View Single Post
Old 12-19-2019, 04:31 PM   #27
bjeans
Glitter Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdoreen View Post
You are so right! One of Stampin Up's greatest features was the versatility and mix-and-match ability of its product line. The idea that one can have a few supplies, but get a lot of mileage from them was a huge selling point. If SU wanted to cater to seasoned stampers, it would add product that match older sets of dies, stamps, tools etc.

I rarely buy SU new due to the cost and mostly rely on resales. The quality of the tools and even its cohesive color scheme is another strong suit for SU, but I often scratched my head as to why anyone would buy a big shot or paper snips, for ex., at almost twice the cost of the very same non-branded items. Yes, demos and designers deserve to make money (and a lot of it) but maybe SU HQ should take less of a cut from the profits instead of cutting from the bottom and squeezing customers. I cant imagine that production/overhead costs, even factoring in overhead, is almost double that of Sizzix or Ek Success.

I want SU and the entire industry to flourish, but when I see dies selling at $25 - $50, when AliExpress sells similar size dies at $1-5, it feels like we are being gauged. I want to reward designers for good designs, and companies for good customer service, and I try to buy on sale but how can I justify spending on a piece of thin metal or plastic (embossing folder) what it costs for dinner for a family? At some point it tips from splurge into insanity.
I don’t have that many SU items, and think they’re more expensive than some companies, plus their business model isn’t one I’m a big fan of. But AliExpress sells at those low prices because 1) many of their designs are stolen from legitimate designers, artists and companies - including SU, and 2) their employees work in close to slave labor conditions. Lots of articles about that.

They put artists out of work. (I know one personally.) They negatively impact small businesses, and some spend countless hours contacting Amazon to report stolen designs.

But comparing to other legit companies is fair, and it seems like really good sales happen more often by some other companies, plus the large-scale retire/bring out new colors isn’t present.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!