Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-25-2019, 06:37 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?

I came across a couple longer cards that I really liked. So much so that I bought some longer stamps to make some of these long cards.

Does anyone else like to make non traditional sized cards like these? I'm really not into the square cards right now. Who knows, maybe downthe line I will be

Does anyone have any samples of longer cards they made? Any maybe some measurements? *** I would have to say that's one of my biggest issues with card making (all the layer measurements)

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 06:55 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I like making cards in non-traditional sizes but LOVE going small (lunch notes and scraplings and ATCs and such). I have made a handful of longer cards, though. If you make them 3 1/2" by up to 8 1/2" they will fit in a standard business envelope. If you make the panel 1/2" smaller than the base in both directions (length and width), it gives a nice border. Adjust up/down as it pleases you. Here are a few samples:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:45 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Sue, these are beautiful! So glad you shared these and got the thinking cap on.

A few years back, Gina K made a video making a long card. She has measurements under the video.
Kristina Werner makes these size cards quite a bit. Here is one, but the measurements are not in her blog post. http://www.kwernerdesign.com/blog/in...card-supplies/
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:51 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lovely cards! I used to make long cards, particularly when enclosing a long gift certificate. But I haven’t made that size for several years. I am a regular 4 1/4 x 5 1/2 cardmaker. I made a larger wedding card for my daughter last month and it was a fun challenge to fill up the space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 07:59 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the ideas. Awesome cards by the way.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 08:01 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Love these cards. TFS. Can you tell me the name of the stamp that you used on the Merry Christmas candy cane card that was stamped 3x ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I like making cards in non-traditional sizes but LOVE going small (lunch notes and scraplings and ATCs and such). I have made a handful of longer cards, though. If you make them 3 1/2" by up to 8 1/2" they will fit in a standard business envelope. If you make the panel 1/2" smaller than the base in both directions (length and width), it gives a nice border. Adjust up/down as it pleases you. Here are a few samples:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Love these cards. TFS. Can you tell me the name of the stamp that you used on the Merry Christmas candy cane card that was stamped 3x ?
It's a long-retired Stampin'Up! wheel that I un-mounted (much easier to stamp as I am seriously wheel-challenged). It's called Candy Cane Christmas and I found some on Ebay and Etsy. That card was for a challenge to make a Christmas card in non-traditional colors...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you have any old SU wheels, they work great with this format. The European business format is a little different to the US, but same idea.

WT708 Simple Symphony by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers

Musical Thanks by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers

New Musical Home by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers

TLC331 Framed Snowmen by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers

CCC11 CAS Sparkle by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 12:26 PM   #9  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Oops, I should have refreshed the page before posting as now I see Sue has referenced the old wheels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It's a long-retired Stampin'Up! wheel that I un-mounted (much easier to stamp as I am seriously wheel-challenged). It's called Candy Cane Christmas and I found some on Ebay and Etsy. That card was for a challenge to make a Christmas card in non-traditional colors...
I unmounted all wheels too! So much easier than the roller wheel!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I have made long cards using up some 6x6 cardstock. Just fold in half! I have a few other "odd" size envelopes and I plan to get busy creating cards to fit them so I can clear the oddballs out of my stash.
Great cards, Sue!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2019, 10:40 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

OMG!!! The wheels!!!! Now that's an great idea. Off to Ebay I go. LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:21 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

While you are in ebay...look for Stamps Happen stamps...they have a number of them that are long.

Some are actually HUGE. One hundred years comes to mind. I made that one for my DH for our anniversary. I almost used a whole 8 1/2 x 11 folded in half to do it.

Unfortunately I cant link you bc despite being signed OUT they still have a lot of my personal info exposed which is ticking me off now that I see it.

Keep in mind you can make a long image by repeating a single image. Some lend themselves to that. Like a wheel but not Many border stamps or dies can be lined up. Or you can do a pretty repeat like Sue has with the flower.

Plus you also have the same options an A2 does for non stamps cards-using dies cuts, pattern papers, alcohol inks, WC backgrounds etc.

Last edited by wavejumper; 12-27-2019 at 06:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:54 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
While you are in ebay...look for Stamps Happen stamps...they have a number of them that are long.

Some are actually HUGE. One hundred years comes to mind. I made that one for my DH for our anniversary. I almost used a whole 8 1/2 x 11 folded in half to do it.

Unfortunately I cant link you bc despite being signed OUT they still have a lot of my personal info exposed which is ticking me off now that I see it.

Keep in mind you can make a long image by repeating a single image. Some lend themselves to that. Like a wheel but not Many border stamps or dies can be lined up. Or you can do a pretty repeat like Sue has with the flower.

Plus you also have the same options an A2 does for non stamps cards-using dies cuts, pattern papers, alcohol inks, WC backgrounds etc.

Have you cleared your cache? The info you are seeing may be from an older page stored on your device. Just a thought....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 08:25 AM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have long cards on my to do list for 2020 as I think they look like fun. Any good sources for companion envelopes rather than business ones in office supply stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 09:38 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I am in catalog sample mode, and I have made several cards that are 3-1/2" x 6" - it's a cute size!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 09:39 AM   #17  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default love business envelope size cards!

hi, I make LOTS of tall cards, that fit in business envelopes and still mail with a FOREVER stamp! so much fun and space to work. I have posted some over the past couple of years, I make many, I just don't take time to post everything. I use 9 1/4 x 4" for my basic dimension and I always use S U THICK whisper white as a cardstock base. that makes all the difference in the durability and they stand / balance much better.
hope you take a minute to browse my gallery to see a few and I will try to remember to add some in.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Teresa
aztk
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 10:35 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default aztk, link to 9 1/4 x 4 long cards in my gallery

hi there, I will include some links since it may not be readily apparent which are the long 9 1/4 x 4 inch cards, in my gallery. There are a few more if you go to my gallery to see them all.

Frankie's bride in the kitchen by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Easter Bonnet time by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Happy 18th birthday girl by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Graffiti Birthday by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Christmas Party Dress by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 AM   #19  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I am in catalog sample mode, and I have made several cards that are 3-1/2" x 6" - it's a cute size!
Any link so I can see them. They do sound cute. Do you make your own envelopes for them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 01:28 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I make mostly 5.5x4.25” cards because it’s easy and I have dies that are perfect for layering. But I do make other sizes. I make larger cards if I love a piece of 6x6 paper and can’t bear to trim it too much or at all. I have a few stamps that are large/tall and suit a bigger card like Julie Nutting dolls. Or if I make a card for a group to sign. I make it larger, at least 5x7 and then I sometimes add another page inside for signatures.

And I have some dies that make a beautiful large shaped cards but aren’t standard size, mostly by Spellbinders. Sometimes scene cards are fun if they are tall or wide. I have some elephants holding balloons which look good on a tall card and there are tons of critter stamps that look good on a wide card so you have room for lots of them. So I buy business envelopes for them. But with oodles scrapbook scrap stack paper pads in my stash, I just make an envelope for odd sizes with my WRMK envelope template. People like getting matching envelopes too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2019, 02:01 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I almost always make 8 1/2 X 5 1/2 cards, so twice the size of an A2 card. There are very few exceptions to this, as you'll see in my gallery. I just feel like if I'm going to send someone a card, I want it to be special, and bigger is better! Doing A9 cards (8.5 X 5.5) also allows me to buy a standard envelope (PaperPapers.com clearance is my go-to for envelopes, sign up for emails and wait for the sales).

my gallery:
contrapat Member Gallery - Page 1 - Splitcoaststampers.com

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 03:39 AM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for sharing your cards. So nice. As for the envelopes. Do you just get the regular ole business envelopes at Walmart/Office supply stores? They just seem so "impersonal" to me. I don't care for the blue "security" flap in the back, etc.

I would prefer to get colored long envelopes. I basically only do Christmas cards (on a rare occasion, I'll do a birthday, get well, sympathy type card---my goal is to make more of these this year). So I would essentially like to have a colored envelope that matches the card inside. Not 100% matchy-matchy, but if I do a snowflake card, I'd like to put it in a blue envleope. A Christmas tree card in a green envelope, santa card in a red, etc. You get the idea. I'd also like gold & silver.

Anyhow, besides Envleopes . com do you other places to get long envelopes? Thanks so much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aztkView Post
hi there, I will include some links since it may not be readily apparent which are the long 9 1/4 x 4 inch cards, in my gallery. There are a few more if you go to my gallery to see them all.

Frankie's bride in the kitchen by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Easter Bonnet time by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Happy 18th birthday girl by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Graffiti Birthday by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Christmas Party Dress by aztk - at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 04:04 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I may be old-fashioned, but I still quite like the three motifs (usually three versions of a similar motif) towards the top of a long card and the sentiment at the bottom. Looks particularly effective with small motifs on a card blank made from A5 cardstock folded longways - sorry, not sure if it translates well to US sizes. The envelopes are easily available, too. One of the Christmas cards I made was like that, but of course it's now with the recipient so I'm afraid I can't provide a picture!

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #24  
Watercolor Wizard

Default Where to get envelopes

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Thank you for sharing your cards. So nice. As for the envelopes. Do you just get the regular ole business envelopes at Walmart/Office supply stores? They just seem so "impersonal" to me. I don't care for the blue "security" flap in the back, etc.

I would prefer to get colored long envelopes. I basically only do Christmas cards (on a rare occasion, I'll do a birthday, get well, sympathy type card---my goal is to make more of these this year). So I would essentially like to have a colored envelope that matches the card inside. Not 100% matchy-matchy, but if I do a snowflake card, I'd like to put it in a blue envleope. A Christmas tree card in a green envelope, santa card in a red, etc. You get the idea. I'd also like gold & silver.

Anyhow, besides Envleopes . com do you other places to get long envelopes? Thanks so much.
See post #21

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 06:32 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

No but I think I am going to start doing this in 2020 .

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

One of my all-time favorite long cards - not by me! By Angelnorth:

Hello and welcome! by Angelnorth - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 02:23 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I often make long/tall cards because the design calls for it and I also like to mix things up now and then. I mainly use three different sizes, all of which are standard sizes, come in different textures and colors and can be mailed for regular rate (as long as they are not too heavy and don't have poky embellishments or are overweight. Below are some examples. I had to pare down my choices as I had so many. The first set are 3 1/2 x 6 1/4 (small business envelope). The second are 3 3/4 x 8 1/2 and the last are 3 7/8 x 9 1/4 (which fit in a large business envelope.

I tried to show that you don't always need a large stamp to make a long/tall card.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-real-copy-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-black-vanilla-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-vintage-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-wishes-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-you-rule-copy.jpg  

Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-scalloped-wrapped-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-blocked-ferns-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-copper-3-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-forest-mountain-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-sampler-6-copy.jpg  

Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-hooray-pocket-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-long-copy.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-long-copy-2.jpg   Do you make long cards instead of the traditional A2?-paper-cord-copy.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #28  
Watercolor Wizard

Woo! I especially like the pines with the torn edges, which is weird, because I usually don't like "distressed" of torn. Great job!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Thank you for the compliment!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess & DSS Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I unmounted all wheels too! So much easier than the roller wheel!

Ooh, I have a pile..now maybe I should try it too! Thanks for the suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 04:41 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I like mixing it up by making sizes other than A2. If you still want more examples, here are some from my gallery:

Some of these fit business envelopes, others have envelopes I made them with my envelope punch board.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 05:38 PM   #32  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I like mixing it up by making sizes other than A2. If you still want more examples, here are some from my gallery:

Some of these fit business envelopes, others have envelopes I made them with my envelope punch board.
I especially like the balls & holly one! Cool. I may have to try something in this size range.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 07:23 PM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

Susan,
Your cards are amazing. I especially like the blue one with the gold embossed branches and stars. How did you do the background? So striking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #34  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Susan,
Your cards are amazing. I especially like the blue one with the gold embossed branches and stars. How did you do the background? So striking!

Thanks, Jeanne. Here's the link to the blue one with the gold stars and branches. I explain how I did it there.

Tissue behind Acetate by susanbri - at Splitcoaststampers

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2020, 08:53 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You've all inspired me! I love to do different card folds, and when I make cards for multiple people to sign I make either 5 x 7 or 8 1/2 x 5 1/2, but I only made one long card years ago. I love the examples you've all posted. It's about time to start making Valentines, so I think I'll try one this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes