to do with maybe not only trying to fit everything in the video time for him, but maybe because of the area he is from in the country, or it could even be ADHD! There are so many reasons it could be! I too fall asleep if it's too slow! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:24 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post

Not disparaging this very young kid (16), but Ranger, Gina K and whoever else seem to be using him to draw in younger crafters. For me, he simply has no credibility in this industry...I've been stamping longer than he's been alive! So exactly what has "he" done that's been amazing in the industry? He's supposed to be in high school being a "kid"! Lots of time left to be in the adult world.

His mom might be prepping him for the company! Prepping him to  pass the torch! Having him work with her! He probably loves art right along with his mother! Kind of nice I think, to have something of value to give to your kids! ;)<3

P.S. Art for kids/young adults is VERY IMPORTANT! Sometimes, their art is all they have! So, if it draws in the kids/ young adults, I'm for it! (I was one of those kids growing up) ;)<3

Last edited by TLady; 01-22-2020 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Forgot one point
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLadyView Post

His mom might be prepping him for the company! Prepping him to  pass the torch! Having him work with her! He probably loves art right along with his mother! Kind of nice I think, to have something of value to give to your kids! ;)<3

P.S. Art for kids/young adults is VERY IMPORTANT! Sometimes, their art is all they have! So, if it draws in the kids/ young adults, I'm for it! (I was one of those kids growing up) ;)<3

Simon Hurley’s mother has a crafting business? 

I thought his speaking fast was being referred to in general, not one specific video? I never thought of him as a fast talker. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:44 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Wrong again! LOL So, I was thinking he was Gina K's son. DAH! But still,  he is someone they've noticed with potential!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:50 AM   #37  
Gallery Gazer

OT - Unrelated to Creativation, you made me curious so I googled “simon hurley mother” and stumbled upon this video where Simon and his mom make cards in a challenge! Son teaches mother.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 09:41 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Did anyone hear what won best new item/tool this year?  Last year the Foil Quill took the prize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 11:02 AM   #39  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I made the mistake of watching all of Tim Holtz's facebook live videos over the weekend. I have preordered a complete set of the embossing glazes -so cool!- and several of his new stamp sets.  Now I just have to wait months for it all to get here 

I also got a couple of new archival inkpads. I am hoping that seafarer will be similar to the new stampin up peacock color.  I also ordered sun dazed because I'm still in search of that perfect yellow, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the TH deckle edge trimmer and stickles gels on my wish list for possible later purchase.  Sometimes the wish list is a big help for me when I just have to whittle down my "want it now" list!
Reply With Quote Likes