Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-15-2020, 11:51 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Magnetic Sheets for Dies

I think this has been brought up before, but I'd just like to add a little bit (with pictures). I like to store my dies with the stamps they go with. Someone (I apologize that I can't remember whom it was) mentioned using heat register covers for dies. I spent time today running around to stores looking for magnetic sheets (hobby stores and stationery stores), but ended up at Home Depot. At the end of one of the aisles, I found one magnetic sheet. It was 8X11 inches and cost $10. It was so you could stick it on your fridge and then leave notes for people. Then I went to where they had the covers for heat registers. Hanging by them was a pack of three magnetic sheets, 8X15 inches, for $4.99. I brought them home and cut one down to size. Works great, although it's a bit flimsy. So I used double-sided tape and attached it to the back of the cardboard that's holding the stamps. Here's a picture of the one-sheet magnet, the register covers package, and what my dies look like on the register cover.

I hope this helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails
Magnetic Sheets for Dies-one-sheet.jpg   Magnetic Sheets for Dies-vent-magnets.jpg   Magnetic Sheets for Dies-dies-magnet.jpg  
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

And my favorite part about Home Depot is that they tell you in the online description exactly where to find them in the store! My husband thought I was a bit odd the first time I got some because we don't have heat registers........LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 735 Likes on 357 Posts

I use those all the time! I just ordered some but mine (also Frost king) were 5.75 on AZ...but I saw Lowe's had the same price. I suggest stocking up a bit bc prices go up and down. A few months ago my eyes popped when I saw 7/8 dollars and local stores like Ace hardware are 8-10 dollars. Bunch of different brands and so far I see no difference between them except some come with a nicer piece of cardboard that I cut up too.

Home depot was the best at 4 and change for years but my local one's price almost doubled! Thus am I ordering online.

I also back them with cardboard but I don't bother attaching them. They stay in place. I store all my dies like this as well as the stamp/die sets.

I keep the cardboard from behind paper pads, etc. for this purpose The thinner ones I use for solid plate dies and no magnetic just to keep the shape of the pocket.

lol...we are all going into the hardware stores for all kinds of things the guys think we are crazy for!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I agree, I buy my magnetic sheets from Home Depot as well. I cut to size to fit in in heavy storage envelopes.
50 Clear Stamp and Die Storage Pockets Plastic Bags, Compatible with Avery Elle | eBay
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 02:35 PM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not familiar with the ones from Home Depot so I don't know how they compare, but I've been buying these ones from Oriental Trading for a few years now. They hold dies really well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

These are the ones I use - they're adhesive backed and I center them on a sheet of chipboard:

Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2020, 04:39 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

I buy these ones. They're not sturdy at all, but I prefer them thin. The thicker ones got very heavy. I don't even put them on chipboard or cardstock. They work just fine in the pockets/sleeves I put them in. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 03:18 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I leave the dies that come in stiff plastic packaging in that packaging.  That’s almost all of them.  Smaller dies that just come in sort plastic bags go in flexible plastic cd envelopes that I already had.  They all reside in a tub from $Tree.  Total die storage cost: about $2.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 01:24 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

These are the ones I buy.  I stick them on the back of the cardboard the stamps come on.  I tape the stamp sheet onto the cardboard, and affix the magnetic sheet (these are cuttable in a TH guillotine trimmer, I have one dedicated to this and I keep several different sizes of magnets cut for getting sets ready and into my organization system) and then cut apart any dies, and set them onto the magnet, pop into a storage pocket which is already labeled, and poof - into the system in the right place, done.

https://www.amazon.com/Marietta-Magnetics-Magnetic-Sheets-Adhesive/dp/B01N25OLFS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2G6OYV3DFFYGA&keywords=marietta+ma gnetics+5x7&qid=1579732101&sprefix=marietta+ma%2Ca ps%2C215&sr=8-4

Right now this pack of 50 is $26.22 and I get at least 2 and occasionally 4 or more from a sheet, and I don't ever throw a scrap away.  So well worth the money and the adhesive is already on it!  

I don't know why that's not hot-linking, grumble.  It's Marietta Magnetics 50 sheet pack of 5x7 adhesive backed magnet sheets on Amazon.  grrrrr.

Last edited by joniworx; 01-22-2020 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:20 PM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I cut my magnet sheets to fit inside the stamp case.  There is room for the dies AND the coordinating stamp set.  I do make sure the stamps are facing backwards, so there is no chance of imprinting a die mark on the front of a stamp/  Works great for me.
pam in northern illinois
Reply With Quote Likes