Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2019, 01:46 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking rubber stamp off of wood block?

I just purchased a stamp that is wood mounted and would like to take it off to use with my Misti.

I did this YEARS ago with older Stampin Up sets but I can't for the life of me remember if I had to do anything to the back side of the stamp so that it would "stick" to the Misti or is it ready to go once I take it off of the wood block?

Not sure if it matters but it's a PSX stamp, not an SU one.

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2019, 04:25 AM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 737 Likes on 358 Posts

It does not matter who the mfg is

You have two choices.

You can cling it yourself-you buy cling sheets and put the raw rubber on it and cut around it and done.

or
you can go the raw rubber route and use temp adhesives to make it stick to the misti or an acrylic block. There are a lot vids for that too.

People do both here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2019, 08:37 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm one who goes the bare rubber route - no foam on the back of the rubber. I want less bulk in the storage and I don't want the expense of all that foam. Also, over time the foam can break down or "cup" so the stamp gets distorted or whatever and you have to replace it. It just seems like a lot of bother to me. That said, there are a lot of people who LOVE the foam, so whatever suits you. My issue has been finding an adhesive to put on the backs that I love over the long haul. I've been using Aleene's Tack It over and over (as many others do), but think I'm going to bite the bullet and try some Mount It, as was suggested by another SCSer some time ago...

Be prepared for a few people to be appalled that you would take an heirloom (which many consider PSX stamps to be) and strip it off the wood. I'm not one of those - all of my PSX got stripped along with the others...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2019, 08:33 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Proud Fan Club Member
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All my wood block stamps are bare rubber now (10 seconds in the microwave). I use them in my MISTI by applying a school glue stick over ALL of the rubber. Place it in MISTI in the approximate position, then slide it (don't lift it up) into the correct position. I have stamped dozens of sentiment, images, etc and the bare rubber won't move until you are ready to take it off.

Simply wipe MISTI with a baby wipe and use another baby wipe to clean both sides of the stamp. Hope this helps.

Please don't take your organs to heaven - heaven knows we need them here.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2019, 12:12 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks so much for your suggestions. Where do I find the cling sheets?

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2019, 12:18 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I do the same technique as susieaustralia. This has worked out great for me.

Cling sheets- I don't use them. I store mine in sandwich bags. Stamping beauties don't shoot me the great Carol Duvall did it. She is the queen so I am listening to her, lol.

For cling sheets I have seen ladies use transparency sheets. I know some ladies use the Dollar Tree cutting mats to store their stamps.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2019, 08:45 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 870 Likes on 518 Posts
Smile

I've just been doing the easiest way I could find as of late. I just run my ATG over the back of the rubber and then attach it to the Misti. When I want to remove the tape from the back of the stamp, I just rub it with my finger, and it rolls off. I did a bunch of mine with the Aleene's in the past, and some of them did great, and some did not. Probably had a lot to do with how thinly or thickly I used it, etc.. But I am just going with easy now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2019, 03:49 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I also struggled getting Aileenes just right. Some people seem to get it right first time, others, not so so much. Everyone seems to use different amounts or methods. Many years ago I added all my bare rubber to cling foam, but really wish I'd never bothered. As Sue says, over time it can 'cup' making stamps almost impossible to attach to blocks/storage sheets, plus it pretty much doubles storage space, so thats a consideration depending how many stamps you have. All my bare rubber stamps are stored in Currency/trading card/ postcard storage sheets available on Amazon in lots of combos, so you can store any sized stamp that way.

To attach I have a couple of acrylic blocks that have Tack'n'Peel on, or for my stamping platform I just use plain old glue stick on the back, which holds fine.
I'm another PSX unmounter, lol. You are not alone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:15 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by maslexView Post
Thanks so much for your suggestions. Where do I find the cling sheets?
I found a few different sources. You can google "ez mount static cling foam sheets," and get ideas for where to buy. I bought a bulk pack (I think it may have been 10 sheets?) quite some time ago--maybe a couple of years, I forget exactly. I don't think it was that much, but prices seem to have gone up from what I could tell. You can get it on Amazon.com, but 1 sheet is $7.99. I found a 10-sheet pack at ebay.com for $37.02 and free shipping. Simon Says Stamp also sells a thin (1/16") version. I've used that on a mirror stamping stamp that was red rubber, so I could use it in my MISTI to pick up ink from a clear stamp without having too thick a layer. (I did have to remove the foam pad.) It kind of depends on how much you think you might need. Like I said, just google, and you'll find multiple sources with different numbers of sheets & various price points. Hope this helps!

Proud Dirty Dozen Design Team Alumna!
Featured Stamper #564
Blog: Andrea's Paper Antics
SCS Gallery

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

Default Misti

I see comments stating use with your MISTI. I AM A “newbie”.... WHAT is a misti?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 10:55 AM   #11  
Inking Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Smile I love my Wood Mounted Stamps!!

Yes, I am one of 'those" people. I love my stamps that are mounted on wood. Each block is a little piece of art. I am lucky, I have a craft studio and a handy dandy Husband. I have lighted cabnetswith step shelves to place my 'woodies". From 8 x 8, to 1/2 x 1/2 each one has it's place. These days I am able to purchase lots off of E-Bay, at reasonable prices. Now, I'm not all wack a do, I have drawers and drawers of cling stamps, that I use almost daily.
Stamping......it's not just a print, it's a way of life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 12:25 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default MISTI

Quote:

Originally Posted by belvalauvrayView Post
I see comments stating use with your MISTI. I AM A “newbie”.... WHAT is a misti?
Welcome Newbie! How fun for you to be starting outt in this great hobby (obsession) of ours🤗 MISTI stands for Most Incredible Stamp Tool Invented. It is basically a hinged stamp platform that lets you precisely stamp (except wood mounted) in the same place everytime. You can check youtube to see it in action. Stampin Up has a version too as do a few others still I think. They really are indispensible and worth the investment it you do layered stamping or make multiples of the same card at once. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 12:50 PM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

I bought some of the foam mounting, which I haven't used yet. But someone let me know that they use Scotch poster tape, so I tried it and it worked really well. Instead of taking the tape off the stamp when done, I put the backing strip back on it.

Crafty Hugs, Sherry xx
Loose Stitches and Unraveled Threads
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #14  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default converting to cling

I buy "E-Z mount" sheets. You should be able to order them through any big online store, or if you have a good craft supply store in your area. There are two kinds - grey foam (thicker) and black foam (thin). The instructions are on the sheets. If you take the stamp off the foam, you use the grey foam E-Z mount, or if you peel it off the wood, and the foam comes with it, use the black (thin) E-Z mount. I tend to use the grey. If you have lots of wood block stamps, it is an expensive thing to change them all to cling, but I did mine over time, so it easies the pain! I think you can also get it from Amazon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #15  
Mad Swapper

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use those thin foam sheets that you get out of the children's dept. in the hobby stores. The one with sticky on one side. I add it to the back of my rubber and then paint a thin coating of Aleene's Tack & Tack It Over and Over on the non-sticky side of the foam. I tried using the double face tape and it gunked up the acrylic mount, so I had to take the time to unstick it with Undo or Goo-Be-Gone. Then I laminate my own cling storage sheets with white shirt-board and attach a sheet of sticky back magnet on the back side to hold dies. I put the storage sheets into a portable filing box with a plastic placemat between them so that the dies don't cut into my rubber stamps. I get those from the dollar store.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 07:43 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I love cling (EZ Mount) for small to medium stamps. But I removed it from my background stamps to save space and to prevent cupping. But I’ve never noticed cupping with anything less than about 3ish” square. Now I have some with stubborn cling. I hope I can get it off. I don’t think the microwave would be good because I assume the foam is a plastic? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

Default Misti

Quote:

Originally Posted by belvalauvrayView Post
A MISTI is a stamp positioning tool. Helps you rest amp in the same position if your stamp was not inked properly or if you are making multiple cards. Lots of videos available to help explain.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 02:43 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

What is the best way to get any remaining stickiness off of the wood blocks? I have sold some wood mount sets that actually were shipped unmounted - I get to keep the wood blocks and hope to re-purpose them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 03:09 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I haven’t removed a ton of stamps from blocks, but with the ones I’ve done, I have found just taking my time is usually enough. Once I get an edge of a stamp loosened, i can usually slowly peel it off the block. Usually the foam stays on fine. If parts of the foam come off, i take the rest off, usually gently peeling again, or scraping gently with my thumb nail. If you have stamp cleaner for stazon, that has a very nice solvent init that helps loosen glues, too.

As for holding stamps to blocks, I haven’t had great success with tack it over and over, either. It gobs up on my stamps like boogers and didn’t really adhere all fhat wellto the rubber. I need to try again. In the meantime, I usually use a glue stick. Tacky (ha) I know. But it works really well, and I’m going to clean my stamps anyway. When I’m done stamping, I throw all my dirty stamps in a tub and let them collect up, until I can’t stand it, and then I go wash them all in the sink. The bare rubber works great this way, and the glue and ink all wash off at the same time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 03:30 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mischelle 1. I would love to see photos of your shelves. ☺️
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 12:46 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used green Tombow glue smeared lightly on the back of my unmounted rubber stamp and let it dry for approximately 24 hours. They have worked great for several years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 04:23 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

I went through process a couple of years ago...quite a project but sure worth the effort. Someone suggested "tack it over" and I found it a mess...UNTIL someone else suggested watering it down just a touch & using the thinness coat on the back of your stamp and then let dry. THAT works well and doesn't seem to leave any residue in MISTI. I store my stamps in CD cases.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2019, 05:36 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Index uncounted stamps

I need to have my stamps indexed —- the picture/sentiment on the stamp. What is a good way to do this when you unmount the stamp?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2019, 04:26 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cling stamp storage

I store my cling and clear stamps in storage pockets - you can get them in various sizes on Amazon and some online craft stores. I put a sheet of white paper/card stock in the storage pocket and store my stamps in drawers with dividers that have the subject typed on - animals, flowers, etc. I have over 1,000 stamp pockets! so it became just too time consuming to stamp on a sheet in a binder because that didn't tell me where the stamp was actually stored.
Attached Thumbnails
Taking rubber stamp off of wood block?-craft-room-13.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2019, 05:08 AM   #25  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are just asking how to get the rubber and foam off of the wood, it may depend on just how "stuck" it is. I have had some that I have been able to carefully lift up the corner and just pull it off. If it isn't that easy, then putting it in the microwave for 15-25 seconds will make the adhesive soft and pliable for a minute.

I don't know if you just used something like Stick It Over and Again or Tombow Mono to stick the rubber to your block or MISTI. They make a foam that you can cut yourself that is like the back of a cling stamp (I am in the middle of a huge furniture change over in my craft room, or I could pull it right out from the shelf it USED to be on, to my upper left to t you the name=) ). But since you're only doing one stamp, if you can message me your information and the size of the stamp, I would be happy to share a piece with you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2019, 09:10 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 296 Likes on 115 Posts

I've found that the freezer works as well (maybe better) than the microwave. The glue sort of "solidifies" and comes off more cleanly - most of the time. You do have to leave them in the freezer for a few minutes as opposed to the few seconds in the microwave that others have suggested.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #27  
Insane Embellisher

Received 173 Likes on 95 Posts

Aleenes tack it over and over works perfect for me
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

I was happy to see this thread. I've been in the process of removing the stamps from the wood blocks. Some of them are so old, the foams cracks and sticks to the stamp when it comes off the block. I appreciate reading the tips on putting the block and/or stamp in the microwave or freezer. I am remounting the ones that need it with new mounting foam. There is a special scissors made for cutting this adhesive foam. It is so much easier, but still messy.

PROUD FAN CLUB MEMBER

* * * * * * * * S W A P S * * * * * *
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 08:39 AM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 255 Likes on 138 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janesprandoView Post
I need to have my stamps indexed —- the picture/sentiment on the stamp. What is a good way to do this when you unmount the stamp?

If the index is printed on a plastic label, you can carefully take it off the block and replace it onto the back side of the rubber or mounting material. I'm not sure (because I'm probably the only stamper left that does not only leave the rubber mounted on the block, but puts stamps that come unmounted on blocks. I'm not a Misty user, so I make sure the index is exactly matched to the rubber either with the printed sticker or with the image I've stamped onto the block myself.), but, if not, maybe some of the processes others have suggested could be used on the index to make it stick to the Misti. The label itself may be adhesive enough. I don't know, as have never needed to try.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 12:09 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Another option that is new...and I intend to purchase one or both of these soon...is this:
Shop - Stamping Supplies - Purple Onion Designs

I've watched the videos and am totally impressed. It just doesn't solve how to store raw rubber, but for stamping it is the cat's pajamas! Sandy Allnock has a great video here:

&feature=emb_title
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #31  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 53 Likes on 25 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Another option that is new...and I intend to purchase one or both of these soon...is this:
Shop - Stamping Supplies - Purple Onion Designs

I've watched the videos and am totally impressed. It just doesn't solve how to store raw rubber, but for stamping it is the cat's pajamas! Sandy Allnock has a great video here:

I, too, got excited and bought the small one....VERY disappointed. Seems they work well with NEW unmounted stamps...NOT the ones we unmount...which is why I bought the product! It will not work if there's ANY residual glue on the stamp as they simply will not adhere. At least that's my experience.
Reply With Quote Likes