Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-27-2019, 12:02 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Distress Oxide Question

This is for my DI Oxide guru's. Thank you in advance for all the help.

Can I use DI Oxide's just for stamping? I am planning to buy the whole set but I want to make sure I can just stamp with them. I am not a technique girl.

If you do stamp with them are you using them as your primary ink for stamping?

At Tim's last update about Oxide's he didn't think they could be converted to mini pads. To my Tim guru's has this changed? Any gossip?

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 01:36 AM   #2  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi DeeAnn

I bought some DO pads in my favorite colors because I like the chalky matte finish and other inks that give that result were/are difficult to find. I mostly use archival ink pads but these are my next favorite inks.

I don't have samples to share but I was happy with the results and have no plans to try the "oxide" effect but look forward to layering colors without getting mud.

I'm definitely not a Tim guru but haven't heard anything different about mini pads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 02:29 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi DeeAnn, one reason I snagged some Oxides is that they stamp/blend true colour on black/dark cardstock. I don't use them as my main stamping ink, but they do stamp better than the original,especially on clear stamps, which tended to bead up.
Last I heard from Tim is that the chemists are working on trying to get the ink to be stable in a mini cube format, but as yet it's not happening. But he did say 'never say never' but they will keep working on it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 03:01 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes for regular stamping - but for very fine sentiments (or if a stamp had extremely fine detail) I use a “crisper” ink like Versafine, Versafine Clair, Ranger Archival, etc.

Oxides are the only inks I buy re-inkers for (other than Ranger black archival for sentiments), because I use them for ink-hungry techniques a lot too. They’re not super juicy like Versafine.

Since I have a hodgepodge of inks from different companies, I select more for color than manufacturer, but frequently include Oxides - my only full set.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-27-2019 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 03:04 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 207 Likes on 186 Posts

I use DOX inks all the time, but I love playing with them for creating bkgs. I have used them for stamping but you may not be pleased with the results. One fun thing to try if you are using them to stamp is to use some photo paper, stamp on it then wipe with a baby wipe. You will get the most amazing results as the baby wipe removed the chalky texture and leaves you with a bright colour of stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 03:07 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Ditto - and it can depends on the photo paper. Some have reported it not working with every brand.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 03:34 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love stamping with DOX, but it is not my main stamping ink. I like using it for layering stamps, and chunky stamps the best.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 04:01 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

They're my only full set of inks. I like them both for stamping (a bit like the old ColorBox Chalk inks, I find) and for techniques. I'd agree with Beth that they're not as good for fine detail like small sentiments, but I'd tend to stamp those in black anyway. And they blend beautifully.
This has both blending and stamping:Birthday Wishes by Cook22 - at Splitcoaststampers

And they stay wet long enough to heat emboss, which is great if you like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 05:35 AM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Count me in as another that has the full set. I'm still baby-stepping into discovering what I can/can't do with these inks, but I love them so far! I keep forgetting to try them on dark card - thanks for the reminder, Shaz!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 06:25 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 29 Likes on 12 Posts

You can use glossy cardstock (not photo), and wipe with a plain kleenex. Quite a pretty result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I like them for the great variety of colors, but especially that they are thick and give great coverage on solid images.
Yes, they stay wet for a while, so you may need to heat dry them.
I remind myself to put tissue paper inside my cards, so the ink does not imprint on the other side as it goes through the mail process....even after drying the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 AM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I like them for the great variety of colors, but especially that they are thick and give great coverage on solid images.
Yes, they stay wet for a while, so you may need to heat dry them.
I remind myself to put tissue paper inside my cards, so the ink does not imprint on the other side as it goes through the mail process....even after drying the ink.

So do you mean when you stamp on the inside of the card?

When I first stamped with Oxides (and also did this with Versafine Clair and SC pigment ink), I sent myself a card to see if ink smeared or came off on the inside of the envelope. It didn't so I just made sure ink was dry or I heat set it.

(OT - With Versafine Clair you can heat emboss with it a good 5-7 minutes AFTER stamping, and maybe longer, even though it feels bone dry, so I really wanted to make sure ink didn't transfer during mailing.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 12:20 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes. I posted about this in Discovery for Mailing a few months ago. I had returned mail and saw the interiors smudging on the opposite sides. Oxides are so 'soft' and chalky I want to be sure the cards look neat when they arrive.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-27-2019, 12:45 PM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
Yes. I posted about this in Discovery for Mailing a few months ago. I had returned mail and saw the interiors smudging on the opposite sides. Oxides are so 'soft' and chalky I want to be sure the cards look neat when they arrive.

I'll have to send myself a card with inside stamping - thanks. There was no ink smear on the inside of the envelope so figured it would be the same on the inside of the card.

While some people - including Tim - use "chalky" to describe the look, it doesn't feel chalky, and doesn't smear if rubbed with a finger after dry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 02:55 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You were all so helpful. Truly.

Shaz That really helps me with the update on the mini ink pads.

bjeans- Thank you for your review on fine detail. That is really, really what I needed. Thank you very much. Most of my stamp collection are detailed stamps.

I will add a few more in my favorite colors. I am a very patient girl so I am going to wait and see if Tim will release mini ink pads. I know that will take time.

I am upgrading my Distress Inks (Regular Ones) The full pads are not working for me with the kind of things I use DI (Regular) for. I am going to all mini's & finishing purchasing the missing colors I need for my reinker collection. I thought it was a good time to work on an Oxide collection too.

Has anybody made their own Distress Oxides pads with the DI Oxide reinkers? I do plan to buy all the Oxide reinkers. I use reinkers more than I use ink pads. I can start buying reinkers while waiting for the mini's when they come out, or if they come out.

Tim needs to release those Cut-n-Dry stamp pad sheets in an Oxide. I would snag that up so fast. Hint, Hint Tim.

As you can see I have a lot of info in my head, hence the questions, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 06:48 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Just a thought on getting the Oxide refills to use if/when the minis come out: the formula of the ink will apparently be different than the current formulation. As Shaz referenced above, they are attempting to get the ink "stable" enough for minis, which implies a difference of some sort...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 08:37 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! You were all so helpful. Truly.

Shaz That really helps me with the update on the mini ink pads.

bjeans- Thank you for your review on fine detail. That is really, really what I needed. Thank you very much. Most of my stamp collection are detailed stamps.

I will add a few more in my favorite colors. I am a very patient girl so I am going to wait and see if Tim will release mini ink pads. I know that will take time.

I am upgrading my Distress Inks (Regular Ones) The full pads are not working for me with the kind of things I use DI (Regular) for. I am going to all mini's & finishing purchasing the missing colors I need for my reinker collection. I thought it was a good time to work on an Oxide collection too.

Has anybody made their own Distress Oxides pads with the DI Oxide reinkers? I do plan to buy all the Oxide reinkers. I use reinkers more than I use ink pads. I can start buying reinkers while waiting for the mini's when they come out, or if they come out.

Tim needs to release those Cut-n-Dry stamp pad sheets in an Oxide. I would snag that up so fast. Hint, Hint Tim.

As you can see I have a lot of info in my head, hence the questions, lol.
There's detailed, and then there’s highly crazily intricate, right? So for somewhat detailed, Oxides have been fine. A stamping platform helps, though I’d say that for any inks.

Oxides were used for some colors in this 4-3/4 x 4-3/4 card, including the teensy bird. I’d be glad to measure the bird, but you’ll do your own testing to see how it goes for your type of stamps.

Feel Better ZZZ by bjeans - at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-28-2019, 06:14 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Betsy Veldman (who's killin' it with The Greetery) seems to use DOs as her main ink for stamping. Here's a video showing how she uses the DOs with stamps by applying with sponges.

Last edited by fifiwesfan; 09-28-2019 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: Better video link
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 01:55 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Sue- Thank you for bringing up that point. I forgot the formulations could change. Makes me wonder if there is a defoamer in the Oxides like Stampin Up's new formulations.

I am going to have to ask my DH about it. You got my geek side really thinking about this, lol. My DH use to make high end house paint and knows a lot about defoamer properties. He gave me a good explanation on SU's new formulations that was super helpful.

bjeans- I love your card. I can spot the out of order color. I love the kitties. I fall in the highly crazy intricate stamp designs. That is majority of my collection.

fifiwesfan- Ohhhhh that Video. I know you were trying to show her stamp technique but when I saw her Cricut mat holding down her cardstock I squealed, lol. I was like "That is the best idea ever!" I don't like my magnets. My magnets don't like me either. It is very mutual.

I really do love how she used her dauber to apply inks. That was very inspiring. I only own one set of layering stamps. I want to buy some more. I have a good set. It's this one from 1Canoe2 Amazon.com: One Canoe Two Twilight Embellishments 19 Piece Acrylic Stamp Set

I am not getting good results with it. I know it's user error and not the stamps. I did prime them, and all the things us experienced stampers know how to do. Apparently I am not experienced stamping with them, lol. I think the dauber's will help. Thank you for sharing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 04:16 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Sue- Thank you for bringing up that point. I forgot the formulations could change. Makes me wonder if there is a defoamer in the Oxides like Stampin Up's new formulations.

I am going to have to ask my DH about it. You got my geek side really thinking about this, lol. My DH use to make high end house paint and knows a lot about defoamer properties. He gave me a good explanation on SU's new formulations that was super helpful.

bjeans- I love your card. I can spot the out of order color. I love the kitties. I fall in the highly crazy intricate stamp designs. That is majority of my collection.

fifiwesfan- Ohhhhh that Video. I know you were trying to show her stamp technique but when I saw her Cricut mat holding down her cardstock I squealed, lol. I was like "That is the best idea ever!" I don't like my magnets. My magnets don't like me either. It is very mutual.

I really do love how she used her dauber to apply inks. That was very inspiring. I only own one set of layering stamps. I want to buy some more. I have a good set. It's this one from 1Canoe2 Amazon.com: One Canoe Two Twilight Embellishments 19 Piece Acrylic Stamp Set

I am not getting good results with it. I know it's user error and not the stamps. I did prime them, and all the things us experienced stampers know how to do. Apparently I am not experienced stamping with them, lol. I think the dauber's will help. Thank you for sharing.

It may not be user error at all. The stamps are acrylic, not photopolymer, and ink often doesn’t adhere well to acrylic.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 04:32 AM   #21  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by fifiwesfanView Post
Betsy Veldman (who's killin' it with The Greetery) seems to use DOs as her main ink for stamping. Here's a video showing how she uses the DOs with stamps by applying with sponges.
Lovely video; she has such a nice voice and way of describing what she’s doing in such a clear way. Thank you.

I wasn’t sure what she meant by there being a learning curve for Distress Oxide stamping. For techniques, absolutely. For regular stamping, stamping is like with other inks.

The dauber technique is tried and true, used for many inks. Sometimes water is lightly spritzed on the stamp. I just hadn’t heard them referred to as sponges. (It works great with Gelatos too, with water.) I’d not thought about that technique in a long time, and it’s so neat, glad she demo’ed it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 04:46 AM   #22  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Just a thought on getting the Oxide refills to use if/when the minis come out: the formula of the ink will apparently be different than the current formulation. As Shaz referenced above, they are attempting to get the ink "stable" enough for minis, which implies a difference of some sort...
Oh, interesting! Do you remember where Tim (presumably) said that? A must-watch video.

ETA: If minis are manufactured, demos will be interesting to watch. A lot of ink is used for Oxide techniques, and the pads aren’t real juicy (unlike Clairs for example), so wondering how minis would be used, other than handy for classes/traveling, for people who aren’t Oxide addicts, etc.

Last edited by bjeans; 09-29-2019 at 04:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 06:42 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Oh, interesting! Do you remember where Tim (presumably) said that? A must-watch video.

ETA: If minis are manufactured, demos will be interesting to watch. A lot of ink is used for Oxide techniques, and the pads aren’t real juicy (unlike Clairs for example), so wondering how minis would be used, other than handy for classes/traveling, for people who aren’t Oxide addicts, etc.
I would have to refer back to Shaz for the answer to your question. I have no idea where I initially picked up the information, but Shaz's post reminded me and reinforced the idea...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-29-2019, 11:16 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

bjeans- I was like How did she know that stamp set was acrylic? I was like you are a stamp guru. I think you are a stamp guru but I just read the description in the link I shared, lol. I didn't notice that when I bought them. If I would actually read things then I would have known it wasn't me and the material. Thank you. I feel a lot better. Disclaimer- I am a voracious reader, lol.

I know why I want Distress Oxide Mini's. It's very simple. Space and less storage.

I did ask my DH about the defoamer agent. He's thinking there is a defoamer agent in the DI Oxides. I couldn't let him see the couple of Oxide's I do own because somebody just had to rearrange her dolls and they are all blocking her inks right now until she can put the dolls back on their shelves. When he played with my inks last time he thought there was a defoamer agent in them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 04:27 AM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

bjeans- I was like How did she know that stamp set was acrylic? I was like you are a stamp guru. I think you are a stamp guru but I just read the description in the link I shared, lol. I didn't notice that when I bought them. If I would actually read things then I would have known it wasn't me and the material. Thank you. I feel a lot better. Disclaimer- I am a voracious reader, lol.

I know why I want Distress Oxide Mini's. It's very simple. Space and less storage.

I did ask my DH about the defoamer agent. He's thinking there is a defoamer agent in the DI Oxides. I couldn't let him see the couple of Oxide's I do own because somebody just had to rearrange her dolls and they are all blocking her inks right now until she can put the dolls back on their shelves. When he played with my inks last time he thought there was a defoamer agent in them.
Ha! Yes, I can tell when stamps are acrylic just by looking through the magic SCS screen into your house and picking up your stamp set vibes. ;)

When the regular price of a stamp set is less expensive than others of its type and size, my mind goes to acrylic or China. (And I’m not talkin’ porcelain.) Or when someone says they can’t get a good impression. But this time it said acrylic in the title, so no stamp sleuthing required.

I hope the dolls behave and return to their places.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

I assumed it was polymer because I bought it from One Canoe Two. I forgot that they are under American Craft's umbrella now. AC went to acrylic.

It's going to take a week for the girls to get back on their shelves. I really did it this time, lol. They are all getting a proper dusting & hair styling. I have over 300 dolls now. I am having fun so it's not a chore.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 08:14 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oxides question

Distress oxides are a fusion ink--they have the distress color(dye) mixed with a pigment which means the ink stays wetter longer allowing you to blend easier with other colors. However, if you plan to use water anywhere on the surface, remember that the distress oxide ink will then give a muted appearance. You can heat set the colors but again if you add water, it will bleed and give a rich pigment fused effect. These inks and their re-inkers are well worth the price and they will be your go to ink once you get used to them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 09:48 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 389 Likes on 262 Posts

I recently bought 6 DO pads, and already had 3..but haven't even opened them up yet. I wanted to do a little bit of research on techniques, and the way they differ from the regular Distress ink pads before I made a huge, ugly mess of it! This is really helpful to realize that I can use them for regular image stamping as well, especially on dark card stock. Now I can't wait to experiment!
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

When Oxides first hit the street I was very lucky to attend a class given by an outstanding LSS instructor. She taught a bunch of techniques. But if I had to choose just one element that sets them apart (for me), it’s that they can be used for layering without making mud regardless of colors.

They just have to be semi-dry between layers. If wet they blend; if dry they layer. And they don’t have to be super dry.

So if you don’t like how something looks? Cover it up with a different color. They’re basically opaque - though some colors with very thin coats can be a bit translucent if desired.

And if different colors are layered thickly, you can get neat stenciling effects. After layering more than one color Oxides of top of each other, a stencil can be placed on top and using a baby wipe, the top layer of ink removed from openings to reveal another color underneath. IOW you don’t have to get down to the paper unless you want.

Desert island inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for the great stenciling tip bjeans! I have a lot of stencils but never use them. Now I have motivation to use both my new DO inks and my stencils.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:35 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yes for regular stamping - but for very fine sentiments (or if a stamp had extremely fine detail) I use a “crisper” ink like Versafine, Versafine Clair, Ranger Archival, etc.

Oxides are the only inks I buy re-inkers for (other than Ranger black archival for sentiments), because I use them for ink-hungry techniques a lot too. They’re not super juicy like Versafine.

Since I have a hodgepodge of inks from different companies, I select more for color than manufacturer, but frequently include Oxides - my only full set.

I know some people who use Distress inks even for sentiments and fine images but it always blurs for me, so I stick to Memento or Versafine for sentiments and fine lines as well.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

I had heard that they apparently can't release the DO inks in mini-versions, but it doesn't make sense to me. Why would they have a stability problem in a smaller ink pad size? I hope they don't uncover a problem with the larger pads that are a result of an ink problem.
Karen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:40 AM   #33  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazekaView Post
I know some people who use Distress inks even for sentiments and fine images but it always blurs for me, so I stick to Memento or Versafine for sentiments and fine lines as well.
Karen

I sometimes use it for sentiments if not too tiny or detailed, and if I’m not using black or white, which is what I used most of the time.

But Versafine or Versafine Clair is so crisp that that’s the go-to.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 10:47 AM   #34  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I had heard that they apparently can't release the DO inks in mini-versions, but it doesn't make sense to me. Why would they have a stability problem in a smaller ink pad size? I hope they don't uncover a problem with the larger pads that are a result of an ink problem.
Karen

I’ve been using them since they first came out and there haven’t been any problems. The only difference is that re-inking is needed, especially when doing ink-heavy techniques. And Tim was open about that from the get go.

IOW they’re not like Versafine that stays juicy for centuries. When I bought my first Versafine, I picked up the re-inker and the LSS person checking me out said not to waste my money.

People have said that Tim said they’re working on the minis. I can imagine an issue getting the two different ink quantities absolutely perfect with such a tiny surface. But I don’t know anything.

Time for a different passion: baseball. Going to Nationals Park; time to get ready for the Wild Card game. Go Nats!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 04:19 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I love my oxides and have the full set. I could never blend with the distress and had given up trying. Then along came the oxides and to me it was a game changer. I don't generally use them for stamping (yet!).....I prefer versafine clair for sentiments lately.

This is a great thread!

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-01-2019, 07:03 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I prefer minis as they take less room to store. The video was from CHA (or whatever they call it now) right after they were released. He definitely said there were no plans to make them mini. Something about stability but I also thought that sounded dumb. Doesn’t make any sense to me. I don’t have very many, most came in card kits. I like DOX but with blending brushes I don’t find it hard to blend regular Distress inks. I also want to try the rounded sponges from Scrapbook.com. I’ve been rounding the TH blending sponges for years. Oh And I don’t really like the oxidized effect so no reason to buy them vs regular Distress.

The link said the stamps were acrylic!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2019, 04:57 AM   #37  
Matboard Maniac

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I absolutely love my Oxides. At first, I was having so much fun just doing the wrinkle-free background techniques on tags, and scraps, just so I could see how they worked. But when I started using them for stamping, I loved that I could stamp, then lightly mist and get another, or even more than one more, impression. Distressed, to be sure, but so cool! I don't have every color, but I sure love the ones I do have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2019, 06:04 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't read all of the above comments, so sorry if I am repeating anyone else.

First of all, I DO use them for stamping! Using a Misti with them helps with getting good coverage.
Secondly, Betsy Veldman uses the Oxides to stamp with, only she inks up her stamp first for a more subtle inking, or if she doesn't want a sharp line when adding two colors to her image (In the Misti), she uses those little finger daubers to dab off some of the ink on the stamp or to blend the inks when she is adding another color.

You should check out her videos! ;)<3
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2019, 03:02 PM   #39  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Thanks for the great stenciling tip bjeans! I have a lot of stencils but never use them. Now I have motivation to use both my new DO inks and my stencils.
Karen

One hint: when we were doing the stenciling layering technique: more!

After a color would be applied to the CS, we’d ask the instructor if there was enough before going to the next color, and she’d say, “More ink.” I’d add more and would get another “more ink,” maybe three times? There has to be enough ink for the two (at least) layers that when you wipe off a layer you don’t remove it all.

BTW, using regular Distress with Oxides can give a nice effect, We used regular Distress in Walnut over edges and other parts of a bright pink and yellow Oxide card to “quiet” the card. Some students used it heavily; some of us very lightly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 11:56 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

bjeans You are the Queen of this thread. You were such a help. Thank you to everyone who helped. It really did help me. I have decided to buy the full size sets of my DI's & DO's.

Between this thread and watching coloring book techniques this week I can see that full size pads would be a better fit for me. I really don't do the traditional Distress techniques that Tim teaches. I do love altering the color of my cardstock, using stencils, & coloring with my inks.

For my stamping inks I will buy different brands like the Archival Inks in Mini's, even though a beautiful Vibrant Fuschia Archival ink in full size came home with me this week, lol. You know how hard it is to find a perfect fuschia color?

Now another question. For those who store their Distress Inks on the wall what kind of storage are you using?

Reply With Quote Likes