Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-24-2019, 11:56 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts
Default 8.5x11 Paper Trimmer Recommendations

I need a good recommendation for 8.5x11 paper trimmer. I cut a lot of magazine pages with my trimmer so I would prefer rotary. I do need it to cut at 11 inches lengthwise since it will be primarily used for magazines.

The 12x12 trimmers are just too cumbersome for me now.

I promise I did search for one. I have been under so much stress lately I know I probably missed listings. I haven't been able to find anything. Maybe, it's a rarity.

Any help would be appreciated. Alternative cutting methods for magazines are welcome too- rotary cutter/quilting ruler etc. I am open for those type of ruler recommendations. I do collage art so this is becoming a need.

Last edited by lylacfey; 10-25-2019 at 12:00 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2019, 04:11 AM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Dee Ann, suggestions are going on the assumption you’re not wanting to insert an entire magazine into the trimmer. If you are, these won’t do the trick.

Maybe check out the new Crafters Companion trimmer. It has some unique features - for example, two small “sight line” pieces at the top and bottom that can be slid to show exactly where the blade will cut. It’s handy for capturing specific parts of a page or sheet or fussy alignment.

It’s rotary yet has measurements to the right of the blade, very unusual. And while it accommodates 12x12 paper, it’s portable with an arm that pulls out and rests on a piece to stabilize it. A variety of blades are available, including deckle, scoring and wavy.

My old Fiskars never lets me down and I get great cuts but some don’t like the wire.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There's a version with the stability of an aluminum cut rail others like.

To accommodate 11” paper the trimmer would be for 12x12 paper but by going portable there wouldn’t be the bulk like for my go-to trimmer that cuts lots of cardstock at once, a Carl. It can cut about 35 sheets of copy paper at one time.

It’s tough not being able to try them out first, right? Good luck!

https://m.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-25-2019 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2019, 04:25 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

And if you’re just looking to remove pages, a cork-backed metal ruler and Exacto work well. I had t cut fairly thick plastic sheets called Mighty Board to create large house paint samples and that did the trick. I’ve not had good luck with hand-held rotaries, but it may just take practice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

My old Fiskars never lets me down and I get great cuts but some don’t like the wire.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 There's a version with the stability of an aluminum cut rail others like.
I recently purchased this Fiskars cutter with the wire, and love it. Never figured out why the wire, but it doesn't seem to get in the way of my cutting. I have the WRMK Score and Trim board, but it goes though blades too fast. I have to replace that darn blade nearly every other month... whereas my old Fiskars lasted a very long time, and so far I haven't had to replace the blade in the new one with the wire in it. I think I bought it over 6 months ago. Stampin' Up is coming out with a new trimmer, and so far only demonstrators have been able to purchase it. I had planned on getting one, but since it was taking so long for them to get it on the market I just purchased the Fiskars at Walmart. Love it !:-D
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2019, 09:36 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I only want to cut individual pages of my magazines after I pull them out.

Definitely rotary.

Can you all recommend a good quilting ruler that does not slide?

I have steady hands & I can cut with a rotary cutter (quilting) just fine. I have a sucky quilting ruler that slides. I know this is an accident waiting to happen.

Thank you all for the recommendations.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2019, 10:29 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

You can get extremely thin ruler grips to stick on the underside it won’t slip.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2019, 05:41 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I managed to find an 18 inch metal ruler with cork backing years ago that I love. It has been too many years now to remember where I got it but if I were to hazard a guess I would say it probably came from an office or quilting supply store rather than a craft store.

As far as an actual paper trimmer/cutter I can't recommend as I still have the Carl which I like but don't love. I have to be very careful lining up or I get crooked cuts and the cutting mat strips seem to be made of a lesser quality material these days. I just got a new one earlier this year and am already getting ragged cuts, I used to be able to get several years use before flipping over and/or replacing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2019, 06:03 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I would have made the same suggestion for ruler grips but just keep in mind you will have to lift up and put down the ruler-if you drag it on thin paper like magazine-you may well crunch it up or tear it. It sticks that well. On heavy CS it just would not glide if you tried. Or it might and leave a mark.

ie I am holding the mag sheet with my left hand and tried sliding the gripped ruler with my right-I have torn paper.

Another choice is just a metal ruler with a cork back which is what I have-MANY years old and still works fine. same deal with tearing.

As for cutters...I think in terms of height and width (which may not be right) but I am going with your lengthwise is my height since you said 11 inches and mag orientations.

There is a whole category of trimmers that do that height but are not 12 inches wide like the one Beth showed you up there. They often will have a swing arm so you could extend to 12 x 12 if you want for width.

And a running discussion here across many threads about those because I know I have been through several of them and they don't cut straight for ME-others are fine with them. (btw the wire is a guide to show you where the blade is going)

Here is one but if you search on paper trimmers you will see a bunch of them. Each can have their own pearls of wisdom. HTH

Paper Cutters - Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2019, 08:00 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
I managed to find an 18 inch metal ruler with cork backing years ago that I love. It has been too many years now to remember where I got it but if I were to hazard a guess I would say it probably came from an office or quilting supply store rather than a craft store.

As far as an actual paper trimmer/cutter I can't recommend as I still have the Carl which I like but don't love. I have to be very careful lining up or I get crooked cuts and the cutting mat strips seem to be made of a lesser quality material these days. I just got a new one earlier this year and am already getting ragged cuts, I used to be able to get several years use before flipping over and/or replacing.

After so many years, is there a chance it’s the blade rather than the mat strip? They’re inexpensive, and sold on Amazon too. The bottom of the page on the Carl site has a photo and link to accessories: Paper Trimmers and Hole Punches for Home and Office CARL Manufacturing (Mine has an extra blade in the compartment.)

Their FAQ contains info about paper tearing. But it might be worth calling them? Frequently Asked Questions CARL Manufacturing

And you probably know the trick about lowering the “clamp” to hold the paper to be able to adjust it before clamping it down all the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2019, 08:08 AM   #10  
Gallery Gazer

I already mentioned a metal ruler with a cork backing, and Waverunner had a good point about the ruler grips. The type I linked to don’t grab enough to be a problem on copy paper or cardstock, but I haven’t tried it with lightweight magazine paper - so can check later today.

If you’re focusing on a quilting ruler in order to make 90 degree angle cuts, a cork backed T-ruler could help do the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Fairgate-Comp.../dp/B00Q1RCPQ8
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2019, 05:54 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Thanks bjeans but blade is new too, My very first paper trim using the new "mat" left cut marks this time around. After less than a year it looks like it has been used a zillion times which it hasn't. Maybe it is an Amazon supplier issue but Carl does not seem to carry them in the size I need anymore so they are pretty much my only option.... and yes I vary where I make my cuts so they aren't always in the same spot.

I will say that I would love to have the fold out arm on my trimmer, it would make life so much easier. I'll be keeping that in mind when I decide to get a different trimmer.

Forgot to mention, as far as hand held rotary cutters, I'd suggest small blade for easier maneuverability and make sure it is a brand for which replacement blades are easily found.

I have learned my lesson about availability, more than once
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-27-2019, 06:09 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Stacy, your Carl doesn’t have a large bed? Maybe we’re talking about two different types. This is the one I have in the 12” version.

Carl has instructions for blade adjustments, so giving them call might help if the too brief instructions aren’t helpful. And they sell blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2019, 06:09 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Yes and no. This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Carl-RT-215-P...oducts&sr=1-29

The cutting area is 1 1/2 in wide so if I need to make a cut on a narrow strip there is no way to do so. It is under the locking arm so can't be seen and then has to fished out from under that arm after the cut has been made.

...anyway, didn't mean to hijack thread,

Lylacfey, I'm sure you'll figure out what you need.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-28-2019, 06:13 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin stacyView Post
Yes and no. This is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/Carl-RT-215-P...oducts&sr=1-29

The cutting area is 1 1/2 in wide so if I need to make a cut on a narrow strip there is no way to do so. It is under the locking arm so can't be seen and then has to fished out from under that arm after the cut has been made.

...anyway, didn't mean to hijack thread,

Lylacfey, I'm sure you'll figure out what you need.

Yeah, the one feature of rotary cutters that’s not wonderful. I use a piece of cardstock to push narrow pieces through, but more often use another trimmer for those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 01:24 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac4551View Post
Never figured out why the wire, but it doesn't seem to get in the way of my cutting.
It's to show you where the actual cut will be, I like mine as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Stacy, your Carl doesn’t have a large bed? Maybe we’re talking about two different types. This is the one I have in the 12” version.

Carl has instructions for blade adjustments, so giving them call might help if the too brief instructions aren’t helpful. And they sell blades.
I have this one too, I call him Big Carl, lol. I've had it for over 20 years and have not even changed the blade or mat. I love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 03:00 PM   #17  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG! Just used the Creative Memories trimmer last weekend at a scrap and can't wait for Christmas as I put it on my list immediately. If you watch the video that Bjeans posted, you will see the feature that really stands out for me. That is the guideline attached to the blade housing itself for the vertical up and down cut - and also on the side of the housing so you know exactly where your blade will begin to cut. I used regular cardstock and it was the smoothest cut ever! Like most of us who have been trimming for a long time, I have multiple trimmers over the years. This one I am sure will be my most favorite ever!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #18  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Creative Memories trimmer was highly recommended on another forum I belong to. I tried it at a stamp convention and loved it! The only reason it didn't come home with me is I answered a text from my niece. She has a chronic illness and needed financial help.

The trimmer will be at the top of the wish list being prepared for hubby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #19  
Glitter Queen

I also do Stampin Up and they are coming out with a new trimmer - date unknown! Anxious to see it, but I can't imagine anything better than the CM trimmer. Glad you were able to try it. So you know what I'm talking about! It is truly the bomb!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you bjeans. Those ruler grips look promising. I am definitely keeping wavejumper's warning about them in mind too. I do love the idea of the non skid grips. I think that is exactly what I need. Thank you very much. I think that will be the winner.

My DH is a quilter. He has nice rulers. I have one of his rulers that is really nice. He's cutting material and I am cutting paper. My ruler keeps sliding. I keep thinking of all those quilting ruler horror stories I have heard over the years. I don't want one. I am really good with mine but with age my hands are starting to have some issues. I want to be safe than sorry.

Stacy- Don't feel bad about your trimmers. I think all trimmers have drama's. They are really annoying drama's. Got the small handheld rotary cutter covered. I got a cute Fiskar's one I love. It is really steady. I am so happy with it.

I agree about availability. My classic tools better have long lasting supplies I can get from different sources. There is nothing worse finding a tool you love and get attached too only to find you can't use it anymore because it's replacements are gone. That's why I stay with simple classic tools and buy my trendy tools on clearance. My trendy tools I know if I can't get parts least I had fun while I had them.

You didn't hijack the thread at all. I need what you need.

I need a trimmer I can make narrow strips. I don't need one to measure.

What I am doing is after I pull out the pages of my magazine. If I want to keep the full page I like to neaten the edge. I am cutting off 1/8" at the most on these edges.

Rotary does the perfect job. Sliding trimmers just rip the edges and guillotine does that weird slice thing. They have a term but my brain tonight is who cares, lol. You know those days, lol. Or massive hormonal brain fog, ROFL. The rotary trimmers that are 12x12 are just overkill.

Grump whiny moment (let me have it) I am really grumpy that our industry keeps making scrapbook type tools that start at 12x12. Don't yell at me I use to be a scrapbooker. I understand why this is needed more than I could convey. I only made one 12x12 scrapbook ever in all my scrapbooking years. I always make or made 8.5x11. There is this huge group of us who are what I like to call the "notebook paper size" scrapbookers. We just need a simple 8.5x11 trimmer for our needs. We are working on that size because we like how small it is and want our tools compact that don't take up a lot of space. With the surge in all types of paper crafting from art journalers to coloring book artists I am just so surprised how hard it is to find a nice magazine size paper trimmer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 05:11 AM   #21  
Mad Swapper

Just did a search at Amazon: safety ruler for cutting and it pulled up lots of options. The two most promising ones I saw were either a triangular shaped one or one that is flat but has a flip up guard for fingers, both came in metal for durability.

... you just need to get DH to convince you it's okay to spend the $ for one ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 07:20 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

I just tried the ruler with grips on a catalog with thin paper. No need to worry about gripping the paper too much. The grips just make the ruler a little less slippery. It's easy to move. I cut a couple pages out using an Exacto and ripped a couple pages out and evened out the raw edge.

There are a number of small trimmers. I have this one that I occasionally take to classes:
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureCut-Paper-Trimmer-154460-1007/dp/B003WASFMU/ref=sr_1_30?keywords=fiskars+trimmer&qid=1572534196&sr=8-30

And there are many that are narrow; the arm doesn't need to be pulled out. Like:
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-SureC...2534741&sr=8-5

And some don't have arms:
https://www.amazon.com/WORKLION-Port...534822&sr=8-10

The difference between 11.5 and 12" (scrapbook paper) is only a half an inch, so it's just the horizontal measurement that would be substantially shrunk. And many are out there. That said, if you don't like that type of trimmer, none of those will work for you.

Here's a portable rotary which I've never seen:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Ro...-/183832960132
ETA: The link won't work. You can search on ebay for: Portable Rotary Paper Trimmer 12" 28mm 078484099087
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Thank you so much everyone for the help. I think the winner for me is going to be the ruler grips.

Thank you so much bjeans for testing them out on catalog paper.

I keep thinking about a trimmer. I am so frustrated with trimmer drama's. All that money I spent on trimmer's over the years to fit my nitpicky needs. The poor trimmer's were all fails, lol.

The funny thing is for all the years I have made cards I never bought a trimmer. It was just maybe a decade back that I started buying them. I always used craft knives/metal rulers or a rotary/quilting ruler for my creations. Perfect straight cuts. Get the trimmers and everything is off. I have high of standards for my tools, lol. It's not a good thing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 02:21 AM   #24  
Gallery Gazer

DeeAnn, if I couldn’t get exact cuts from my trimmers it would drive me crazy too. Luckily, except for one small guillotine trimmer, they’ve all worked perfectly. Standing works better for me so my arm can be over the trimmer and less angled (I’m short). My problem is being a tool junky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2020, 11:13 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

UPDATE- THANK YOU! I am sorry for not bringing up a bit of an old thread. I took a social media break for the past couple of months. I had three deaths in my family at the time I was asking for help.

bjeans- Thank you so much for the recommendation of the ruler grips. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLY PERFECT. I got the 3M versions which I suspect are probably the same versions made for the other companies you recommended.

My little hand-held rotary cutter and ruler, with the grips, have no slippage. They cut perfectly with all my magazine images. I can even cut individual layers of tissue paper with no damage and perfect accuracy.

Thanks everyone for helping and the recommendations. I do really appreciate it. Side Note- I know I owe a lot of e-mails to some of my girls over here. Expect them this week. Thanks for being there for me.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Curious about your Carl

This is my first post and I think I didn't post it correctly.  I looked at a comment from bjeans and wanted to ask her or anyone my question?  Sorry for not posting it correctly.

I've been researching rotary cutters to replace my old Fiskars and noticed that you love your Carl. What kind do you have? I loved my old Fiskars rotary cutter but need to replace it now and hoping to buy one that will last for many many years. Any advice? I've been looking at Carls, Dahles, and Rotatrim's, but open to any suggestions.
Nancy

Last edited by Stampitis; 03-12-2020 at 05:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-12-2020, 07:15 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampitisView Post

This is my first post and I think I didn't post it correctly. I looked at a comment from bjeans and wanted to ask her or anyone my question? Sorry for not posting it correctly.

I've been researching rotary cutters to replace my old Fiskars and noticed that you love your Carl. What kind do you have? I loved my old Fiskars rotary cutter but need to replace it now and hoping to buy one that will last for many many years. Any advice? I've been looking at Carls, Dahles, and Rotatrim's, but open to any suggestions.
Nancy

I have this one: Amazon.com : CARL Heavy Duty Rotary Paper Trimmer 12inch : Office Products

I have the 12” - it comes in 15 and larger. A feature I appreciate a lot is cutting multiple sheets of paper at once with a back and forth motion. I think it’s 35 sheets of copy paper, not that I’ve done that. But I can put a bunch of thick cardstock on it, clamp it down (which is just an easy push on a hinged block), and cut it all at once with a back and forth motion.

The clamp can be pushed almost all the way down but not fully engaged, which holds paper semi-still while I fine tune the position before clamping it all the way. That’s clear as mud. :shock: So if I folded a card a skosh off, I can clamp down the entire card and slice off the offending sliver to square it up. And it’s okay if a card has adhesive/glue under a die cut - it can still be cut through.

An LSS I visit plus another a little farther away have Carls (and of course other trimmers), and despite the wear and tear and constant moving them around, they’re still cutting well after years. I got mine November, 2016 and it’s like new.

There are other great cutters - someone here suggested the Carl when I was looking. BTW, I enjoy my Fiskars too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 08:10 AM   #28  
Glitter Queen

Thanks bjeans for your help. Your Carl sounds like a real workhorse and that's what I want. I have a birthday coming up and will try to make my decision soon! Yay!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 08:18 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by StampitisView Post
Thanks bjeans for your help. Your Carl sounds like a real workhorse and that's what I want. I have a birthday coming up and will try to make my decision soon! Yay!!!

Almost happy birthday! Mine was a holiday gift from my husband - but I opened it in November!

Just be aware that like for almost all rotary cutters, cutting an exact, very narrow strip from an already narrow piece of paper can be difficult or not possible, since they’re not like the common trimmers with fractions to the right of the blade. Does that make sense?

Example: Cutting a 1/2” strip from a 1” strip of paper means grabbing a Fiskar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 08:41 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

Yes, that does make sense. I'm already used to that because of my old Fiskars rotary cutter.

I have several friends that use a guillotine cutter and love them. I borrowed a friends for awhile, but I'm just so used to the rotary cutter that I didn't enjoy using it. I'm really excited about getting a new rotary cutter!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2020, 08:50 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

I don’t love guillotines either, though I’ve tried. It’s me, not them, because some are excellent. Just personal preference, chocolate, strawberry, vanilla, right? (Vanilla please.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #32  
Glitter Queen

Not sure I’m asking this in the right place or correctly. I was looking to get the Tim Holtz Comfort Trimmer but can’t find anyplace that has it in stock.
Does anyone know if it’s been discontinued?
Reply With Quote Likes