Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-11-2019, 11:19 PM   #1  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So many ink options

Hi there! As I'm fairly new to cardmaking and looking to start building my supply stock, I find myself confused by all the different ink options out there. I've been trying to research online but can't really find the information I'm looking for. So, there are pigment inks, dye inks, distressed oxide inks, and so on and so on. What are the differences/traits of each type of ink? For now, I'm just looking to stamp (not really worried too much about techniques for now), and possibly coloring in the stamped images (be it with marker or colored pencil......I'd be leaning more toward colored pencil probably). Can anybody kinda offer some insight? Thank you in advance for your help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 04:57 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

This would be a really great resource to have on the site - I'll put it on a to-do list for 2020! Meanwhile, here's a pretty thorough description from Ellen Hutson's blog:

The Essential Ink Guide – Ellen Hutson

Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

(Also, good morning and welcome to Splitcoast!!)
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 08:39 PM   #4  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
This would be a really great resource to have on the site - I'll put it on a to-do list for 2020! Meanwhile, here's a pretty thorough description from Ellen Hutson's blog:

Oooh, thank you! I'll check this out for sure!
And, thank you for the warm welcome! I'm so excited to get started on all the fun cardmaking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 06:34 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

this is awesome to have on the 2020 "to do" list. look forward to it. while I have been crafting for many years, and lost of items have come and gone, I have stuck with the inks I started out with. happy with them, but when I see the newer inks on the market, I ask myself "do I really need them"? so far, I haven't broke down and purchased much. but with a good comparison list, 2020 might be the year. hahaha thanks, patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 08:55 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I find the ink variations a chore to deal with. All the different sizes and shapes makes organization difficult. I thought I was being thrifty years ago when I bought about 48 of the little cube pigment inks from the dollar store. The full size pads were a lot more, so going small gave me a big colour selection to choose from. But before I had used much of the ink out of them the foam turned to mush. That was a big waste of money in the end. I was afraid of buying ink pads after that experience. But I still wanted colours so I finally broke down and spent a lot for me on Stampin' Up full size dye ink sets. I haven't opened them all yet but am very pleased with them so far. I hope the foam doesn't dissolve in them. The old office ink pads used to be felt covered with some kind of cloth and were re-inkable and lasted a really long time. The Ranger Distress Inks seem to be like that. For pigment ink I just use the basic black or embossing clear ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey, welcome to Splitcoast! This is a great community and we're glad you are here.

I second Dina's suggestion on comparison. I don't see Altenew's inks on the picture, so if they aren't in the comparison, check those out, too. You can buy them singly, and in large or small size. They are quality inks, and either will serve you well. They are also sold in color families in the small size - which I find really helpful. Just my two cents worth, unadjusted for inflation <G>.

I also have a wide selection of inks, just added those for consideration because I didn't see them in the pic.

Again - welcome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 10:06 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Welcome Hardy's Mom! I love your dog avatar. She/He is a cutie pie.

Add me to the "Still have the inks I started out with" I hate buying inks. It is so confusing.

My biggest advice is your choice black ink. Don't go frugal. It will not be frugal in the long run. Buy a good quality black ink for your coloring medium.

You wrote you are leaning towards colored pencil. I love Versafine Onyx Black for stamping and using colored pencils. It is a bit pricey but you will never need to reink it.

Marker's depends on the marker. If you use water base markers then you can use Versafine or Ranger Archival. I use Ranger Archival when working with watercolors.

If you are using alcohol marker's you will need an ink formulated for those marker's. I use Memento Tuxedo Black.

Black inks that you are stamping to color you definitely need to buy the formulation that you plan to use your coloring medium with.

My other inks I use all the time for stamping are my full set of Stampin Up. That is an investment. I did a lot of research. I wanted a good dye base ink pads with a large color range. At the time SU fit those needs. If I want to make them pigment I load up my stamp with Versamark and then ink my stamp with my dye ink.

Distress Inks are technically technique inks. You can stay away from those for all purpose stamping. Those are more to get into when you expand to stamping techniques if it something you become interested in.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #9  
Glitter Queen

Oh my goodness. You all have been so helpful and nice. I sure do appreciate it! Thank you!
I do have some ink pads already, but my craft room is such a disorganized mess (go figure.....lol) that it would take a small miracle to find them. LOL I might just hit the crafty stores this weekend and see what I can find out there. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2019, 11:01 PM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardy's MomView Post
Oh my goodness. You all have been so helpful and nice. I sure do appreciate it! Thank you!
I do have some ink pads already, but my craft room is such a disorganized mess (go figure.....lol) that it would take a small miracle to find them. LOL I might just hit the crafty stores this weekend and see what I can find out there. ;)

Well, we try to be nice And definitely - if you can't find what you already have, the best choice is always to go buy more <yanking tongue outta my cheek...<G>

And maybe some storage containers?

Giggling, cuz I have been there and done that!
Joni
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 04:29 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Something a local stamp shop (LSS) owner said when I was figuring out which inks to buy: dye inks are the same regardless of company, many are made by the same manufacturer at the same plant. Not pigment, Distress, Distress Oxides, dye-pigment fusions, just dye. So you can try different dye inks, fill in color gaps from different companies, and may even decide you like the shape or lid better from certain companies.

Impression Obsession (IO) inks may be worth a look because they come in light to dark variations of a hue. When they first came out the owner (visiting that same LSS) said her formula was no different than any others; she thought there was a gap in light-to-dark ink in certain color families. Altenew has that too. I’d had a little trouble with the small cubes being a little dry or the lids not fitting well - but they may have improved that.

If I was starting out again I’d get dye inks, definitely Distress Oxides, and really good black inks. The one pigment ink I’d get is Hero Arts Unicorn (white).

There are threads here just about black inks which we can find for you if you’d like. Some blacks are blacker, some play nice with alcohol markers, some with water.

Here’s another video about ink. It’s from 2017 but the points still hold:

My Favorite Crafty Things - Inks (Updated) - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Welcome and enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-16-2019, 04:51 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I’d add Gina K’s Amalgam inks, especially in black, to the mix if you want to color but aren’t sure which medium you’ll use. It’s formulated to work with alcohol-based markers or watercolor. And of course color pencil would be fine too. For color ink pads, I turn most to my Memento dew drops and Altenew mini cubes. Happy shopping!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 01:54 AM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
If I was starting out again I’d get dye inks, definitely Distress Oxides, and really good black inks. The one pigment ink I’d get is Hero Arts Unicorn (white).
I am always making notes about inks because inks are the worst to figure out for this hobby. I love your list so much because I think it's practical, updated and modern.

Why would you choose Distress Oxides if you were starting out again?

Any info would be such a help I think for a lot of us, especially us who are trying to update our inks for the new decade or getting into stamping.

Hardy's Mom- I forgot to add a white ink to my list too when I posted. I heard Hero Arts Unicorn White is the best to purchase. I am still using Brilliance Moonlight White. Not for any particular reason just because it's shimmery. I love shimmery things.

I am going to "steal" bjeans list of "If I had to start over again" I would pick black inks for the coloring mediums I use. A good set of dye inks. Versamark, & a white ink.

I also would purchase a set of brush markers because I do like multi-coloring my stamps and then stamping them out. Flower for example- Color the stamp flower with red, then it's leaves- green, etc... Brush markers are not a must have. Many stampers don't stamp like this. I love it and use this technique a lot. Brush markers are a must have for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 06:35 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I am always making notes about inks because inks are the worst to figure out for this hobby. I love your list so much because I think it's practical, updated and modern.

Why would you choose Distress Oxides if you were starting out again?

Any info would be such a help I think for a lot of us, especially us who are trying to update our inks for the new decade or getting into stamping.

Hardy's Mom- I forgot to add a white ink to my list too when I posted. I heard Hero Arts Unicorn White is the best to purchase. I am still using Brilliance Moonlight White. Not for any particular reason just because it's shimmery. I love shimmery things.

I am going to "steal" bjeans list of "If I had to start over again" I would pick black inks for the coloring mediums I use. A good set of dye inks. Versamark, & a white ink.

I also would purchase a set of brush markers because I do like multi-coloring my stamps and then stamping them out. Flower for example- Color the stamp flower with red, then it's leaves- green, etc... Brush markers are not a must have. Many stampers don't stamp like this. I love it and use this technique a lot. Brush markers are a must have for me.
First a confession: since I’m a heat embossing addict, I’d absolutely get Versamark, Versafine in Onyx black and some Versafine Clair inks. (To the Hardy’s Mom, Versamark is a clear sticky ink that embossing powder sticks to.) Versafine Onyx black (and all Versafine colors) and Versafine Clair inks 1) heat emboss wonderfully and 2) can stamp extremely fine details, so are great for sentiments too.

Weirdly, magically, Versafine Clair inks will heat emboss many minutes after being stamped - even when they feel dry. I’ve gone up to 6 or 7. So you get a two-fer - great embossing, great stamping. But since Hardy’s Mom didn’t ask about heat embossing I didn’t list them. I should have. I learned heat embossing at my first stamping class and it was the angels’ sing moment.

Distress Oxides? They 1) stamp well, 2) blend like butter for backgrounds or die cuts, and 3) love being used for techniques. So even if techniques aren’t going to be done right away, there’s #1 and #2, plus using a brush your paint-on-stamp method works too. Besides, Worn Lipstick is the best color. ;)

And with them I might get one regular Distress ink - Walnut Stain. Since it’s translucent and Distress Oxides are opaque - more like working with paint - putting a very thin layer of Walnut Stain over bright Oxide colors, and/or around the edges does a beautiful job of toning down or aging them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 07:42 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

bjeans covered it pretty well, so I'm not going to add much - just wanted to throw in a quick comment on Distress Oxides. I am NOT a technique person - especially with regular Distress inks - but I ADORE the oxides! I haven't played with them all that much yet, but they are rapidly becoming my go-to inks...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2019, 10:04 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I disagree about Worn Lipstick. Peacock Feathers is the best color! When I color with DI Worn Lipstick is the one I grab most from my reds.

I am not a technique girl. I love the Distress line. I want to finish my collection. I admit I just look at them in confusion. I am not into the aged look. It is a pretty but I am more into deep rich colors, glamour, jewel looks. I think that is my big problem with the Distress lines. I don’t know how to make them work for my style. I know I am not the only one going through this conundrum.

This is a great thread even for us who have been stamping awhile. I am doing a small update of my room to start fresh for 2020. I am updating inks too for the new decade.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 02:28 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I disagree about Worn Lipstick. Peacock Feathers is the best color! When I color with DI Worn Lipstick is the one I grab most from my reds.

I am not a technique girl. I love the Distress line. I want to finish my collection. I admit I just look at them in confusion. I am not into the aged look. It is a pretty but I am more into deep rich colors, glamour, jewel looks. I think that is my big problem with the Distress lines. I don’t know how to make them work for my style. I know I am not the only one going through this conundrum.

This is a great thread even for us who have been stamping awhile. I am doing a small update of my room to start fresh for 2020. I am updating inks too for the new decade.
Welllll, I’ll give you that Peacock Feathers is the cats meow.

If you want richer with Oxides, just go heavier when blending, more layers if need be, and double stamp or more.

Versafine Clairs are quite rich and some jewel toned. So much so that I keep hoping they’ll bring out lighter colors and sometimes second generation stamp with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 05:03 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

True story on the Versafine Clairs inks - GORGEOUS COLORS! I only have nine of the colors so far, but intend to acquire the full line eventually. I have the complete collection of Stampin'Up! colors up to the 2017 InColors, but their colors tend to be a bit more muted than I prefer, so I am filling in with other brands. All of the SU! inks are on DIY mini cubes (blog post HERE) and I got THESE to fill with reinkers and gave the full-size bottles to my daughter (who also has DIY minis). DIs, Oxides and Versafine (regular and Clair) are all full-size pads, as are Memento (Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa and London Fog), Versamark and Delicata Golden Glitz. I do have a handful of full-size SU and CTMH pads that I love the color but don't have a refill for. Not that you need all of this information, but just to inform what happens over a couple of decades of collecting and new things showing up in the craft, etc...

