Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When will it all end...

or at least slow down?

The over saturation of cutesy animal stamps that are offered monthly is, IMHO, very tedious and uninspiring. How many variations of penguins, bunnies, polar bears, etc., does one need! I continually search for stamp companies that introduce fresh, thoughtful and inspiring images and I’ve been lucky to find some, but there are so many others that stick to the same animal themes month after month after month. I can only assume that they are making profits, people must be purchasing them, yes?

The company’s that interest me are The Greetery, Ink to Paper, Hero Arts, Spellbinders, Colorado Stamp Company, The Stamp Market and Concord & 9th. What about you guys? Which ones appeal to you?

This post was not intended to hurt anyone’s feelings but to share and learn from my fellow crafters and stamp collectors with ‘tongue in cheek humor’ what their stamping preferences may be.

Last edited by quirky62; 10-04-2019 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Want to add something
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 217 Likes on 134 Posts

One of my favorite companies for wonderful and appealing images is Impression Obsession. Our own Dina Koval designs for them and I'm very often inspired by her images, as well as those of other artists. IO also has a fantastic collection of sentiment and quote stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 09:08 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 499 Likes on 221 Posts

Other than some that were already mentioned (like Concord & 9th and Impression Obsession), there's also Essentials by Ellen and WPlus9.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

And The Ton Stamps. Eclectic, yet modern, offerings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 09:59 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts

Comment on the OP: I think that the "cutesy overload" may be a reflection of where in the cycle of life those who purchase these stamps might be. If they have young children - or grandchildren - then these stamps may fill their current needs. Others (like myself) who have older children and grandchildren don't really need - or necessarily even care for - these stamps.

Having said that, I will also say that I have a serious Stacey Yacula addiction (been buying her red rubber from Purple Onion Designs for years, and she now has MFT photopolymer sets), and have most of these adorable animals and accessories, even though my need for them is seriously diminished. Other "cutesy" animals don't interest me much.

Somewhat off-topic but semi/sort of related: I find it fascinating that I intensely dislike some of the people with no mouths (Magnolia and Gorjuss, for example), but LOVE Stampingbella and Unity images - the former with no mouths and the latter with no faces at all! Go figure...

My overall point, I suppose, is that as our journeys progress through familial and life cycles and our tastes evolve and change, so do our purchasing habits and it's a wonderful thing that there is so much variety out there to choose from! We can stick to what we love and tune out the rest, right? (Another reason I do not subscribe to newsletters and such - I will choose when and what I go looking at/for!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 10:28 AM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Different tastes are fascinating. No cutesy critters for me either, even though I adore animals, though I do use one tiny quirky cat that appears on the occasional card and often by my name stamp on the back of cards.

And I don't stamp people on cards, with or without mouths. (I don't know those people, why would they be on my cards?) At an ongoing class the other four participants use some cool, weird people stamps and the instructor finds something else for me. So I can appreciate them, just not use them.

Speaking of cats, I'm being whined at by one small black panther who wants his lunch so off I go.

Oh - occasionally I still watch videos by my favorite stampers even if they're using uber-cutesy stamps because the layout or technique could very well work with other type stamps.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

I like cute, but there's only so much I need or will use, much as I would be tempted by some of them. Unity was mentioned in passing, they have a great variety, and regular sales. Plenty of good masculine images. I'd have to admit I'm not a fan of their sentiments and rarely use them, though plenty of other people do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

It's interesting that you bring up the Unity sentiments, Sabrina. I've found that (with me, at least) it's kind of a polar opposite, love it or hate it thing. I've purchased some stamps specifically for the sentiment and been totally mystified by other sentiments that came with an image I wanted. The ones I like I really like, and the rest get passed on to others (and they probably don't know what to do with them, either, lol)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 12:55 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Since today is a day for confessions, I have a whole collection of animals that aren't realistic...but, like Sue, I buy most of what is available...and that is Paper Smooches. I like the artwork style, they aren't "too cutesy", just funky enough for me, and they are somewhat suitable for many ages, depending on how you accessorize them, and there's lots of accessories!

