Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2019, 06:36 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I remove rubber stamps off the block

Hello
I am sure I read or saw a video about how u can remove rubber stamps from blocks put I think it called EZ mount cling foam onto the stamp and then you can use in MISTI ???

Well I made the unfortunate mistake of telling someone that I loved stamps and they do not know anything about stamping at all so they just bought a packet of stamps which have a block

Because of my physical disabilities I'm not able to use block stamps so then I had the idea to do the above

The only problem is I dont know how to do the above at all

Does anyone have any links to videos or tutorials on how to do this? When I first started stamping I knew nothing either so I have a small collection of block stamps also - some I didnt realise were block stamps - now know to check before I buy!

But all I want to be able to do is use them in my MISTI and I cant think of exact name but pretty sure its (I think) crafters companion EZ mounting foam and I even know where to buy it (in Australia )

I have never used it before either and I w as also wondering if anyone had tutorials on not only how to remove the stamp but also how to stick onto cling foam too like where to cut how close to the edge and what do you use to cur up the foam - a Stanley knife?

Anyways the person means well and I should of said cling or clear stamps but I forgot so I thought I'd ask here cos you are all so knowledgeable!

Thanks for your help and I hope had lovely Christmas and a safe and happy new year

Thanks again!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 08:39 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi, I just did a search on You Tube, and found you THIS list of videos. I did it like this as there are a few ways of unmounting, and remounting, and one may suit you better than another. Just click on the word 'THIS' in the above sentence, and it will take you to the list page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 09:48 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

For removing rubber stamps from the block or foam, you can put them in the microwave for about 3 seconds. It will heat up the glue just enough for you to peel it off.

To use them, you can just add some temporary adhesive to the back of the rubber and stamp them with your Misti. It will be a lot like using a clear stamp - the foam insert in the MISTI will help you get a clear impression.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I found that the microwave method was too sticky/gooey for me, so I tried another method I'd heard of. I pull the foam and rubber off the wood block (it doesn't matter if the foam rips), then put the foam/rubber in the freezer for a few minutes. The glue sort of solidifies or something and the foam will (usually) pull off the rubber cleanly. There are a couple of brands that are problematic, but no method known to man will help with those... I didn't want the expense of the EZ Mount, so I just use 2-way glue on the backs of mine. If you don't even want to do that, Purple Onion Designs sells a product called "clear mounting stamps" that you stick onto blocks or MISTI or other stamping platform and the rubber will cling to it. Here's a video that shows how it works:

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-30-2019 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 12:39 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you both so much for the tips and the video list THAT is awesome!

I do have a tape runner with temp adhesive and I cant rememver what I was making but I had to use it on my MISTI to hold something down anyways I found it quite hard to remove the temp adhesive off the door of the MISTI and although its expensive I figured the EZ mounf was a permanent solution so I do it once and then I dont have to think about it also I reckon I'd need maybe 3 or 4 sheets at the very most cos I zont have very many block stamps it is however nice to know my options!

I will watch the videos and see what way is going to be the best one poss trying a few methods to see what works best!

I'm also bedridden so the simplest way is good for me! It's hard to remember to ask for everything I need when crafting alone and it would be just like me to remember the stamp and misti inks and elvossong powder and forget the temp adhesive!! Cos that's just my memory!

This said after the black friday sales in 2019 I feel I need to save my pennies a bit so to speak so I may end up using the temp adhesive method until I can afford to buy the sheets as I cannot remember even how much they were!

I definitely know what clear stamps are but thanks for that info - I get what u r saying - that I need to use the mouse pad rather than take it out!

The MISTI has changed my ability from not being able to stamp independently ie I needed physical help to being able to do if completely by myself (other than being given the "stuff") as I'm bedridden so it was this forum who told me about it and I think 2 years ago when MFT had 30 percent off statewide I got my husband to get it for me then I waited 2 or 3 months till my wedding anniversary and he gave it to me then and BOY was I happy!

This forum is great thank you both so much for your help I'll let you know how I get on!

I've never used the EZ mount but hoping that list has some videos in it on how to do that part also! I was given a self healing mat for christmas - to go on top of the board I use to craft on that my husband made me - I had a large one for quilting ive still got it I think but its too big this one will sit in my lap and its about the same size had cm marked on it and I'm super excited! Board has non slip mat on it so the self healing mat wont slide and it will mean if myself or someone helping me needs to use a Stanley knife to cut it for eg the EZ mount ive got a surface which can take it! I'm so happy to get that for Christmas!

Thank you for your help again I'll let u know how I get on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 03:50 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I've found that glue sticks work great as a way of temporarily attaching stamps to the lid of a stamping platform, and it wipes away easily too. Hope you find the best method for you. If your hand mobility is part of your problem, you *may* find cutting through the EZ Mount is an issue for you- it's very sticky and sticks to the scissors. I know a lot of people resorted to a hot knife tool to cut them out. I did put a lot of my stamps onto EZ Mount, and over time found I hated it, so just went to bare rubber, After a number of years, I found it started to either come unstuck, or 'cupped' on the stamps, making them harder to attach to a block, or storage sheets. Now I just use currency/atc/postcard storage pockets for my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 05:43 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Cornstarch (not corn flour) lightly sprinkled onto and smoothed over EZMount takes away the stickiness from scissors. I no longer use EZMount, but when I did that tip from a video was a hand and scissor-saver. Sharp, narrow scissors help too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

A little painters tape on the back of bare rubber works for me on old blocks I’ve taken apart.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Just recently got around to putting rubber stamp in the freezer and boy does it work! The removing the rubber stamps haven't been a problem, but the mounting for most of mine have been difficult to remove. Was hoping to reuse the wood blocks.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 10:50 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Cornstarch (not corn flour) lightly sprinkled onto and smoothed over EZMount takes away the stickiness from scissors. I no longer use EZMount, but when I did that tip from a video was a hand and scissor-saver. Sharp, narrow scissors help too.
I'm in Australia what's the difference between corn starch and corn flour I know that some corn flours here have gluten or are not made from corn goodness I hope this makes sense but I thought corn flour was Australian/UK term and corn starch was US term for the same product?

Thanks for the tip

I found it difficult to get the temp adhesive off my misti and maybe there a trick for that too?

But I really dont have a ton of wood block stamps and though I still have not look into cost of the sheets of EZ mount I figured it would be worth the cost now I'll never buy wood block ones ever again ill stick to clear pgotopolymer ones and cling rubber ones pretty much!

So yeah it was just because I knew nothing about stamping and at the time nothing about the misti either! And so I bought wood one without even knowing the difference or the pro and.con between the different types either!

But because ive outplayed the money for them and I've got 6 as a present I will make sure before my birthday that I tell her ummm please no more wood block ones cos of xyz I didnt want to say anything at Christmas but I cant actually use them like that like because I'm bedeideen I'd have to get someone able to actually do the stamping part they unfortunately dont have coordinating dies wish I had the money for the scan and cut that would be soo amazingly cool but I dont mind coordinating dies and theres amazing things u can do with them (I watch far too many Jennifer McGuire videos!!! But yeah! So it would be even harder to do it needing computer and scan and cut at least the cut n boss can be moved to the table my husband made for me I still intend to watch the videos that are above but I havent done that yet!

But I'll look for the freezer method (and get some ez mount sheets also)!

Thanks so much for help!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

In the U.S. - well, parts of it - corn flour is ground from whole corn kernels. It can be used for baking like other flours are used.

Cornstarch is white and made from the inner, white, starchy part of the kernel. It’s used for thickening in recipes and often comes in a small box or jar.
A tablespoon or two is mixed with the same amount of water to make a slurry to add for thickening (like is done with white flour).
Reply With Quote Likes