Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2019, 09:29 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Other brands of alcohol ink

Joggle's Joggles Black Friday 2019 Sale - Joggles.com
carries a variety of mixed media products and alcohol inks other than Tim Holtz's/Ranger such as: Kielty Alcohol Inks, Jacquard Pinata Color, and Marabu Alcohol Inks.

Have you tried any of them?
Which do you prefer and why?

When I replenish my stash of alcohol inks I'm gonna go for the Jacquard Pinata Color sets.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 03:48 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Marabu doesn’t bloom as much as Tim/Ranger/Adirondack. I wish I hadn’t purchased so many. I like the tip - tiny if opened correctly with a pin, but too tall to fit into the Tim alcohol ink cases, which I like.

BTW, I still like Yupo better than the alternative plastic paper, though the alternative is more cost effective.

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 05:05 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Marabu doesn’t bloom as much as Tim/Ranger/Adirondack. I wish I hadn’t purchased so many. I like the tip - tiny if opened correctly with a pin, but too tall to fit into the Tim alcohol ink cases, which I like.

BTW, I still like Yupo better than the alternative plastic paper, though the alternative is more cost effective.

YMMV.

Good to know. Have you tried painting with them using alcohol instead of water to moisten the brush?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 05:07 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Just a bit - of course alcohol removes or moves the color, so more for shoving and lightening - in a palette too. But To move ink around I generally use a straw or air in a can. If down the road I really really spend lots and lots of time alcohol inking I’ll consider a little compressor.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:05 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I like the Brea Reese and Piñata inks too. I move the inks around with the compressor I use for my markers. Using the straw produces gross results (I won't go into detail). I've found that all the brands I've used work well together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:10 AM   #6  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I like Art-C and Marabu and Pinata - Pinata has some really cool colors. I just did a video on Marabu's magical mixative which I could watch for hours!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:32 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I like Art-C and Marabu and Pinata - Pinata has some really cool colors. I just did a video on Marabu's magical mixative which I could watch for hours!

Thanks for sharing the video! I like the effects of the sparkly mixative mixed with the ink. Have you tried the sparkly mixative with other brands of alcohol ink?
I'm going to take advantage of Joggles sale and order the mixative along with a FEW colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:47 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

I just placed an order with Joggles for a few basic colors and 2 bottles of the rainbow ink. They'll make gorgeous backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 06:58 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I like the Brea Reese and Piñata inks too. I move the inks around with the compressor I use for my markers. Using the straw produces gross results (I won't go into detail). I've found that all the brands I've used work well together.

LOL @ gross results you won’t go into!

I forgot to mention I also use a puffer tool - do you know the one I mean? Like a dust blower. I’ll try to find the name.

Agree they all work together fine - including Marabu. It’s just that when I want a lot of blooming, I don’t reach for it. But it’s nice in other ways.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

One video leads to another giving me another rabbit hole to venture down, lol...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 07:17 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Yup, 4,938,810 videos. I’ve seen that - she’s pretty amazing. I‘ve been in CS strip mode plus have to get a few gift card holders made (and have been in an Instant Pot rabbit hole) so haven’t played with alcohol inks lately. Some months they call; some months they hibernate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I am glad you asked this question. I have been wondering about them myself...always great to have more colors...

oooo glitter sparkly stuff Lydia?? I WANT THAT! lol I think I need to take a walk tomorrow to Blick. Hope they have it.

Last edited by wavejumper; 12-07-2019 at 08:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 05:07 AM   #13  

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I am glad you asked this question. I have been wondering about them myself...always great to have more colors...

oooo glitter sparkly stuff Lydia?? I WANT THAT! lol I think I need to take a walk tomorrow to Blick. Hope they have it.

I'm sooooo jealous that you can walk to Blick! My nearest one requires an airplane!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

San Diego has a nice Blick; fly there!

When watching Lydia’s sparkly shimmery beginning part, see how the Marabu inks flow beautifully but don’t traditionally bloom/separate like other brands? That’s what I was referring to. But sometimes flow and not typical bloom is what’s wanted.

If anyone buys them, in the Joggles video introducing them, Barb said Maribu suggests opening the tip with a push pin. Or maybe that’s on their website? She has a couple reviews saying Malibu’s are bad because they pour out of the tip. But that’s user error.

P.S. I was looking for a picture of alcohol ink bloom so googled “alcohol ink bloom” (and blooming) and tapped Images at the top of the screen. Instead of blooming, a gazillion great pictures of a.i. flowers/blooms appeared. Got lost in them.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-08-2019 at 06:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 08:34 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Idea Paper options for alcohol inks

There's a lot of talk about using alcohol inks on Yupo paper with amazing results. I haven't tried it yet, too pricey for me.
When I do play with my inks I use the back of plastic For SALE signs from the dollar store and photo paper. I've been pleased with the results on both substrates.
At work we started using a waterproof paper called "Rite in the Rain" for (laser) printing orders to posted on job sites. It dawned on me that the same product may work for the alcohol inks. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on pinching a sheet or two to try it out before ordering a ream.
I'd pay $34 for a ream of 200 (8.5x11) sheets before I'd pay $20 +/- for 10 sheets of Yupo.
Rite in the Rain Tactical All Weather Copier Paper Letter Size 8 12 x 11 Ream Of 200 Sheets - Office Depot

Are you familiar with the product? Have you tried it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I haven’t tried it but have tried glossy CS and the less expensive plastic paper Barb at Joggles and others sell. I’m sure great results can be had on any non-porous surface - paper, plastic, metal, ceramic, etc. - by those with skills, but since i don’t use alcohol ink that often and like results on Yupo the most, that’s my go to other than when playing with color mixing and testing.

Once I inked metal Tim Holtz rings to use as tiny frames, but after putting them through a SideKick to clamp down on the CS, some ink rubbed off, disappointing. Occasionally Yupo goes on sale but still not budget-friendly. I wish I could get a tour at the Yupo plant - in my state.

ETA Did you see the reviews about the paper (in your link)? Might be worth a look too.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-08-2019 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 02:22 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

There's something called Duralar that might work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Has anyone used the Spectrum Noir refills for techniques? I was thinking of buying a set of them. I know professional artists use Ranger, Pinata & Copic for alcohol ink techniques.

Have you all tried Dollar Tree poster board? It is amazing for alcohol ink techniques. I learned about it from a few YT ink artists. I heard Amazon's poster board is good for techniques too.

I am thinking of getting some Yupo for my Yule gift this year. I have been holding off because I know I will fall in love with it and then I will be paper broke from buying it, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

They might be better now, but I had one bottle of Spectrum Noir in a gorgeous bottle green and it dried up in a very short time. Never happened with Ranger or Pinata brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 05:25 AM   #20  

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
There's a lot of talk about using alcohol inks on Yupo paper with amazing results. I haven't tried it yet, too pricey for me.
When I do play with my inks I use the back of plastic For SALE signs from the dollar store and photo paper. I've been pleased with the results on both substrates.
At work we started using a waterproof paper called "Rite in the Rain" for (laser) printing orders to posted on job sites. It dawned on me that the same product may work for the alcohol inks. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan on pinching a sheet or two to try it out before ordering a ream.
I'd pay $34 for a ream of 200 (8.5x11) sheets before I'd pay $20 +/- for 10 sheets of Yupo.
Rite in the Rain Tactical All Weather Copier Paper Letter Size 8 12 x 11 Ream Of 200 Sheets - Office Depot

Are you familiar with the product? Have you tried it?
I've used it a lot but only for geocaching!

I use Duralar - much less expensive than Yupo and it doesn't fingerprint like Yupo does.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 05:47 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Nice reminder! Dura-Lar has a bunch of neat products. I use the clear for some stuff, including storing some stamp sets. It’s polyester - made from mylar and acetate - so is non-porous.

Link: Dura-Lar Film

Last edited by bjeans; 12-09-2019 at 06:08 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 06:51 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I never heard of Dular, but I will check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 06:54 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Dura-Lar - some people use it to make new backer sheets for their stamps if the original ones were acetate. I used to and don’t bother any more. It used to be talked about more here - 2016.

Acetate for stamp storage - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 01:46 PM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I'm sooooo jealous that you can walk to Blick! My nearest one requires an airplane!!

We used to have a lot of art supply stores bc Greenwich Village was full of artists in the 50s-70s.. We are losing them both, but the Blick holds on. NYU is right here so they have that population.

I do sometimes order online bc the prices can be better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2019, 08:16 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here's a short video from Marabu showing method for removing cap & opening tip:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 02:31 AM   #26  
Gallery Gazer

I stopped watching because videos with music playing while someone is speaking are annoying, but fast forwarded and it’s just use a push pin. The people complaining cut the tip off so too much pours out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Has anyone used the Spectrum Noir refills for techniques? I was thinking of buying a set of them. I know professional artists use Ranger, Pinata & Copic for alcohol ink techniques.

Have you all tried Dollar Tree poster board? It is amazing for alcohol ink techniques. I learned about it from a few YT ink artists. I heard Amazon's poster board is good for techniques too.

I am thinking of getting some Yupo for my Yule gift this year. I have been holding off because I know I will fall in love with it and then I will be paper broke from buying it, lol.

I know I've seen someone (maybe Myriam?) use Copic refills and they worked; I would think the Spectrum Noir refills would be similar. I know I've messed about with a technique where you color a circle with an alcohol marker, drop some alcohol or blending solution on it and blast it with an empty airbrush, and the spectrum noir markers worked fine for that.

I've used the dollar tree poster board, the Amazon poster board and the backside of Kirkland photo paper; there's also a plastic poster board at Michaels and I've gotten the Graphix white craft plastic at Joggles and I've used the Yupo and I love 'em all. They all react a little bit differently, but they're all hella fun.

Inks - I have all the Rangers and most of the Pinatas, I have the Marabu (and I love the Rainbow mixative!) and I have a couple of the Brea Reese. My least favorite are the Brea Reese; they don't seem to be nearly as pigmented.

And reading this back over, I realize that I have way too many art supplies for someone who is not an artist and just messes about from time to time. The real problem is, I still want more . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 06:39 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
...And reading this back over, I realize that I have way too many art supplies for someone who is not an artist and just messes about from time to time. The real problem is, I still want more . . .

You're not alone but in good company.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 08:19 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

YMMV.
Have you tried Nara Papers? I haven’t ordered any yet. Been following them on IG.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 09:21 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kielty Inks

If you search YouTube for Myriam's Nature Kielty Inks, she has several videos praising them highly. Evidently they have a layering solution that she loves. I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my wish list for my next alcohol inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I stopped watching because videos with music playing while someone is speaking are annoying, but fast forwarded and it’s just use a push pin. The people complaining cut the tip off so too much pours out.

I went back & watched again because I hadn't noticed the music, I could barely hear it.

Anyway there is a bit more information than just the push pin. I hope others will watch for themselves.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 11:10 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wanted to throw in a little funny here talking about alcohol inks. someone sent me something yesterday about making your alcohol inks with alcohol and cool-aid. well, there is always a comedy playing somewhere in my brain. Instantly I seen myself setting at a crafting get-together and playing my with alcohol inks and I start squirting it in my mouth and saying "that's the best alcohol ink I've made so far", because I used vodka!! hahahaha I think that would turn a lot of heads. hahaha
patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 05:51 PM   #33  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

The Marabu has beautiful colors and the Rainbow is fantastic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Becky PView Post
If you search YouTube for Myriam's Nature Kielty Inks, she has several videos praising them highly. Evidently they have a layering solution that she loves. I haven't tried them yet, but they are on my wish list for my next alcohol inks.

Good video, thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2019, 06:35 PM   #35  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Good video, thanks for sharing
I like how she used the alcohol inks on canvas. I plan on giving it a try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 01:49 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosetresuresView Post
just wanted to throw in a little funny here talking about alcohol inks. someone sent me something yesterday about making your alcohol inks with alcohol and cool-aid. well, there is always a comedy playing somewhere in my brain. Instantly I seen myself setting at a crafting get-together and playing my with alcohol inks and I start squirting it in my mouth and saying "that's the best alcohol ink I've made so far", because I used vodka!! hahahaha I think that would turn a lot of heads. hahaha

patty
You can use vodka to make alcohol inks. I make my own essential oils, tinctures and other herbal concoctions with vodka. Years ago I accidentally spilled one of my tinctures that I just made on a paper towel. It made the most beautiful pattern. I saved my paper towel and made a card from it, lol.

One of my friends from high school use to drink vodka and kool-aid together. It was really, really, really and let me add another really gross! He spilled his grape vodka koolaid on his notebook paper one time. Made a cool pattern. I snagged the paper and made a card from it, lol.

The next time you all go to a stamp get together I think you should make some kool-aid vodka mixtures. You must upload your creations in the gallery, lol.

I make my own alcohol inks with sharpies and 90% rubbing alcohol. It is much lighter than the brands on the market. They are so pretty. Make beautiful light washes.

I also make my own alcohol inks with my dye reinkers and 90% rubbing alcohol. It is really not the same thing but the results are stunning. You get some really interesting results from those mixtures.

Quick question- How many alcohol inks does Ranger have now? I was thinking of adding some more to my collection.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2019, 06:45 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Quick question- How many alcohol inks does Ranger have now? I was thinking of adding some more to my collection.

66 + 5 Mixatives: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21...53940512114039

12 Pearls: https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/21..._2019.pdf?5055

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 05:36 AM   #38  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I'm so glad I came across Myriam's comparison video with Yupo and
Grafix Opaque White Craft Plastic (which is on sale at Joggles).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 05:58 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

I watched a lot of the video when someone posted it a few months ago, and took a quick re-look, though skipped some - just have problems sticking with vids that go very slowly or don’t anything for long time except hands. Other than price, Yupo is better for results I want. And removing ink completely when bone dry isn’t a factor.

I have both, have tried the same techniques on both (like flower blowing and droplet blooming), and both have their place. I think trying both is key to knowing which fits best for what one is doing. Or being happy with a result a tad less than what’s wanted but paying far less, making it legitimately worth it.You know, the old one size does not fit all thing.

ETA. I know someone who thinks glossy cardstock is the best by far and doesn’t like any plastic paper, even Yupo. I looked at her with my shocked face :shock: and she said she knows, people think she’s crazy.

Last edited by bjeans; 12-12-2019 at 06:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2019, 06:40 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

As someone who is not as talented and skilled as others when it comes to working with the inks, Yupo is to pricey for me to play/practice on especially seeing that ink removal is somewhat impossible. I like knowing that I can remove the ink and start over with a clean slate.
Maybe once I develop the skills and become more confident I'll try Yupo, but not at this stage.
Reply With Quote Likes