Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ughh ink splotches on your finished card

So you finish a card, all nice and pristine, then you see it!:oops: smack in the white area of the card ( of course) plus, you are in a hurry and don't have time to create another occasion card for the event you are going to! eih!!!!!!

What do you do? Do they make a correcting fluid type of thing for card making? I have tried erasers, and they make it worse. Sometimes I have just stamped a butterfly etc on that spot, but maybe you ladies have a better idea?

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I haven't found any type of white-out that matches my cardstocks, so I usually go for a butterfly if one will fit. Or bling...sequins, pearls, a scattering of Liquid Pearls...
Sometimes some very careful sanding or scraping with a scalpel will do the job, but that depends a lot on what type of cardstock it is whether it improves it or just looks worse afterwards. I'm sorry for you - but I think it's happened to all of us.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 02:20 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 357 Likes on 197 Posts

Yelp! Add a pearl, bling, dots of stickles, bow, etc. When I first began cardmaking, I was told, "there are no mistakes, just embellishment opportunities."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 02:24 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thank you Sabrina, that's a good idea sequins etc. Liquid pearls?! ohhhhh I have not heard of that, I will have to check that out. ))))

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.

My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 04:38 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

This just happened to me last night and the eraser made it worse since the paper was cream and the spot is now white, so I added two small stamped images, one above the other since my ink was on the left side of the card not in the middle. Usually I add some bling or enamel dots.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 35 Likes on 6 Posts

Jennifer McGuire likes this tool for erasing boo boos: Couture Creations CREATIVE DETAILER Tool co726591 at Simon Says STAMP!

She has a video too posted on her blog: 10 New Must-Have Crafting Tools - Jennifer McGuire Ink

Maybe someone who's used it could chime in. I haven't.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

I don't have the detailing tool, but plan to get it.

So far I have been using the Tombow Mono Sand eraser that Jennifer used before she got the detailing tool. ;) It works well...sand/erase gently until smudge is gone. I use white CS 95% of the time and never have issues with seeing the erasure.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2019, 11:27 AM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post
Jennifer McGuire likes this tool for erasing boo boos: Couture Creations CREATIVE DETAILER Tool co726591 at Simon Says STAMP!

She has a video too posted on her blog: 10 New Must-Have Crafting Tools - Jennifer McGuire Ink

I got one at Ali Express and it works beautifully. But I haven't used it for large blotches, only small and medium ones. Here's mine. (Wow, that's some long link!) There are others at Ali Express now that are even cheaper:

Creative Battery Electric Automatic Eraser for Writing Drawing Painting Student Pencil Erasers School Office Stationery Supplies-in Eraser from Office & School Supplies on ********** - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2019, 02:21 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

At the very end I got a dot of black ink on a white 3D pizza box card that took a long time to make (measurements!), and I didn’t have extra previously made Distress Oxide/photo paper for the balloons. I covered the dot with a stamped star or burst, stamping more on the top, inside and the edge to look on purpose. Two pics in my gallery.

I’ve used a sand eraser and another hard rubbery eraser (don’t know its name) and sometimes they’ve worked, sometimes not. My electric eraser died but it was old.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 10-21-2019 at 03:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 206 Likes on 185 Posts

Oh I do it all the time! so you are not alone.
I also use the
Tombow Mono Sand eraser and have found it works well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2019, 03:58 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

ugh. Yeah, been there, done that. So upsetting.

another sand eraser here. but I just buff it gently to avoid too much surface mess. and then the fall back is bling. If I have not attached my sentiment yet I might put it there..including switching to a circle from a strip.
there is white out but I dont think it matches and really wont cover it. (I dont even know why we still have it-it does not cover anything in my mind) tiny ones maybe you could use a white gel pen....or maybe a metallic pen and make a few dots?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am sooo glad I am not alone with this problem! Thank you , I thought it was just me.

I saw that Jenny McGuire video and I found a similar electric eraser on AMazon, but it made it worst. Did I get a bad eraser?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgpunkyView Post
I am sooo glad I am not alone with this problem! Thank you , I thought it was just me.

I saw that Jenny McGuire video and I found a similar electric eraser on AMazon, but it made it worst. Did I get a bad eraser?

If it made it worse, is it possible the ink was still wet so smeared? Or maybe too much pressure? You want an extremely light touch. The eraser also needs to be clean before use. You can run it on a clean piece of scrap paper.

You can look at a reviews on Amazon to see if there was a common problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 06:06 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

Hobby Lobby has a Master's Touch brand of the same battery eraser, and you can use the coupon on it - just in case anyone is still looking.

I've used a sand eraser successfully if it's just a surface smudge.
https://amzn.to/2BweWz6

Gesso works sometimes.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:29 AM   #15  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Another vote for the sand eraser. OK, it doesn't always work, but it certainly does the job well. I find using it gently, in first one direction, then the other is best. I have some very old Jones Tones confetti dots that I have used to camouflage spots, also Stickles, Liquid Pearls, gems, etc. But my go to is the sand eraser.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:38 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use a very fine sanding pad (made for nails - almost no grit). Works OK if ink has not gone below a layer or two of the CS. Leaves no frayed edge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:49 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

I use the Tombow sand eraser tool. It works most of the time and I also have covered the spot with a white paint pen by just dabbing it on until it is covered. If neither of those methods work I add extra pearls or rhinestones to make it look as if it was always part of the design to add them. Or try to stamp an image over the area to cover it.

Here is my Flickr url: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vangerhofer/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by vangerhoferView Post
I use the Tombow sand eraser tool. It works most of the time and I also have covered the spot with a white paint pen by just dabbing it on until it is covered. If neither of those methods work I add extra pearls or rhinestones to make it look as if it was always part of the design to add them. Or try to stamp an image over the area to cover it.
I forgot to mention sometimes using the white marker to try and cover up. Again, sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 09:05 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I’ve used a sand eraser and it works for smaller, lighter or less deep spots. I got Distress oxide on a card, pink over yellow, and there was no way I could sand it off because 1) the ink was very wet so the fingerprint soaked in 2) I risked removing the base layer of yellow and changing the texture of the paper so more yellow ink would look different.

I did mask some of it by adding more yellow ink (3 layers but still not enough) so in the end I covered it with a sequin. Of course I added more sequins, not just the one. In some cases a small die cut will cover it up and any dimensional paint like Nuvo drops or Liquid Pearls will cover it. If it’s near the edge some sponging might cover it. Or a small border. There are pearls, gems etc depending on the design. Sometimes some ribbon or twine works.

I don’t really understand how a regular eraser would remove ink. I looked into the detailer Jennifer McG recommends but it’s just a normal eraser that shouldn’t remove ink. I can only guess that by using it long enough it wears away a tiny bit of the paper? I have an excellent one but haven’t tried it on an ink smudge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,119 Likes on 502 Posts

They spin pretty fast, so there's more friction than you can apply with your hand - still though - it's just a regular eraser and that type tends to be soft as well.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #21  
Cardstock Collector

Hi. I've used the motorized eraser promoted by Jennifer McGuire. It works well on dye ink and doesn't leave a spot---but if the ink spot dry and large you are better off looking for a BIG butterfly to cover it. Sand erasers work too but can leave a mess behind.
I just finished a Halloween card that took an hour to make and two hours to clean up. I guess that's part of learning, but I've had my scary story early.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 11:50 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 653 Likes on 438 Posts

I've used the motorized eraser (Jennifer McGuire recommendation) as well. Worked fine on a small spot. Have also tried the sand eraser, but apparently I have a heavy hand so I usually wasn't happy with the outcome. Some cards artists say tried the eraser first and then if there's still a small spot you could use a white gel pen (or white marker). Done that. Not perfect either but sometimes it looked ok enough. My embellishment of choice is usually Nuvo drops but depends on the size of the spot. Welcome to crafting. I tell people all the time that card making is forcing me to be less of a perfectionist. LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 01:06 PM   #23  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently used my Battery operated eraser to removed stray dots of foil on a cream colored envelope. It did not damage the finish of the paper, and I successfully removed the stray foil. I don't have the kind Jennifer McGuire has. I bought mine from the art section of Hobby Lobby. The price point is cheaper than the Couture Creations. I read that some were not successful in using this type of eraser. I haven't encountered any problems yet. I don't know if being light handed and letting the rotation motion of the eraser do its job are the tricks to using it without damaging the area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 03:34 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

I 've had some luck with this. Works great for small stray ink https://www.amazon.com/Tombow-57304-...1787170&sr=8-2
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 02:13 AM   #25  
Glitter Queen

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hobby Lobby also has one of those eraser tools for 9.95. I got mine for half off when they had 50 per cent off their Paper Studio line. I also got the package of refills for 2.00 which were half off .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 02:51 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Send a message via Skype™ to manetta

if I have a splot of ink....in many cases I just add a lot of tiny splatters from a toothbrush and ink!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 07:34 AM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I just did a card yesterday & the ink got smudged where I didn't want it, AND the water color bleeding I wanted went too far. LOL (Experimenting on Christmas Cards...) Well, I covered some with sequins & the other with another image (tree). The others....? Well, it IS a handmade card! LOL It just adds character & uniqueness! No one can "copy" those marks! LOL ;) (AND for now, it is a "sample!") It did show me though, the troubles I will have when I do more in assembly line.... STILL EXPERIMENTING HERE! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 11:45 AM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
I got one at Ali Express and it works beautifully. But I haven't used it for large blotches, only small and medium ones. Here's mine. (Wow, that's some long link!) There are others at Ali Express now that are even cheaper:

Creative Battery Electric Automatic Eraser for Writing Drawing Painting Student Pencil Erasers School Office Stationery Supplies-in Eraser from Office & School Supplies on ********** - 11.11_Double 11_Singles' Day

I won't EVER order anything from those design thieves!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #29  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoboken PaperView Post

I watched that video as well, but I wasn't impressed with her latest video on "must haves". Personally, I like the Tombow sand eraser. They're inexpensive and last a long time.
https://www.amazon.com/Tombow-57304-...=fsclp_pl_dp_6
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
Yelp! Add a pearl, bling, dots of stickles, bow, etc. When I first began cardmaking, I was told, "there are no mistakes, just embellishment opportunities."

ditto.. I was told cards are handcrafted and this is normal. Took years before I was okay with just covering with gems, bows, butterflies, etc.
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Spinny eraser thing, sand eraser, or white gel pen.
If none of those work, yep it's time for some bling! Sequins are larger and cover more of the bigger oopsies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #32  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If they are tiny blotches, I grab for Stampin Up's itty bitty background stamp with the random spots and add some more in a color that fits the card. Also adding a little bit of stenciling will cover up blothed. Sometimes the blotches might be next to a stamped sentiment, in this case I stamp the sentiment on an extra piece of paper and attach to the card over the mistake, or again use the itty bitty background stamp. Over the years I learned how to deal with those types of mistakes so I no longer throw things out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2019, 04:28 AM   #33  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 784 Likes on 320 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgpunkyView Post

I have an electric eraser and it doesn't work on boo boos. I use those little blob/paint splatter stamp.
Reply With Quote Likes