Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-08-2019, 09:29 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default Storing Watercolor paper

As mentioned, I need advice.
I continue to work on my messy wall and I have hit "the pile" of watercolor pads of all sizes. Some are really big. I don't know why I did that. Been a while. Probably cheaper.

I poked around here as always but I am not seeing anything on this.

I definitely cant keep the big pads that size.

The question is:
What do I reduce to if I want to keep flexibility? 8 1/2 x 11? What size do I need for bigger envelopes like A7? I cant find my punch board right now. 11 x 14?

Do you cut yours down and to what? And how do you store it? Like all your other paper? How sensitive is WC to humidity? I know it bleaches like other papers exposed to sun.

Thanks for any ideas
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 01:06 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I solved the problem by sliding the big pads under the hanging files of 12" x 12" paper on my rolling cart, because there's a shelf under there - I don't want to cut them down. Since the cart is under a table, I'm not concerned about fading. Since I live in the DESERT, I'm not concerned about humidity, either. (Can you tell I'm over the whole desert thing? I need to move somewhere greener and with a greater variety of weather...)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 02:07 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Sue is there a reason you dont want to cut them down? If I have to...Maybe I can find a place for them but I am afraid I wont see them and they wont get used.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 02:15 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

For me there's different kinds of watercolor "pads".

If they are for regular watercolor painting, I buy blocks (glued on all edges) and keep them the way they come. I have those in a couple of sizes.

If they are for cards, then I buy either pads (glued at the top) or tablets (spiral at the top) and remove the paper and cut it to size. That means the 9x12 are cut in fourths and filed...ready to use. I usually pick the pad that cuts down to the sizes that are most convenient. 9x12 and 11x14 are my most common. All get stood up in a tray so I can just grab.

If I happen to buy full sheets, and I do like some papers that way, I cut them to the size that I will definitely use and store in the same way. Sometimes I like the deckle edge on a project. Sometimes I paint on whole sheets.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-08-2019, 07:56 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I don't want to cut them down because I want to try my hand at painting an actual watercolor painting (or two or six) and I use the papers for different sizes of projects (not just cards), so I never know what size I'm going to want. If I just made cards with the pads, I'd probably cut them down...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 AM   #6  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ah Sue. I am not so ambitious.

So Fionna you are cutting the 9 x 12 into 4 1/2 x 6's (ending as A2s) ...and the 11 x 14 into 5 1/2 x 7 right?

I have a couple pads of 90 lb that is 15 x 20. I have this memory that I got them for making envelopes? But the truth is I am still living off my huge Heinrich order from like 3 years ago...it isn't the same but I really have NO business using anything else there is so much left. (talk about ambitious)

So I don't have to worry about them curling if they are not in the pad form?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Watercolor paper envelopes! They would be beautiful, I remember having some from Winsor and Newton many years ago, but I'd never be so profligate with mine. Except the two really bad full size sheets of Fabriano I bought in an art store near work. Totally different to the Fabriano pads I get. I've sometimes bought full size sheets and I've never had curling problems after testing them into more manageable sizes for storage.
I guess what I would like, in hindsight, is a swatch of each different paper with the brand, finish and weight on it, and to store each type separately. Mine are all just in a stack, and sometimes it's hard to work out which one I used if I want the same paper again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-10-2019, 04:09 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Oh yeah-If I did not make a post it note immediately about which paper I would be in trouble.

WC paper envies are nice if you are going to do envie art like Kristina Werner. I had thoughts of doing simple washes and just because it is nice if you have done a full WC card...

BTW-she just posted that people who want to do bigger envies really have to have the WRMK 1-2-3 because it has a swing arm and can accommodate it. (vs a regular envie punch board)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

So I don't have to worry about them curling if they are not in the pad form?

I have never had watercolor paper curl in those small sizes. For that matter, I have practice sheets that are 12 x 18 that haven't curled at all just leaning against the wall. WC paper seems to be stiff enough to support itself.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 03:35 AM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
I have never had watercolor paper curl in those small sizes. For that matter, I have practice sheets that are 12 x 18 that haven't curled at all just leaning against the wall. WC paper seems to be stiff enough to support itself.

Cool! Thanks!

The majority of it is 11 X 14 so I am just going to stick with that I guess and not cut it down. Maybe after I use up some of the pads so it would not be so many brands to keep track of, I could cut some down.

Organizing some days....you find things you forgot you had. Like a pad here and there and suddenly you have a pile. On the other it's cool. I wont be buying any WC paper for some time now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2019, 08:20 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Organizing some days....you find things you forgot you had. Like a pad here and there and suddenly you have a pile. On the other it's cool. I wont be buying any WC paper for some time now.

Isn't that the truth!!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 02:33 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My cousin is an artist and loves to supply my girls with amazing things like the HIGE Strathmore pads of watercolor paper. They (and other large pads of art paper) have lived happily in a number of places at my house at various times:
1) between the vanity and the shoe cabinet in the laundry room/half bath 2) between vertical tension rods I installed under the bottom shelf in the pantry. There were huge sketch pads, giant coloring books and the watercolor pads 3) between my two sets of plastic craft storage utility shelves, or between one of those shelves and the wall.

We live in Michigan, where it’s humid in the summer and desert in the winter. I haven’t had trouble with humidity bothering the w.c.p. (Or other art paper) here.

HOWEVER, if you only intend to use the paper for envelopes, I don’t see a reason why you shouldn’t cut it down. You could probably do fine cutting them down to 10x15 inches. Even if you didn’t use a punch board, that’s a big piece of paper for making an envelope. You should be able to envelope a good sized card with a 10x15” piece or wcp.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-13-2019, 05:14 AM   #13  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I have a few solutions for storing watercolor paper. I purchase paper in bulk 22"x30" sheets which a tear down to the size I want. The large pads are in a custom built wood box under my bed. I keep the paper in the bags it is shipped in so I don't have to worry about acid migrating from the box. I also have large blocks of paper which I store in a poster board display rack I purchased from Rite-Aid when it was going out of business. For smaller pads I store them on a bookshelf. I have a lot on hand because I teach classes and if I see a great sale on paper I like I stock up. I have not had any sizing go off in my paper storing this way.
Reply With Quote Likes