Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2019, 05:15 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Designers and trends

First-just a comment: I want to start by saying how impressed I am that people are so knowledgeable about designers-when they move from companies and so on.
I know I cant keep track and honestly don't even think about the designer much. I generally either like a stamp or don't.

I can recognize a couple now...Penny Black, Stamping Bella, Art Impressions and so on have very particular looks about them. (although lately not so happy with what may be a new designer at PB who is taking my beloved hedgie backwards imho to a too simple line art style) Stacey Yacula....our Dina....

But that isn't the same thing. I see these convos about how about who moved where and I just think wow...good on you to know that much!!

Second: Trends and a question-
I was just talking to a friend about what I see as one of the latest-the Yeti. I listed some 8 companies with no difficulty who all have Yetis. Even in my short time I have seen sloths, llamas, etc march past us. I was commenting I wondered if the Yetis were in response to the animated movie Abominable I just saw. (Except that cutie does not have horns. Ears yes-horns no.) Has our industry started taking some leads from what they expect to be big movies or cultural trends?

Then I was thinking about last year (year before?) and Dina's (well deserve/loved) giraffe with a scarf...and how suddenly a bunch of companies had giraffes. Now..I would not mind the giraffes. I would not even mind OTHER animals with scarves. But when I see other companies with giraffes with scarves-that flies in the face of the whole industry being so cool, holding hands, all rise together mantra for me. That is just one example. It feels like I keep seeing companies take ideas right off each other's drawing tables.

I am not a fan of this. I would not be amused if I was a designer this happened to.

Trends may be caused by many things-my first example of outside popular characters. Or the second-great sales response of a particular stamp idea.

Obviously sales can drive...for example after Holtz's crazy birds we got a LOT of crazy -cats, dogs, mini ones, accessories for them...But that took a year for production.

I am just really curious. So many other industries are driven by trends almost entirely. We were always (imho) NOT that. Happy designers sat at their boards and created. And we played. It feels like it is shifting. Maybe it is just me?

What do you think starts a stamp/industry trend?

Do you know a designer? What motivates them to suddenly do a platypus or whatever? How much do companies have to do with it? Like do they say to the designer "we want X this year"? Seems like they react-"possums are hot! Draw us one!" Or they allow the designers to do whatever they want? Seems like it could be a combo? Big enough designers get more freedom?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:10 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I can't speak for all designers or companies (thank you, Captain Obvious), but I know that Korin (founder of Sweet 'n Sassy Stamps) started her whole company because she couldn't find a stamp set with the images she wanted, so she drew them herself. She was a demo for Close to My Heart back then (me, too - met her in the forums and then in real life on a cross-country trip), and she got a lot of encouragement from all of us to go for it. I think that some companies listen to customer requests and try to create something they see a high demand for. Ultimately, I do not know the answers to your questions - my guess is that it's a combination of several of your theories, depending on the company...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 04:07 AM   #3  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

IMO trends don't start, they evolve. For example, tiny and cute woodland critters like fox, deer, birds, owls and squirrels got popular for home dec and crafts. Then the designers added sloths, hedgehogs and llamas to the woods. Yeti was this year's addition. Next year it may go back to just cute and tiny critters. I've seen a lot of styles and motifs come and go. I loved the doodle look, flourishes, chevrons and other geometrics and grunge. 2020 may bring yet another style that dominates and I will pick and choose from what's offered.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 04:10 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL Captain Obvious. He has breakfast at my house often.

Sue you are one of the people I think is so amazing! You know/know of so many people!

That is why I started making cards. I disliked the Judaica images so much in the stores. I worked for a boutique costume jewelry house that started in the same way...blew up to be in big dept stores and a lot of small boutiques across the country, but she did not have the disposition for the pressure of new designs. People don't think about that part of it. (Dabby Reid).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 05:45 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 971 Likes on 471 Posts

I wonder if there is a company or organization that helps analyze and predict? Like a Pantone but instead of color trends and predictions they look at design motifs?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 09:52 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
LOL Captain Obvious. He has breakfast at my house often.

Sue you are one of the people I think is so amazing! You know/know of so many people!

That is why I started making cards. I disliked the Judaica images so much in the stores. I worked for a boutique costume jewelry house that started in the same way...blew up to be in big dept stores and a lot of small boutiques across the country, but she did not have the disposition for the pressure of new designs. People don't think about that part of it. (Dabby Reid).
You make me laugh! I know a bunch of stuff because I've been in this realm for soooo long, and because I look up stuff that interests me. Being totally and completely honest, NOTHING in Odd Brain is truly worthwhile information - just stuff that piqued my interest or that I found amusing. (Care to know the Levi's jingle from their 1970s commercials? Yup - got a lock on that, and can also quote the old Fotomat radio ad verbatim! Nowadays no one even knows what Fotomat is/was.) Sometimes the trivia ends up being useful, sometimes it's solely for my own entertainment...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 11:02 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I agree that it appears so many stamp companies have the same designs. I have also noticed that I have Purchased different dsp from various companies and see it in6x6 pads by another big companies used in their kits.Two competing companies ..go figure.
I wonder with the popularity of SSS gnomes stamps and dies,will we see more of these next year. They seem to be more popular even tho they have been seen over past few years.
Somethings have longevity others just a one hit wonder popular for just one season.
Sometimes I get discouraged when a lot companies all jump on the same theme. Fortunately there are those that are very creative not followers but trend setters of their own.

As mentioned the paint companies can predict upcoming paint colours.....I wonder what their secret is.� ����
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 04:29 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I agree that it appears so many stamp companies have the same designs. I have also noticed that I have Purchased different dsp from various companies and see it in6x6 pads by another big companies used in their kits.Two competing companies ..go figure.
I wonder with the popularity of SSS gnomes stamps and dies,will we see more of these next year. They seem to be more popular even tho they have been seen over past few years.
Somethings have longevity others just a one hit wonder popular for just one season.
Sometimes I get discouraged when a lot companies all jump on the same theme. Fortunately there are those that are very creative not followers but trend setters of their own.

As mentioned the paint companies can predict upcoming paint colours.....I wonder what their secret is.������
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the "secret" is that they aren't predicting it as much as they are determining it - see this article: Pantone's 2018 Color of the Year is Ultra Violet: The history of Pantone — Quartz This passage is especially telling:

The color conspiracy. Pantone’s color of the year is part trend prediction, part self-fulfilling prophecy. Determined by a top secret cabal of experts, the annual selection (since 2000) is spearheaded by the consulting department known as the Pantone Institute. Months before the announcement, Pantone collaborates with various brands to unleash an avalanche of products in the exact hue they specify. Never mind if it’s flattering (let’s not forget the ghastly Serenity blue lipstick from 2015) or particularly unique—the point of color-themed matched products is to be “on trend.”

And further proof from this article:

Color trends are not based on empirical surveys. They’re selected by committees who intuit the color of the moment. Then, they’re propagated by elaborate marketing campaigns. Pantone’s color prediction is, in part, a self-fulfilling prophecy. Months before the unveiling in December, it enters into licensing agreements with various companies—from nail polish to hotel suites—in order that the exact hue materializes in various guises. Suddenly, the color of the year is everywhere.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 12-28-2019 at 04:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Interesting...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2019, 05:50 PM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the "secret" is that they aren't predicting it as much as they are determining it - see this article: Pantone's 2018 Color of the Year is Ultra Violet: The history of Pantone — Quartz This passage is especially telling:

The color conspiracy. Pantone’s color of the year is part trend prediction, part self-fulfilling prophecy. Determined by a top secret cabal of experts, the annual selection (since 2000) is spearheaded by the consulting department known as the Pantone Institute. Months before the announcement, Pantone collaborates with various brands to unleash an avalanche of products in the exact hue they specify. Never mind if it’s flattering (let’s not forget the ghastly Serenity blue lipstick from 2015) or particularly unique—the point of color-themed matched products is to be “on trend.”

And further proof from this article:

Color trends are not based on empirical surveys. They’re selected by committees who intuit the color of the moment. Then, they’re propagated by elaborate marketing campaigns. Pantone’s color prediction is, in part, a self-fulfilling prophecy. Months before the unveiling in December, it enters into licensing agreements with various companies—from nail polish to hotel suites—in order that the exact hue materializes in various guises. Suddenly, the color of the year is everywhere.

Wow. That makes me want to boycott the whole trend scheme! That is really annoying to me. I will make up my own mind, thank you very much.

Sue, yet another example of your ability to ferret out information!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 03:18 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

wavejumper- I think our industry of "cool, holding hands, all rise together" mantra that ship set sail years ago, lol. There are still a few companies. If they are reading this we love you to pieces. Our industry has grown into a multi-million dollar profit machine. The old days of yore are long gone for big profits. I will miss the days of yore. I do think for profit has some positive things too. Really love seeing the new influx of artists discover stamping in a new way when it used to be such a niche hobby. With the rise of paper crafting there are so many options now and that is a good thing too. Our industry has become a Catch-22.

I have seen too much copying of designs over the years from other stamp/scrapbook companies where something unique and precious became generic. It's ok that peacock's are trendy. I am ok with that, lol. I love peacock's. I don't want the same peacock from ten different companies.

Trends don't matter to me. I buy from smaller stamp companies doing their own thing. Honestly, if the stamp companies are going to trend I will wait until Michael's Recollection or Hobby Lobby's Paper Studio comes out with something similar and at a more reasonable price. I treat stamping like fashion. I buy couture to last a long time and I buy trends for accessories.

I actually do know several designers in the scrapbooking world. They mainly get the trend forecast and are told to create around it. My artist friends create whatever they please and then get licenses for their work. I have a friend in the scrapbooking industry who designs for three different companies and she does repeat designs at the request of the company. It frustrates her to no end but she makes good money. At this point in her life she needs the money until she doesn't any more and can move away to creating her own art. She does worry that when she comes out with her line that people will not care because they have already seen her style from three different companies and they are over it. Like I said she needs the money right now in her life and had to make that hard decision.

I didn't know Yeti's was a thing right now. I am actually excited about this news. I love Yeti's, lol. I only want one Yeti. I think too many Yeti's is not a good thing, lol. They are big, and must eat a lot. They are a bit cranky.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 06:01 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I have a friend in the scrapbooking industry who designs for three different companies and she does repeat designs at the request of the company. It frustrates her to no end but she makes good money. At this point in her life she needs the money until she doesn't any more and can move away to creating her own art. She does worry that when she comes out with her line that people will not care because they have already seen her style from three different companies and they are over it. Like I said she needs the money right now in her life and had to make that hard decision.
I understand the dilemma your friend is facing, but you should encourage her to "do her own thing" NOW. Life is too short, she could die tomorrow, do what you love and the money will follow - take your pick of adages, but they all apply. Even if she starts small - an Instagram or blog or something to get her art "out there", her tribe will find her and she can build on that...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 11:01 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Um lol...I actually do know what Fotomat was as I worked for them when I was in school. Lot of stories there-like meeting a cousin, getting held up at gunpoint, etc

DeeAnn I am surprised you have not seen the Yeti! Just google yeti stamps and open the whole list. Wait I take that back. You are not looking at the companies much anymore. I happen to be thrilled that gnomes are hot right now as I love those. I cant have too many but I would like them to be different-as you noted about peacocks! That would motivate me to buy more...if they all look the same then I just pick one.

That was a lesson it took me like 2 years to learn. If something seems hot- sit on your hands! Wait...more will come out and then you pick.

Canada Goose-I have seen gnomes in European companies for awhile..now they are very hot here too. Theirs have more character-ours lean to the cute.

Yes! Sue is our very own Sherlock! She can track down info down fast! And apparently is a very good person to have on your team at weekly trivia things at the pub!

And I am telling you-I could be doing this for 30 years and will still not know stuff like designers/DT members and which companies they are moving between. Really. I just dont have the mind for it. I really suck at names and dates. Always have. It's very embarrassing in the elevator with neighbors. :oops: It is never personal but it is hard to get people to believe that.
It is annoying to think there are people in the world who believe we can be herded like cattle in so many ways. I agree-the way to go is accent pieces for color. Of course I cant believe that there are people who change out the whole decor of a LR say every single year or every other year. I don't care much money you have...that is just so wasteful to me. But they want to be in House Beautiful etc.

As to doing research-yep. Called research and development in some areas, marketing in others...several names for it, but it all boils down to the same thing-tracking what we buy and now the computers are making it SO much easier. Remember when we were talking about Pinterest last year I think, and the ads they show us? Uh huh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Wow - gunpoint?! I've never had a hazardous job (although I wouldn't have considered Fotomat to be high risk, lol).

As far as computers making it easier to track what we buy, with the influx of Alexa and Nest and all of those gadgets, there are actually teams of people listening to us, in addition to the algorithms the computers use! (No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist - they've admitted as much). My daughter gave me an Echo Dot for Christmas and I'm still debating if I want to hook it up - mostly I think no...

I can't remember dates to save me (when was the battle of 1812? I dunno...) but people that I've followed or that have been influential to me in some way have a tendency to stay in my brain. I've determined that I have to have some type of emotional connection (positive) to information for my brain to hang onto it - hence the jingles and quirky phrases and other nonsense that makes up a good portion of Odd Brain's archives. Most of the rest of it is "life stuff" that I find fascinating/motivating/helpful.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

As far as computers making it easier to track what we buy, with the influx of Alexa and Nest and all of those gadgets, there are actually teams of people listening to us, in addition to the algorithms the computers use! (No, I'm not a conspiracy theorist - they've admitted as much). My daughter gave me an Echo Dot for Christmas and I'm still debating if I want to hook it up - mostly I think no...
Agree! I won an Echo Dot at a work party last Christmas and regifted it to a family member who mentioned wanting one.

Iguess we have all read threads where people have mentioned ads showing up on their devices reflecting things they have talked about with friends. I’ve noticed that happens less since I turned off the “Hey Siri” function on my phone.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 06:15 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I too, have noticed that are the same designs from several different companies, but it may be due to it being copyright and royalty free. I imagine it is much less expensive to produce than paying a designer. I have seen a number of Tim Holtz stamps in my Dover clip art books. The fee to use Dover clip art commercially is pretty low.

Robin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2019, 08:17 PM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Really? You found TH stamps in the Dover books? Wow....doesn't he claim he designed those? Maybe not.

Sue-yes, gunpoint. They robbed my store-they used to do runs...hit 4 stores at a clip so as soon as one was, we notified the whole district and they would start locking doors and only let customers but who knew so it still happened. Stores i worked in got hit when I was off for the day or even at lunch (less staff)...I quit b/c I could not stand being scared anymore. They were easy targets-esp the kiosks. To this day I have a fear of working in small retail which is awful b/c a lot of them are really nice. Confronting shoplifters is not fun either.

I have a post it note over the camera lens on my laptop. I have heard too many times being told to do that. I dont have one of those Alexa type things. Of course IT listens to us-that is kind of the point but you are saying THEY are listening? How can that possibly be legal? what a huge invasion of privacy!! And completely the definition of creepy!!

Darn...I was thinking of one vs a life alert. Maybe I can and then turn it off when someone comes in? Is that practical? If they want to listen to my movies, knock yourself out LOL

Well I guess we will see what comes in 2020. Anyone wanna bet what the critters "du jour" will be? (not what you want, what you expect) I dont have a clue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 02:25 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I understand the dilemma your friend is facing, but you should encourage her to "do her own thing" NOW. Life is too short, she could die tomorrow, do what you love and the money will follow - take your pick of adages, but they all apply. Even if she starts small - an Instagram or blog or something to get her art "out there", her tribe will find her and she can build on that...
She is in a rock and a hard place right now to do her own thing. She has a loved one with medical issues and the money is good. I have been in that position to. When you design you can remain anonymous. That is nice because you don't need the pressure of fans wanting more and more art from you when you are under a large amount of stress and trying to take care of somebody with special needs.

I hate to say it but I have seen a mob mentality that artists are a factory line. We should produce art as if it's a product on a conveyor belt. This is really obvious in the gaming community. Treat an artist like that they will shut down, burn out and give up. Designer's know what is coming up, deadline time & what is expected. It's a different kind of pressure but not as stressful. My friend & I have had long discussions about this, lol.

My friend can design a line for American Crafts and their scrapbook star then can promote it. My friend is left alone so she can have time to take care of her loved one.

I have been the designer & I have been the artist. I do admit designing was a lot easier. It was easy for me to design fairy wings when my child was ill. To do a whole character creation of a fairy and then attach my name to it at the time of my life seemed like an impossible mountain to climb. I had to stop my art to tend, go back to my art and try to remember where I was, find my flow, stop again, tend. I could do this five times in an hour. I get where my friend is right now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 02:48 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- I am really good at turning off the industry. I like to be surprised. I want to go to the store and find a Yeti and have that thrill of finding a treasure.

I did follow trends for a while. All it did was burn me out, make me resentful and distrusting of the industry. Then I realized I was never buying from companies that I was following. It was not for resentment or distrust. I didn't buy from them because they were not my style. Turning it off I found companies that were my style.

Tim doesn't design his own things for the most part. He buys licenses from other artists. It's all very legitimate. He doesn't even need to credit the artist. He just needs to buy licenses. Many of the stamp companies do this and have admitted to it. This is a common place practice. I mentioned above I designed fairy wings, for example. Several gaming companies buy my wings to put in their own games for character creation. They bought my license and they don't need to credit me. I already got my percentage and fees. I am good with that. It's good money for a lot of us artists who create things like this so we can concentrate on our art. It's nothing nefarious in the industry. Companies in all sorts of industries do this. Car brands look for music from a fee site and buy the license to use in their ads as another example.

I had a group of friends complaining about Tim's prices on his new holiday dies. I told them to find the artist who created it and then go buy a personal SVG license and cut it out on their machines. They hardly could believe they could do that legally. A couple of my friends did it and they were thrilled.

Love a die well same die is probably over at the Silhouette store. They carry many of the major designers who have the same designs as our major die companies. Lori Whitlock's Sizzix fox dies are over at Silhouette, legally. When you buy a stamp, die or SVG for the most part you are paying the price for the format you want to use it in, not the design itself. For instance if I see a typewriter stamp I like I will look for the artist and get his/her image from a fee site. Then I have a nice digital image and the personal usage rights to use it. If I want to use the typewriter to stamp an image in polymer clay then I will buy the stamp. Yes, I am paying more because I am paying for the stamp companies fees to manufacture the stamp and the licensing fees from that artist. I have it in the format I want to use it in. I always make my crafting purchases this way. I never buy design. I always, always buy format.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 05:16 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Great explanation of the designer/artist and format/design differences, DeeAnn! Those of us who have never been "behind the scenes" are largely unaware, I'm sure. Totally makes sense and may inform my future purchases.

Of course with other factors like you've outlined for your friend it makes sense to delay her art for the time being. Proof that we just see the surface of what's going on in someone's life and mostly don't know "the rest of the story". I hope that she will be able to follow her {he}art sooner than later...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 02:04 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

DeeAnn-Thank you SO much for that explanation! It wasn't so much that I thought TH was stealing I guess as it was I was just taken off guard that they are not his. I understand that a company buys art...but when someone's actual name is on a thing I kind of expect it to be their own art I guess....live and learn. I don't know that I would personally do that.

A cousin of mine is in the music industry from the POV of selling license to other people to use in things like commercials. So I get that part. I have been kind of bemused as I age in where I hear "my music" in ads now-from groups that historically would not license it (till now) but they too are getting older and may have lost band members etc and it is time for them to get something else out of it for themselves.

When I was in CA I learned how voice over actors love it in the sense that they get paid, but no one is mobbing them on the sidewalks. They may not have the personality at all that wants that kind of attention. I feel bad for them now, because so many big name stars have been doing voice overs that their arena has been "invaded" in a way that I don't see ever ending; I would expect a bunch of them have lost work. For the big star it is just fun/impress the kids, a way to make money between movies or whatever...but for them it is the rent money. Seems like artists for stamps may feel the same way. I hope they are not getting crowded out the same way by so many people starting their own companies.

The "pressure to produce" reminds me of authors like RR Martin and Game of Thrones. I was surprised they went into production on a not finished series....he got angry with the fans who expressed concern that he might die before writing the last book and they would never get the end shows....yes, of course that is very selfish but I don't know what he expected to have happen. You are blessed that the world LOVES your work...and you have had years to write the final book and have not yet...would have have been better if no one liked it? They would have cancelled the series and he might have had a bit of trouble selling that last book. Lucky for him, they found a way around that. They ended it with his input before the last book was written (which has been hinted may be very different) Be careful what you ask for!

We all know how hard it is to go to the job and do it when you have big life issues happening at home. Pushing papers or whatever. Very different than getting your creative side fired up. You may only have to go to another room to do it vs leaving the house, but Still. We all complain about "loss of mojo". That is a whole 'nother star system away.

There are so many cogs in all the industries we never see.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 04:53 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
First-just a comment: I want to start by saying how impressed I am that people are so knowledgeable about designers-when they move from companies and so on.
I know I cant keep track and honestly don't even think about the designer much. I generally either like a stamp or don't.

I can recognize a couple now...Penny Black, Stamping Bella, Art Impressions and so on have very particular looks about them. (although lately not so happy with what may be a new designer at PB who is taking my beloved hedgie backwards imho to a too simple line art style) Stacey Yacula....our Dina....

But that isn't the same thing. I see these convos about how about who moved where and I just think wow...good on you to know that much!!

Second: Trends and a question-
I was just talking to a friend about what I see as one of the latest-the Yeti. I listed some 8 companies with no difficulty who all have Yetis. Even in my short time I have seen sloths, llamas, etc march past us. I was commenting I wondered if the Yetis were in response to the animated movie Abominable I just saw. (Except that cutie does not have horns. Ears yes-horns no.) Has our industry started taking some leads from what they expect to be big movies or cultural trends?

Then I was thinking about last year (year before?) and Dina's (well deserve/loved) giraffe with a scarf...and how suddenly a bunch of companies had giraffes. Now..I would not mind the giraffes. I would not even mind OTHER animals with scarves. But when I see other companies with giraffes with scarves-that flies in the face of the whole industry being so cool, holding hands, all rise together mantra for me. That is just one example. It feels like I keep seeing companies take ideas right off each other's drawing tables.

I am not a fan of this. I would not be amused if I was a designer this happened to.

Trends may be caused by many things-my first example of outside popular characters. Or the second-great sales response of a particular stamp idea.

Obviously sales can drive...for example after Holtz's crazy birds we got a LOT of crazy -cats, dogs, mini ones, accessories for them...But that took a year for production.

I am just really curious. So many other industries are driven by trends almost entirely. We were always (imho) NOT that. Happy designers sat at their boards and created. And we played. It feels like it is shifting. Maybe it is just me?

What do you think starts a stamp/industry trend?

Do you know a designer? What motivates them to suddenly do a platypus or whatever? How much do companies have to do with it? Like do they say to the designer "we want X this year"? Seems like they react-"possums are hot! Draw us one!" Or they allow the designers to do whatever they want? Seems like it could be a combo? Big enough designers get more freedom?
I have not been keeping up with Penny Black and the hedgies, since my kids have grown up and I don't participate in swaps anymore. Who is the new hedgie artist and can you link me to the new hedgies. I went to pb website but I can't locate the new hedgies. it's just a critter category with a ton of pages, which i have no patience to scroll through with eye problems. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 07:02 PM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
I have not been keeping up with Penny Black and the hedgies, since my kids have grown up and I don't participate in swaps anymore. Who is the new hedgie artist and can you link me to the new hedgies. I went to pb website but I can't locate the new hedgies. it's just a critter category with a ton of pages, which i have no patience to scroll through with eye problems. Thanks

Maybe someone else can chime in who the artist is, but I think wavejumper is referring to this style of hedgie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2019, 07:54 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
Maybe someone else can chime in who the artist is, but I think wavejumper is referring to this style of hedgie.
Thank you so much. But I must say I am shocked at this new style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 02:36 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- George RR Martin had severe writer's block from the pressure of finishing the last book. He shut down about it. You brought up a good example of what I call the factory line mob mentality of the entertainment industry. George RR Martin has other series he writes and GOT was a big series that took a lot of time but newer fans wanted him to finish the series NOW. There lies the factory line mob mentality. He's such a sweetie in real life. I have loved him since he wrote the Beauty & the Beast TV series. He's actually very patient and laid back. Trust me I badgered him a lot about Beauty & the Beast when I was younger, lol.

I do see stamp artists getting crowded out in this industry. Over at one of my artist forums there are several discussions about this. My friends who do design art for stamp lines says it's so competitive now. Like I mentioned before I don't follow trends but what I am reading that there are stamp companies who are turning out stamp lines at a fast pace, retiring them after a very short amount of time and requesting artists to make more simple lines that can match dies. One of my friends said she left the stamping world because the company she worked for wanted her to "water" down her art, make it more line art so it would be easier to design dies around. She knew she couldn't do that as an artist. Her brain couldn't even switch to that kind of art. One of my other friends was hurt that her stamps were only out for a "limited" time then retired in a month or two. She went on to make her own digital Etsy store is selling her work at a better profit than she made with the stamp companies. She was "limited" her income was limited too. Now, that she has her own store if somebody sees an image of her from a digi stamper on YouTube, for example, and it's two years old they can still buy her image and also become a fan. I know I have seen threads over here about complaints of stamps being retired quickly or only a certain amount sold then that's it. I think the industry wants to trend to "fast fashion". I am not knocking it. I am not on the business side of this so I am not even going to make guesses about this new trend. As an artist you do pay attention because we need to know to protect our own interests.

I grew up with an entertainer Dad & a craft star Mom. Sadly I know all the cogs in both industries, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 03:47 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Wow - those PB hedgies are certainly very different to the Margaret Sherry ones! I think they're still cute, in a modern way.

I think it's time fast fashion went out in stamps as well as in the clothing industry ;-). I was looking for a nice flamingo before they were in, found a Stampendous one and while a flock of plenty more nice ones came long later, I was happy with the one I had.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 07:19 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

This PB set has another hedgie. Looks a little more like the old hedgies but not sure it's a Margaret Sherry hedgie...
Penny Black - take me away
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:19 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Just found this - I didn't know:

The World of Cross Stitching

April 11 ·

We have some sad news to share with you all. Sadly, Margaret Sherry has passed away.
Margaret’s daughter has released the following statement:
It is with the deepest sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Margaret Sherry, aged 72. She passed away peacefully surrounded by family after losing her battle with cancer. She was a devoted mother and grandmother and she has left a huge void in our family.
Margaret was an incredibly talented and inspirational artist, who over many years created a massive range of much-loved characters for cross stitch magazines and greetings cards. She was aware of, and extremely humbled by, her following, and her wish was not to let her characters die with her. Therefore, she passed the legacy on to me, her daughter, to continue the company and ensure The Margaret Sherry Collection and the vast catalogue of published and unpublished designs continue to be released and enjoyed long after her passing.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #29  

WJ, thank you for thinking of me as you listed artists whose style you recognize - as far as my stamp line, I do keep an eye on trends, but I also do what I want, which is why I have everything from vintage men with a selfie stick to guinea pigs in fascinators in my stamp line. I have taken requests for specific images, but I'm never pressured to be anything other than myself. There's no artist/designer think tank where we all say AARDVARKS THIS YEAR or anything like that. Or if there is, nobody told me. ;)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:23 AM   #30  

Now I have to go draw an aardvark. Probably with a hat on.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don’t know how they access it, but I feel it is clear there is some consortium of art that can be purchased and then turned into stamps. (And yes, it is sometimes unclear that the stamp owner didn’t draw the art themselves.) The reason I say this is because I have noticed over the years that the exact same image (or the mirror image) is released in a stamp set by two different companies.

I have also seen a bird released, and then that exact bird as part of a collage stamp from another company. I do not think these companies are copying each other, I think they just don’t know the artist sold a similar design before.

I personally like to know the artist’s name who draws the stamp but know it isn’t always like that. I do see Impression Obsession names their artists, and some companies have lines that are named, as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Just found this - I didn't know:

The World of Cross Stitching

April 11 ·

We have some sad news to share with you all. Sadly, Margaret Sherry has passed away.
Margaret’s daughter has released the following statement:
It is with the deepest sadness that I announce the death of my mother, Margaret Sherry, aged 72. She passed away peacefully surrounded by family after losing her battle with cancer. She was a devoted mother and grandmother and she has left a huge void in our family.
Margaret was an incredibly talented and inspirational artist, who over many years created a massive range of much-loved characters for cross stitch magazines and greetings cards. She was aware of, and extremely humbled by, her following, and her wish was not to let her characters die with her. Therefore, she passed the legacy on to me, her daughter, to continue the company and ensure The Margaret Sherry Collection and the vast catalogue of published and unpublished designs continue to be released and enjoyed long after her passing.

That is so sad! Thanks for sharing! Her images are definitely my most favorites to work/play with! I was even tempted to buy a recent cross stitch magazine which included her images, but I haven't cross stitched in probably 30 years and don't think I ever finished anything, so I didn't get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 09:18 AM   #33  

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
I don’t know how they access it, but I feel it is clear there is some consortium of art that can be purchased and then turned into stamps. (And yes, it is sometimes unclear that the stamp owner didn’t draw the art themselves.) The reason I say this is because I have noticed over the years that the exact same image (or the mirror image) is released in a stamp set by two different companies.
Shutterstock and other similar sites have line art that can be purchased for commercial use, and that use is not exclusive.

There is also published vintage art in the public domain - that is fair game for derivative use. There are also photo sites with no use restrictions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
I personally like to know the artist’s name who draws the stamp but know it isn’t always like that. I do see Impression Obsession names their artists, and some companies have lines that are named, as well.
If there are artists that they license work from directly, this is often the case. Not always though! My friend Nina designs for Penny Black and doesn't receive credit.
Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by dini; 12-31-2019 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 09:45 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
Shutterstock and other similar sites have line art that can be purchased for commercial use, and that use is not exclusive.

There is also published vintage art in the public domain - that is fair game for derivative use. There are also photo sites with no use restrictions.

If there are artists that they license work from directly, this is often the case. Not always though! My friend Nina designs for Penny Black and doesn't receive credit.

Thank you Dina! I would have thought that the licensing would be exclusive but you must be right!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 04:37 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Heidi-up there ^^^ we got this good in depth explanation of artists who may sell the art to more than one company in case you missed it.

Thanks for linking Ellibelle. That is a perfect example. Ok so I am NOT crazy. The art has changed on the hedgies and for such a sad reason!! : I didn't even know she was doing cross stitch. The hedgie we know and love was not first generation. There was another one (and mice) that were...simpler for lack of a better term. They may have also been done by the same artist and evolved. I think?? the take me away set is the old style btw...

Gee I sure hope she has more art to release...if Sherry was drawing when the kids were little what lucky duckies they were!!

Dina what is a little funny here is that one thing about your truly varied line, is the silhouettes. Which I avoided like plague for years thinking I could not work with them but looking at your work I feel more empowered to try...so have gotten some. Which in turn led me to also get some Lavinia fairies...it is always a slippery slope! LOL

By the way Dina-just sayin...there are aardvarks out there already. AI has a set with one in it, stamping bella has one, hero arts did a layered one that I just saw today on deep sale and I cant remember where, but it is at scrapbook.com too not on sale...I thought it might have been DiesRUs because they have a huge multi-company sale happening...and look at the "dutch" to see internationals.

None of those are wearing hats or scarves though!

I have noticed there seems to be an increase in the name of the artists being put on the index in the clear sets (along with the set name which I really appreciate a LOT

re: fast rotations....I agree. I got totally caught out with a few things when I blinked. Unfortunately one was Witt and Sass...and she closed. :(

There does seem to be a big shift towards digi now...to my sadness see: Mo Manning. But it sounds like the artists can maintain an good size collection of their work. Although I think it was...Wild Rose Studio in the UK who said they got in trouble with digi and VATs or something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 05:17 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Heidi-up there ^^^ we got this good in depth explanation of artists who may sell the art to more than one company in case you missed it.

Thanks for linking Ellibelle. That is a perfect example. Ok so I am NOT crazy. The art has changed on the hedgies and for such a sad reason!! : I didn't even know she was doing cross stitch. The hedgie we know and love was not first generation. There was another one (and mice) that were...simpler for lack of a better term. They may have also been done by the same artist and evolved. I think?? the take me away set is the old style btw...

Gee I sure hope she has more art to release...if Sherry was drawing when the kids were little what lucky duckies they were!!

Dina what is a little funny here is that one thing about your truly varied line, is the silhouettes. Which I avoided like plague for years thinking I could not work with them but looking at your work I feel more empowered to try...so have gotten some. Which in turn led me to also get some Lavinia fairies...it is always a slippery slope! LOL

By the way Dina-just sayin...there are aardvarks out there already. AI has a set with one in it, stamping bella has one, hero arts did a layered one that I just saw today on deep sale and I cant remember where, but it is at scrapbook.com too not on sale...I thought it might have been DiesRUs because they have a huge multi-company sale happening...and look at the "dutch" to see internationals.

None of those are wearing hats or scarves though!

I have noticed there seems to be an increase in the name of the artists being put on the index in the clear sets (along with the set name which I really appreciate a LOT

re: fast rotations....I agree. I got totally caught out with a few things when I blinked. Unfortunately one was Witt and Sass...and she closed. :(

There does seem to be a big shift towards digi now...to my sadness see: Mo Manning. But it sounds like the artists can maintain an good size collection of their work. Although I think it was...Lili of the Valley in the UK who said they got in trouble with digi and VATs or something?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 03:59 PM   #37  
Glitter Queen

Re: Tim Holtz. I watch his videos over and over and he frequently says that he doesn't do the design. He said he couldn't keep up if he did. He also wants to provide different images and not have everything look alike. He has even said that he buys designs from artists. So there isn't any secrecy to his method. He will also mention sometimes how he got an image and will even tell you where to look (i.e.he'll name companies).

On another note: I feel that I'm being backed into a corner on buying stamps. Fewer rubber is being produced and everything is going to plastic (yes, I know the proper terms but I'm being sarcastic.) Thank heavens there are still some good smaller companies like 100 proof press and Beeswax.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaOKCView Post
Re: Tim Holtz. I watch his videos over and over and he frequently says that he doesn't do the design. He said he couldn't keep up if he did. He also wants to provide different images and not have everything look alike. He has even said that he buys designs from artists. So there isn't any secrecy to his method. He will also mention sometimes how he got an image and will even tell you where to look (i.e.he'll name companies).

On another note: I feel that I'm being backed into a corner on buying stamps. Fewer rubber is being produced and everything is going to plastic (yes, I know the proper terms but I'm being sarcastic.) Thank heavens there are still some good smaller companies like 100 proof press and Beeswax.
I agree with you completely on rubber vs photopolymer/acrylic/silicone. I own quite a few stamps that fall into the "plastic" category because I loved the image and that was the only format available, but they definitely do not have the longevity of rubber (regardless of how high-end or quality they are). Purple Onion Designs, Stampingbella, and Unity have been among my faves for a while now...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 07:54 AM   #39  

I've even seen photopolymer sets described as 'disposable'. :/ They definitely can't produce the detail in an image that rubber can. Rubber has been my preference for my line all along, except for the layering sets. Most of my clear sets have elements that are available in rubber as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Dina, thank you for the sad info on Margaret Sherry's passing - I've been a huge fan of the PB hedgehog stamps for years. And when I saw the "hedgie luv" set, I was quite surprised as I don't like those hedgehogs much at all and wondered why the look had changed.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes