Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Just a fast funny you will appreciate

You guys will get this....

Where I live, we have to be inspected once a year. Today was that day.
I am in a cold sweat about my craft room. I have re-orged one wall but the other is a train wreck to me. I have all kinds of stuff just shoved into whatever space there is....seriously I am not being hard on myself. I was trying to clear surfaces and it had to go somewhere....I was all prepared to start explaining this is a temp state of affairs...:oops::oops::oops:

He walked in the room and the first thing out of his mouth was "wow-so well organized". And he was looking at the BAD wall!!!!

Um what??? :shock: Okaaay...if you say so..... I am keeping my mouth shut and shifting from one foot to the other. Probably looked like I needed to pee.

WHEW! Well that gives me a year to work on the other wall now. aka I need to do a serious purge and make some room.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I'm so glad the inspection went well for you. Anything like that can be so stressful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

I do get myself wound about it, that's true.

I was talking to my cousin after and she said see it can not have been so bad...and I said oh yes it is and if my SCS peeps saw it they would agree it needs serious work. It's hard to explain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 11:29 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I do get myself wound about it, that's true.

I was talking to my cousin after and she said see it can not have been so bad...and I said oh yes it is and if my SCS peeps saw it they would agree it needs serious work. It's hard to explain.
Maybe it's a great illustration of "containerized" vs "organized"...? It is all corralled and everything, but you know things aren't where they're supposed to be...

We're due for our annual inspection in a month or two, so the Christmas prep craftermath will be an issue over here...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 11:57 AM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

This just cracked me up! Glad the inspection went well...and what a nice person to appreciate your "organization" wall. I think that all of us struggle (me most!) with consistent and diligent putting things back where they go, not wait untill my work space is only a few inches wide.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 01:56 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I used to try and excuse my craft room to people who remember it as our family room. Well, no more. Now it's my studio and if they don't know i make cards in there, there's no reason to tell them.

Case in point, yesterday the furnace guy came to do the winter check and asked where the thermostat is. Down the hall, past my studio! He seemed impressed.? I think.

So, you're good for another year. Congrats. Now go play and make something pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 02:42 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

Inspections? Who comes to inspect your houses? I understand a home inspection when listing home to sell, but...? Why?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:19 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I can't speak for Wavejumper, but our apartment complex does an annual inspection to see if there's damage, etc., and (I suspect) to see if you're worthy of a lease renewal...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:47 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I'm wondering why those of us who have craft rooms have difficulty calling them our studios? Defined as a room where an artist, a photographer or sculptor works... I would venture to say that fits the room where I make artistic cards, photograph those same cards, and right now where I'm sculpting paper napkins with watercolors. I can't draw worth a darn, but I can color with the best of them and in several mediums too. So here ever after, my craft room shall be referred to as my studio.

Who's with me?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 05:11 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

I'm with you, Linda! But I will need to re-train myself to think that way.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 06:39 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
I'm wondering why those of us who have craft rooms have difficulty calling them our studios? Defined as a room where an artist, a photographer or sculptor works... I would venture to say that fits the room where I make artistic cards, photograph those same cards, and right now where I'm sculpting paper napkins with watercolors. I can't draw worth a darn, but I can color with the best of them and in several mediums too. So here ever after, my craft room shall be referred to as my studio.

Who's with me?
I‘m a crafter. Occasionally an artistic crafter, though not always. When I was making kiln-formed glass bowls and other pieces, there was ongoing and sometimes rancorous discussion on a glass forum about art vs. craft, copying, and hobbyists who undercut professional artists’ pricing/livelihood.

It’s nice to be away from it - from checking myself that my ideas are mine and not too derivative. So different than CASE!

So I embrace crafter and craft room/office and reserve artist and studio for those other folks. I’m not saying I’m right - just what’s comfortable.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 09:21 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Yep same as Sue. Also an apt. They charge us extra for some things so they come to see if we have them-like acs, dishwasher, second freezer and to make sure we do NOT have things we should not like washer/drying (bc the plumbing could not handle it)

They want to make sure you have not taken down or put up walls-fire violation

And overall appearance...like you are not a harborage for vermin, you are not letting the place get terribly run down, etc. The first part is a point of concern for me-my having boxes piled up is organized to me- but a hoarder to the next person...enough of those piles now may flag them as a harborage. That's pretty subjective to me.

Plus due to construction on the other side of the block, the rest of us are getting slam danced with mice. It's been a couple years now. I would have thought we would have run out by now.

Sue that is a good distinction...but in my case I have loose stamps and all kinds of stuff shoved in on top of boxes on shelves. One part I will be asking for opinions in a minute.

I cant do it either...call it my studio. Not yet. But all the people who have the beautiful rooms...although for me, the artists usually are in a mess with paints and brushes and old jars with water or turp around, and canvasses against the walls...if they sweep once or twice a year...or the equivalent in clay or whatever medium. One way I rationalize my space a bit :lolo:

I do think that a large number of pieces I have seen here definitely qualify as art. DH used to call them little pcs of art. Just because they are A2-mixed media is mixed media to me. Same as a 10 x 20 foot piece. The painting, hand drawing...just all kinds of stuff here. Given what I see in art shows...absolutely!!! Esp at the Museum of Modern Art (which btw I cant stand-bunch of pretentious nonsense in there)

Bottom line-it's your house. You pay the rent. You call a room whatever the H you want to!!! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I‘m a crafter. Occasionally an artistic crafter, though not always. When I was making kiln-formed glass bowls and other pieces, there was ongoing and sometimes rancorous discussion on a glass forum about art vs. craft, copying, and hobbyists who undercut professional artists’ pricing/livelihood.

It’s nice to be away from it - from checking myself that my ideas are mine and not too derivative. So different than CASE!

So I embrace crafter and craft room/office and reserve artist and studio for those other folks. I’m not saying I’m right - just what’s comfortable.

This book is one of my faves: Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. Short, quick read that makes you feel a whole lot better about using ideas you see out and about. I can't remember which famous musician he quoted, but it was something along the lines of "I only listen to artists I can steal from". The basic premise is that "original" is a mash-up of old ideas presented in a new way, and that you should steal good ideas and mash them up with other good ideas (NOT the same as plagiarism).

Be that as it may, I call my creative space a craft room, too. I'm weird anyway - even though I passed "girlhood" many years ago, I can't seem to see how the term "woman" applies to me at all...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Sue, agree it’s a really good book (I have it!), and some of it speaks to what was going on and some not. Since I stopped making glass and sold everything in my glass workshop/studio (I called it either one at times!), that issue disappeared and did not reappear with paper crafting. Other than it’s neatest when something unexpected happens that maybe can be built on.

Sorry for the OT! Back to the previously scheduled studio discussion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So glad we own our home and no one comes to inspect it. Especially since I don't have a craft room or studio as you refer to it. My work is done on the kitchen table and my storage is in both the kitchen and the utility room. So I am often in a messy situation as being disabled I bring things into my kitchen table and leave them there so I don't have to run so much. But I am glad your inspection went well for you.

Here is my Flickr url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangerhofer/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #16  
Embossing Fanatic

hahaha, one woman's train wreck is another man's mass organizational skills!! love it!!! bet your bottom dollar he wouldn't say that about the abyss that is also my craft room. looks like HL, J, and M all backed trucks up and blew in craft supplies like blowing insulation into an attic!!!!! true story!!! hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 09:39 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 344 Likes on 132 Posts

What started out as my 'craft room' is now a storage dump which looks like a tip but I know where most things are - honestly! We renovated our hobby room a few years ago and that is now where I craft (with friends on occasion as I can seat 8 there ). I am starting to accumulate boxes in that room too, which tells me it's time to take control and do some serious organisation before I have two storage dumps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh ladies. I really think we need pix to decide if it’s just you or truly disorganized!! My studio is a disaster most of the time but I do have a wall of cubbies that looks pretty good most of the time. I hide all the junk in bins in each cubby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 01:37 PM   #19  
This reminds me of a Star Trek episode....

Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts

I bet the inspector saw the cleared surfaces and the rest - well it was up there so it must be good! Ha ha I'm glad it went well for you. Mine is pretty well organized but it doesn't necessarily look like it is to anyone else. ;)

"Fun must be always." - Tomas Hertl, San Jose Sharks
"It was fun." - Kirk, Star Trek: Generations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 06:11 PM   #20  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

As for the inspector, Lord Only Knows what he has seen. Sounds like yours looked great in comparison. Where I live in Texas, we do have county appraisers come out unannounced to look at our outside property for taxation purposes, but I have not lived in an apt since 1986 so I wouldn't know about them.

As for the "studio" name, I call mine my Playroom. Never could warm up to Studio. It always sounds pretentious to me. And I'm a passionate hobby artist, not an artist. This is all point of view. It's my hobby, not a career. If it were, I would probably feel differently about it. To each his own! xoxo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 10:56 PM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Yeah, no inspection for me...I would hate that. I always call it my art room...because I do MY art there....avoids, the whole studio/craft thing. I would give anything to have it neat and tidy but it just doesn't happen. I could stand to do a thorough purge as I have accumulated stuff over the years and some of it no longer interests me. Sadly cleaning it out doesn't interest me either, I rather gel plate, or play with distress sprays and inks....etc....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 03:55 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The last ‘inspection’ I had was while giving my brother’s friend an impromptu house tour during a cookout. Upon seeing my craft attic, he proclaimed that I had more stuff than HL and proceeded to tell everyone at the party just that! Needless to say, no future tours included my space, except for kindred spirits. Some people just don’t get it and never will!!! And btw, arguably, not ‘quite’ as much as HL. Lol
Barb Cards made 2021 #369 2020: #324 2019: #286 2018: #169 2017: #276 2016: #389 2015: #415 2014: #342
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 06:21 AM   #23  
Embossing Fanatic

oh my gosh Rebecca, someone asked for pictures about a year ago and I told them if they ever seen my obit, they were more than welcome to come and help my hubby make sense of what's in the abyss, till then, they have to just take my word on it. hahahaha if I ever get it cleaned up, I'll share pictures then. hahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 06:52 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

SERIOUSLY???? They come in your home once a year to "inspect?" "Inspect" for WHAT???? I do understand that they are looking for anyway to increase your taxes, but that doesn't sound "American!" I remember when we lived in another state, I think it was the gas company (city) wanted us to give them our house key so they could come in anytime they wanted to check the meter.... the house was older & they hadn't moved the meter outside. That was just after the BTK killer was found out---- (For those that don't remember, the BTK killer WAS a meter reader!) Before we moved in they were used to the little old lady, leaving the door unlocked all the time for them. And you won't believe this either, but the meter man gossiped about us not leaving our door unlocked to the neighbors, like we weren't "normal!" LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 06:57 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Just read post #12 to answer my question. LOL I think I'd be MOVING OUT of NYC!!! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 11:20 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 458 Likes on 305 Posts

LOL

Thanks for sharing with us! Glad the inspection went well for you!
Jeremiah 29:11
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni | Proud FanClub member since 2017
My
Gallery
| My Blog
"The wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

My space is known as the Mom Cave - or the Cave for short and easy, in the house. I think of it as my studio, and call it that on occasion. It truly is my happy place - I walk in and I can feel my body relax and my blood pressure go down *and I have low blood pressure to begin with!*.

Lately it had gotten really bad though, and it wasn't happy and I wasn't happy. So I looked around and focused on the closet which had worked really well with cobbled together storage and shelves. And I envisioned built in shelves which would open it up. I talked to my niece who is a genius with this sort of stuff, and she agreed to come take a look at it. She and I eventually agreed on a wire shelving unit built inside the closet, and last week, she and her hubs got it put together. The good guy at Lowe's was able to find some hard board that cut to size worked to cover the wired shelf so my paper could sit on it and not get warped and voila! I emptied it out and took over the living room with detritus and paper and goods, and they came over and transformed the inside of the closet and oh my goodness! What a difference.

My studio Cave is again a gem to walk into. I now will have (once everything is back in place and cleaned up) a place for my computer, and I've gained larger space just for creating. What a gem. I love this. Yum. Walk in and sigh in happiness. Yay.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 05:39 AM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

after reading the last little bit of #12 and talking about art, the conclusion I was finally able to come, and this in regards to my own art, is that anything I put my hands to is art. granted it took me nearly 60 years to come that conclusion. but I finally realized that what I love and what I love to do are gifts from our Creator and He is greatest artist of all time and as I have read and heard others say, "We are created by the Creator to create". this is my mantra and thankfulness. so no matter your level of creativity, look at it as art. if some of these people that have been gone for many years do stuff that is called art, then dog-gone-it, mine is art too. and so is everyone's. so, create art and enjoy the process. hugs, patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 12:44 PM   #30  
Gallery Gazer

Nice, Sue. I work with my hands and heart, but given the many why-did-I-do-that mess-ups, sometimes not my brain. What does that make me? :shock:

Calling myself a crafter (or maker) is an honor, not a put-down. Paper crafting is the ”place” I’d longed for, often without knowing it.

Artists and crafters and students and writers and professors and art critics have debated the distinction between art and craft for eons.

We have different definitions of art, different religions or no religion, are spiritual or not. I like to think there is room for everyone. I happen to love much modern art and am a color theory addict. (Josef Albers = Hero.)

The few art history classes/workshops I’ve taken make me wish I’d studied art history seriously. It’s fascinating in context with what was happening at the time the art is made - with science, politics, all the things.

*Am content but need to spend more time making and less time thinking and imagining, which causes me feel like I’ve already made something when I haven’t.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-14-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Crazy chrome spacing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

I hear you Beth! I agree with "room for everyone". Labels and semantics and getting caught up in any of that is just not worth the effort. We're all just going on faith, anyway, and nobody knows ANY of this for sure! We all just need to do/feel/be what works for us and allow everyone else the same latitude, yes?

I'm always fascinated by what people are fascinated by. Some of it never even enters my awareness until someone mentions what they are into. And so begins another education for me...

I hear you on the making, too - I keep walking into my room, getting overwhelmed with too many choices and walking out again - or organizing/purging something (again). I seriously need to pull out a few favorite things and ignore everything else while I USE them!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 02:43 PM   #32  
Kookie Creator

Sue, that quote from St. Francis is one of my all-time favorites! Thanks for bringing it into the conversation. And thanks, you and Beth, for letting us eavesdrop on your conversation - it was good.

I'm slowly getting my Cave into a place where it will be workable - soon. And each move, and placement of something in a workable spot makes me smile! Dusting and cleaning as I go - rearranging, etc...Just loving it all. Yippeeeeeee. Soon will be able to sit and make, not just organize.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I hear you Beth! I agree with "room for everyone". Labels and semantics and getting caught up in any of that is just not worth the effort. We're all just going on faith, anyway, and nobody knows ANY of this for sure! We all just need to do/feel/be what works for us and allow everyone else the same latitude, yes?

I'm always fascinated by what people are fascinated by. Some of it never even enters my awareness until someone mentions what they are into. And so begins another education for me...

I hear you on the making, too - I keep walking into my room, getting overwhelmed with too many choices and walking out again - or organizing/purging something (again). I seriously need to pull out a few favorite things and ignore everything else while I USE them!
After imagining making something and variations it feels as if it’s finished, so there’s less motivation to actually make it. And ditto on overwhelming opportunities. What if we closed our eyes, reached into a stamp bin and die bin (or binder!) and made three cards from whatever we nabbed? ;)

Re art history... When in color training, an extra two-day workshop was offered in “how to see” from an amazing 86-year-old artist/color consultant/theorist from Europe. We did exercises, learned about the NCS color system (ouch, my head), looked at slides, and she spoke at length about how to see them more deeply. She spent a long time on this one and how it fit into that changing society. Layers like an onion, and riveting.
15 Facts About Renoir's Luncheon of the Boating Party | Mental Floss
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 10:46 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

wavejumper- That is so funny. I bet it was such a relief when you shut the door and told him goodbye too, lol. Inspection days can be the worst.

I always say my room is a studio. It is a studio. A lot of you are artists you know. You can call your room a studio. This is the difference between art and crafts- http://www.differencebetween.net/mis...art-and-craft/

If you read that article then you can see that crafting is a beautiful form and normal society has made it's definition of crafting as something to roll your eyes at or homemakers with too much time reputation. As you see that is not true at all. I could debate that crafting does invoke emotions. I understand the concept what the differences are. Looking at the Mona Lisa will evoke emotions for me. I have been very moved looking at an artisan quilt. I have always said art conveys emotions and crafts are stories. Think of it this way would you tell the beautiful ladies of the 13th centuries that the tapestries they created are just crafts? You all can say studio and be proud of it. Remember paper crafting is history being told. There have been many articles written in history magazines and books on papercrafting and the historical importance of it. You all can see this is a topic I am passionate about, lol.

On the topic of inspection. With homeowning on decline and more people renting, inspecting properties is very common. It helps the owner be able to adjust rent accordingly per year. Protects her/him from damages caused by tenants that will lower the property value. It is smart property ownership in the 21st century.

Also those who receive any type of federal housing must have an inspection to make sure their dwellings are up to code and standards per the governments guidelines.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 03:04 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

DeeAnn, you have a studio, mine is a craft room or workshop, all perfectly lovely words. The debate about art vs. craft will never reach consensus; chapters in books, mountains of articles present different and opposing points of view. If a segment (not all) of society has a narrow view of crafting, that’s okay. Since when has society agreed on anything?

Craft is a strong word to my mind, evoking skills and careful attention to detail. And my craft room holds the tools and supplies (and joy and messiness) of my craft. If some cards out there are more art-y and some more craft-y, how wonderful - that shows that anyone can participate at any level. Just my take; YMMV.*

* Your Mileage May Vary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 05:47 AM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

some of the comments on this thread brought back memories from a couple of months ago. I belong to the county extension office club called Family Community Education clubs. there are several diff clubs in the county according to the locations in the county where the ladies live. I make beads. I got hooked on them a few years ago when I was sick and didn't have the energy to do much else, but I could cut and roll beads. during that time, I developed my own technique. I have made some beautiful beads. I have THOUSANDS of beads!!! anyway, when I started entering my jewelry in the county fair and started winning blue ribbons, people became interested in my beads and techniques. understand, there are a lot of snippy women in these clubs. I don't have time for that. if I know something, I'm willing to share, not everyone can say the same. I did not share my final techniques with them, because that is my signature, so to speak, for my beads. anyway, this one club had been after me to come to their club and share with them, so I finally decided I would. one of my best friends is in that club and she came to me and told me that they just want my final technique, because thats all some of them talked about in their meeting. I thanked her for bringing that to my attention. the night came and I went to their club meeting and done my presentation. one woman there, was up in my face, leaning over my shoulder and asking me where I learned to do that!! then she said, "that's not how they taught us in COLLEGE how to do it!!! every thing she said, I had an answer for her. I told her ""this IS MY way of rolling beads. I did not ask a professor how to roll beads, I did not have a professor show me how to roll beads!!"" she was in my face, just like a heckler, for a solid 2 hours. she finally asked me, "well, just who taught you how to roll beads?" I looked her smack dab in the face and told her "My Momma did, when I was 8 years old!!!!!!! I DID NOT have to go to college to learn how to roll beads, thank you very much!!!" needless to say, my demo stopped at that moment and she hasn't spoken to me sense and I haven't lost any sleep. I did learn a lot from that night. I am vp of my club and if we have anyone in doing a demo, there will be no hecklers, educated or not, I will invite them to leave. the president of this club just sat there and never said anything or made any kind of gesture to shut her up and let me do my demo. I laughed and said that the devil always puts at least one thorn in any group and this woman was a thorn. but I did learn that an education has nothing to do with being polite and kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 10:54 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
DeeAnn, you have a studio, mine is a craft room or workshop, all perfectly lovely words. The debate about art vs. craft will never reach consensus; chapters in books, mountains of articles present different and opposing points of view. If a segment (not all) of society has a narrow view of crafting, that’s okay. Since when has society agreed on anything?

Craft is a strong word to my mind, evoking skills and careful attention to detail. And my craft room holds the tools and supplies (and joy and messiness) of my craft. If some cards out there are more art-y and some more craft-y, how wonderful - that shows that anyone can participate at any level. Just my take; YMMV.*

* Your Mileage May Vary
I definitely understand what you are saying. My heart breaks when I read comments that the ladies maybe don't feel like their art or rooms are even themselves are worthy of art or the beautiful artisan world of crafting. I think they hear the derogatory remarks degrading and poking fun at their rooms or themselves. I want them to know they are worthy of their rooms and their own art self. I don't care if they are painting the next masterpiece to finger painting. They are creating beauty and stories.

I agree everyone should call their art sanctuary whatever they want- art table, craft room, workshop, studio, brothel, a large nightmare . I just want them to feel they are worthy of that room. It is not a wasted space, or to much time on their hands or all the other things mean little envious people say.

rosetreasures- Wow poor baby girl. I am seething for you. I wish I was there. No, maybe you would not wish I was there, lol. I would have gave "Ms Educated, No Manners" a piece of my mind. What you bet she went home and started rolling beads the way you taught it. Then she went and told everybody it was her idea. ;) That lady has some serious insecurity issues in her life. I am so impressed you have thousands of beads. I bet they are so beautiful. I love making beads too. I would love to inspire to make that many beads someday.

Last edited by lylacfey; 11-15-2019 at 11:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 10:56 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Rosetresures: Isn't it great there is more than one way to do something? ::shaking my head and laughing:: she was certainly a PITA (pain in the tuchas) and I'm glad you don't have to deal with her again. Respect is the keyword here and I'm just amazed at the number of folks who think theirs is the only godgiven way to do a particular technique, kind of art, etc. Just boggles the mind, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 10:59 PM   #39  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I definitely understand what you are saying. My heart breaks when I read comments that the ladies maybe don't feel like their art or rooms are even themselves are worthy of art or the beautiful artisan world of crafting. I think they hear the derogatory remarks degrading and poking fun at their rooms or themselves. I want them to know they are worthy of their rooms and their own art self. I don't care if they are painting the next masterpiece to finger painting. They are creating beauty and stories.

I agree everyone should call their art sanctuary whatever they want- art table, craft room, workshop, studio, brothel, a large nightmare . I just want them to feel they are worthy of that room. It is not a wasted space, or to much time on their hands or all the other things mean little envious people say.

I just wanted to tell you I wholeheartedly agreed with what you said here, and the like button wasn't available...so! I wholeheartedly agree with you. So there!

Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 02:04 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

Good to hear that Inspection went well for you.
Reply With Quote Likes