Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-18-2020, 07:06 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 89 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Yes, another question on cardstock for card bases

I really appreciate all the threads covering the different types of cardstock out there for card bases. So many options and I want them all!

However, I think I'm going to get some of the Neenah Classic Crest Solar White (#110) for my card bases, but can someone recommend if Neenah has a good off-white color (close to SU! Very Vanilla)? I have looked at various places and on the Neehah web site, but it's hard to tell what the real color is on my computer screens.
Also, is there any paper out there that is similar to SU! Naturals White?

Thanks!

Beth

Hang on. Let me overthink this.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 02:56 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Afraid I don't have any SU cardstock. I do have lots of Neenah.

This is outside in natural sunlight (late afternoon). The lightest is solar white. The middle is Neenah Natural White, and the darkest is Neenah Cream.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-18-2020, 04:23 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Thank you so much! This is very helpful!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2020, 04:16 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Diane (fionna51) had some great info on this thread: replacements for confetti & naturals CS & envelopes - Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2020, 07:04 PM   #5  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use papertrey for my white and vanilla base Cardstock. I love it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2020, 09:18 PM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Or you can check this thread where one person said: "I have Neenah Natural White and it matches SU VV".

SU Very Vanilla CS Match to Neenah - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-20-2020, 10:08 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Yes, Neenah Classic Crest Cover in Naturals White is a perfect substitute for Very Vanilla. It also comes in 110 pound and 80 pound, like the Solar White.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 02:56 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I saw some 110# cream CS at Michael’s recently, too.  It’s cream, not off white or natural, but it’s one more option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 07:33 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU Very Vanilla

Can I ask, why not just use SU Very Vanilla? It seems funny to search for something "like" that.. Really just windering.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 08:12 AM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I just got some 110 lb Neenah & I don't think it's that sturdy. I just use it for Alcohol Inks. But, I use Paper Studio Heavy Weight Card Stock for my card bases. Found at Hobby Lobby. They have White, Cream, Gray, etc. (All in neutrals)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 09:00 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

Michael's used to have an ivory 110lb cardstock that I love.  Then they changed to that cream which I find too dark for my taste.  Too bad!  I am using my ivory "sparingly" until I find a substitute.
I got some 110lb white at Staples that doesn't seem as sturdy as the Michael's.  Weird because the weight is the same.  Maybe it's the material/density/thickness of the cardstock not just the weight that affects the sturdiness... the weight is only one factor...just guessing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #12  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I got the 110lb Neenah that Jennifer McGuire recommended on Amazon. So, go figure....
It's DEFINITELY  lighter weight than my 100 lb Bristol, & lighter than my Paper Studio Heavy Card Stock, which doesn't have a weight on it. :/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 01:45 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cre8ive MindView Post
Michael's used to have an ivory 110lb cardstock that I love.  Then they changed to that cream which I find too dark for my taste.  Too bad!  I am using my ivory "sparingly" until I find a substitute.
I got some 110lb white at Staples that doesn't seem as sturdy as the Michael's.  Weird because the weight is the same.  Maybe it's the material/density/thickness of the cardstock not just the weight that affects the sturdiness... the weight is only one factor...just guessing.

I really liked that off white, too.  The new cream looks like a light daffodil yellow to me. Not what I want!  But, you can still get a more neutral off white in 110 lb. if you're willing to buy a pack that also includes brown, gray, and black.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #14  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll have to look at that.  I would use the brown and black and with some brainstorming the gray too. Thanks for the "heads up".  If it's a 100 pack there will only be 25 sheets of the ivory so I'll still have to be "stingy" with it.  �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeaniejeaniemView Post
Can I ask, why not just use SU Very Vanilla? It seems funny to search for something "like" that.. Really just windering.

Price.  A pack of SU very vanilla is $8.25 for 24 sheets... which is more than 34 cents per page, and that's before you factor in shipping.  A pack of Neenah classic crest 110lb natural white has 250 sheets for $52...  about 21 cents per page (if you have free shipping like from Amazon).

Also, sometimes people can find the Neenah (or similar brands) at local stores like Office Max, or print shops, and don't have to wait for an order from SU (or pay shipping).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-24-2020, 01:53 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Again, thanks for all the replies.  I ordered from Neenah directly (figured they would ensure that the paper wasn't smashed up) and although shipping wasn't cheap, they were very, very well packaged and include boxes to keep the paper in!

I got 1) Classic Crest Solar White, 110; 2) Classic Crest Solar White, 80; 3) Classic Crest Natural White, 110 and 4) Classic Crest Natural White, 80lb.  

I LOVE them all!   The 110 weight is thick and heavy and will be perfect for card bases.  The 80 weight is lighter and reminds me of the SU paper I'm used to using and will be perfect for layers.

The natural white is less yellow than the SU very vanilla, but is a beautiful cream color that I think I will like better.

I haven't tried stamping or coloring yet, but should get around to that this weekend.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 06:39 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyBethView Post
Again, thanks for all the replies.  I ordered from Neenah directly (figured they would ensure that the paper wasn't smashed up) and although shipping wasn't cheap, they were very, very well packaged and include boxes to keep the paper in!

I got 1) Classic Crest Solar White, 110; 2) Classic Crest Solar White, 80; 3) Classic Crest Natural White, 110 and 4) Classic Crest Natural White, 80lb.  

I LOVE them all!   The 110 weight is thick and heavy and will be perfect for card bases.  The 80 weight is lighter and reminds me of the SU paper I'm used to using and will be perfect for layers.

The natural white is less yellow than the SU very vanilla, but is a beautiful cream color that I think I will like better.

I haven't tried stamping or coloring yet, but should get around to that this weekend.

Wonderful! Can you describe the boxes or pop in a photo? And I think I’ll get some natural white, based on your description. 

I have a lovely cream CS from an LSS that closed, and have meant to take a piece to the Stamp & SB Expo that’s here in June to see if it’s from the thepapercut.com but have forgotten two years in a row. 

Thank you from another overthinking Beth :shock:

Last edited by bjeans; 01-25-2020 at 06:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 02:03 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

Wonderful! Can you describe the boxes or pop in a photo?

Thank you from another overthinking Beth :shock:

Here is a picture of the box. It's the same size box for all, so the thicker paper doesn't fit as well as a ream of copy paper would, but it will be a great place to store extra paper safely away from light, dust and dog hair. 

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Nice, thanks. I like the cut-out. Um, cat hair... I spy inks.

Beth2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2020, 10:18 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

I wish I had gotten the off-white at Michaels when I saw it last year because the new version is more yellow than I like. Bought a pack of it when I bought more white, and will just have to make myself use it even though the color isn't what I expected.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2020, 01:56 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Looking at gsm instead of weight in pounds is the key. Here’s a screenshot of a ream (250 sheets) of Neenah Exact Index compared to Neenah Classic Crest from a Jennifer McGuire video. The difference in thickness is striking. They both are 110 pounds but the gsm is much higher in the Classic Crest. 

Classic Crest gsm - 297
Exact Index gsm -  163

i’ve met card makers unhappy with Neenah, and it’s turned out they bought it at a big box office store. That means it’s Exact Index - in other words the wrong Neenah - since Neenah doesn’t sell Classic Crest at those stores. That’s why I wish bloggers would say Classic Crest in their blogs and videos. Otherwise how would new stampers know? And not just newbies - once  a guest instructor at an LSS talking about her favorite papers for alcohol markers didn’t know. 

Last edited by bjeans; 01-26-2020 at 02:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 08:29 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdyBethView Post

Thanks for this info and the photo of the box! I might look into shipping to Canada (may turn out to not be cost-effective at all, but worth a look). Thanks to everyone for the specific details and photos in this thread. I'm another member of the "oh darn, that Michaels cream is now curdled" club and am always on the lookout for really nice off-white shades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 09:03 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Michaels switched from a U.S. paper mill to one China. That’s when the paper color/quality changed, not to mention loss of jobs. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 458 Likes on 305 Posts

Thank you SO much for the visual!!!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 12:24 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

Looking at gsm instead of weight in pounds is the key. Here’s a screenshot of a ream (250 sheets) of Neenah Exact Index compared to Neenah Classic Crest from a Jennifer McGuire video. The difference in thickness is striking. They both are 110 pounds but the gsm is much higher in the Classic Crest. 

Classic Crest gsm - 297
Exact Index gsm -  163

i’ve met card makers unhappy with Neenah, and it’s turned out they bought it at a big box office store. That means it’s Exact Index - in other words the wrong Neenah - since Neenah doesn’t sell Classic Crest at those stores. That’s why I wish bloggers would say Classic Crest in their blogs and videos. Otherwise how would new stampers know? And not just newbies - once  a guest instructor at an LSS talking about her favorite papers for alcohol markers didn’t know. 

Also, there's a big difference between Smooth and Super Smooth.  I originally bought Super Smooth (hey if smooth is good, super smooth must be better, right?) for Copic coloring.  It does not absorb the ink well and the Copics didn't blend much if at all.  It also looks like crap when I try to do ink blending on it.  So I highly recommend staying with SMOOTH only.  I originally had trouble finding it on Amazon (the other reason I bought Super Smooth), but eventually did by using the stock number shown in BJeans picture (04456).  BTW, this was 80lb cardstock. And THANKS BJeans for the info on gsm!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I hope the super smooth still works for you for stamping or some other projects! 

You reminded me about a class I took, given by the owner of The Queen’s Ink in Maryland. It may have been called Thinking About Inking. It was for stamping beginners. I had been stamping a while, but it looked interesting. Paper differences were emphasized. A small envelope in our kits contained different types of paper, and we stamped the same image on each one in order to see the differences. I’ll have to find the kit and see what papers were in it. But it sure brought home how important paper is. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2020, 03:00 PM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

Quote:

I hope the super smooth still works for you for stamping or some other projects! 

You reminded me about a class I took, given by the owner of The Queen’s Ink in Maryland. It may have been called Thinking About Inking. It was for stamping beginners. I had been stamping a while, but it looked interesting. Paper differences were emphasized. A small envelope in our kits contained different types of paper, and we stamped the same image on each one in order to see the differences. I’ll have to find the kit and see what papers were in it. But it sure brought home how important paper is. 
Thanks BJeans. It works fine for stamped images but I do prefer the smooth even for those. And paper definitely makes A difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2020, 08:30 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up five packs of SU naturals white when it showed up on their clearance rack, about a year ago. I had thought it was gone forever. So... maybe keep an eye out on that clearance rack, you never know, some may show up again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2020, 12:20 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't usually shop at JoAnns, because there isn't one really close to me but I was there the other day and picked up a pack of 110 lb off-white card stock that has the exact color I was looking for. It was even on sale, so that made me happy.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes