Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-14-2019, 12:51 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default aha moment

Have you ever made a card and forgot to put in your gallery and then you want to recreate it? Ok, so I had forgotten to download a card to my gallery and was in a hurry, but remembered creating a card that would work perfectly for a friend's birthday.

I had to look through my photos, find the card, and THEN figure out the name of the stamps I used.

So I see why in terms of organization (yes, that is why I am posting here) that uploading your cards, along with the description of the stamps used, colors etc really help !

Thank you all for showing me a new organization trick. Next time I will just look at my gallery.

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2019, 05:10 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

That's pretty much why I put things in my gallery here, too. It frees up physical space (I don't have to save the actual card as a sample) and digital space (I don't have to keep the photos on my computer). PLUS - it's really kind of fun to take a stroll back through time in your own gallery every now and again to see how your involvement in this whole shebang has morphed/evolved over the years...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2019, 11:12 PM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Oh, absolutely. My gallery is my memory for stamps and techniques I've used. I also really enjoy reading it when other people describe their creative process too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Oh, absolutely. My gallery is my memory for stamps and techniques I've used. I also really enjoy reading it when other people describe their creative process too.
Yes, that.

And supplies: inks, stamps/dies, anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 02:54 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

It is a big deal for me to see what products/techniques people have used at the least. I have learned a LOT from that over the years.

The story behind it is like a present. Always fun.

The OPs thought is also very true. I had not even thought of it.

Personal opinion:
I know it is optional, but it used to be kind of etiquette...and lately there are SO many cards that don't have it...or are asking me to go to a blog. I have ZERO problem with people posting their blog links in their signatures (and have visited through those), but I DO get unhappy when I feel like the gallery is being used to drive blogs. (ie demos) If you want to say a minimal amount and then say for more details that's one thing. But just either nothing at all/or for directions see: X. I pass. And honestly, once I see a person does that as a rule, I skip their cards. We all have limited time and again, just IMHO, this place is like a huge bunch of friends. So if you were sitting at a crop with friends and they asked you how you made something-would you say "go see my blog"?

I am glad the subject came up as this is something I have been discussing with others this year to see if it is just me-and is it not. People do want to see materials and the summary techniques at least. I just had not figured out how to broach it.

I dont mean to sound like I am yelling/chastising people. Just one of the rare things here that make me unhappy and wanted to share.

Didn't meant to hijack the thread. Back to regular programming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 05:07 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Sometimes when I go to see someone’s details on their blog, there aren’t anymore details than what was in their description in the first place. That is a pet peeve of mine.

I love to read descriptions of how people went through the process. My favorite reading is Susie Australia! It really helps when you go and try to make the card and do the technique. And it does seem more friendly that way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 06:28 AM   #7  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Quote:

Originally Posted by smadsonView Post
Sometimes when I go to see someone’s details on their blog, there aren’t anymore details than what was in their description in the first place. That is a pet peeve of mine.

I love to read descriptions of how people went through the process. My favorite reading is Susie Australia! It really helps when you go and try to make the card and do the technique. And it does seem more friendly that way.

I was going to say the same about more details not always being more. On my own time I rarely follow blog links, but as a gallery mod I do my best to ensure that cards are in the most suitable galleries, and will make the effort to follow a link up if there's not much info in the upload. It's highly frustrating to follow a blog link and still not be able to find out what the name of the stamp used was! Total waste of my time, since it probably wasn't a card I was personally interested in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 07:53 AM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

Agree with above comments. Listing key supplies doesn't take long. The packaging or pocket with label can be brought to the computer/tablet so doesn't have to be written down - unless that's a way to lose stamps... :shock:

I don't mind blog links at all if they go to that card, and appreciate the detailed instructions or video. Then the maker doesn't have to re-enter info. But if it doesn't go to the card, boooo, and I'm not talkin' Halloween.

I'd hope folks would comment or PM me if key elements or tools are forgotten and they want to know. It's happened a couple of times and I appreciated it.

And I wish more makers used the Gallery. If it's just a matter of not knowing how, umpteen people would help. The Gallery is a gift.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-16-2019 at 09:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

I totally agree with all of the above comments! If you can't tell me AT LEAST who made the stamp you used (even if you don't know the name of the set) then I'm frustrated before I start... Also, aside from susieaustralia (who does give great, detailed descriptions), Sabrina (Cook22) is another one who does an excellent job of providing enough information for you to go off and give her process a try on your own. ;)
I agree about the gallery being a gift, and I also get very sad when I like something that someone has posted in a thread and it makes me curious about their gallery so I click over only to find that they don't have one. I would say that this happens at least 60-70 percent of the time - why, people? We're all friends here, and very encouraging/supportive of one another - please share our creations with us!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 12:25 PM   #10  

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

I've gotten to where I pretty much always give detailed descriptions of my process. If it's a card I posted on my blog as well, I just copy and paste from my write-up in the blog post for my gallery description, adjusting the text if needed (e.g. not naming stamps again that I already included in the list of stamps field). If I post 2 views of a card, like inside & outside or something, I do 2 posts, and just link them to each other in their respective descriptions, so if anyone wants, s/he can see both views. I am also really disappointed when I click through to see someone's card, and there is nothing! Maybe a list of stamp names, but if I don't know the company, not very helpful. One thing I do with the cards I'm going to post on my blog and/or here, is just write a list of of supplies, inspiration, etc., on a sticky note--before putting my supplies away. That way, they're on my desk & I can easily see what I used. I then stick that note to the back of the card. When I upload it, the notes are there for me to refer to. If I need to send it before posting, I just import a photo of the card into OneNote and copy my notes onto that page. Then I can reference that when I post. Doesn't take long, & I don't have to go hunting down my supplies after the fact! Though I have sent the sticky note WITH the card once or twice, totally by accident! LOL

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 PM   #11  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

I had to laugh at you sending the sticky notes, Andrea. I tried the Post-It route, as I always have a block on my desk for masking, but I was forever losing them. I never thought of sticking it to the card . So now I just have an ongoing Google doc called Card Details , and when I finish a card I note the supplies there. It's especially helpful for challenge samples when I might have worked a few weeks ahead and already mailed the card before I upload it. It works for me as my PC is on the same desk that I stamp at. Once the card is uploaded, I delete that one from my Google doc.
If it's a slow process card, I do still note the stamps on a post-it, as an aide-memoire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2019, 05:56 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

LOL on the post its Andrea. That is SO something I could easily see myself doing.

All good suggestions about how to make it easy-peasy to list materials.

Yes-I have to agree totally! Susie and Sabrina are two of my top favs for descriptions. Susie is often like a mini storybook. So fun! And Sabrina-as I have told her many times, is like a lesson in a paragraph that even this visually oriented kid can understand. But I like em all.

And yes Sue, I am a person who does not have a gallery of my own. So I realize this might sound a bit hypocritical but I was told it wasn't before I posted. You know why I don't, but one day I may. Before I do that I would want to start doing challenges though I know it isn't required-just more important to me. This whole site is a gift which is why I am a paid member like you

As for links-I used to go to Sue's every so often. I don't always comment if she has not posted in a while but I peeked. Now you don't have your link anymore. I noticed ;)

Wow. Yeah...if you make me link and then still don't have the card info...yeah. I would be annoyed too. I also don't like having to scroll through days of posts. If you link-link to it please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2019, 10:28 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great posts! I am learning so much!

Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where nature
may heal and give strength to body and soul alike.
Keep close to nature's heart ...
and break clear away, once in a while, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
God never made an ugly landscape. John Muir

Psalm 73:26
My flesh and heart may fail, God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:45 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organization

What a great idea. I never thought about the computer space saving that this will allow. I’m new to the site and will begin a gallery for my creations
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

It’s great to have the gallery, and just a reminder that it’s always recommended to backup photos - or documents - not store them in only one place. Stuff happens. Storage could be in the cloud, like google photos or Amazon (probably free for prime members), external drive, flash drives, etc.

If computereze is a foreign language, it can be worth hiring a tech. Many can help by talking through the process on the phone and remotely logging into the computer, showing you the steps as they go.

Tons of articles by searching on photo back up. A summary:
Best ways to backup photos | TechRadar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 05:29 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

It is especially helpful to me with designer papers. Once a cut into a sheet and the unused portions go into my designer paper scrap bin for future use (usually with no identification on it), it is so easy to find the card where I used it first and get the needed information from my card description.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 08:56 PM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Having to make cards for publication six months in advance, I learned to have lined paper at hand to write down everything I used and the directions for making the card at the same time as creation. Like a recipe. I also made a sketch or scan of the card or a second card front and now have wide three ring binders full of document sleeves with samples and the directions (typed up one doc to send with card front and printed two). I also kept all the magazines I was published in and made a note on the sample print-out of which magazine the card was published in. I have a gallery here, but have deleted out the ones least visited, cause I know you all have limited time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 09:17 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

Interesting thread. I am a huge fan and user of the galleries. I love it when a usable amount of information is given, so I thank and applaud all of you who do so. I do not have a gallery on SCS, but I do have a personal one on my computer. In addition to directions, sizes and materials, I put down who, when and for what occasion the card was given. That way when a recipient (especially another stamper) wants to know how I did something, I have a reference to go to. That is all I have time for, so to repeat that in a gallery---especially putting everything I have already on my computer---would take more time than I have to spend. So, it's not that I'm unwilling to share, in fact, I'm thrilled and grateful when someone compliments me by asking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 11:02 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Interesting thread. I am a huge fan and user of the galleries. I love it when a usable amount of information is given, so I thank and applaud all of you who do so. I do not have a gallery on SCS, but I do have a personal one on my computer. In addition to directions, sizes and materials, I put down who, when and for what occasion the card was given. That way when a recipient (especially another stamper) wants to know how I did something, I have a reference to go to. That is all I have time for, so to repeat that in a gallery---especially putting everything I have already on my computer---would take more time than I have to spend. So, it's not that I'm unwilling to share, in fact, I'm thrilled and grateful when someone compliments me by asking.
Rather than using the format in the gallery upload where you list the stamps, paper, ink, etc., you could just copy what you have on your computer and paste it in the description area and be done. That would be a fast way to share your creations in a gallery here without duplicating your efforts other than uploading the photo and pasting the description...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the info. I could do this for future cards, but it would be a huge job to put in the past ones. I wouldn't be able to remove them from my computer until they were on SCS and it would take way too much time. My gallery is a reference for me and I would not like it in two different places. I'm not of the computer age, so anything I do regarding technology is difficult and not fun. Just thinking about all the time it would take and thus rob me of more crafting time actually makes me shudder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 02:47 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
Thanks for the info. I could do this for future cards, but it would be a huge job to put in the past ones. I wouldn't be able to remove them from my computer until they were on SCS and it would take way too much time. My gallery is a reference for me and I would not like it in two different places. I'm not of the computer age, so anything I do regarding technology is difficult and not fun. Just thinking about all the time it would take and thus rob me of more crafting time actually makes me shudder.
Fair enough. Also, I was thinking of future, not past - that would be daunting for anyone! Still, would love to see your creations...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 03:50 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

If I could be of inspiration or help to others, I would feel I was somewhat paying back for all I have learned here. However, at this point in my life, it's not going to happen yet. I feel such love from the people here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2019, 10:39 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Interesting reading in this post, and I see a lot of things that irritate me too about links to blogs. I get frustrated when a blog gives little or no info about the products used, or when the link just goes to a blog in general, and the actual card I was interested in is impossible to find. I try in my own blog posts to give as much info as possible because of these things, and only occasionally fail when it may be I've used an unmounted stamp bought 20-odd years ago maybe, back before I religiously recorded images and names on my pc! I admit I go through stages of uploading to the gallery, and try to remember to do them as often as possible. I do enjoy browsing the gallery, and getting inspiration, so big thanks to everyone who does upload.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I don't scan and save all the cards I've produce.
I'm bad about uploading my projects to the gallery. It takes more time than I want to spend on doing so describing each card in detail.
I've tried to group my uploads with one description for all, but that doesn't seem to work. If that was a feature option I'd upload more often.

Last edited by Bohodiva; 12-05-2019 at 10:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes