Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Big Shot Express or Vagabond?

Asked on the Tool forum and got no answers so thought I'd try here:

My Big Shot Express ( electric one) needs to be replaced soon. Having trouble deciding between the new Big Shot Express and the Vagabond- any opinions as to which one is better?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by basketdivaView Post
Asked on the Tool forum and got no answers so thought I'd try here:

My Big Shot Express ( electric one) needs to be replaced soon. Having trouble deciding between the new Big Shot Express and the Vagabond- any opinions as to which one is better?
Sorry, I haven't tried either, but Jennifer Mcguire used to use the Vagabond and if I recall a Big Shot express a while ago. She may be onto another machine these days, but she might have an old comparison video you could check out on YouTube.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 03:08 AM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GdoreenView Post
Sorry, I haven't tried either, but Jennifer Mcguire used to use the Vagabond and if I recall a Big Shot express a while ago. She may be onto another machine these days, but she might have an old comparison video you could check out on YouTube.
You’re right, her current electric is a Gemini - great machine, and you don’t have to hold a button down while it’s cutting. Not having to ever shim or vary a sandwich is a bonus.

Here’s her video about all three:
Die Cutting Machine Review - Jennifer McGuire Ink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 04:39 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 934 Likes on 855 Posts

I'm a big fan of the Gemini. I have all 3 sizes. Most accurate cutting machine I have ever owned and does great with all dies. Beware though it does not take any of the old steel rule dies from Sizzix or the Tim Holtz mover and shaker dies. But with all the newer dies out there I rarely use the old dies anymore. Besides I kepted my old cuttlebug for those.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #5  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used a Big Shot for years and just went electric, so maybe my experience will be helpful.
I have not tried the Big Shot Express, but I have tried the Gemini Jr and the Vagabond. Although I liked the performance of the Gemini Jr, I just couldn't ever get used to how different the sandwich is. They recommend cutting with the die face up which is not how I am used to, and it didn't seem to work as well with the die facing down. I was also used to having a platform to assemble the sandwich, so I had some mishaps with dies shifting when I picked up the sandwich to run it through the Gemini. Especially if I assembled it face down and then flipped it, that was frequently a disaster.
I got the Vagabond and definitely preferred it, because the sandwich works just like the Big Shot. I wish it had auto feed like the Gemini but sacrificing that was worth it to me because everything else feels familiar and comfortable. I like that it folds up to take less space.
One thing that's different is the sides of the platform have some height to them, and are fairly snug around the sandwich, keeping it aligned as it feeds through the machine. I didn't have any difficulty adjusting to that, and now that I have used it a few weeks either it has loosened up or I just don't notice it anymore. But that's the only thing I can think of that would be different from the Big Shot Express.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 05:21 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

You can read in Jennifer McGuire’s blog with the linked Gemini video that she reverses the sandwich to be the more typical die-face-down, though she’s also demo’d it die face up like is suggested in the manual. I quickly got used to having the die face up, but have done it the reverse (the way many are used to) and it has cut identically.

I’m not explaining well. It’s really the same sandwich but you see what you’re doing and flip it. Jennifer explains toward the beginning of the video.

I have a set of dies that absolutely would not cut in areas in two Cuttlebugs that I owned, and two Big Shots that my LSS owner tried, but they cut perfectly in the Gemini Junior.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-09-2019 at 05:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 AM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for all the info. I'm still on the fence about what to get. After my machine stalling out again last night, I need to make a decision soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2019, 07:47 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I also use the Gemini Jr. LOVE it. My mom has a bunch of electric machines but uses the Gemini the most. And she is particular.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2019, 07:54 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Vagabond 2. One of the best craft purchases I've ever made. It's awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 08:43 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Apparently the Big Shot Express has been discontinued. That would be a determining factor for me as there is no more support from Sizzix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 08:55 AM   #11  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Apparently the Big Shot Express has been discontinued. That would be a determining factor for me as there is no more support from Sizzix.

Sizzix has it available on their website as to several other online stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mphbView Post
Is Sizzix in trouble? I'm looking to replace my WRMK Evolution Advanced (it's no longer tight, despite the setting and feels like it isn't as sturdy). I'm not sure if to go with another manual adjustable machine or buy a fixed depth machine like the Big Shot foldaway. I had a Big Kick that was reliable and easy, but wanted the ability to adjust depth instead of shims/sandwiches. I also want all metal/steel gears and solid rollers. I think I read that the BS Foldaway has all steel gears and solid core rollers (though can't find that info anymore about the rollers), but it isn't adjustable. The adjustable machine I'm thinking about (Cheery Lynn) looks like one needs a lot more cranks of the handle to push through the plates and the depth gauge, so I'm on the fence.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #13  
Glitter Queen

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Big shot vs Vagabond

I purchased the vagabond a few years ago and was not happy with it because it jammed and I couldn't get platform, paper, etc out. I set it aside a few days and then tried again, I finally got the paper out, but, haven't used it since. I should sell it because I am afraid it might jam it again and jams can break the machine. I understand they made a new model but, I don't know if it is difficult to unjam. So I now have a large and small big shot machine because of the Vagabond issue. You spend too much money on the electric and then it is of no use. This is just my personal opinion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Love my Vagabond! Never had any trouble with it. I give it a big thumbs up
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Vagabond

I have a vagabond 2, a big shot pro, and a Cricut maker. I love the vagabond! It is my go to machine for most things. When I have to use the pro for wider dies and have to crank I really appreciate having it automatic. The cricut I seem to have problems with the mats not being sticky enough and my paper moving out of position unless I tape it down and that takes longer and also it is more difficult to use any smaller size paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 01:31 PM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Vagabond2, full size Gemini, Gemini Go and I still keep my manual Big Shot because you never know when your power will go out. I use the Vagabond2 the most, I have never had any problems with it. Even with constant turning of plates, the Gemini plates warp like a son of a gun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 01:49 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancingpurplecatView Post
I have the Vagabond2, full size Gemini, Gemini Go and I still keep my manual Big Shot because you never know when your power will go out. I use the Vagabond2 the most, I have never had any problems with it. Even with constant turning of plates, the Gemini plates warp like a son of a gun.
The Gemini needs both flipping and turning after each cut. The bottom plate of my Junior looks new and the top plate has a barely noticeable curve - and that will likely go away.

Sometimes I don't flip the top on purpose. Placing dies in different places on the plates is suggested too - for any machine. There is so much pressure, that if a die is repeatedly put in one spot, plates may want to curve there - like on my old manual machine.

The top plate is very scratched or well loved, as they say, from so much cutting since my dies face up, but it works perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 02:38 PM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Vagabond on sale

If anyone wants it the vagabond2 is on sale as a bundle with extended platform and ext pads and some dies at the best price I have seen for bundle at craft direct.com I might have to buy it for a gift for a family member. Boy am I an enabler!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 02:43 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 43 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
The Gemini needs both flipping and turning after each cut. The bottom plate of my Junior looks new and the top plate has a barely noticeable curve - and that will likely go away.

Sometimes I don't flip the top on purpose. Placing dies in different places on the plates is suggested too - for any machine. There is so much pressure, that if a die is repeatedly put in one spot, plates may want to curve there - like on my old manual machine.

The top plate is very scratched or well loved, as they say, from so much cutting since my dies face up, but it works perfectly.
Yes, I flip and turn. I also check the warping after each cut, and rotate accordingly. This works quite well in the big shot but the Gemini has a lot more pressure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 05:09 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Curious to know -- any of you have had an electric/electronic machine worked on as in repair? Or do you just purchase new? I've never have purchased an electric machine as I wondered if you can find a repairman that knows how to work on them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 05:44 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3ddesignsView Post
If anyone wants it the vagabond2 is on sale as a bundle with extended platform and ext pads and some dies at the best price I have seen for bundle at craft direct.com I might have to buy it for a gift for a family member. Boy am I an enabler!

Thanks for the lead! Checked out Craft Direct & Amazon still beats the price at $132. Looking at the standard bundle (no dies as I have those already). Vagabond certainly get good reviews...and is tempting. Just bought a car today, and not sure I should be "treating" myself to something I really don't need! Still using the black/pink Big Shot from a while back and works well. so why am I even entertaining the thought of a new & bigger machine?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Vagabond2

Congrats on your new car!!! Need doesn’t come into the picture when it comes to crafts/art The vagabond is not bigger uses the same platforms as big shot. The bundle I saw has extended platform. Don’t know why I am looking, I already have one. Don’t need 2. would make a great although pricey gift. I am having houseguests soon so I was putting away the things that escaped my craft room and were on my dining room table ( I could be closer to family while they were watching tv and I could get some things done) and realized I am so out of space it is not even funny! I definitely don’t NEED it all
Reply With Quote Likes