Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2019, 07:58 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Masculine cards for adults

Is it my lack of creativity or lack of products on the market? :confused:
(No offense taken if it's me.) Creating adult masculine cards is challenging for me.
I conducted a search for masculine themed products and my findings are few, especially embellishments. Am I looking in all the wrong places?

There is plenty to choose from for juvenile/teen boys, but not for "adult" men. Even the camping/hunting/fishing themes are bit too juvenile.
Yes, there are gears, clocks, vintage men, vintage travel, old vehicles, I have them and I've them over and over again.

I would like to see something new and more modern for the adult male.
What about you?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 09:37 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

I can’t really speak for embellishments as I find myself using less and less of them. For images, I find nature stuff often works well - birds, leaves, animals etc. Power Poppy has some nice natural world stuff that could work for masculine cards - I have their mushrooms set which is very versatile. They have a set that’s aimed at fathers’ day with hops and barley and a beer glass (there’s a digital of the hops and barley too).

Deep Red might be worth a look, I have their combat boots and Doc Marten shoes stamps as well as a rusty truck and VW camper. There are some animals you might be able to use too - I have a fun gorilla stamp from them.

Somewhere like Beeswax offers natural elements like leaves as well as a range of animals or birds. It’s not the friendliest site to navigate but there are some lovely stamps. I have their oak branch which I love as well as a sleeping tiger and an eagle head in profile.

Visible Image have stamps that are a bit different and might offer something you’d like - some are probably more “edgy teenager” but there are plenty that would work for men, too. They’re a UK outfit but I believe Simon Says stock them on your side of the Pond and maybe others too.

Hope you get more suggestions and find some things you like!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 12:10 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks, I'll check out those sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 03:41 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

For masculine cards I usually use patterned paper and a large Happy Birthday stamp or no stamp at all on the front if the paper can stand alone. I just finished using the rest of an 8x8 pad of Graphic 45 A Proper Gentleman, the paper was so wonderful it didn't need anything else. I use stripes, plaids, or distressed looking papers in muted colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 09:30 AM   #5  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I usually use common birthday icons (cake, candles, balloons, presents... if I'm giving a gift LOL). Another thing I do is use geometric shapes, either stamped and/or from patterned papers.

Color choice can affect the feel of the card too so I use darker colors but not so dark it feels dreary.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 12:43 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the ideas and links... I'm just having a brain farts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 02:32 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

I use a lot of Tim Holtz papers, stamps & embellishments for the cards I make for guys.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 01:06 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelnorthView Post
Power Poppy...have a set that’s aimed at fathers’ day with hops and barley and a beer glass (there’s a digital of the hops and barley too)

I’ve just seen that this is on sale this weekend - the digital is only a couple of dollars so if digital floats your boat that seems like a steal to me:here. The clear set (that has the image of the beer glass too) is also on sale: here

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 06:05 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Use fun techniques to make interesting backgrounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 06:20 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My go-to is geometric designs, for both men and women, whether die cut, stamped or both. Stripes cut from scraps, solid and/or patterned. Or blended or stenciled backgrounds. Just adhere sentiments.

Gina K’s wreath builder - which doesn’t have to be used for actual wreaths - works for graphic designs, since it’s a circle of small shapes or objects.
Googling “laurafadora triangle card” brings some of her geometric cards. Jennifer McGuire also has videos about striping. Obviously if geometries and shapes aren’t one’s thing, ignore these ideas. Just because I’m obsessed with shapes doesn’t mean others should be.

Trees and leaves are great for men and women too.

A short Laura Bassen video:

https://m.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2019, 07:15 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a grown son and son-in-law and 5 grandsons 22 to 14. I make Lots of cards for them. I would never buy stamps with Cars, Hunting, Fishing, Gears, Skiing, Baseball or any sports...Nothing aimed at "Men". My guys don't do any of that stuff. No carpentry or plumbing, No deers in the woods.
My attorney son goes to work, then watches TV and works on his computer. My SIL, business owner, does the same. My grandsons are all students.
I make cards with masculine patterned paper with tags or labels, maybe a leaf stuck on there. I use embossing folders for texture, and especially impressed one grandson by inking up an embossing folder which had evenly spaced, but rough (distressed) circles. He LOVED the texture. I have made cards with 'manly-colored' washi tape in stripes, or layed the washi on cardstock then die cut in various sizes of circles. I copied that from Debbie Hughes.

The only image stamp I have used on a card for them in a long time was an old House Mouse of a little wildly-dancing single mouse, with the SU stamp Yipee Skippy.
I haven't posted in my gallery for a LONG time because I can't get photos out of my phone and into my computer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 06:05 AM   #12  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've made a batch of clean and simple design cards using masculine and gender neutral paper, basic die shapes and little embellishments.In addition I'll use embossing folders for textured backgrounds on the next batch.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 09:28 AM   #13  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love making masculine cards and it seems starting with the right paper makes a difference along with fun materials like burlap, cork, or even thin wood. I really like Authentique papers and they have a couple of lines geared toward men. I tend toward enamel dots for embellishments in male cards, but don't think they need many embellishments at all. Unity Stamp Company has a lot of grown guy images including a bald one that are not cartoonish or juvenile. As a bonus they usually have lots of samples posted with each of their stamps for inspiration. You can look in their masculine category. I also like Northwoods for outdoor and wildlife. I even used a piece of an old shirt for a background in this card I did. https://cardadaychallenge.blogspot.c...y-37-2019
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 09:44 AM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Seems like a hand-crafted card is a waste of paper and stamps for many men - but vanity sells. I never conquered Photoshop, but for a few cards I have grabbed the scissors and snipped off the person's image from an old photo of the person, then plunked it on a stamp or with clip art; driving a golf cart, tractor, classic car, on a cruise ship, whatever. For a relative it might involve just using a baby picture or school photo.

Trump fans skip this part. For politically like-minded friends, I googled an image of President You Know Who in clown face and party hat, then combined it with some dies, stamps, and computer generated word strips.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Default masculine cards

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
Is it my lack of creativity or lack of products on the market? :confused:
(No offense taken if it's me.) Creating adult masculine cards is challenging for me.
I conducted a search for masculine themed products and my findings are few, especially embellishments. Am I looking in all the wrong places?

There is plenty to choose from for juvenile/teen boys, but not for "adult" men. Even the camping/hunting/fishing themes are bit too juvenile.
Yes, there are gears, clocks, vintage men, vintage travel, old vehicles, I have them and I've them over and over again.

I would like to see something new and more modern for the adult male.
What about you?
Hi, I saw your post and thought I might share a few masculine cards, Ive made many over the years. A lot are geared to DIY, Grill guys and shirts, tool boxes, paint can cards, pianos or music themes. I sent several urs if your interested. I'm know where near as good as so many of you but at 78 years young I enjoy the trying. Have a great crafting week. Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 10:13 AM   #16  
Cardstock Collector

I know the men in my life love the handcrafted card and appreciate it as much or more than some of the women. My son keeps all of my cards in a box and he is married with a family of his own.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 636 Likes on 362 Posts

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this one or not. I love it for adult male cards and have used them several times.

http://stampscapes.com/home
My Blog---My Gallery---My PinterestI'm a Punchkateer! (Prez) FOREVERDirty Dozen Alumni2014 CAS Spring DT--- Inspiration Challenge Co- Hostess 12/02/17-12/28/19 Watercolor Wednesday Design Team Hebrews 13:2 Brenda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used gear dies, clocks, etc. Elizabeth Craft Designs used to have 3 types of paper--wood, metal, and brick. She still has the metal and it's on sale for $1.95 a pack.

https://www.elizabethcraftdesigns.co...s/ttl001-metal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

You’d be surprised how many adult men still play video games. MFT has some great game controller dies and they are retro which would be nostalgic for anyone who played as a kid. I also like lighthouses and ocean landscapes for men. Stars are also a good choice. I think of them as the equivalent of flowers for women. But I usually turn to a cool and detailed sketch with lots of layers and a variety of patterned papers mixed with embossing folders. Or embossing paste through a stencil. Men like texture. I also use canvas, burlap, twine, felt, metal pieces (brads, eyelets, shaped paperclips), cork and real wood paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:48 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

For masculine cards I usually go for bold colours, often with black. I use geometric or abstract backgrounds and may add texture or metallic embossing. I also like funny cards. I most often make a background and just add a sentiment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:01 AM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I haven't posted in my gallery for a LONG time because I can't get photos out of my phone and into my computer!
I login and post directly from the phone and do blogs from the phone as it’s easier to get the photos inserted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:19 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This set, A Godly Man, has proven to be very popular for us:

http://stampsimply.com/shop/catalog/...tion=1&x=0&y=0

The Stamp Simply Ribbon Store/Stamp Simply Clear Stamps

MY BLOG -- No Time To Stamp?

This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 03:57 AM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to say leaves, too, but also feathers - either real, die-cut or stamped. Also scenery, either on land or water. But mostly non-specific - rows of cards in the stores with sports/gardening/cars/beer and if the male in question isn't into any of those, abstract is best.

Lynda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 04:22 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExperimentalView Post
I login and post directly from the phone and do blogs from the phone as it’s easier to get the photos inserted.

Yes, I've been reading up the thread and was going to say that it's perfectly easy to upload to the gallery from your phone. I do it regularly. If you need a couple of screenshots just ask. I use Android but I assume iOs is similar so long as the newer ones let you name your photos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 04:38 AM   #25  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I can't believe I forgot to mention a blog called The Male Room.

The Male Room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Didn't read all the posts, but wanted to jump in because I always tend to make masculine-looking cards, even when I'm not trying. I guess because I was a total Tom Boy growing up and liked what guys liked. I have lots of nature stamps---trees of every variety, leaves (in every season), suns, moons, stars, animals (not just ones that
hunted or fished but horses, and even birds like eagles and owls), weedy-like plants (think cattails, wheat, grasses), fruits (pears and grapes work well), speaking of grapes--wine glass/bottles and other things like beer mugs and mixed drinks, designs are a favorite of mine that can be combined, repeated or stand alone in masculine colors. Besides the typical male themes like cars, ships, trains, lighthouses (many of my women friends like lighthouses, too), there are windmills, barns, covered bridges, shells, feathers, musical instruments, and just a beautiful watercolored, textured or special background technique with a handsome greeting or sentiment. For embellishments there are brads and charms that can be found to go with many themes---leaves, anchors, steering wheels, wine glasses, nature pieces, those that look like nails or screws, etc. Instead of ribbon or lace try jute, cord, burlap, leather lacing or wire. Hope something here sparks an idea or two!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:52 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

OP: Just found the pictures of your recent guy cards---they are fantastic! Guess you didn't need my help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 08:51 AM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Male Cards

I struggle with masculine cards too. The ideas here are brilliant! I feel really inspired right now to make some while the ideas flow. Thanks to all for the great input of suggestions. Thanks Bohodiva for the question and the cards you just made and posted are perfect guy cards...great job!

Happy Card Making!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:10 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

I follow The Male Room Challenge and even occasionally enter it. But I always look at the Design Team samples and some of the entries as I get good ideas from those.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 01:57 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I follow The Male Room Challenge and even occasionally enter it. But I always look at the Design Team samples and some of the entries as I get good ideas from those.

You're cards are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:03 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenziView Post
Don't know if anyone has mentioned this one or not. I love it for adult male cards and have used them several times.

http://stampscapes.com/home.html

They've been around for a long, long time. I had a few of scene builder stamps .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

this is a card I made for a friend who turned 80...dinosaurs work great for young, but don't forget to use them for all of us old (I"m 70!) folks who feel like dinosaurs! hahahah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:15 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 456 Likes on 341 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BohodivaView Post
You're cards are beautiful!

Thank you so much! I took a look at your blog as I wasn't familiar with your cards - and got some great ideas from you for Hanukkah cards as I have a couple of friends who always ask me to make some for my Christmas card sale fundraiser. And I loved your one with the sentiment about tea and fuzzy sweaters - I love tea and I'm a knitter so that one really appealed to me!

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 03:23 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

For making cards for men, I've had a lot of success using postage stamps (from the US and internationally) together with rubber stamped images. There are so many cool stamps from foreign countries (racing cars, vintage cars, motor cycles, ships, airplanes, buses, sports & sports heroes--even American sports, fishing, etc.). I also find that science, engineering (great bridges), science fiction (Star Trek, Star Wars), and astronomy (NASA, solar system) postage stamps used with rubber stamps work great for men's cards. You can get foreign postage stamps very cheap on ebay and they are sold by subject (cars, sports, Star Trek, etc.)--called "topical stamps" by stamp collectors. When I use foreign stamps on cards, I try to find background papers and card stock that match 1 or 2 colors in the stamps (a good way to use the stash!). Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 03:34 PM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I use nature stamps such as trees, leaves etc as well as cars, bikes, hot air balloons etc. I also use character stamps such as Edwin, CC Designs male images.
I don't care if they look like kids. I enjoy colouring them!!!
I make cards I like for other people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #36  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Another vote for The Male Room for ideas. But there are several sites with the same name so if you lose the link above, just add 'card" at the end when you search.

Humor. Guys like a bit of snark.

There is an AI stamp of a guy in a recliner with the remote and chips crashed out that I used for Bdays w the saying "isnt it great to do nothing all day" or something close that any occupation will like...I cant find it right now. But they have a number of stamps for other things that will have a guy in a beach chair or somehow relaxing...I find many like the idea of doing nothing all day (other than watching tv)...

Or maybe work up a design based on their favorite show..ie just now in the Male room there were zombie cards.

Another vote for nature scenes or geometrics.

Oh-what about the optical illusion stencils? They dont cost much and create a cool look. Altenew has some. Here's one:

https://altenew.com/collections/sten...uilder-stencil

Last-interactives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:58 PM   #37  
Stampin' Fool

Your ideas are great! However I'm on a roll using up my paper pads. :-)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 06:56 AM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

Your cards are wonderful! A great job with your paper stash. Very manly and attractive. Any guy would be thrilled with all of your cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Bohodiva;21883858]Your ideas are great! However I'm on a roll using up my paper pads. :-)

[/QUOTE

These are great - and would work for women too, sometimes with a color change, but neutrals too. I have a friend who likes soft taupes, whites, etc., in art, clothing, interior decorating, etc., and especially the bottom right one has her name on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #40  
Stampin' Fool

Even though the styles are similar, I remind myself not everybody is getting the same card. I have too many paper pads sitting around needing some luv and attention so I'm putting them to work.
Reply With Quote Likes