Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Say hi to the guys and a play along for January?

Ok...so I just watched this vid from Rina (Gina K's DD) and Simon Hurley-they are doing a series where they sit with people from the industry and in this one it was Jennifer McGuire...

But the most interesting thing to me was JM was talking about the increase of "dudes in the industry" and asked Simon to please link up a bunch of guys he knows...which he did.

And a bulb went off in my head.
We are always talking about how to make masculine cards. Sending people to the Male Room (which is dedicated to masculine cards) for ideas.

Well...maybe it would do us a lot of good to go check out what men are making themselves to gain insight.

So here is the play along part. I could link them here. The people who want to play along, go check out these guys over a couple weeks and come back here and talk about it.
-Like "Guy a" does a lot of cool graphics that I love, etc...
-talk about if you learned any insights about how men think about cards and what they find attractive in a card-are you seeing common elements or ways of doing things between them?
-and whatever else comes to mind.

I know it is the busy Christmas season so we can do this after--like come January. I am happy to report there is a BUNCH! Not counting Simon and Tim Holtz-there are 13 of them! If anyone knows more...feel free to add the links!

Does this sound like fun to anyone? Do you want me to do the links now or wait till January? Or would you rather I just do the links now and forget the play along?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Well I started looking and it seems like most of the links are for Instagram accounts which shows us cards they have made along with the usual other stuff...I am going to see if I can find actual blogs. Be back tomorrow with the report.

Last edited by wavejumper; 12-09-2019 at 07:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 05:39 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I've noticed a few new guys here on SCS...I'll see if I can find them again. Or maybe they'll chime in themselves!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Fionna-sure I can think of at least one guy I know here who does a lot of digi work so I dont understand his descriptions but his cards are cool....if you can round em up that would be great!

((banging head on table)))I KNEW I should have broken it up into more than one post after I lost it the first time with only 2 links done.
Now I lost it with all 13 done.
Shoot me now. You can have the ice cream in my freezer.

Let's start again...this time I WILL be doing more than one post.

I cant find blogs for all of them-if you do please link us up. I think the instagrams are worth cruising.

Ricky Bromero
Is doing a card drive for people whose dogs are seriously ill. (ie cancer) so it opens there but just click down the right side to see what he is making

http://bromerocards.com/2019/11/13/c...live-like-roo/

Jeff Lindberg works for Disney by day and makes at night and you will recognize a number of faces in his instagram

Jeff Lindberg (@mrjefflindberg) • Instagram photos and videos

Andrew Granick who relaxes people for a living and must have great patience- I am liking the inlay he is doing...

Andrew Granick (@andygranick) • Instagram photos and videos

Jaycee Gaspar has a blog. You can see the influence of his science work on his craftwork. Loving those moons...

JGaultier – Papercraft by Jaycee Gaspar

That's four so I am going to a new post. There will be 13 in total
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:44 PM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Daniel West has a blog called Del and Artie.
The B&W goddess with the red sphere-cool look

https://www.delandartie.com/

Del and Artie (@delandartie) • 577 Instagram photos and videos

Tanner Bob Bell...is full on making a living crafting with a month club and other things. Been making money since he was 15...now 19. Big into cricut. Gotta love a guy with pics of three full carts coming out of Michaels, armfuls from the dollar store...and it is looking like he bought a house?! Before 20. That's impressive.

Tanner Bob Bell (@tannerbell1023) on Instagram

Bobby Fort seems to like 3D things and the nutcrackers are pretty darn amazing...
https://www.facebook.com/bobbyspaper...dmin_todo_tour

Bobby's Papercraft (@bobbyspapercraft) on Instagram

Mike Fernholz's blog has some Judaic as well as shaped cards

DeZinesbyEM

Sean Covert is a make up artist with a blog called Scrappy Boy and is venturing into paper crafts

http://www.scrappyboy.com/

Moving on to the next post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 07:52 PM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Richard Breaks
This is only his 2nd YT so click on the likes...he has a good suggestion for die storage...

Richard Breaks (@rlbreaks) • Instagram photos and videos

Marty Casey

I am digging the dear in the first row and the moon down in the halloween card at first glance...men and moons-is this a trend?

Marty Casey (@miffersss) • Instagram photos and videos

And we get into pros now...

Frank Garcia works with Prima and has his own website

https://www.frankgarciastudio.com/

Ken Oliver whose color bursts many love

https://kenolivercrafts.com/

Tim Holtz who needs no intro

Tim Holtz

That complete the 13 Simon gave us. I should link Simon Hurley for those who dont know him-fast rising teen star....already designing stamps and inks.

Simon Hurley - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 08:08 PM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Other men I know of....

Bjeans and I were just talking about Scott...his Card Cut-ups blog is fun. He gets two monthly packages-Hero and Lizzy from England and he challenges himself to both make 10 cards and use all the product in the kits (he is allowed to use other as well)
He is a wit who loves a pun and does a lot of self printed sentiments.

CardCut-ups – Spreading cheer and inspiration with handmade cards and paper crafting

I have known Michael Trent for years (though now he probably would not remember me) since he was here in NYC working in my LSS. He has since left for Brazil and opened his own LSS. Michael has a huge love for coffee...he also uses bic pens and hand cuts things with an xacto knife perfectly. I met him when he was making crazy good layered sample cards with Outlines stamps...

World Of Michael Trent

Many know what Stampscapes are, but for those who dont...they are an amazing series of stamps you can layer to create landscapes. This is the home site and I can just sit and watch them makes these cards all day long...the class I took with them (and was sitting next to Michael Trent) was so great-it was really about teaching us to use Stazon inks on gloss paper but we used this line of stamps. The first link is to a stamp a long. I thought how he does the lightning is great.

http://www.stampscapes.com/lessonset.html

http://www.stampscapes.com/information.html

So wander around and let's talk about your discoveries and thoughts in January. If you know of more- by ALL means link em up!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 10:28 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Hi Fionna-sure I can think of at least one guy I know here who does a lot of digi work so I dont understand his descriptions but his cards are cool....if you can round em up that would be great!

You're thinking of Brent, Brentscards. Yes, I think his work is amazing. I started making cards in digi back in the early nineties, but never got that skilled.

I didn't realise it was that long ago, 2012 since he last posted, Andy Skinner had a gallery. He's still very active in mixed media, with Creative Expressions producing his range of products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:14 AM   #9  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I remember there was one on G45´s designteam once, that was called The Gentlemancrafter, but I can´t remember his name or anything, and I also know about an English man, who I once made an article about in The Papercrafter, which is a Scandinavian online magazine, but will have to look back to find his name too, so wll try and find it, and come back with that later.

Okay I found the article, that I wrote about him a few years ago, and his name is: Neil Burley and he´s from Leicester in the UK, and here´s a link to his blog: http://perfectly4med.co.uk/page/2/ and here´s his Facebookpage too: The Studio

I found The Gentlemancrafter´s blog here: http://www.thegentlemancrafter.com/

That´s the 2 I´ve come across beside the ones already mentioned here, but they´re both really talented and do very different work, so have fun ladies.

Last edited by Maryannla; 12-11-2019 at 01:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:31 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I loved looking through all these links. Our men are so talented. Ricky's site made me cry. Doggies are not supposed to get sick, ever!

Here's one of my fav's I discovered this Summer- Paper to Masterpiece - YouTube

Love his style because he doesn't have one. He can do goth one moment and elegant the next. He's heavy on die cutting and simple techniques. Those are two of my favorites right now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:43 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaryannlaView Post
I remember there was one on G45´s designteam once, that was called The Gentlemancrafter, but I can´t remember his name or anything, and I also know about an English man, who I once made an article about in The Papercrafter, which is a Scandinavian online magazine, but will have to look back to find his name too, so wll try and find it, and come back with that later.

Okay I found the article, that I wrote about him a few years ago, and his name is: Neil Burley and he´s from Leicester in the UK, and here´s a link to his blog: http://perfectly4med.co.uk/page/2/ and here´s his Facebookpage too: The Studio

I found The Gentlemancrafter´s blog here: http://www.thegentlemancrafter.com/

That´s the 2 I´ve come across beside the ones already mentioned here, but they´re both really talented and do very different work, so have fun ladies.
And then I totally forgot one of the most known overhere, which is: Craig Laird from Crafters Companion, he does loads of videos for crafters Companion and live TV and is really talented too. You can find him on Crafters Companions website and Facebookpage too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:56 AM   #12  
Inking Addict

I follow a couple of Stampin Up demos who are guys.
Stampwithbrian.com Brian King
Rickadkins.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 06:14 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

There's Sid, a man in the UK who does some great cards, tags, ATC's. Love his latest post:

Harpies Crafty Corner: Snowflakes ...

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 07:27 AM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

I have two to add to the list:

Phill Martin Stockists of craft products from all the major brands.

Andy Skinner <cite style="color: rgb(0, 109, 33); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; overflow-wrap: break-word; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">www.andyskinnercrafts.com</cite>
<cite style="color: rgb(0, 109, 33); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; overflow-wrap: break-word; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</cite>
<cite style="color: rgb(0, 109, 33); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; overflow-wrap: break-word; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">Both are very talented men who were and are affiliated with Creative Expressions. Phill Martin now is on his own and Andy Skinner is still associated with Creative Expressions. Not sure if my links will work... I never tried to add links in my posts!!:???:</cite>
<cite style="color: rgb(0, 109, 33); font-family: Arial,Helvetica,Sans-Serif; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: 400; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; overflow-wrap: break-word; text-align: left; text-decoration: none; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; white-space: normal; word-spacing: 0px;">
</cite>
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 07:40 AM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 78 Likes on 42 Posts

Richard Breaks also has a blog, which is how I first found him.

That's MISTER Cardmaker, to you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default Hi all, one more.

One that I follow is Seth Apter who is a mixed media artist but does a lot of small paper crafts and Journals. A lot of what he does can be used in card making. He is on many SM platforms, very active on Facebook. His website is Seth Apter | art and design
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 08:33 AM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Default If you like over the top beautiful layers on your cards.

If you are a maximallist or love colourful cards, tags etc. you`ll want to check out Andrew Roberts a former G45 designer from Tasmania, Australia. His blog is found at Down under crafter

I look forward to seeing more of this thread in January. Until then Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #18  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Jaycee Gaspar has a blog. You can see the influence of his science work on his craftwork. Loving those moons...
Hi there. First time to the community. I was looking at stats on my blog and was wondering where the influx of people came from so suddenly. I typically don't see this kind of site traffic unless I'm part of a blog hop so I investigated a bit and found this awesome forum.

I'm glad you took the time to find a few of us guys and link to our social media accounts and blogs. I know many of these guys have YouTube Channels as well and have excellent content. I have to credit Jeff, Daniel, Simon and many others for posting and sharing publically on Instagram. If it wasn't for the #dudescrafttoo, I personally wouldn't have shared my card making projects online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Hi Jaycee! It is great to actually see one of you here! I hope you will join the community and post your work! We always welcome the menfolk!

Yes...we are a huge community of over 200K strong from all over the world. I bet you keep seeing traffic over time! I know you can appreciate this time of year is busy.

Sabrina-Yes! I was thinking of Brent! Thanks!

Here is his gallery:
brentsCards Member Gallery - Page 1 - Splitcoaststampers.com

Andy skinner-so funny- I JUST got three of his specialty embossing powders!

Seth Apter does a lot of classes at my LSS-but in multi media so I dont take them but I should have remembered!

Linda! Cool! You have Breaks's site link!

Oh yeah! I have seen Brian King/SU around...I dont remember how though...

So many more to look at! Yay! January is going to be so interesting!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 05:43 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Very interesting. When I have time I will check these out. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Some of our male British crafters.

The Gentleman Crafter

Phill Martin

John Lockwood

Last edited by Kathleen Mc; 12-12-2019 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: Typos!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 03:27 PM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

I've followed Craig Laird for quite a while now, I like his style. He used to work for Fiskars but he's with Crafter's Companion nowadays.

Craig Laird (@craiglairdcc) • Instagram photos and videos

I love Phill Martin and Simon Hurley as well. Found some new male crafters through the links up above. Men have a different visual outlook on things, so it's good to get new ideas and inspiration. Dare I say it but they are "simpler" in their makes?? Less is more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 10:20 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Stampscapes is one of my favorite, I bought some of my first stamps from them over 30 years ago (I didn't know about card making until about 3 years ago) and they all still work great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 10:24 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Daniel West has a blog called Del and Artie.
The B&W goddess with the red sphere-cool look

https://www.delandartie.com/

Del and Artie (@delandartie) • 577 Instagram photos and videos

He does Facebook lives once in a while, too. I found out about them on Colorado & Co.'s mailing list.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 11:41 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaraView Post
If you are a maximallist or love colourful cards, tags etc. you`ll want to check out Andrew Roberts a former G45 designer from Tasmania, Australia. His blog is found at Down under crafter

I look forward to seeing more of this thread in January. Until then Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

I just went to take a peek-he does lovely work!!! I was sad to read when scrolling down, that he walked away from blogging b/c of horrible messages sent to him-seems like he may have just started again so please go give him love! I invited him to come play here. I really don't know what is wrong with people who do that. They need to get a life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2019, 03:40 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Here’s one I visit for inspiration. His coloring and projects are simply WOW to me.

Stampin’ Steve

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 11:34 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I skimmed through the suggested links and I have come to the conclusion that of all the amazing cards the men listed have made, very few are what I would consider masculine, with the exception of those any woman I know would make for a man. I'm not seeing much help in their cards for making a card that is totally masculine, as many are what I would judge as feminine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 05:45 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Maybe that’s because there is no strictly masculine or feminine card. I’m always a little confused by threads where someone wants ideas for masculine cards because the man/men they’re making it for doesn’t have “traditional” masculine hobbies.

Other than maybe some frilly cards, so many cards can be for anyone. Maybe fewer men (though not all) don’t like pink so much, so the card colors might change, but it’s the same card.

There are women card makers whose approach is minimal and/or graphic and men who use lots of detail and embellishments. It’s all good. Just my take. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2019, 03:54 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Yeah, when it comes down to it, it’s really what appeals to any specific person. But I am more comfortable sending a cute card to a woman than I am to a man. I know not all women like cutesy (we have had quite a few conversations about that here on SCS, lol) so don’t get mad at me for saying that

At the end of the day, I think most people just appreciate getting a note, regardless of what it looks like. As the creatives, we are the ones who want to express ourselves through what we create and put pressure on ourselves to “speak” or show love to the person through it. It’s a beautiful thought to go that extra mile, but just don’t let it stop you from reaching out to the person in some way. Even cutesy (for the non-cutesy) is better than a bill

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2019, 04:27 AM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I couldn’t agree more with everything you said!

And for a masculine card, just subtract frilly or super cutesy, maybe revisit colors (from pale pink/yellow to green/blue, not that women don’t love green/blue) and voila.

And some women - including me - love neutrals. A friend of mine is all about taupes and cream and dark chocolate, so I go there with a bit of an accent color when making her a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-23-2019, 08:01 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

Just came across this man, Pete Hughes, when I saw his card on Pinterest. He's done a wonderful video for it:

Starry Night (with Video) | Pete Hughes | Daily inspiration from our bloggers

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes