Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-20-2019, 12:38 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question - Ranger Distress Ink

I'm so green to this type of crafting that I am still weeks away to having all my supplies ordered and organized. Been buying small hauls of supplies every week from Amazon.

For whatever reason, the specific Ranger Distress Ink pad that I am after is turning into a hot mess. First ink pad took a month to arrive. Finally opened it last night and the pad is totally dry. While waiting for the first pad to arrive, I ordered what I thought was the same pad, on another site. Alas, I got the Oxidized Ink pad (not sure if it was the sites mistake or my own.). Now Amazon says the pad I'm after is out of stock.

Meanwhile, my very first project (getting used to all these materials) is on hold because of this lack of ink. Is there a way to re-ink these pads?

Any help appreciated!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 01:09 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Welcome to Splitcoast - friendliest, most helpful site on the Internet! Yes, you can buy refills for them (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=distress+...b_sb_ss_i_1_19), but if it came dry they should send you a replacement.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Welcome to Splitcoast - friendliest, most helpful site on the Internet! Yes, you can buy refills for them (https://www.amazon.com/s?k=distress+...b_sb_ss_i_1_19), but if it came dry they should send you a replacement.

I would totally order more pads, but they are out - and have been out a lot..not sure why THIS particular color (Vintage Photo) is flying out off the shelf so fast, so to speak.

Thank you for that link. No quick delivery on the Vintage Photo, but now that I know (thanks!) what to look for, maybe I can get a rush delivery of the stuff on another site.

Finally, how do I use this re-inkers? Put the entire bottle into the pad, or just a little until it dries up?

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 10-20-2019 at 01:28 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 03:56 PM   #4  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The Ranger website has lots of videos...

Videos

I know there is one about reinking an inkpad but just copied the link for all the videos so that you can see what else is available.

Some big box stores (A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Michael's) might have pads and/or reinkers in stock. I havd been reading recently that many are switching over to their own brands so I am not sure if they are still stocked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 05:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

I had a quick look at the link TeeGeeDee suggested but didn't see one on using an ink refill, but YouTube had one that I've referred to in the past:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #6  
Linking Queen

Adding direct link to the reinking video [sometimes seeing things in a (possibly) different way helps.] I say possibly different because I didn't watch either video.

How to Re-Ink an Ink Pad

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeeGeeDeeView Post
The Ranger website has lots of videos...

Videos

I know there is one about reinking an inkpad but just copied the link for all the videos so that you can see what else is available.

Some big box stores (A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Michael's) might have pads and/or reinkers in stock. I havd been reading recently that many are switching over to their own brands so I am not sure if they are still stocked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 07:01 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Isn't YouTube an awesome resource for tutorials!

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I had a quick look at the link TeeGeeDee suggested but didn't see one on using an ink refill, but YouTube had one that I've referred to in the past:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-20-2019, 08:09 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

If you're not strictly tied to buying from Amazon, you can get Distress inks & refills from many sources:

Joann: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads - 1PK | JOANN Refill: Tim Holtz Distress Pad Reinker | JOANN

The mini ink kits are great for starting out: Tim Holtz Distress Mini Ink Kits-Kit 3 | JOANN

Even Walmart.com: distress ink - Walmart.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 05:28 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indigo BlueView Post
Finally, how do I use this re-inkers? Put the entire bottle into the pad, or just a little until it dries up?

As you probably figured out from the videos, the good news is that little bottle will reink your pad several times over.

Having the reinker also means you can play with other techniques when you’re ready to start doing a little experimenting! Distress reinkers are colour-stable with water so you can use them as a liquid watercolour (and Vintage Photo is a great one for doing a monochrome image for a sepia effect, just use more or less water to vary the depth of colour and get shading). You can flick and splatter with something like an old toothbrush for a distressed effect. Try searching ‘reinker’ in the tutorials section (link at top right of the SCS screen) for other ideas.

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 07:04 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

My Goodess - So I just found the Ranger site yesterday, so had not seen the Video area yet. Thanks for the link, @TeeGeeDee

@gregzgurl tut videos are great. Thanks for that direct link. I'd have found that eventually. I did order a bottle to re-ink my pad, but it's not coming until FRIDAY. GRRRRRR. Everyone in the US seems to be grabbing anything Vintage Photo. All the sites I have accounts on show low supplies or nothing in stock.

As for going to local stores, we have all the craft stores one could ask for. Getting to those stores is next to impossible though, and can be $$$ for me. Ordering online, even with low shipping charges, is actually cheaper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 07:53 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

My Goodess - So I just found the Ranger site yesterday, so had not seen the Video area yet. Thanks for the link, @TeeGeeDee

@gregzgurl tut videos are great. Thanks for that direct link. I'd have found that eventually. I did order a bottle to re-ink my pad, but it's not coming until FRIDAY. GRRRRRR. Everyone in the US seems to be grabbing anything Vintage Photo. All the sites I have accounts on show low supplies or nothing in stock.

As for going to local stores, we have all the craft stores one could ask for. Getting to those stores is next to impossible though, and can be $$$ for me. Ordering online, even with low shipping charges, is actually cheaper.

scrapbook.com has Distress vintage photo in stock - the re-inker too. Good customer service; many here have used them.

Ranger Ink Tim Holtz Vintage Photo Distress Oxides Ink Pads

BTW, if you’re looking to “age” cardstock edges - or the entire thing - Walnut Stain is another one that works when applied lightly. Old Paper is much lighter but another.

Another company that often has very good prices, sales and very low shipping is joggles.com They were the first place i looked. But like you found, they’re out of Vintage Photo.

I think of re-inking as scribbling all over the pad - corner to corner, along edges, in the middle. Wait for the ink to soak in a bit and re-scribble.

Beth

Last edited by bjeans; 10-21-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Another company that often has very good prices, sales and very low shipping is joggles.com They were the first place i looked. But like you found, they’re out of Vintage Photo.
Beth

Many thanks for that site, Beth. I'm already registered (and have ordered product) on Scrapbook.com FotoBella (they got a sale going on Stamperia paper, thank goodness). Online is the best way for me to acquire materials, so I am always going to be on the lookout for good online sites.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 01:55 PM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

For the record, I'm following a series of video tutorials that I found on Youtube, and have already purchased the templates. The author of the templates and tutorials provided a list of everything a person would need to get started, and I liked the look of the slightly vintage designs a lot of her fans were doing on their own stuff, so figured that I'd go that direction, but with non-flowery, girly papers.

I'm going to be creating first, a custom chipboard storage unit for my crafting supplies. I will then use THAT to create about 40 different containers of all kinds.

Office / Craft will be one theme, Bedroom another Theme, and than Kitchen yet another.

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 10-21-2019 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-21-2019, 03:27 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hi You are going to like it here. We know where to find everything between all of us LOL

Keep in mind most mfgs will sell direct to you including Ranger Ink who makes the distress products for Tim Holtz (a designer collaborating with them). Now that we are a global world, a lot of them have lifted the bans from direct sales (to support the stores). They have a lot of what you are looking for right now. You can sign up for sales notices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:22 AM   #15  
Glitter Queen

Default Other resource than amazon

Quote:

I would totally order more pads, but they are out - and have been out a lot..not sure why THIS particular color (Vintage Photo) is flying out off the shelf so fast, so to speak.

Thank you for that link. No quick delivery on the Vintage Photo, but now that I know (thanks!) what to look for, maybe I can get a rush delivery of the stuff on another site.

A fantastic resource is The Funkie Junkie in Fla. Her prices on ink are great, especially if you buy the bundles - highly recommend. She does not do free shipping but it is by price. At the very bottom of your cart, you'll see the different levels of shipping prices. Wonderful to work with.
Because her pre-order pricing for sizzix and ranger inks is much less than practically every online shop, she's had complaints of her pricing from other retailers. You'll have to set up an account to get correct pricing and to get her newsletters.
I can't recommend this retailer enough.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Default If I could do over...

Quote:

For the record, I'm following a series of video tutorials that I found on Youtube, and have already purchased the templates. The author of the templates and tutorials provided a list of everything a person would need to get started, and I liked the look of the slightly vintage designs a lot of her fans were doing on their own stuff, so figured that I'd go that direction, but with non-flowery, girly papers.

I'm going to be creating first, a custom chipboard storage unit for my crafting supplies. I will then use THAT to create about 40 different containers of all kinds.

Office / Craft will be one theme, Bedroom another Theme, and than Kitchen yet another.

I am relatively new also, and if I could go back in time, I now know how to reduce the amount and what to buy.
1) A lot of items, especially tools, adhesives, etc., are available at 1/2 the price or less at places like Harbor Freight or even your local hardware stores. If "craft" is on any item, retailers really jack up the prices.
2) Get a scanner rather than dies and die machine. You can scan and cut everything you need and save a fortune by not buying dies. In in the beginning I almost did but talked myself out of it. Really wish I had gone the scanner route. If you have a Brother retailer in your area, they can help with the Scan n'Cut.
3) Do your homework - each online retailer specializes in different items and manufacturer. Sometimes buying direct from mfg site will save you money also, over sellers. Sorry, but at this point, go where the bargains are. Again, You will save a veritable fortune.
Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 11:43 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by La.Petit.RocheView Post
I am relatively new also, and if I could go back in time, I now know how to reduce the amount and what to buy.
1) A lot of items, especially tools, adhesives, etc., are available at 1/2 the price or less at places like Harbor Freight or even your local hardware stores. If "craft" is on any item, retailers really jack up the prices.
2) Get a scanner rather than dies and die machine. You can scan and cut everything you need and save a fortune by not buying dies. In in the beginning I almost did but talked myself out of it. Really wish I had gone the scanner route. If you have a Brother retailer in your area, they can help with the Scan n'Cut.
3) Do your homework - each online retailer specializes in different items and manufacturer. Sometimes buying direct from mfg site will save you money also, over sellers. Sorry, but at this point, go where the bargains are. Again, You will save a veritable fortune.
Have fun!

These are good suggestions, though not all of them work for me. For one, I have to do 95% of my materials purchasing online. Having said this, my current list of retailers is currently small, so any online vendor tips are appreciated!

I've been buying adhesives from Amazon and Scrapbook.com.
Are you saying there are similar adhesives at hardware stores?

I do plan on getting a scanner/color laserwriter, though not a Brother. Looks like Canon at this point. In regards to a dies and a die machine, I'm not 100% sure I'll be doing that. Since my "projects" are not cards, but mostly boxes and containers using scrapbooking materials, it might be overkill. If I can't find pre-cut embellishments for my various themes, I will revisit this later. My time for crafting is limited, so in the end, it's whatever is most efficient.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 12:05 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Maple Leaf

Welcome to SCS!! I would suggest ordering from Stampers Anonymous ( who makes Tim Holtz's stamps!!) or direct from Ranger. Stampers website is easy to navigate and they have all the Distress products. Ranger has all the Tim Holtz inks and refills as they manufacture them but their website is IMHO somewhat difficult to navigate. I live in Canada and order from Stampers Anonymous all the time!! Fast shipping!! I placed an order to pick up in NY when there last week and the shipment arrived in 3 days!!! They have free shipping for the states over $75. and their customer service is awesome.!! And like I said they have all things Tim Holtz!! Doesn't get much better than that!! Amazon is not the latest or greatest for some things. HTH!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Another good place for Distress Oxide ink is Scrapbookpal.com. Good prices and service, free shipping at $25.00 and great selection of adhesives.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-23-2019, 03:31 PM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Got my first bottle of Ink for the dry pad I got from Amazon. Big thanks to the folks who helped me out with my re-inking question. Re-inked the pad this afternoon and hope to use it tonight.

To add insult to injury, Amazon reported the bottle was delivered at noon today, but it did not show up in my mailbox until almost 4 pm. Sheesh!

Last edited by Indigo Blue; 10-23-2019 at 03:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2019, 03:17 PM   #21  
Kookie Creator

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile Dried Distress Ink

Quote:

Originally Posted by iamvicsView Post
If you're not strictly tied to buying from Amazon, you can get Distress inks & refills from many sources:

Joann: Tim Holtz Distress Ink Pads - 1PK | JOANN Refill: Tim Holtz Distress Pad Reinker | JOANN

The mini ink kits are great for starting out: Tim Holtz Distress Mini Ink Kits-Kit 3 | JOANN

Even Walmart.com: distress ink - Walmart.com

Wow, I can't believe the prices for Distress Inks from Walmart.com! Anyway, I have Dye Ink Refresher. You use it the same way you would use a reinker. It is a lot less money than having to buy all of your colors of ink. It is from Ranger and I believe (don't quote me) that it is from Tim Holtz. I purchased it from a show so I am not sure where you would buy it but it works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-24-2019, 03:46 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gobarb26View Post
Wow, I can't believe the prices for Distress Inks from Walmart.com! Anyway, I have Dye Ink Refresher. You use it the same way you would use a reinker. It is a lot less money than having to buy all of your colors of ink. It is from Ranger and I believe (don't quote me) that it is from Tim Holtz. I purchased it from a show so I am not sure where you would buy it but it works!

I was only pointing out availability at Walmart.com not price.

The Ranger Ink Refreshers are great for refreshing an ink pad or getting a marker flowing but they are not substitutes for re-inkers. They are available at Ranger.com: refresher among other places.

Reply With Quote Likes