Last edited by gregzgurl; 11-18-2019 at 05:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 05:18 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

Versafine Clair ink colors = Vibrant 4 DeeAnn. Even the lightest colors aren’t pastel. Verdant looks like on the chart. It’s not. Warm Breeze is the quietest, maybe. To my eyes Nocturne is the blackest black out there, not that some other inks aren’t very black.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Added “Clair.”
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

bjeans- I love this idea of heavier blending with the Oxides. Thank you. Thank you so much for the Versafine Clair chart. That is exactly the kind of colors I adore. I have been thinking of getting some Versafine Clair. I adore oil based inks. They stamp so beautifully. The details just pop. I am a detailed stamper.

Poor Hardy's Mom. We must be confusing so much. Let's so dumb this down.

First pick up a black ink for the coloring medium you want to use. Then pick up a color ink in your favorite color.

I am positive that every single one of us on this forum only use about five color inks regularly out of our whole very large collections. I know some of the ladies are like "No, I only use black, gray & brown!" Gray & Brown count as colors, lol.

I know I regularly use Stampin Up Marvelous Magenta. Magenta is one of my favorite colors. I use Stampin Up Mellow Moss because I love it for foliage and dinosaurs. I love Stampin Up's Taken With Teal. I think those colors are retired. I use Distress Ink & the Oxide Peackock Feathers. I love Brilliance Pearlescence Blue. Those are the colors I reach for most often.

If you pick up your favorite colors you will start seeing a theme in how you stamp. A couple of months ago when Hobby Lobby was having an ink sale I spied Ranger Archival Magenta Hue. I snagged it up, full size pad because I knew I would use that color all the time because Stampin Up's magenta is my favorite. Since I can use it with watercolors I knew it wouldn't set in my pile of poor ink pads that need to be used more.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 12:22 AM   #21  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

bjeans- I love this idea of heavier blending with the Oxides. Thank you. Thank you so much for the Versafine Clair chart. That is exactly the kind of colors I adore. I have been thinking of getting some Versafine Clair. I adore oil based inks. They stamp so beautifully. The details just pop. I am a detailed stamper.

Poor Hardy's Mom. We must be confusing so much. Let's so dumb this down.

First pick up a black ink for the coloring medium you want to use. Then pick up a color ink in your favorite color.

I am positive that every single one of us on this forum only use about five color inks regularly out of our whole very large collections. I know some of the ladies are like "No, I only use black, gray & brown!" Gray & Brown count as colors, lol.

I know I regularly use Stampin Up Marvelous Magenta. Magenta is one of my favorite colors. I use Stampin Up Mellow Moss because I love it for foliage and dinosaurs. I love Stampin Up's Taken With Teal. I think those colors are retired. I use Distress Ink & the Oxide Peackock Feathers. I love Brilliance Pearlescence Blue. Those are the colors I reach for most often.

If you pick up your favorite colors you will start seeing a theme in how you stamp. A couple of months ago when Hobby Lobby was having an ink sale I spied Ranger Archival Magenta Hue. I snagged it up, full size pad because I knew I would use that color all the time because Stampin Up's magenta is my favorite. Since I can use it with watercolors I knew it wouldn't set in my pile of poor ink pads that need to be used more.
Can you believe I actually found my little "shoebox" container that had my inks in it? I had a little tip top taupe (I think that was the name of it) from a Paper Pumpkin that I got one month, and also I had a black Stampin Up ink pad in there. Also I found a few Christmas stamps that I COMPLETELY forgot that I had! It was like Christmas morning!!! LOL I do think that I will use black ink more than anything. And I've added the Stamparatus onto my Christmas wish list this year. Eeeeek!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

Glad you found your "shoebox", Hardy's Mom. I have the tip top taupe mini pad from the Paper Pumpkin. When it gets dry, you can find a similar color either in SU or another company. I have inks by Gina K Designs, Lawn Fawn, Hero Arts, Memento, and many SU. I tend to gravitate towards small ink pads and love my markers. I do agree with everyone commenting that a great black is a must have.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 01:47 AM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

Holy schneikies! That was BEYOND helpful! She talked about things that I didn't even think inks could do! The Ink On 3 fade ink.......OMG.....how cool is that!?!?
Thank you so much for sharing this video!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 04:33 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

If I were to start again, I would get Distress Oxides and No regular pigment inks. The oxides are excellent technique and stamping ink. And there are loads of color combinations all over Pinterest using these colors.

I would stick with Versafine and Memento for my black inks.

And then mix and match all the dye inks. Or if you like them to match the cardstock, choose a company that has matching.

You might be able to get away with stamping with water based markers, if you don’t want a huge supply of dye inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post
If I were to start again, I would get Distress Oxides and No regular pigment inks. The oxides are excellent technique and stamping ink. And there are loads of color combinations all over Pinterest using these colors.

And then mix and match all the dye inks. Or if you like them to match the cardstock, choose a company that has matching.

You might be able to get away with stamping with water based markers, if you don’t want a huge supply of dye inks.
^ This. Exactly.

Other than I don’t use water based markers except when I do: Zig Clean Color Brushes. (They don’t have the name “marker” but are sometimes referred to that way.) But they’re for later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 07:57 AM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by howdyheidiView Post

Just a word of warning on this: Many, many people are brilliant at coloring stamps with water-based markers to stamp, rather than using an ink pad. I am NOT on that list! My marker-stamping skillz sucketh. Perhaps it's a learning curve, but I don't have the patience to acquire this particular skill. Just another thing to consider in all of your mulling over...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 04:38 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow. Boy do I wish that tutorial was around when I started! That was great. Thank you Dina! I wish her supply list said which bristol paper she was using.

My two tips...
For the basic black pads and your versamark....have re-inkers because you use those the most. It is not a rush-the pads will last awhile and unlike colors I can't see them being discontinued. Versamark has been around forever for example. But I would.

Get the right paper. It is like trying to ride a bike over very bad road if you don't.

Many people use Neenah 110# as their card base. (and stamp on the 80#) And then attach a panel they worked to it. You can do some stuff direct to it but...as you saw, it is not coated. So it wont blend as well (it can be done-its just more work as you have to lay more layers of ink). But it is a nice stamping paper

There is alcohol ink pens /copic specific paper.

There is bristol that is good for colored pens w gamsol. Btw-some people use baby oil instead of gamsol.

So just three papers. When I started out it seemed to me there were 500 kinds of paper and I was very overwhelmed. There are some common specialty papers but we dont need to discuss that now.

If you want to start with water color pencils and pens-then you will have to get watercolor paper. I would suggest a bristol. (which mostly means it is smooth)

Write on the paper packs or pads what to use them for. Even easier to forget with paper. Dont make the mistake I did and pre-cut a bunch because if they are all over your desk...I know I am lost. Cut as you need it.

I am going to talk about something not mentioned: bleed through

One major reason people do panels and attach them to the card base is b/c of this.

Alcohol inks are notorious for this. Even on the paper for them if you put down a lot of ink for blending. But if you do multi-stamps like a multi-layer flower or you stamp that balloon with a dye ink three times to get a more solid color-you may have it too. Any ink that soaks into the paper can have bleed through. I cant speak to gamsol. I have not used it.

Esp if you use thinner paper like 80#.

Pigments wont because they sit on the top of the paper and dont soak in.

I am going to mention a term too just so you don't get confused.

Old schoolers like me may use the word postcard. Postcards are a full A2 size and I was taught to work on those and attach them to the card face. You wont see the card base. Companies will sell pre-cut paper called postcards. Of course, you could cut them down into panels. I get them at my local stamp store. They are just any paper pre-cut to A2. You can get pads of them in designer paper or loose solids.

Panel are the more modern word and would indicate to me that it is 1/8" inch (or more) smaller around the edge, and you will see the card base or a middle layer and the card base. However-smaller pieces can also be called a panel-like a 2 inch wide rectangle. People might say layer too.

Either way what's important is WHY we use them. Bleed through. (or if people want to pop them up with foam, or some find it easier and less dangerous to damage the card base) Which is a side effect of the ink and why I am mentioning it now. It is PITA if you work direct to card base and this happens. Then you have to cut it apart and layer on a new card base. So just fore-warned.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

I couldn’t agree more that quality paper is key to good stamping. And just a tip about Neenah cardstock: the Neenah many card makers use is Neenah *Classic Crest* in solar white.

Neenah cardstock sold in big box office supply stores is Neenah *Exact Index” solar white. The quality is lower and the paper much thinner - even though they both say 80# or 110#. (It’s the g/m that’s different, confusing.)

I’ve met people in real life and on line who were confused about why all the Neenah love - because they mistakenly purchased Exact Index, including a visiting instructor once! Screenshot attached of the difference in thickness between the two. (From a Jennifer McGuire video.)

Neenah Classic Crest is my go-to for blending Distress Oxides and some other inks. But there are other good papers too.

I’d never heard that bleed-through is why layers are used. Maybe it’s also partly a natural evolution over time? I think it’s often - not always - a more finished and substantial look because it provides a frame and/or matting. (I never get bleed through since I ignore my Copics.) But sometimes one-layer cards are the way to go.

The day I learned to stamp I brought my treasures to check out and was told to put back the Versafine re-inker, that it would last for years. Some inks - Versafines, Versafine Clairs - are so juicy that re-inkers aren’t generally needed, or not for ages. Others - like Distress Oxides - need re-inking frequently if doing techniques, especially. My Ranger Archival black is re-inked a lot. So before buying re-inkers, feel free to ask here if they’re really needed.

Last edited by bjeans; 11-20-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

I'm going to disagree a tad with bjeans...I've used my Distress Oxides a lot, and have not needed to reink them, and so, have not bought the reinkers for them. YMMV.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2019, 10:45 PM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by joniworxView Post
I'm going to disagree a tad with bjeans...I've used my Distress Oxides a lot, and have not needed to reink them, and so, have not bought the reinkers for them. YMMV.
And I'm going to disagree with you disagreeing with bjeans, lol... Some of my Oxides were drier than I would have liked when I first unwrapped them, so I needed the reinkers immediately! Climates and other circumstances have a substantial influence on how our products perform and how long they last and all the rest of it, so it's sort of a case-by-case situation, I'm thinkin'...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 12:36 AM   #31  
Kookie Creator

We are such an agreeable lot when we disagree Hugs to y'all!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 02:25 AM   #32  
Gallery Gazer

lol! I should have typed it’s more likely Oxides will need to be re-inked than many others. Mine are often used for blending, which uses lots of ink. My LSS owner doesn’t sell re-inkers - there’s limited space for a billion products. She changed her mind after customers nicely badgered her about Oxides. The only other one she carries is Ranger Archival black.

LSS - local stamp shop
YMMV - your mileage may vary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-21-2019, 02:16 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks Bjeans.
She always makes that distinction and it really matters. I always forget.

Bleed-through-maybe because when I learned I was being taught with alcohol inks. (which did not take in the long run). I often use sharpies-also an alcohol ink but they dont really blend. But they do bleed like mad. I esp like the fine tips for detail work.

Layers do create a nice look for sure.

Also as I said in passing which really deserves more space, is it is much easier to work a panel than a whole card that flops around and you can get stray ink/glue/whatever on. You just have to avoid my mistake of putting the panel on the card upside down.:rolleyes:
Funny you all are talking about re-inkers. I was JUST coming back to say they are a very subjective topic. Some people love them and others don't. I personally prefer ink lines that have them even if I don't have them in the house. (though I do have a lot of them but not all)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- I am pretty sure she is using Bristol Smooth in the video. Confession I will probably never own any of the popular cardstocks on the market- Neenah, etc.... I always use art paper for stamping. I do use a lot of Bristol. When she was stamping it looked like Bristol Smooth to me. I noticed Bristol Smooth always look so bright in videos but Bristol Vellum looks a little bit more yellow in videos. I think it's the way the cameras capture those hues.

wavejumper I am so happy you mentioned at the time we had 500 kinds of paper. I agree it was so confusing. I came over here and you were all using these cardstocks to stamp. I am like cardstock????? I never heard of stamping on cardstock. It was such a weird concept to me, lol. I am being serious as all get out. Day one since I have been stamping I bought all my stamping paper in the art department. I bought a package of SU Whisper White. I didn't like stamping on it. It is really lovely cardstock and I am definitely not shading it. I think it's one of those you know your beloved substrates. I love stamping on index cards. Weird huh? ROFL! I love my art paper.

I am so glad reinkers were brought up. I am organzing my color tools this week for the new decade. I was going through all my reinkers thinking how much I love them. I love, love, love my reinkers. I use them more than my ink pads. I do so many techniques with them. I made the prettiest Peacock Feathers background on photo paper the other day. I made a combination of alcohol/reinker to make my own alcohol ink. It turned out so pretty. I made some pretty ephemera with it using my punches. My reinkers I power use them. I think that's why I get so hesitant about purchasing so many inks because I want the reinkers with the pads. Then I start seeing all the dollar signs. I am like that is some serious I can't buy stamps money.

I have all the Versa black ink lines reinkers. I have Versamark reinker. I have all the reinkers to my Stampin up Pads. I have a good number of Distress Ink reinkers.

I would like to get the whole set of Distress Oxides. This is going to make some of you belly laugh. I use to be a Teacher's Aide back in the day where whiteboards were just being introduced but chalkboards were still being power used in classrooms. I hate the feeling of chalk on my hands. Typing this I can still taste it and feel it on my hands. Oooh, Yuck, Yuck, Yuck. I love chalky inks but I think of chalkboards and I get that icky ooh yucky feeling back, lol.

I bet that's why some of you might have to reink so much is that chalk and drier climates. I am in soup humidity climate area. I never had to reink. I also don't use like the four I own that much. I do love stamping on darker paper. That's why I want Oxides for.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-24-2019, 07:07 AM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Dee Ann...
I get it was Bristol Smooth-but there are more than kind of that. ((headache starting lol)) There is the Water color kind, the cardstock kind, etc. One would do gamsol pencil work on it for example...if I can do that on WC bristol that would cut down one pad. One day I will experiment and find out.

LOL. Hey-I still will do prototype layouts on copy paper. Susie Australia actually uses it all the time to color on. I have discovered not all copy paper is equal and I dont want to go there. LOLOL

One big tip I got here about paper was about the GSM/grams per square meter. This is a talk about it

Paper Weights Guide - Help understanding paper weights by PaperPapers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 01:53 AM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

wavejumper- I completely forgot Bristol makes 20 billion cardstocks, lol. I honestly really did. I always use Strathmore Smooth or Vellum. I forgot Neeneh has a version and a few other companies.

Add me to the copy paper prototype fan club. I have a big ream beside me all the time I use it so much. This is hilarious. I hardly use copy paper for it's real purpose. When I use my printer/copier I am using specialty papers- photo, stickers, vellum, etc.... If I do print/copy on copy paper it has to fit my requirements like 96 Bright White. My friend IRL always tease me I am such a paper snob, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 05:59 AM   #37  
Embossing Fanatic

DeAnn, I would LOVE to see your Peacock Feathers you done on photo paper. I love peacock feathers and that really caught my eye.

this has been a wonderful thread to read thru!! just awesome!! hugs y'all, patty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Add me to the copy paper prototype fan club. I have a big ream beside me all the time I use it so much. This is hilarious. I hardly use copy paper for it's real purpose. When I use my printer/copier I am using specialty papers- photo, stickers, vellum, etc.... If I do print/copy on copy paper it has to fit my requirements like 96 Bright White. My friend IRL always tease me I am such a paper snob, lol.

hehee...when I use copy paper, not only does it have to be 996 bright, it has to be 24 or 28 pound. oooh, is that smooth. Yeah, paper snobbery exists. I love the feel and texture and look and pattern, just like a true quilter loves the hand and pattern and look of fabric.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:15 PM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

To the OP: Welcome to the best stamping community ever! When it comes to ink pads/reinkers, I always tell any newbies to buy the reinker that goes with any of the ink pads they buy. That way your pad is always optimum as it is easier to stamp off for a lighter image than to restamp over and over. Also, there are so many fun techniques to do with reinkers that you will want to have them on hand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes, there are inks galore to choose from and I have/had my fair share of them.
These days I'm collecting waterproof mediums to use on textile projects that will be washed. I've joined a local quilter's guild and I have seen some amazing works where they have incorporated inks, markers, colored pencils, dyes, etc. in to their designs.
Oh yeah, another rabbit hole for me to venture down when I retire in the Spring. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes