Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you know a trick? - Intricate Die Cuts

I have a confession to make - I suck at adhering intricate die cuts. I have trouble getting them straight, or at least the same shape it's supposed to be.

Do you have a tip or trick to help me? Currently I'm struggling w/a couple of word dies; the letters come out looking like a kindergartner wrote them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, yes, I die cut them with the adhesive already on the back ready for peel-off. So it should be easy, right?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:41 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The kindergartener thing - do you mean not straight? If so, how about a 99 cent clear (see-through) T-ruler? I learned from Jennifer McGuire. (Video; she did not come to my house.) So easy.

If not that, explain a bit more?

And sometimes applying tiny dots of liquid adhesive works better for me than the adhesive on the back because I want the wiggle time. The if careful Stick-It can be moved a bit.

I just watched a super simple Laura Bassen trick on getting individual letters straight but you don’t mean that, right? But in case you do or anyone wasn’t to see it, here. Wouldn’t need her exact mat. Fast forward to 4:15ish.

ETA: Just realized you could use this technique for full word dies too. Or other types. Liquid adhesive could be used if preferred.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ature=youtu" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Last edited by bjeans; 11-19-2019 at 10:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 01:12 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I wrote a whole thing but took it back. Why read all that if you just need one part

Where are your struggling? Peeling the backing, or after it is peeled, laying it down where you want it? or both?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 01:15 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 488 Likes on 307 Posts

save the piece that covers the adhesive on your adhesive sheet...when ready to place die cut on card...lay slick side up half way up/on the area your diecut will cover....carefully stick the top of the die--the part not on the adhesive sheet down--lightly, in just a few key places.....when satisfied, slide slick sheet further down and do some more key places, slide again and repeat until done... double check your alignment and if it passes muster, cover with the slick sheet, slick side down and rub your bone folder or ruler or press with one of your cutting plates and finish the job. It takes more time this way but works well for me.

Card Sketch Challenge 1-227 done only 396+ to go to be caught up!!!!!

-90 and sweating

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

After you run the die thru your machine but before you push it out of the die, put some Glad Press n Seal on the back. Then, when it's out, put another piece of Glad Press N Seal on the front and take the piece off the back. Now it should be held together and in shape, and you can see where you're applying it. Once it's stuck down, you should be able to peel the press n seal off the front of it without damaging any of your work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #6  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

What about using the negative piece to align the cut-out word? You place the word inside the negative piece, and then you remove the negative.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 03:34 PM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I treat the die cut just like I treat vinyl lettering. First I run my cardstock through my Xyron machine to get the adhesive on it...then I die cut it. Once I have the die cut out of the die I place it cardstock up on the table and put a piece of removable tape across the letters. The removable tape will hold the lettering in place and make sure the letters don’t stretch out of shape when removing the backing. Make sure the piece of tape is longer then the lettering as you will use it to hold on to. Next flip the die cut over and remove the backing sheet of the Xyron. Flip the lettering back over and place the lettering where you want it. Rub the letters down and peel the removable tape away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 04:53 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

My struggle lies primarily with spacing - getting the letters not to spread out too far or compress (the unevenness is what I meant by "kindergarten"); my letters look random, some are wider than they're supposed to be, some more narrow.

Getting it straight, too. As far as the .99 T ruler - please - where? They're $7+ (consistently) on amazon and no one at my $ stores has ever heard of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

A local artists supply store sells them for 99 cents - unless they’ve gone up in the last couple months. I need a new one; mine got run over by my chair with me in it. But let’s see what we can find for you.

Joann at $3.99, order on line to pick up at a store to avoid shipping: C-Thru Ruler Junior T-Square 12" | JOANN -

DickBlick for $2.30 and you can get some percentage off if you sign up for emails:
Westcott Junior T-Square | BLICK Art Materials

$2.13 at Walmart: Westcott 12"/30cm Junior T-Square, JR-12 - Walmart.com

They’re all the “junior” ones.

I think Laura Bassen’s method (video) might work for you too. If you don’t have a grid mat, you could laminate a piece of graph paper to get the lines. Or try one of the others mentioned. Yell if you want to see how JM uses the t-ruler. You’ll get it, hang in there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:33 PM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Would this work for you- http://cleversomeday.com/magic-mesh-...for-cardstock/

You don't need magic mesh. You can substitute drywall tape. A lot of us still have that in our stash from our drywall technique days.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 04:45 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Just wanna say - y'all are awesome. Thx for the help; not sure which one is going to be the perfect fit, but I'm sure it's in this advice somewhere. Off to try them out, but didn't want to wait to say "THANKS!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 11:12 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are all great suggestions!
P.S. Kindergartners can make some cool stuff!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

T-squares can be found at ANY office suppiy store too! I saw one creative gal just put some Lego blocks together to form an L shape and used as a T-square! Whatever works.... LOL! I also used the negative space to line up my die cuts & place them. Press n seal works well too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #14  
Kookie Creator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I spray the die cut with Elmer's Craft Bond spray adhesive, use tweezers to pick it up and place it on the card. Easy Peasy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Default T-ruler

Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
I have a confession to make - I suck at adhering intricate die cuts. I have trouble getting them straight, or at least the same shape it's supposed to be.

Do you have a tip or trick to help me? Currently I'm struggling w/a couple of word dies; the letters come out looking like a kindergartner wrote them. :rolleyes:

Oh, and BTW, yes, I die cut them with the adhesive already on the back ready for peel-off. So it should be easy, right?
Have you tried using a t-ruler?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 01:14 PM   #16  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Use 2 sided adhesive sheets

adhere to card stock or DSP before cutting card stock. intricate cuttout already has adhesive on it after cutting. take paper off and adhere.... Stampin Up and Sissix had some. now that Su discontinued theres, I think I bought my last order from Joannes or Hobby Lobby
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 01:18 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

I also cut dies with the adhesive (usually various widths of ScorTape) on the back, and I have handy a roll of wax paper and a poke tool (many use it for poking tiny pieces out of dies). Cut out the die and look at the back to be sure everything has cut through all the way. Remove the die cut piece from the cardstock and rest of the adhesive, peel off the backing, and then using only the poke tool, I hold the die cut over where it is to go and gradually lay it down. If I need to stop before adhering it, the wax paper is a great parking place. With long words, I sometimes put the Scor-Tape only on parts of what I'm cutting so it's less apt to land where I don't want it. As for lining things up, I work on gridded paper, or draw a line across a piece of copy paper, that is wider than the project, and then eyeball to make it straight. You could use the wax paper here again -- park the die cut, peek through the wax paper to see where all the parts go, and then lay it down permanently. It all takes practice, and you'll find your own way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 06:03 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatGreyView Post
Have you tried using a t-ruler?

Absolutely, that helps get it straight, but that doesn't fix the spacing problem. However, I've tried some of these suggestions and am definitely seeing improvement. Thx again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 11:58 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

The link to the video is not working on my computer. Could you give some more information on the the video so perhaps I could do a search for it on Youtube? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Okay, here’s the link directly to Laura Bassen’s blog to that card. It’s called “Joy From Me To You” from 11/12/19. At the top of the page she provides a link to the video on the My Favorite Things youtube channel.

Fast forward to about 4:20 for a lead-in to how she uses a grid and Post-It tape to get letters lined up and spaced before adhering to a card. Laminated graph paper may work well too, or a positioning tool lid with grid marks, though I prefer lines with contrast.

She’s using foam tape, but I’ve done the same with liquid adhesive - not a lot!

http://www.laurafadora.com/2019/11/12/joy-from-me-to-you/

Here’s the YouTube video link again, just in case it works again. Hope this helps.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=vs5pfHZ9JgM

Last edited by bjeans; 11-20-2019 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Fast forward to 4:20, not 1:25!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 04:27 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default "Crooked" on purpose!

I don't use cut-out letters a lot, but when I do I usually tilt them in various directions on purpose. Then they don't have to line up! Here's one I made with scraps from a quilt that my mother made for the baby.

After reading all of your suggestions I will likely try some straight letters soon. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 05:07 AM   #23  
Crimping Master

What a lovely way to use the quilt scraps!! I never would have thought of that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2019, 04:47 AM   #24  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Years ago I learned a simple trick: Take an acrylic ruler (I use the clear Tim ruler) and align the very tops of your letters that have adhesive on back along the bottom of the ruler. You can pick up the ruler and the letters are hanging off of it. You use the ruler to space them unformly and all the letter tops are on a ruler line. Then just put it down on where you want your letters to be. Burnish the bottoms of the letters well and then peel the ruler off and away (or gently pull the letters off the ruler).

Alternately, if you are using liquid glue to adhere your letters, you could put a piece of double sided removeable tape on the ruler where your letters are going to be and then temporarily adhere the letter tops to ruler. Apply liquid glue to the bottoms/exposed area of letters, adhere to project, then take letters off ruler and add dots of glue to letter tops to adhere to project. A lot simpler to do than to describe, hope I gave you the idea!

And when all else fails, I just purposefully adhere them crooked lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2019, 08:44 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by 123scrapView Post

And when all else fails, I just purposefully adhere them crooked lol.
LOL, now that's an idea I can adopt!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-26-2019, 11:34 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

SPRAY ADHESIVE is your friend!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2019, 05:59 AM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
SPRAY ADHESIVE is your friend!
Oh most definitely! On intricately shaped die cuts, I use 3M General Purpose 45 Photo Safe spray and have great results.

I do two things always:
1. After I am through spraying, I always take my can outside and spray upside down until it sprays clear. You can hear it make a different sound. Then I take a q-tip soaked in GooGone or UnDu and holding the spray nozzle up, I rub the q-tip on / into where the spray comes out. Then I make sure to cap the can back. Never have an problems with clogs when I do this.
2. I let the adhered die cut CURE. It's quite tacky for a while but just be patient. Overnight is long enough for all the sticky to dissipate. Any stubborn spots get the EKSuccess powder brush.

I used to be afraid of using the spray adhesive because I have had bad luck before with clogs, maybe 3M is really good about no clogs.
Reply With Quote Likes