Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-01-2019, 04:40 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default New SSS frame dies and a duh moment

Being the 1st of December, Simon Says Stamp launched their usual Diecember release. Being a die hard die hound, I looked at it over my tea. There is something about having a duh moment when you have only one eye open yet. Not a bad way to come fully awake.

I have seen frame dies. Heck I own a much thicker set. But I will tell you I never saw them in this way. I saw them as a stacking piece on top of the edge of my focal to make it look "framed" like a painting. Or around the border of a card (Lawn fawn does that a lot) When I saw this today I had a V-8 moment/duh moment. My mouth dropped open. Tg I wasnt drinking tea at the moment.

Honestly when I watched SSS's die release vid I didn't get it at all. Then I saw JM's and went oh. OH!!!! What have I have been thinking all this time??

This is the circle (there are also A2 and A7 rectangles)

Simon Says Stamp CIRCLE THIN FRAMES Wafer Dies sssd112067 Diecember at Simon Says STAMP!

Here is Jennifer McGuire using it in the way that intrigues me. It's at 10:52. The black frame around the circle in the paint pallet card.

This system creates a single layer thin frame for your shape. We don't need to cut another paper layer to glue down on. It is less paper and less bulk on the card with the same look. Does it look like 1/16th to you? I love 1/16th frames....scares me being ham fisted but nonetheless....

I love 1/16th because it breaks the focal from the background, but does not interfere with the focal visually imho. It is very clean to me.

One can use Perfect layers rulers to get a thin frame, but you have to put it on a second paper layer. Cheryl is a master of this (Cherylquilts). She keeps a stock of thin papers for it. Tessaduck is also fantastic with layers.

Later in the video McGuire also demos how you can use the frames to make shakers by stacking the frame cuts. I understood this use for my much thicker version already.

Has another company done such a thin version and I missed it? The circles esp intrigue me because I am NOT fussy cutting what would NEVER be confused with a circle. (Yes I tried to practice.)

They ain't cheap. But I am patient and can wait for a good sale to come around.

I don't know why I never thought about inlaying to the frame when I LOVE inlay. I have to think I never saw anyone do it either...must be one of those things everybody knows and I don't. :rolleyes: Well I just wrote down a design idea in my book.

A reminder that I could be doing this for 30 years and still suddenly realize something. That's cool. Means I have a whole universe of discovery before me. Hopefully with things I already own LOLOL
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:24 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I love the skinny framed look. A very inexpensive option to frame rectangles/squares that way while waiting for sales is with Elizabeth Crafts Peel-Offs. They come in many shapes, but for framing straight lines and borders work very well. Some are shiny, which I have; some are called velveteen. They come in many colors, including black.

Scott from cardcutups.com uses them occasionally in that way though he uses Love From Lizzy Peel-Offs. She’s in the UK and Scott in the US but he’s is on her design team, making ten cards from one kit every month.
Of course it’s more labor intensive since they need to be cut to size (which I do while they’re on their backer sheet). I’ve used a couple that aren’t straight to surround something - for example a line made up of tiny circles.

Different but related, there’s a great alpha die set that has that skinny framing option around each letter, or can be used separately - gorgeous and I can’t think of who makes it. I’ll look when I head upstairs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:38 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

I watch Scott too! He is good with the puns! I had never heard of Lizzy till watching him. He also gets Hero monthly sets and does the 10 cards with them. Lizzy was pink addicted this year. I got sick of seeing it all and I did not have to use it.

I know those. Paper Wishes calls them Dazzles. All different shapes and so on and they show you ways to use the negatives too. Good idea. I think I have some around here somewhere....hmmm...

Search Results

Oh I know the set you are talking about! SSS just did that look in the new release with the word Thanks, but McGuire did talk about a whole alpha like that....what the heck was the name of it.... ugh.

I have done a lot of stickles edging off my finger, but that is not as clean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 01:45 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I adore Scott - and his puns and laugh. Maybe I don’t have the alpha set and just have some words? I’m Instant Potting dinner now so will check later.

Stickles could be nice if one was adept. Not me. I do extremely thin matting (like Scott does at ties), but that adds a layer, sometimes fine, sometimes bulk, as you say. And sometimes I cut extremely thin strips from CS. But like with the Peel-Offs there’s placement. They’re on a big sale now at Elizabeth Crafts but the straight ones may be sold out.

Lately I’ve made some very minimalist cards with an image, die-cut or sentiment in the center and a slightly wonky, very narrow Alexandra Renee Square Frame die (Ellen Hutson) stacked 3-high around it. I adore that die but it’s not the same look. It comes to mind because it’s so narrow.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 05:43 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

The alphabet set with the skinny frames is from Concord & 9th, called Double Cut Alphabet Dies. Sooo versatile and on sale. A little video on their site is better than a few snapshots from me. I also have the patterned stamp set - but while the sizes are nice, any patterned stamps would do the same if the scale was right.

https://concordand9th.com/products/d...-alphabet-dies
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 12:02 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Altenew have rectangle and circle dies called Fine Frames (rectangle here, circle here). They’re a bit different in that each die cuts multiple frames at once so the only one you’d have that inlay portion for is the smallest one but if it’s skinny frames you're after, they could be just the ticket. Of course some would likely fit a circle already in your die collection if you wanted to do that. I think they do a cover sized one, too but I only have the circle and rectangle ones. Here are a few cards I’ve blogged using them in various ways: fine frames

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

i just discovered i can double up a word die with its backer. iow, cut out the backer then put the word die on the cutout and put it through the machine. or if your backer frame die fits the word die just cut it once with both dies on the paper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

I know all those sets. I have considered them in the past. I have an alpha and I was thinking about trading it in for the one you showed Beth but then I didnt and I dont remember why.

Joanne I remember you using those line frames really nicely more than once, and thinking about that too. The price point is good too. Thing with them is that it is one piece. I would not get the positives for every size-just the smallest. But if I just wanted the frames-that is a very cool die. Those thin frames are a nice layout element. One run and you have bunch to play with and no waste of positives. I am still thinking about them.

I am sorry but I am not understanding what you are saying Creative...maybe it is too late. I will try again in the morning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:13 AM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

the die cuts in the second photo are just the word, just the backer, the word cut out from the backer & the backer with the word cut out. i hope this makes more sense! (the white scraps is from my attempt to cut them out with tape on the back.)
die is from pink & main, stencil is from gina marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2019, 09:15 AM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

btw i love how scott gently makes fun of some of the more interesting designs and products being produced
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #11  
Matboard Maniac

it works bettter with some dies than with others. with this die set, though, i had to run each die through separately. the dies are from honey bee stamps

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2019, 06:21 AM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

You can use the original Spellbinder's circle, oval, square, & rectangle nestabilities in a similar way. Especially if you have multiple sets with all of the different sizes. I just don't know if you'd get down to as small as Jen shows in the video there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-21-2019, 04:52 AM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

I have those tracy...some of my oldest. I have to revisit that-thanks! I was always thinking layers vs inlay frames. They are not as big but still!

Creative-I get it now! I am very visual so the pics did it!

I just noticed the other day that Scott is making those tiny frames with real frame corners-I cant remember the dang word right now. (angled cut) It is not just straight edge butted up to the cross bar. I wish he would us how bc that is like micro surgery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

LOL - mitered corners! Easy with a craft knife.

Who is this Scott? I've tried to find him before! (Nevermind, found him)

Last edited by uncbballfan; 12-24-2019 at 03:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 02:28 PM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
LOL - mitered corners! Easy with a craft knife.

Who is this Scott? I've tried to find him before!
CardCutups - Scott Pegg

About – CardCut-ups (videos at the bottom of each blog entry) and he’s on youtube at https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCC1Iq...exUP0pA/videos
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 02:57 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have those tracy...some of my oldest. I have to revisit that-thanks! I was always thinking layers vs inlay frames. They are not as big but still!

I just noticed the other day that Scott is making those tiny frames with real frame corners-I cant remember the dang word right now. (angled cut) It is not just straight edge butted up to the cross bar. I wish he would us how bc that is like micro surgery!

Like on the last card on this blog entry?
CardCut-ups – Spreading cheer and inspiration with handmade cards and paper crafting

With those two peeloffs he either used an Exacto to make a little angle cut at the end, or could have snipped it using fussy cut scissors - easiest left on the backer paper in that case. It can be done with paper strips too. Just a little cut or snip.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

delete - without pictures doesn’t make sense

Last edited by bjeans; 12-25-2019 at 02:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-25-2019, 08:42 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Easy method: die cut a rectangular or square. Snip the corners at a 45 degree angle and put back together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 06:48 AM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you Linda-yes Mitered! Oh brother. :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying Beth. I just dont know I could do it with my clumsy hands.

I made the leap. I got the sets with the 30% SSS die sale on now. If I cant make this look I love now-- I really am hopeless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thank you Linda-yes Mitered! Oh brother. :rolleyes:

I understand what you are saying Beth. I just dont know I could do it with my clumsy hands.

I made the leap. I got the sets with the 30% SSS die sale on now. If I cant make this look I love now-- I really am hopeless!

You’ll be fine! As for cutting a die-cut frame to get mitered corners, it’s just a snip from inside corner to outside corner with small scissors. I have a couple eye conditions now but have craft glasses so can see what I’m doing. Mostly.

There’s a longer, more laborious method for mitering strips using a triangle ruler butted up against the top of the edge of a paper trimmer, but for skinny strips, that level of precision isn’t needed. At least not in my world.

You can also glue down two strips top or bottom, then cut the corners off of two strips that will go on top of them and overlap them. So you’re only cutting two strips, not four. Then they’re layered in the corner, which isn’t always what’s wanted. Clear as mud.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2020, 06:45 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got the simon says a2 thin frames. Here's my question? Would this set be better not cut apart? I'm so undecided about whether to snip it into separate frames or leave it together as one unit.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2020, 06:56 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUKatView Post
I just got the simon says a2 thin frames. Here's my question? Would this set be better not cut apart? I'm so undecided about whether to snip it into separate frames or leave it together as one unit.

I had to, because I’ve stamped a sentiment and needed the next to the smallest rectangle to cut it out and frame it. If I had left in the smallest rectangle, it would have cut through the words.

If you’re stamping after you die cut you won’t have that issue. But I die cut afterwords in case my stamping isn’t perfectly parallel to the edges of the CS, I can use the die to adjust it.

Also, sometimes I’ll use a color that is only used once in a blue moon. So even if not first stamped with the sentiment or image, I’d end up with lots of rectangles and frames to store in the die pocket that might not be used.

I get the desire to keep them together and thought about that as I snipped out the smallest rectangle!

Now if I only could get the edges of the rectangles not to look unevenly indented near the edges in some places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2020, 08:29 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Oh my gosh, Jennifer McGuire makes it all look so easy but I would end up with glue on everything except the paper...and all those bits stuck to my shirt and hands. Does anyone know which liquid glue pen she's using? I do love the way she added the glue around the edges of the circle, and then adhered the thin frame. I would have done it the other way...adding glue to the frame and trying to wrestle it into place without getting it stuck everywhere but the paper. Video tutorials can't be beat!

Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 03:43 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe Jennifer usually uses the Gina K Designs Connect Glue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2020, 01:45 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyottlView Post
I believe Jennifer usually uses the Gina K Designs Connect Glue.

Thanks. I've been using the Zig glue pen but have been looking for another alternative as well.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-13-2020, 11:33 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I am enjoying this thread! And also thanks for the enabling on the thin border dies!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes