Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-30-2019, 12:36 PM   #1  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with sticky stamps

Strange title? Strange problem. I have some stamps from Lavinia--whom I just love. (Also a set of stamps from Flonz, which I also love.) They have the same problem in common: They pull the paper up off the Misti pad so that no matter how I try i get a blurred double image about half the time if I have to restamp.

1. I've tried cleaning them with soap and water. Doesn't work.
2. I've tried rubbing them with an eraser. Also doesnt' work.
3. I've tried repeatedly inking them and stamping the image repeatedly, works for a while, but once the ink Ranger Archival, or Memento, dries on the stamp it goes right back to sticking and pulling the paper up
4. I've tried surrounding the stamp with magnets and sometimes this works and sometimes it doesn't.
5. It does it on almost any kind of paper I've tried. Cardstock, printer paper, alcohol ink.

Does anyone have any ideas? They are clear stamps, but seem to be a heaver acrylic than most of the ones I've got, which I'm pretty sure is part of the problem.

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 02:54 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If they’re quality stamps, they’re photopolymer rather than acrylic - and it’s completely normal for them to pull cardstock up from a stamp positioner. Many of mine do - in fact I just stamped an envelope with tiny alphabet stamps and even they pulled the envelope up.

To get crisp images and be able to double stamp, just position your cardstock snug into the corner. Or if you’re stamping off the edge of cardstock, you can use Misti Creative Corners or a small ruler or template you make from chipboard to create a corner or space where you want it.

I forget to use magnets a lot, and double or even triple stamping works well as long as the cardstock is positioned correctly. I hope this makes sense, and if not, I’m sure people could find a video on a blog or youtube so you can see it in action.

ETA Bar magnets are much stronger than the little round ones, and that can help too.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 10-30-2019 at 03:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I haven't tried either of these brands but If you have the cardstock snug in the corner to start with you should be able to place it right back in for a good 2nd impression.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #4  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you. I can usually re-stamp it but sometimes it still move the paper. I have the corners and will try them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 08:53 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaFromIndiana2View Post
Thank you. I can usually re-stamp it but sometimes it still move the paper. I have the corners and will try them!

Yes, the paper moving is normal. Just put it tightly into the corner of the Misti. You don’t need to use the Creative Corners for regular stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a set from MFT that I've had for years and used A LOT and to this day when I ink it up, it sticks to the paper and won't come off. I've tried everything. I think sometimes there's no getting around it. Jennifer McGuire uses a dry cloth to wipe hers with before stamping but all the towels I have leave lint - even the ones that aren't supposed to! haha! I've used the palms of my hand to rub some of my solid stamps and that tends to help a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 07:04 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think both of those companies use silicone instead of photo-polymer and sadly that's just the nature of it, it's much more sticky. For silicone stamps I'll take an emery board or light grid sandpaper and rough them up just a bit, it usually helps.

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 07:34 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I have many Lavinia stamps, and yes, they do lift the paper, it's not just you! Some people- including I think Jennifer MacGuire ,- have been recommending using the Sizzix Sticky Sheets to hold cardstock in place in stamping platforms, they say it works way better than magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
The following 2 users liked this post by shazsilverwolf:
from the heart (07-07-2021), gobarb26 (07-14-2021)
Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

here is a vid on using them in the misti from hedgehog hollow. I could see getting a separate cushion and having it on there permanently with the backing paper till I use it.

here is tim holtz talking about using them with stencils (you also see him using one of the shifter stencils that I think are cool) he is using the smaller one whereas up there ^^ uses the full size one. This was why I wanted them. But now...

Of course neither of these are the original purpose which was to stick them to a die cutting plate and then stick letter dies on it so they are straight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have this problem with sticky clear stamps in my positioner. I've tried some of the suggestions, like roughing them up, but it hasn't helped a lot. I try to place the paper back in the same position, again using the suggestions, but still often get the double stamped image (yes, I am challenged). What works for me is to use a small, thin metal ruler to slide in between the door of the positioner and the paper after I stamp and before I pull up on the door to hold the paper down. Hope that makes sense and might work for you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 09:31 AM   #11  
Cardstock Collector

Thank you! I've never been able to figure out how to get those stamps to work without a struggle. They are better now, and I'm going to have to try the sticky grid paper.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have used the sticky grid paper and it works, but eventually loses some of the stickiness. I need to replace the one I have in my positioner now.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 10:08 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I use a “used” circuit mat cut to fit in my Misti. It works better the. The sticky grid IMHO and also is easier to replace. You can get 4 “Misti mats” from one circuit mat. Used ones work better then new ones. If getting a new one, be sure to get the light tack kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 249 Likes on 162 Posts

. . . and here I thought I was the only one with clear stamps that lifted the card stock in my positioner . . . I have even tried taping down all sides of the card with masking tape and sometimes I STILL get lifting . . .arg . . . THAT's how sticky they are. I have messed up a lot of almost completed cards because of this problem.

I'm not a Hoarder . . . I'm the Curator of an extensive collection of embellishments!!

Proud Fan Club Member
Guest Designer Color Challenge July 2017
Favorites Notification Team

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 10:45 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

Ditto what she said above!

I have a set of Art Impressions (and that brand doesn't usually do this to me) that are just tremendously sticky. I also have tried almost everything, except my last resort- Avon Skin So Soft. That takes gunk off anything, so I plan to try it on the stamps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2019, 02:52 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I have many Lavinia stamps, and yes, they do lift the paper, it's not just you! Some people- including I think Jennifer MacGuire ,- have been recommending using the Sizzix Sticky Sheets to hold cardstock in place in stamping platforms, they say it works way better than magnets.

It totally does – unless you have a lot of pets and pet hair flying around, which seems to make a beeline to that sheet in less than 36 hours. :mad: Still works much better than magnets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:15 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen Jennifer MacGuire use a tiny bit of adhesive on the back of her cardstock to hold it in place in the Misti, and I've done that a time or two as well. It helps with those sticky stamps - keeps everything in place on the mat. I've had "some" luck with my Lavinia stamps by using my thumbs to rub on the stamp - something about the oil on my fingers conditions the stamp enough both to hold the ink on nicely as well as keep them from totally pulling up the cardstock. Your mileage may vary on this, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:15 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 253 Likes on 137 Posts

This is exactly why I stick with rubber stamps on wood blocks. I know the advantages of stamping when you can see where the stamp is and re-stamping if the image is not right, but rubber stamps on wood blocks can be put in a stamp positioner on those occasions when they do not stamp completely or need to be lined up perfectly. One less tool and fewer stamps to even consider. I'm doing just fine the old fashioned way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:22 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 497 Likes on 275 Posts

I used to be a diehard wood block girl, but then I got the Tim Holtz platform. While I still love my wood block stamps, I have to say the platform is good for some things. I had a ridiculously pricey stamp that NEVER stamped a complete image- took it off the block, gave it a cling backing, and now I get a good impression every time. On the other hand, I have a lot of the old old SU pads, and they are a *itch to use with the platform, so there are pros & cons.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

If the CS is snugged into the corner, then since the CS can be put back in the same place for re-stamping, it doesn’t matter if the paper is lifted up - other than it being an annoyance for some stampers.

There are lots of videos with professional cardmakers showing it, sometimes not using magnets (like Justine Hovey), just plopping the CS back in the corner (or Creative Corner or homemade chipboard template if wanting to stamp off the paper). Just figure it’s par for the course and isn’t an issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 10:22 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

I can't remember which video it was, but the person recommended stamping in Stazon for the first stamping on clear stamps. I think they were using the stamps that come as freebies with a magazine. Yes, it permanently stains the stamps, but I would think that would make them less sticky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

My good friend who is a master at using her Misti suggests, "If they ink the acrylic stamp generously first with Versamark, then with the ink they want to stamp with, it will stamp and not stick to the paper!"
Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
gobarb26 (07-14-2021)
Old 11-06-2019, 03:30 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe try the Sizzix sticky sheets to hold your cardstock down. My friend tried it with the Lavinia stamps and says they work a treat now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Default How Is This Possible?

HOW do you use rubber stamps on blocks to restamp an image?? I'dreally like to know!
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
This is exactly why I stick with rubber stamps on wood blocks. I know the advantages of stamping when you can see where the stamp is and re-stamping if the image is not right, but rubber stamps on wood blocks can be put in a stamp positioner on those occasions when they do not stamp completely or need to be lined up perfectly. One less tool and fewer stamps to even consider. I'm doing just fine the old fashioned way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Patinky (07-07-2021)
Old 07-06-2021, 04:51 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I wipe my clear stamps with my microfiber cloth each time before stamping. It doesn't stick as much that way.

The other option...scratch paper. Ink the stamp and stamp on scratch paper. One time is all you really need. Then put your "good" paper in the MISTI and ink the stamp and stamp. The ink is a barrier to the stamp sticking to the paper.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2021, 05:02 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi-GAView Post
HOW do you use rubber stamps on blocks to restamp an image?? I'dreally like to know!
Back in the day, there was the Stamp a majig. I don’t think I ever mastered it, but it had a clear plastic piece that you stamped your image on, with a corner to line up the wood block. Maybe that’s what she’s talking about.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2021, 06:22 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigi-GAView Post
Yes, the previous poster is correct. I use a stamp positioner (not the brand name Stamp-a-ma-gig, necessarily, as mine is a different style) which is basically the same idea. The tool is a wooden corner (mine has a set of 3 and comes with a grid base) that a piece of acrylic can be slid up against as if it were a piece of cardstock. The inked stamp is pressed against the corner and stamped onto the acrylic just as it would be for stamping onto card stock. That means the acrylic now has the image stamped on it exactly where it will stamp on cardstock when used with the corner piece. Since the acrylic is see through, it can be placed exactly where it is desired on the cardstock. It can be turned, moved and arranged until it is correct. The the corner piece is replaced up against the acrylic piece and the corner piece held firmly, while the acrylic is moved away. The image can be stamped onto the cardstock in that spot by sliding it down as was done at the beginning. It can be restamped as often as desired. This process can also be used after just general stamping that didn't stamp as completely, bylining up the image on the plastic with the incomplete stamping and going through the process. I also use this for greeting stamps that are not arranged the way I need them to be. I can make a greeting that is one word above another be all on one line with a marker coloring on the stamp one at a time using the positioner for each. My positioner has a hinged acrylic lid, as well, so can be used with unmounted and clear stamps just like a Misti, so I have the best of both worlds, even though I have no unmounted stamps. Hope that makes sense to you. It really is a much easier process than it sounds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-06-2021, 07:54 AM   #28  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I have a tutorial for using wood stamps in the MISTI - you just need some duplo blocks, or something to extend the angle of the corner upward.

Wood Mounts In The MISTI Tutorials at Splitcoaststampers

Back to the OP - the Lavinia stamps and other clear stamps I have from the UK are not acrylic or silicone, they are photopolymer but they're 'different' than the US photopolymer... it's hard to describe. The base material feels thicker and almost a little bit gritty.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
The following 3 users liked this post by dini:
harvestmoon (09-19-2021), ozarkstamper (07-07-2021), Valeriesc (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Default Help with Sticky Stamps and Misti.

First thing isi always ink my stamps and stamp on scrap paper the first time (actually I catalogue them). This help decrease some of the “newness”. I make sure the paper is where I want it. Corner works best. I use my ATG to glue down the center of the back of my paper. I use the MISTI bar magnet and two corner magnets. When I go to list the lid I slide a metal palette knife under the lid and again the paper to hold it as I pull up the lid.

I know this sounds like a lot of work but I’m so in the habit of doing this it takes me no time at all. And saves on a lot of frustration.
Reply With Quote Likes
fionna51 (07-07-2021)
Old 08-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

The EASIEST way to DE-STICKY a stamp is to take the etched part (the stamp itself, not the smooth back side) and tap it all over the inside of your bare arm. Tap tap tap tap tap.

It can be put on a block first to make it easier to tap it around the inside of your arm--from the elbow to the wrist.

I learned this at an Album Retreat way back in 2013!!
Reply With Quote Likes