Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-22-2019, 06:49 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts
Default a Stamping Basics kit....?

Help out a site visitor with your input!

"What are the basic tools and equipment needed to start making cards?"
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 07:45 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,378 Likes on 513 Posts

I'd say to first think about the kinds of cards they are most likely to make. That will guide the stamp set or two they choose. Then I'd say these are what I find to be basic tools:
  • cardstock - black and white for sure, plus one pack that has a variety of colors that work well together
  • stamp set that has versatile images
  • stamp set that has versatile sentiments if none or not enough are included in the image set
  • scissors
  • paper trimmer
  • liquid glue
  • black ink pad
  • 2 or 3 ink pads in colors that go with the cardstock you have
A person can be very creative with just those supplies, especially with the plethora of ideas on here. Backgrounds can be made with stamps; paper can be torn, curled, crumpled, and distressed to get different looks; simple techniques like Rock 'N Roll can be done, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:14 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,713 Likes on 1,838 Posts

To Nicole's list, I would add a bone folder and acrylic blocks if using cling or clear stamps, or a stamp positioner.
Featured Stamper #671
Love sending BRAK cards.
Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Virtual Stamp Night April 19 - 20 Come Join in the Fun Here

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I remember going to Michaels every week with my coupon and buying one item when I first started stamping. Try to be patient and realize that it takes a long time to build up your supplies. I even made myself a stamp positioner from my kid’s Lego blocks. However I became a much better stamper when I purchased the MISTI. Thousands of dollars later I have a very nice little IKEA craft room with a ton or supplies. It just took about ten or fifteen years of online shopping. Patience.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 10:18 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I would add a set of watercolor markers - with them, you are able to color images, scribble on plastic and use them like watercolors and you can use them to ink your stamps in color. I would say you also need a fine black waterproof marker (I really like my Sakura Pigma markers).

A scoreboard is nice. Not necessary - but nice to have, and you can get them for a reasonable price with a coupon at the big box stores. Also nice but not necessary is some sort of foam tape or pop dots to give just a bit of dimension.

You can do quite a lot with digital images and sentiments as well, if you have a printer. Some inkjet inks smear if you use watercolor or markers; pick up a can of workable fixative and spray your computer images with that first and you can keep the ink from running. That will help with not needing to buy lots of stamps to start out, until you find your style.

What I wish I hadn't gotten caught up in buying - bulk packs of patterned paper and new tools that really only had one purpose - thought I had to have them and then didn't use them much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 11:12 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Black ink for the coloring medium you will be using. Memento- Alcohol Ink, Versafine- Colored Pencils, Ranger Archival- Watercolors as examples.

A stamp positioner tool. Make your own until you can afford to buy one of your choosing, if the positioner is a bit out of your budget range. I know most say buy acrylic blocks but if I was a newbie I would get a stamp positioner because it prevents so many of the mistakes stamper's make- not inked enough, shimming, blurring, etc... It's not that much more than a set of acrylic blocks.

Canson Comic Manga Sketch Book- You can use inks, pencils, marker's.
If you want to do watercolors look for a good mixed media pad. You can get nice ones for around $5 like Canson & Strathmore.

Microtip Scissors to fussy cut
Craft Knife, Cutting Mat, & Metal Ruler. If that seems scary then a paper trimmer.

Glue Stick
Aleene's Glue
Double Sided Tape
Foam Tape
Glue Dots
All the adhesives I listed you can get at Dollar Tree and they are excellent quality.

Dollar Tree Shammy to clean your stamps.

I don't know if it's a need but as a newbie it was one of my best purchases was my corner rounder. You can find them on Ebay for $1.

If you want to stamp in color I love brush markers. You can even stamp with Crayola markers until you can buy your choice colored inks. Crayola & Brush Markers can act as double duty to be used as watercolors. Use Cbet's method of scribbling on plastic.

I am giving a vote to Cbet's advice of doing digital. It is very frugal and you can find the most beautiful elegant images. You don't have to do free there are affordable images on Etsy and also there are some really talented digi stamp designers. Don't forget to take a look at the digital coloring book artists.

If I had to do it over again I would go digital first then add stamps as an embellishment. I would get a stamp positioner or make one before buying blocks.

Last but not least the most fun in stamping is embellishments. Don't get caught up in the trend hype of embellishments. Collect what you love and have your little magpie treasure nest full of things that make you smile. If you do that then your card will really shine with your love and personality. I can always telll a card that was forced embellishment made to one that was made with embellishment love.

If our new girl/guy could tell us what kind of stamping they would love to do we can tailor their new toolkit even more and make it super affordable.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 04:18 AM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All the suggestions are great. I would add a bone fokder (the ones with most scoreboard aren't quite good enough, imo). Preferably Teflon but that can be a future upgrade.

I also love working on grid paper. It helps with alignment and inky messes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 08:34 AM   #8  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say a Misty. Love that product
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 10:35 AM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd recommend some SPECIFIC scissors - Tim Holtz Non-Stick Micro Serrated Mini Snips 5" They cut multiple materials - paper, ribbon and adhesives without dulling. Also - the Zig Detailer Watercolor Brush; works with any water soluble medium for coloring without taking up desk space. Enjoy yourself!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 01:45 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Number one:
There is TON of choices here-many types of things to do-stamping, coloring, watercoloring, stencils, embossing, die cutting, etc etc. Pick ONE to start with or you will get overwhelmed. Been there, done that, as most people have. Dont panic...we are here for you. You can come and ask for help.

Two: One way to figure that out: Spend 10 bucks and get the HUGE collection of technique classes by Justine Hovey. Unbelievable bargain. Around here a class is 30-45 for regular stuff/one technique and over 100 for a day long multi media thing. You are going to get a ton of stuff that you can store and keep going back to as well as the samples you make for yourself.

But more importantly-you will get an overview of all the things one can play with and do-- and see which ones "talk" to you most. So before you buy anything...then pick one of those.

Having said that, there are some universal basic supplies and most have been noted above.

1) 110lb white CS. You will hear about Neenah all over the place. You dont have to invest in whole reams right away. There are places that sell small packs.

Solar White Heavyweight 110 lb - 25 pk, Neenah Classic Crest Cardstock - Ellen Hutson LLC

2) Basic tools no matter what you do:
a) Scissors-basic regular size and then a pair for fussy cutting. Cutterbees are popular but honestly-I just used whatever small nosed scissors I had around for years. Trimmer-I will leave to others.

b) Adhesive-Double sided tape, tombo multi green, ranger multi medium. Aileens is good too.

c) Bone folder and score board-I do think both are needed.

d) Work surface. From day one I have used this:
Ranger non stick teflon sheet and this is a crazy cheap price:

Inkssentials 15''X18'' Craft Sheet | JOANN

It can get wet, take a heat gun, etc. You can mix paint/ink on it and wipe it off.

Down the road you can decide if you want a glass surface thing, a cutting mat, etc.

So now you have a card base, you can cut, glue, fold and a safe surface to work on. This is where I say start watching Justine.

We can go from whatever thing you want to try when you are ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I would recommend the MISTI, it will pay for itself in no time, from all the mistakes you WONT make. Arteza for coloring mediums, if your just starting out, they are budget friendly and the quality is good. Good paper! Bristol smooth or Neenah, (Bristol blends better and can be used with water). A good paper trimmer. Teflon bone folder, it wont leave snail trails. I prefer Nuvo Deluxe adhesive for liquid glue, you can make the tiniest drops with it. Kokuyo for a tape runner. Brother Scan&Cut for cutting out stamped images, this will save you a ton in buying coordinating dies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 04:36 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Favorite Color Approach

I took a different startup approach. My favorite color was blue, and I knew I'd want to make a lot of blue cards. So I started with a couple blue ink pads that would work together and coordinating (plain, not patterned) blue card stock. Add white paper, black ink, and a few all-purpose stamps: leaves, flowers, butterflies, etc. that can be used on all different types of cards. If you already have a printer, you have versatility for all your text needs.

If you're on a very tight budget, look for items you already have around before you buy specialty items. Cheap double-stick tape, a plain old scissors, food coloring, aluminum foil, colored markers, cloth or shelf paper remnants, Elmer's glue, cotton balls or sponges, nail polish - the possibilities are endless if you're willing to experiment. Over time you can decide which of the cheapo alternatives cause you the most trouble and replace them with the good stuff. Plain paper is no substitute for card stock, though.

But the single best "resource" for a newby card-maker is a local group of stamping friends. Find them via a stamping store, or Craigslist, or a stamping "home party," or a bulletin board notice, or however you can. I've found fellow stampers to be amazingly generous in sharing tips, tools, and supplies. By seeing and trying what other people use, you can make better decisions about your own preferences.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

So many great recommendations. Visit thrift stores, you will be amazed at what you find. I've seen lots of stamps, Prismacolor colored pencils, waterbased markers, dies, cardstock, embellishments, ink pads, watercolor paints, acrylic paints, decorative scissors, ribbons, and much more! Many items are unused. What you find varies with each visit so patience is needed along with a healthy does of self restraint!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I would say a die cutting machine and a misti would be my first two big ticket items.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 10:26 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampincatladyView Post
If you're on a very tight budget, look for items you already have around before you buy specialty items. Cheap double-stick tape, a plain old scissors, food coloring, aluminum foil, colored markers, cloth or shelf paper remnants, Elmer's glue, cotton balls or sponges, nail polish - the possibilities are endless if you're willing to experiment. Over time you can decide which of the cheapo alternatives cause you the most trouble and replace them with the good stuff. Plain paper is no substitute for card stock, though.
I love this advice so much. This is what stamping was like in days of yore. The cards back then were mini works of art. No insult to modern day card making. Modern day cardmaking is beautiful but it can be really overwhelming to newbies and even experienced cardmakers. Those of us who started before the Internet we had stamps and magpie full of frugal objects to work with and nothing to distract us.

I am blessed to have some nice tools but I still rely on my ol cheapo's for most of my creations. If something happened those cheapo's would be the first replacement, not because of the price but because they are my useful tools.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

All a beginning stamper really needs is:

1 Stamps and a way to mount them if unmounted are used
2 Cardstock not printer paper, something apx. 120lb. You will develop preferences eventually but don't pressure yourself in the beginning
3 A black ink pad- color is nice but so much can be done with just black.
4 A coloring medium of choice: pencils, markers, an inexpensive watercolor set, etc.
5 an old shoe box to store your new treasures in, again you can get fancy later.
6 decent lighting and lastly but certainly not least
7 Passion, patience & a desire to learn: these things are in my opinion the most important "tools" you can have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 07:28 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

My list would be similar to Stampin’ Stacy’s. I’d include small “fussy cut” scissors, a paper trimmer (probably Fiskars), dry and wet adhesive, an inexpensive set of acrylic blocks (check Amazon for Fiskars) and maybe a scoreboard.

Good quality cardstock makes a big difference in the finished product. But I test colors/ideas on cheap cardstock or even copy paper.

Beyond that it depends; it’s not one size fits all. I never thought I’d like die cutting and it’s a fave. But I’d find another hobby if I had to frequently color detailed images. Some make exquisite cards with more embellishments on one card than I’d use in 50. I only use the computer/Word for an occasional quote; others love digital images. There’s no one way; it’s a journey.

The first local stamp shop (LSS) I visited offered a 4-part technique class. Another had a class on inking and papers. No supplies were needed so they were terrific investments for honing in on what we liked. Some LSS owners will be glad to help one on one.

Free on-line videos on basic stamping and techniques can help. Google “basic stamping” or the same on youtube (and note the dates). For some classes - live or on-line - you already need a bunch of supplies.
Reply With Quote Likes