But I'm with many of you who get tired of the explosion of cute little (they're little...all of them) animals. But like Beth, I find good layouts that work with other stamps in many of those samples/videos.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 02:33 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have very few of the newest cutsey animal stamp sets; I don't have grandkids and most of my nieces and nephews are grown up. I do have lots of Whipper Snapper stamps but I consider these funny or whimsical instead of cute: a grinning cat with a cupcake, 3 rats with balloons, a fish with a birthday hat, and other similar images. I use them for masculine, feminine and kids cards using different colors and papers. And every year I use a different stamps for Christmas and Halloween: a snowman for Christmas and any one of my many images for Halloween.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

for me my eyes are aging faster than the rest of me. so, I don't really have complaints about cute of not cute,

( If think I will like to color it, It will arrive in the mail sooner or later) :mrgreen:

my thing is I wish a lot of them were just a little bit bigger.
the tiny thing is hard unless you are building scenes for them or doing tiny cards.

I buy from every company mentioned so far except the Colorado one ( I have looked at them but, the cut off perspective so far has not caught me with one I have to have as of yet)

lately I have been poking around back at Stamping bella (cute critters and people)
and the Ink Road ( snarky sentiments)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 04:16 PM   #12  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
for me my eyes are aging faster than the rest of me. so, I don't really have complaints about cute of not cute,

( If think I will like to color it, It will arrive in the mail sooner or later) :mrgreen:

my thing is I wish a lot of them were just a little bit bigger.
the tiny thing is hard unless you are building scenes for them or doing tiny cards.

I buy from every company mentioned so far except the Colorado one ( I have looked at them but, the cut off perspective so far has not caught me with one I have to have as of yet)

lately I have been poking around back at Stamping bella (cute critters and people)
and the Ink Road ( snarky sentiments)

I’m not a colorer - but do like small images with tons of white space! :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2019, 10:55 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

Two European companies:
Katzelkraft do a lot of animals, but whimsical rather than cute. Sadly I can't justify fitting many into my purchasing except as gifts, but I do have a wishlist on the go. Rubber on cling.

Katzelkraft. I know they're available in the US through Frantic Stamper, and probably elsewhere too.

Art Journey is a Dutch company. They have a great range of unusual and interesting stamps, bare rubber: https://www.artjourney.nl/c-2863596/art-journey-stamps/.

I only have a couple from Carabelle, due to budget and space limitations. I can't find a company site, for some reason, but they're widely available. Any I have are rubber on cling. They have lovely stencils too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 12:36 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I had to turn off the stamping trends because it was too much overload. It was important to me that my stamps reflect me and not the industry. Nothing against the industry. I truly understand and you all have my support. That being said I have noticed all the little animals too. I love animals. I thought it was a trend in scrapbooking with Echo Park & Lawn Fawn. I know Lawn Fawn is both stamping and scrapbooking. ;) I was like "What is up with all these little animals?" When I go kit up every month I am like these little animals are on the paper, with a matching stamp and a matching die, & matching ephemera. I am like that's a lot of little animals. Now, some of these animals have been adopted and given a home by me. I think this thread is so funny because I am one who blocks out the industry and I even noticed the cutesy animal trend.

I still love my older traditional stamp companies like Viva Las Vegas, & 100 Proof Press. I look on Ebay for older or unique stamps. I have found some gems over the years. I like finding older stamps.

One of the girls on another forum I post at said she is stocking up on all the glitter paper, foiling, unicorn's & dreamcatchers before they go out of style. I am like, you know it girl, lol. I am doing the same thing. That's why I don't do freezers because I know what trends this week will be boring next week. I am all stocked up and quietly enjoying my favorite things until my trends come up again. For example I don't want rooster stamps but I am excited for you all who are like "ROOSTERS! I MUST HAVE THEM ALL!" Then peacocks become trendy again I am like "PEACOCKS ARE FOREVER!" I am buying everything peacocks.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 06:16 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I'm tired of the over-saturation of the market in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 06:19 AM   #16  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook22View Post
Two European companies:
Katzelkraft do a lot of animals, but whimsical rather than cute. Sadly I can't justify fitting many into my purchasing except as gifts, but I do have a wishlist on the go. Rubber on cling.

Katzelkraft. I know they're available in the US through Frantic Stamper, and probably elsewhere too.

Art Journey is a Dutch company. They have a great range of unusual and interesting stamps, bare rubber: https://www.artjourney.nl/c-2863596/art-journey-stamps/.

I only have a couple from Carabelle, due to budget and space limitations. I can't find a company site, for some reason, but they're widely available. Any I have are rubber on cling. They have lovely stencils too.
LOVE Katzelkraft and Carabelle too. Off to look at Art Journey!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #17  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I love all the cute images There are plenty of companies around to suit everyone's tastes, but I'll take a chubby bear or a sweet bunny any day

I love Picket Fence Studios - they have a mix of sweet storybook type images and then tons of grunge/mixed media stuff too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 07:02 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default When will it all end

i agree that there are an abundance of cutesy stamps. When my grandchildren were younger I bought them. If you send or make cards for a variety of people or occasions, many of the cutesy stamps don't work.

With the price of stamps you have to choose something that has longevity, with a few cute in your arsenal.Cards with Bunnies don’t work for adults only maybe at Easter. But there are plenty of card makers out there who need cutesy for kids or those that sell this type, so perhaps the designers are only thinking of those that do.

The question is why do many stamp companies copy each other, meanwhile there are those very successful companies that march to their own beat and are very successful being original.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 07:22 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
The question is why do many stamp companies copy each other, meanwhile there are those very successful companies that march to their own beat and are very successful being original.
It's not just stamp companies - copying what is successful or trendy applies to pretty much every industry that has a creative aspect to it. One example would be music. "Back in the day" record companies were looking for new and original and it was easy to identify each artist or band. Somewhere along the line (I'm guessing the 80s*), they decided to switch to, "Hey, that band is successful - go find me five more like them!" And it wasn't long before everything started to sound like everything else... This is a generalization, of course, and there are the standouts - and even differences between artists/bands, but it's more of a variations-on-a-theme than unique a good portion of the time.

*I'm saying 80s because you had the boy band faction - they all sounded similar, and the hair bands - again, all sound similar. Don't misunderstand - I LOVE me some Bon Jovi and Whitesnake and one of my favorite Christmas CDs is an 'N Sync production, but...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 11:15 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

I love some of the Rubbernecker stamps - the flowers, the freehand borders, what they call watercolor stamps which come with a splotchy stamp along with the image stamp. And the owners, who go to the Stamp & SB Expos, though they likely will stop soon.

I don't stamp with their animals but some are less cutesy/adorable and more quirky - like the dog set with a fire hydrant and the dog's leg is lifted.

One of the watercolor stamps: http://www.rubbernecker.com/product-p/1107.htm

And a frame I've used quite a bit: http://www.rubbernecker.com/product-p/1044-04.htm

And i have to admit I keep looking at this double sided one though the dogs fall into the cute category, which isn't me.
http://www.rubbernecker.com/product-p/1244.htm

Last edited by bjeans; 10-05-2019 at 11:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 12:44 PM   #21  
Inking Addict

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=bjeans;21873058]I love some of the Rubbernecker stamps - the flowers, the freehand borders, what they call watercolor stamps which come with a splotchy stamp along with the image stamp. And the owners, who go to the Stamp & SB Expos, though they likely will stop soon.

WAIT?! WHAT?! WHY?! Their SSBE classes were quite popular and I always look forward to dropping a ton of $$ at their booth every year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 01:33 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I love the unique look of Rubbernecker stamps!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 03:30 PM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

[QUOTE=LadyMartin;21873084]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I love some of the Rubbernecker stamps - the flowers, the freehand borders, what they call watercolor stamps which come with a splotchy stamp along with the image stamp. And the owners, who go to the Stamp & SB Expos, though they likely will stop soon.

WAIT?! WHAT?! WHY?! Their SSBE classes were quite popular and I always look forward to dropping a ton of $$ at their booth every year.
At a June Expo the owner - blanking on his name, David? - told me their son will be taking over the business, but he won't be able to also do shows. But I don't remember if he said it was going to happen quickly - plus sometimes people change their minds. Fingers crossed.

I really enjoyed him. He was demo'ing and using Versafine Clair. I mentioned it was neat that 5-7+ minutes after stamping, even though it feels dry, it can still be heat embossed. He didn't believe me. So I challenged him to check his watch and try it - and he did. Of course it worked. He also gave me the card he was demo'ing.

I love that it feels homey, like chatting with old friends/relatives.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 05:45 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

[QUOTE=LadyMartin;21873084]
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post

Rubber necked was listed as a vendor at my local rubber stamp convention this past June. In May they pulled out and were delete from the vendor list. I was very upset.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2019, 11:32 PM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
i

This is why I had to turn off all the noise from the industry. I don't know if this is still a trend but I remember a few years ago a lot of the stamp companies were doing these midnight releases and blog parties. They were a lot of fun but it would be like ten owls from different companies in the same week. All the owls started blurring into one owl for me, at least. I do understand the competition but for me as a consumer it became overload.

American Crafts when they acquired many of the lines in the last few years they started recycling and rotating lines so if you have a favorite and see it again from another company it is probably AC. For example Dear Lizzy's new line is recycled from a line produced by Pink Paislee couple years back. Hence, why it feels copied.

I don't know if any of the stamp companies are under a stamping umbrella. I don't know,for example, Hero Art's has licensing for another stamp company. I do know that many companies do recycle lines all the time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 12:47 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that it's because even crafting companies now follow fashion trends. If ' those who decide' say that next years big thing will be Gorillas in Bikinis, thats what we'll see everywhere- fashion/furnishings/ household, and now crafts. And yes, on greetings cards/stationery/ wrapping paper. This is just my take, by the way, but for me making hand made cards is as much about giving something unique, as about hand made. So I don't want to make cards that are like everything on sale.
Cook22, weird, Carabelle used to have a website, I know I've visited it. Just Googled and agree, there isn't one now.They do have a Facebook presence though. However, I do recall they are based in France, and their shipping cost just to the UK was eye watering! I never ordered due to that, the shipping was going to cost me double the stamp price!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 04:55 AM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

I don’t have any, but joggles.com carries tons of Carabelle stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 06:35 AM   #28  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I think that it's because even crafting companies now follow fashion trends. If ' those who decide' say that next years big thing will be Gorillas in Bikinis, thats what we'll see everywhere- fashion/furnishings/ household, and now crafts. And yes, on greetings cards/stationery/ wrapping paper. This is just my take, by the way, but for me making hand made cards is as much about giving something unique, as about hand made. So I don't want to make cards that are like everything on sale.
It’s similar though somewhat different with color trends. Color trends is such a huge subject - I have an old set of books that deals with historic color and design influences: society, wars, economic depressions, political events, famous people. Color is part of a reaction. Color forecasters hold meetings around the world every year, and wholesalers/retailers glom on to those colors and *bam* there’s navy in every store and no more turquoise.

Benjamin Moore (paint company) used to put out an unusual product for designers and color consultants with color themes relating to tone/events in the U.S. - they have a color historian as well.

Beth, color nerd :shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 08:14 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love cute stamps, but I also agree that there may too many. And I don't know if it's just me, but all the cutesy animals from all companies look so much alike that I can't tell from which company they are. I am sticking to Penny Black cute stamps. I use them for both kids and adult cards :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 09:53 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Personally, I really like all the cute critters, fun people characters and whimsical designs. I find them charming and I really enjoy coloring them in bright and cheery colors. I also find them easier to use on cards because I can get away with wonky or askew elements that add to the playful feel on my cards (instead of making it look like I made a mistake).

I certainly don't buy every cute stamp out there. I have a limited budget and a limited crafty stash space. So, as much as I'd love (and make use of!) 50 kitty cat designs, I won't buy every new kitten stamp that's released. I'll save up for stamps that fit the rest of my stash or that have a unique element such as background elements, sentiments or accessories I can mix and match.

Even though I'm not buying all the stamps, I do appreciate the fact that there are so many designs available and that new ones are being released. It's a sign that the industry and small companies are trying to grow and thrive. I also appreciate that new releases bring about a source of inspiration for my existing stamps. If a new stamp is similar to one I already have, all the design project cards are great for kick-starting motivation to pull that ol' stamp out of my stash and use it.

That said, I do find myself overwhelmed by all the flower stamp releases recently. It feels like everyone's releasing a flower set- even if the rest of their stamp line has nothing to do with flowers. Maybe once I get more comfortable with floral designs on my cards, I will fall down the floral stamp rabbit hole. Until then, I'll be staying away from new floral designs.

It's interesting to read how different stamps and themes inspire different people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #31  
Gallery Gazer

I don’t do traditional image coloring unless forced in an ongoing class, but I like that flowers - and leaves - come in a large assortment of shapes and sizes. Using them feels somewhat like using geometric shapes - they can go in many directions.

There could be one tall, narrow flower or many in a cluster, just shapes that happen to be plants. So they’re versatile, the same one used for sympathy, birthday, congrats, etc., and for many seasons. A sympathy card I just made with a leaf stamp has been used for a bright Autumn card and a monochromatic thinking-of-you card.

To some extent it’s the same with other types of images, but if a cute animal has a big smile on her face, that drives the direction more specifically than a geometric shape - or leaf or flower.

But neither type is better or worse - just personal style and comfort level. And cute critter cards that I’ve received are cherished.

Just my take. YMMV.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-06-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I like cute animals to pair with snarky comments. Keeps it light ;)

Apparently we all like neurotic as crazy birds set off a huge phenom. lol

I love that AI has been going "off road" with animals no one else has like the anteaters this year.

Cute animals are like puppies and kittens-everyone goes "awwww".

Dina's giraffe last year was a major hit and suddenly other companies had to do it too-including the scarf. I personally am loving her forest scene with light streaming through it this year. I snatched that in a heartbeat.

Impression Obsession Rubber Stamps: Forest Sun

It is kind of interesting given the lead time they need to produce...so we will see 1-2 of them with X, and then 3-6 months later they all have it. See: Sloths So I might just sit on my hands and see what comes bc I cant stand when I get one and then 4 months later see one I like even better bc I dont want two.

BTW-those European companies-look at Topflight. They only carry international. I just got two sets of Katzelkraft-bunny and owls-and because they are not saccharine. Just watch the sizes-those guys tend to work bigger than A2.

Having said that....I LOVE me some Dreamerland, Wild Rose, Lili of the Valley (sadly only doing digi now)-all share a particular look. A little like storybook.

Then the old favs-the newer gen mice and Hedgies from Penny black (she got me hedgie hooked), House mouse-I love the antics; probably some others.

For me one I dont care for are the ones that look like something I could draw (and I dont do that well)-the more sketchy looks.

I like small round fat birds and penguins-esp in hats, I can not lie

Let me ask you guys this. If they moved away from the cute outline/color in animals to serious real looking ones....would you really buy them? Those are not easy to color. What animals would you want to see? I got a huge deer and rabbit this year that are huge and scaring me to pieces from hobby art. I am not making right now so they sit there, staring at me....lol

I mean it isnt easy to do real looking animals in small sizes for cards and they wont be playful like the cute. Just saying. Silhouettes might be an answer-those are taking off which I am good with. I like them.

I had a topic brewing in my head and now I have to go start that discussion bc it has a tangent to this one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 10:07 AM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Unity-I am a big Phyllis Harris fan. Love her girls.

Chicks-Kraftin Kimmie and Stampin BellaBunnies and elephants-Bebunni
Teddys of various sources

The chicken with the mop head in SU Hey Chick set- cracks me up every time I see it. Probably bc I look like that in the morning.

I guess I have to face it. I do like cute animals even if only a semi large cross section.

Not the sets of 25 so much for planners. I got 1-2 bc I want to make BGs with them.

I think I never got the whole planner craze. Like I have time to dress up my planner. Besides that would leave me no room to zen doodle while on the phone making appts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

Let me ask you guys this. If they moved away from the cute outline/color in animals to serious real looking ones....would you really buy them? Those are not easy to color. What animals would you want to see? I got a huge deer and rabbit this year that are huge and scaring me to pieces from hobby art. I am not making right now so they sit there, staring at me....lol

I mean it isnt easy to do real looking animals in small sizes for cards and they wont be playful like the cute. Just saying. Silhouettes might be an answer-those are taking off which I am good with. I like them.

I had a topic brewing in my head and now I have to go start that discussion bc it has a tangent to this one.

I've already wrote something here before... and just want to say I do find the cute animal stamps cute and adorable. I just find they all look so similar that I can't tell what company they are by (maybe that's just me!) Then there are Penny Back "cute" stamps, those that are from years ago now being sold as clear stamps. I could never tire of those because the way they are drawn. (With more details and more sketchy art style.)

That said, if companies would start producing realistic stamps, I'd most likely only like them if they were the "sketchy drawing" style which I find easier to color than those with just a thin outline.

Otherwise I like styles like Hero Arts new cat stamp set that was just released today and other retro styles, art deco, etc. because they are different. But if all stamps would start looking like this, then I am sure I'd get tired of them too.

These cutesy stamps do make really adorable cards though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

There are many realistic animal stamps out there now - just not marketed as heavily as the others, and not as many as the cutes. I don’t use them, but one company that comes to mind is stampin.com, since I met someone who made a pack of wolf cards. I think they have both types. Standard Stamp is another. ETA: And Northwoods.

One company has amazing realistic animal stamps - and someone here probably posted about them, which is why I looked, but the name escapes me. They show them in color, so you really get the wow factor.

Last edited by bjeans; 10-07-2019 at 02:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

Concord & 9th - I really love most of their stamps. I think they really think outside the box when introducing their brand new stamps the 9th of each month.

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2019, 10:54 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I had to turn off the stamping trends because it was too much overload. It was important to me that my stamps reflect me and not the industry.

I still love my older traditional stamp companies like Viva Las Vegas, & 100 Proof Press. I look on Ebay for older or unique stamps. I have found some gems over the years. I like finding older stamps..

I am totally with you on this. I love timeless designs and graphics. I'm also a rubber enthusiast. So I stick to older stamps too. I have a massive red rubber stamp collection (mostly cling/unmounted) that I could literally never use in a lifetime and when the urge to buy strikes, I usually buy used from Ebay, Facebook, or from more traditional stamp companies like the ones mentioned and Stampendous (there's almost always something I like), Penny Black, Impress Rubber Stamps, Technique Junkies (used to be Stamp Camp), Lost Coast Designs, Judikins (though harder to find), Fun Stampers Journey and Amuse on occassion. I recently discovered Beeswax and other Etsy-based rubber stamp companies: Cherrypieart stamps, Jim's Rubber Stamps and Old Island Rubber Stamps. The hunt for "new to me" companies that are still pressing red rubber has become fun. I've found Stamp Francisco and rediscovered Viva Las Vegas-- both have huge catalogs.

Cheers,
Doreen

Last edited by Gdoreen; 10-07-2019 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Default Two of my favorites

Dark Room Stamps is one of my favorites. But, never thinking I would use them much, I have started using Lavinia Stamps. I like using watercolor, distress inks, alcohol inks and mica powders for my backgrounds. These stamps are very well-suited for my, sometimes, fantasy-like backgrounds. And a lot of their stamps (like the seagulls) are great used with other stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I have to say that most of the stamps being released no longer appeal to me. I've been collecting stamp sets and paper crafting supplies for about 20 years so I have mostly any kind of stamp there is. I have several of the cutesy animal sets. Any new releases look the same as the old to me. But honestly, I'm also tired of all the floral sets. I do get emails from various stamp companies and they are either releasing floral sets or cutesy animals. The floral sets all the look the same to me. With that said, my bank account thanks me because I'm not buying many stamp sets these days.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #40  
Cardstock Collector

There is a new store called Topflight Stamps https://topflightstamps.com/ that is now offering Katzelcraft, Paper Artsy, Darkroom Door and other British and European stamps. Great selection! I have been buying some 'hard to get' stamps from them.
Reply With Quote Likes