Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts
Default Do you design cards for challenges, or just to suit yourself?

My title is kind of clunky but I was wondering if most of you design your cards around challenges, or just go where your muse takes you? I used to be more creative in my approach to cards and tried new techniques and products as I designed my projects. Then I got into a rut when I began making cards to donate to various organizations. I made many more cards than I could send out, so felt that donating them would meet the needs of myself (to use up product) and the organizations both.

However, donation cards needed to be flat and fairly simple...without any small parts that could come loose...and not too many layers. In addition, some of them required that I narrow my theme and the products used. So my style became very ho hum and boring to me.

In order to try to break out of that rut, I began to enter online challenges, to force myself to try something new now and again. However, that became its own prison in that I stopped enjoying the process and got all tied up in trying to meet the specifications of the challenges! AWK!!

Just wondering what experiences the rest of you have, and if you've fallen into the same ruts?
Karen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 04:39 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,707 Likes on 1,832 Posts

Sometimes I create a card with a challenge in mind. My favorite challenges are a color challenge, a sketch, and sometimes ways to use something. Some of the more fun cards I have created were for a specific person in mind. I remember a card from several years ago that was a Scooby Doo Mystery Machine. My husband and daughter kept giving me ideas on what I could use from my stash to make it work. I do not have a photo handy to share. I do like the challenges here and I do not have to look all over the place for them.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 07:02 AM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I like the color challenges here- opens my eyes up to colors combos I would never have thought of to use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 07:49 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

If a challenge sparks an idea, I'll go with that. If inspiration comes from somewhere else (color combo, particular image, new toy) then I'll just see where that goes. One thing that I want to try in the coming year is to go through my favorites folder and make a card based off of whatever prompted me to put that particular card in my favorites to begin with. I think that sounds really fun, and I can clear out the folder as I go...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 08:03 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I enjoy the challenges here for stretching myself, and it's certainly how I grew, but I like to keep a balance with also creating cards with no agenda other than enjoying myself. So I do both in equal measure. I like the sense of community in the challenges, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:25 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
Sometimes I create a card with a challenge in mind. My favorite challenges are a color challenge, a sketch, and sometimes ways to use something. Some of the more fun cards I have created were for a specific person in mind. I remember a card from several years ago that was a Scooby Doo Mystery Machine. My husband and daughter kept giving me ideas on what I could use from my stash to make it work. I do not have a photo handy to share. I do like the challenges here and I do not have to look all over the place for them.

I also like color challenges, but sketch challenges always stump me. I don't know why I have so much trouble using sketches but I always feel too constrained. Many stampers say that sketches are their favorite starting point.

That Scooby Doo Mystery Machine card sounds like so much fun. I'm trying to imagine how it looked and what you put together!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
I enjoy the challenges here for stretching myself, and it's certainly how I grew, but I like to keep a balance with also creating cards with no agenda other than enjoying myself. So I do both in equal measure. I like the sense of community in the challenges, too.

Yes, I agree that it's best to stretch by entering challenges, but also allow for time to just create as you wish. I think that I got bogged down with too many online challenges, and started to lose the joy of card making. Now I'll stick to entering only a few challenges, and just playing with my supplies to see what develops. After all, when a hobby starts feeling like a job, it's time to change things, right?

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
If a challenge sparks an idea, I'll go with that. If inspiration comes from somewhere else (color combo, particular image, new toy) then I'll just see where that goes. One thing that I want to try in the coming year is to go through my favorites folder and make a card based off of whatever prompted me to put that particular card in my favorites to begin with. I think that sounds really fun, and I can clear out the folder as I go...

That's a great idea to put your favorites in a folder for future reference. I started bookmarking designs and techniques on various blogs but then the folder got so unwieldy that I stopped. Recently, I've been going through old craft magazines from as far back as 2014, to donate them to the public library, and have been finding techniques and designs that I had forgotten about. Apparently, 5 years is long enough for a trend to come back around again! So I have started a folder with those articles in them, but we'll see if they just sit and gather dust..!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 01:11 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Like Sabrina, I find doing challenges to help make my stamping more of a social thing. I can connect with and enjoy the company of others of like mind and interests. That said, if the challenge does not result in a card that I can put to good use, I generally pass on taking part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 04:08 AM   #10  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I love challenges, especially sketch and color ones! Challenges give me a starting point that gets the creative ball rolling.

They also limit my choices, which I find helpful. When we were getting a new kitchen years ago, the showroom had over a hundred types of cabinets from which to pick - too many for me - so I told our designer to pick 5 and I would choose from the 5 he picked. He did and, 6 years later, I still love those cabinets! Well, I can get that way with stamping so the challenges are wonderful for narrowing the choices for me.

The social aspect is fun, too. I love seeing what others do and commenting on their projects. It feels like a stamping community. It IS a stamping community!

Sometimes, I start a challenge and find that I'm veering far away from it, so I don't end up posting the finished project. It was still helpful, though, in that it got the juices flowing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 04:43 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I also like color challenges, but sketch challenges always stump me. I don't know why I have so much trouble using sketches but I always feel too constrained. Many stampers say that sketches are their favorite starting point.

That Scooby Doo Mystery Machine card sounds like so much fun. I'm trying to imagine how it looked and what you put together!
Karen

I went digging through old photos. Here is the Mystery Machine.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 06:47 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a huge fan of online challenges, here and on blogs. They do help spark creativity. However, if a challenge doesn’t speak to me, I don’t usually try to force it. That being said, the limitation on me entering challenges is the lack of time, recently, not that the challenge doesn’t suit my tastes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to almost always make cards that fit with some challenge or another. But for a while, very few challenges were appealing to me. So I started just making what I like. I strive to use every stamp set before putting it in it’s designated box (by theme) so I often start there. I also adore interactive cards especially shakers so sometimes I start there. With ideas I’ve seen or dies I’ve bought. And I love cards kits and work to make at least 10 cards from each. Spellbinders is my fave.

If I feel stuck, sometimes I’ll look in my data base for paper pads, embossing folders, dies or stencils I’ve bought but not yet used as I don’t have a place to put them while they wait to be used for the first time like stamps. Or for stamp sets I’ve only used once. I also save cards to Pinterest (I rarely search there) so I go back to those for inspiration.

And I love Jennifer McGuire’s blog for technique ideas. I don’t do a lot of clean and simple like she does but I always come away with ideas of how to apply what she shows to my style.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 03:29 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 757 Likes on 545 Posts

I seldom do challenges. A lot of my inspiration comes from designing cards with a certain person in mind .... the theme, images and colors that would appeal to the recipient. To jump start the process I often search for appealing cards in the SCS gallery, on Pinterest or on paper crafting blogs. I enjoy trying new techniques, especially background techniques, and I really love stamping my own backgrounds. Usually a card sketch doesn't help me ... I seem to need to see an actual completed card using that sketch before I begin. My own version often ends up being quite different from the card that originally inspired me. I've been a card maker for over 25 years and I still love it!

God demonstrated His love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us ... being now justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. Romans 5:8 & 9

https://www.chemoangels.com/

https://www.intercessors.org/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by lovinpaperView Post
I went digging through old photos. Here is the Mystery Machine.
Oh my gosh, this is adorable! Love the brick wall and the flowery hubcaps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-27-2019, 09:52 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by allee'sView Post
Like Sabrina, I find doing challenges to help make my stamping more of a social thing. I can connect with and enjoy the company of others of like mind and interests. That said, if the challenge does not result in a card that I can put to good use, I generally pass on taking part.

I agree that challenges allow you to participate in a group of like-minded crafters, and is one of the most enjoyable parts of the whole thing. None of my friends stamp or make cards so joining groups online are my way to keep in touch with what people are doing and what styles are popular or new.

When I first started entering challenges I entered all the different themes, including those cards that I had no use for (i.e. wedding or graduation). I couldn't even donate cards like that with such specific themes, so I got more selective. Birthday and general themes are always good to donate or to send, as are holiday ones. Interactive cards are still something I'm not comfortable with but that might be next...just to stretch.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I've participated in a few challenges, but I've come to accept that they're not my cup of tea. I would often end up more stressed than inspired, or compare my project with other people's projects too often. Overall, I felt like it was hindering me much more than it was helping.

Instead, I just come up with personal challenges or goals to get me going and keep me on track. Since they're personal challenges, I don't feel like I'm competing with anyone and I can take my time or even drop the challenge entirely if it's not working -without feeling guilty. At the same time, it gives me something concrete to work towards. I'm always walking over to my crafty table with a purpose and a plan.

Here are a few examples of personal challenges I've had:
- One stamp, 3 cards -- make 3 different cards with a single stamp set.
- Color palette -- use one palette on a series of cards (particularly if it's not a color choice I've used before).
- 100 cards prompt challenge -- make 100 cards based on one-word theme prompts.
- Stash kit -- make a card kit from my stash and then create several cards.
- Bits & Pieces -- use bits and pieces of ephemera and die-cuts to make a card (great way to use up things I don't regularly reach for).
- Concept trio -- make 3 cards using the same theme or idea, but with a different design.
- Card chain -- make one card, then use a single element from it to make a brand new card and keep going until 5-6 unique cards are made.

I've got a dozen other challenges I've made for myself. Some were public and shared on my blog, others were private. If you struggle with the idea of a public challenge (like I seem to), a personal challenge/goal might work better for you. You get a goal to strive for and a motivation to keep going, but no pressure or stress of competition.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 02:27 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

lovin paper- Scooby Doo card is the best thing ever!!!!! I love it so much. The little flower hubcaps are so cute. Scooby looking out the window is just too adorable.

Definitely create cards for me. I go with it. Set down with my stamps, embellishments & coloring tools let creativity take over.

Challenges- I want to enter some challenges. I think also it will stress me out. I will start putting crazy pressure on myself. One I am a slow artist. I like the details and fussiness of my creations. Challenges there tends to be a set date to enter. I start pressuring myself and my art suffers.

I do want the challenges and learning new things. I don't get in a rut. I am thinking of reading stamping blogs and look for a card that inspires me and making my take on it as a challenge. I guess it's a weird CASE'ing, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 02:35 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
Oh my gosh, this is adorable! Love the brick wall and the flowery hubcaps.

Thank you! I am pretty sure this was a "family" project. I have a stamp that was the trees, punches for the wheels and flower on the mystery machine. I believe my older daughter drew Scooby, as I sure can't draw much. The brick wall was paper from Basic Gray. I can't remember how we came up with the greenery on the van, but probably my daughter sketched it so we could cut it out. This was in 2011, so I am having trouble remembering the details.

It was fun. There will never be another exactly like it.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 08:19 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

The daily challenges here, there is no closing date. It's fair to say you won't get many comments if you upload after the first day or two, but if you're using one as a jumping-off point or as the motivation to try something, then that may not matter. And personally, I subscribe to any of the challenges that I host, and it's nice to sometimes get notification from an older challenge thread where someone obviously liked something enough to go back to it again - more likely a technique than the Thursday challenge, that being broader.
I still find colour challenges stressful, and while sketch challenges constrain me, I definitely learned a lot from doing them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
lovin paper- Scooby Doo card is the best thing ever!!!!! I love it so much. The little flower hubcaps are so cute. Scooby looking out the window is just too adorable.

Definitely create cards for me. I go with it. Set down with my stamps, embellishments & coloring tools let creativity take over.

Challenges- I want to enter some challenges. I think also it will stress me out. I will start putting crazy pressure on myself. One I am a slow artist. I like the details and fussiness of my creations. Challenges there tends to be a set date to enter. I start pressuring myself and my art suffers.

I do want the challenges and learning new things. I don't get in a rut. I am thinking of reading stamping blogs and look for a card that inspires me and making my take on it as a challenge. I guess it's a weird CASE'ing, lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:37 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question and it got me thinking. I enjoyed making cards more before being on design teams and doing many different challenges. There seemed to be less time to just play, especially with new stamps. For me, the solution was to drop down to just one team and cut out all the challenges that required certain brands.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 10:15 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 160 Likes on 105 Posts

I just LOVE the challenges here! I’ve made such great friends and made so many fun cards that I never in a million years would’ve come up with on my own. I also challenged myself to make a card for every single one of The Daily Challenges this year, plus special events like DTGD and VSN. As of today, I have four challenges that I need to make up. I also just LOVE to see what everyone else comes up with for the challenges. I’ve learned so much from browsing through challenge galleries and spent a lot of money too...
Oddly, I just don’t know what I would make without a challenge to prompt me. It reminds me of art class in high school. What’s the assignment today?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2019, 07:12 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default response to kazeka

Hello, I found your question interesting. 1) I've never entered a challenge, I have admired them but never had interest in participating. I enjoy making cards from scratch. The funny thing is, I never know what I will come up with. Example right now it is Xmas cards. I've cut all kinds of bases, have a box of all types xmas embellishments, tapes, lettering inks, stickles, sprays, boxes of anything I could put on a card etc. I don't know about other carmakers, but, sometimes during the night I'll wake up with an idea, don't get much sleep, but, hey, I got an idea. I think about things to use. This year I purchased a Anna Griffin card kit. I wanted the inside sayings, and some embellishments, Her cards bases are not as sturdy as I like, so I only use what want, the rest I store for some other projects in the future. Then I sit down and look at the blank base and throw a few embellishments on it for ideas. Now maybe most carmakers have plans or other card making friends. I fly solo an have no input except what I read online from you folks or go to youtube for videos. I experiment. When I finish putting a card together, without gluing I let it set overnight and then next day look at it with fresh eyes, I decide if it needs something added or taken off or if I am not happy with the result, I put it aside to use parts of it at a later date. Folks buy my cards, they love them, and this is all I need, an appreciation for the work I put into them. You'll never recoup the money spent but, it gives me joy to create, they may not be as elaborate as some can make, nor a simple as some. I love watching people open their cards. For a thanksgiving gift to a Host, I boxed 3 xmas cards with a thanksgiving (thank you)card on top of the box. People crowded around to look at them and even the husbands came over to take a peek. None knew I made cards and they were amazed, I felt such joy. I think this is the reason I make cards, the joy in creating, the joy in seeing my work appreciated. Last year I made 15 xmas gift tags to hang on doors, I signed my friends name, he has dementia and is in a home, So I showed him all the cards and he touched an liked running his fingers over the embellishments and I told him these cards are a gift from him to his neighbors. The Caregiver wrote each patients name on a small name tag I attached to the card tags and put them on each room door. I never knew the reaction, or if everyone got their tag, but it made my friend so happy, that it made me happy also.
  • So go with your heart and what your eye tells you. You will know if a card looks good or not, you keep on trying as I did, from very basic (I keep some first cards around and it amazes me how I have improved), then with time your cards get better and probably more elaborate.
  • It is the joy you get from creating
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2019, 11:22 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
The daily challenges here, there is no closing date.
Thank you! I thought there was a closing date. The daily challenges, for example, I thought it had to be done in a day, lol. That takes a lot of pressure off of us "Slow turtle stampers".

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 05:33 PM   #25  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I've subscribed to the challenges posted here, but I haven't participated in any yet. In the past I participated in themed swaps (ATCs, cards, calendars, journal pages) and they were challenging and fun.

When I make cards I usually start with: a theme, color, paper, and medium. I play with the products and let my muse run free. Some days I may spend hours trying to produce one card! :( But when my muse is running in high and I'm in zone I can be very productive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I have never done a challenge here. I do challenges in the stamp club I belong to, but only a couple each month. I use the "Idea" files I have collected, as they are organized by theme because that is how I stamp. Each month I choose a theme and all birthday cards are made following that theme. I have, on average, 15 birthday cards a month, plus any holiday, which is anywhere from 20 to 70 cards, anniversary cards and then the occasional thank you, sympathy, thinking of you. My idea file keeps me focused, but also provides me with challenges.
Reply With Quote Likes